Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 18, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #796 of 48,578
It is not that I refuse it, it is fun for music, but I listen to a lot of hip hop with lots of treble and bass, so it is kind of irritating to listen to it while working because of the treble, but for active listening it is ok

Mar 18, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #797 of 48,578

Quote:
Makes me really feel like getting the 32ohms. How's positional awareness, treble, etc?

Been playing a ton of Dead Space 2 and I have no complaints about positioning. Bass is superb as well, especially with the Plasma Cutter (packs a hell of a punch for such a small gun).  For treble, I'm too experienced with it, but I didn't notice any fatigue/annoyance from high-pitched sounds if that's what you mean.

Quote:
is it bad enough that you would refuse to use it for music?

I listened to rock and hip hop music for about 2 hours straight last night directly from my laptop's terrible sound card (iTunes, EQ off) and again, no fatigue or anything