Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 21, 2012 at 4:30 AM Post #3,361 of 48,583

Quote:
Looks awesome! Why hasn't anyone posted about this before? It looks so easy!

They have.  I also asked MLE to put in the first post
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 21, 2012 at 4:34 AM Post #3,362 of 48,583
Did you? I saw no such thing! Or maybe I was just being lazy. :D

I'll get on that when I get home.

If people don't mind the extra wire and the lack of easy mutable mic on the PC360, I would easily recommend the HD598 with that mic.

Jan 21, 2012 at 4:36 AM Post #3,363 of 48,583
I can try them (PC360s) out for like 2 weeks and then I'll probably return them and do the clip on mic with something like the Q701s or the DT 990s/600. Would I need another amp on top of the mixamp to push either of those headphones? And which would you recommend out of those 2?

Quote:
Well, ther reason I'd consider it is because I use a mic maybe less than 1% of the time I play games. I'm not very social. I'd rather just use my good headphones and throw on the DX clip on mic on those rare times when I do chat.
The PC360 is a beast, make no mistake. Just, they aren't getting any use with me.

Jan 21, 2012 at 4:44 AM Post #3,364 of 48,583
Both those cans need a pretty good amp in addition to the Mixamp, which is why I prefer the hassle free nature of the PC360 in those situations. You might get away with using the HD598 or Q701 without an extra amp, but I felt that they (K701 in my case) both were struggling just off the Mixamp when chat was mixed in.

The DT990 is my choice overall, though for competitive gaming, the AKG mops the floor with the Beyers.

I really wish the DT880 performed better with DH, because they would be my #1 choice for those who want a can that does everything well.

Half tempted on getting the DT880 Pros and hoping they improve in DH positioning,the way the other Pro Beyers did over the Premiums. I'm too broke to splurge right now.

Jan 21, 2012 at 5:02 AM Post #3,365 of 48,583
Could you link an amp from amazon you think I would need in addition to power the HD598/Q701s/DT990s? And I'm looking for a can that can do everything fairly well. Basically PC 360s with more immersion I guess. Also, can I run another amp even if I'm using a wireless mixamp and keep my wireless capabilities?

EDIT: I noticed you said the AKGs are better for competitive gaming compared to the DT990s? So would you say they have decent soundstage and immersion?
Quote:
Both those cans need a pretty good amp in addition to the Mixamp, which is why I prefer the hassle free nature of the PC360 in those situations. You might get away with using the HD598 or Q701 without an extra amp, but I felt that they (K701 in my case) both were struggling just off the Mixamp when chat was mixed in.
The DT990 is my choice overall, though for competitive gaming, the AKG mops the floor with the Beyers.
I really wish the DT880 performed better with DH, because they would be my #1 choice for those who want a can that does everything well.
Half tempted on getting the DT880 Pros and hoping they improve in DH positioning,the way the other Pro Beyers did over the Premiums. I'm too broke to splurge right now.

Jan 21, 2012 at 6:02 AM Post #3,366 of 48,583
The DT880s would be ideal for you on paper. They are well balanced and blow the PC360 away in quality, but they don't have as big a soundstage (but still big), and don't have the positioning...

An amp? How much can you afford?

I would go...

E9 - $100
Matrix M Stage - $250

AKG vs Beyer.... it depends... the Beyers are more fun, the AKGs are competitive and have a larger soundstage and better positioning. They are more analytical.

Jan 21, 2012 at 6:03 AM Post #3,367 of 48,583
To me the AKG Q701's are the AD700's with better driver speed, better seperation, and a more full lower end.  Many people report they have more bass than the K701's, but I can't confirm that because I've never heard them.  

All I know is that these things are midbass monsters.  The midbass frequencies blow my mind coming from the AD700's.  The sub bass is there, but it doesn't shake your head.  You can definitely hear it though.  BF3 sounds amazing on these headphones.  

First round I played with them I was standing there looking straight ahead and thought that it sounded like a helicopter was above me and to the front.  I looked up a little expecting to see one and there was nothing there.  Looked up a little more and realized that it was there and that these things have amazing soundstage.  The other thing I really really enjoy with the q701's is that they lack the AD700's dreaded creaking.  AD700's are an amazing headphone for the money, but the build quality gives you some creaking noises when you are wearing them.  

All of my assessments are done without the mixamp.  These things don't require the mixamp to give you perfect positional audio.  Use the money you would spend on the mixamp and get a decent amp for them like the FiiO e9, or a good DAC.  

I'm rocking HRT Music Streamer II+>FiiO e9> White q701's (white obviously sounds better than the other colors).  I'm primarily a PC gamer, so not everyone will be able to do it like me.  

Jan 21, 2012 at 6:13 AM Post #3,368 of 48,583
I don't agree. Even a headphone with limitless soundstage still doesn't do what the Mixamp does. The K701 was godly with the Mixamp. God mode engaged.

I do agree that they were like the fuller, better, AD700.

Jan 21, 2012 at 6:40 AM Post #3,369 of 48,583
I could probably only afford the E9 for 100. Will that provide enough power combined with the mixamp for either of those headphones? I'm looking for more fun than the PC 360, but I do not want to sacrifice too much soundstage/positioning... Sounds like I should get the AKGs? AKGs vs PC 360 for fun/immersion.. how would you compare?

Quote:
The DT880s would be ideal for you on paper. They are well balanced and blow the PC360 away in quality, but they don't have as big a soundstage (but still big), and don't have the positioning...
An amp? How much can you afford?
I would go...
E9 - $100
Matrix M Stage - $250
AKG vs Beyer.... it depends... the Beyers are more fun, the AKGs are competitive and have a larger soundstage and better positioning. They are more analytical.

Jan 21, 2012 at 6:56 AM Post #3,370 of 48,583
I found the K701 to be about as fun as the PC360, though a little bit dryer and analytical. The E9 would definitely have enough power for them, but they scale with better amping, and would pair up better with tube amps. I think with a warmer amp, the K701 would be a large step up from the PC360. With the E9, the K701 will be very analytical. I'm assuming the Q701 is indeed warmer, and would probably be on par with the PC360 for fun (if not more so), and spank the hell out of them for everything else.

So if you want really high quality audio and positioning, the Q701 would be it. Get it with the E9, should work well. Then later on, invest in a good tube amp.

Jan 21, 2012 at 6:57 AM Post #3,371 of 48,583
Correct me if I'm wrong but the AKG sound like what you just mentioned a all round  better AD700, and the DT990s seem to have a little more immersion/bass? But lack the positioning the AKGs have? If that's true I think the AKGs would fit me better. I want immersion and competitiveness:D

Quote:
I don't agree. Even a headphone with limitless soundstage still doesn't do what the Mixamp does. The K701 was godly with the Mixamp. God mode engaged.
I do agree that they were like the fuller, better, AD700.

Jan 21, 2012 at 6:58 AM Post #3,372 of 48,583
Correct me if I'm wrong but the AKG sound like what you just mentioned a all round  better AD700, and the DT990s seem to have a little more immersion/bass? But lack the positioning the AKGs have? If that's true I think the AKGs would fit me better. I want immersion and competitiveness:D

Read my post above, I edited it.

Yes, the Q701 seems to be what you should get. Keep in mind, I dunno how different they are from the K701, which is what *I* tested and rated.

Jan 21, 2012 at 7:04 AM Post #3,373 of 48,583

Well, I don't want something more analytical, I want something that is just as analytical as the PC 360s, but more immersive.
Quote:
I found the K701 to be about as fun as the PC360, though a little bit dryer and analytical. The E9 would definitely have enough power for them, but they scale with better amping, and would pair up better with tube amps. I think with a warmer amp, the K701 would be a large step up from the PC360. With the E9, the K701 will be very analytical. I'm assuming the Q701 is indeed warmer, and would probably be on par with the PC360 for fun (if not more so), and spank the hell out of them for everything else.
So if you want really high quality audio and positioning, the Q701 would be it. Get it with the E9, should work well. Then later on, invest in a good tube amp.

Jan 21, 2012 at 7:06 AM Post #3,374 of 48,583
Well, like I said, the Q701 is supposedly warmer and more bassy than the K701. That would put it ahead of the PC360.

Honestly if I had a choice based off sound alone, the K701 walks all over the PC360 no matter what I'd use them for. I would believe the Q701 to be even better.

Jan 21, 2012 at 7:10 AM Post #3,375 of 48,583
I mentioned this prior to your arrival here, I only got rid of the K701 because they were hard to drive, so I went to the HD598 which are to me, inferior, but easier to drive. Then I changed them for the even more inferior PC360 because of the practicality.

Sorry for the double post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back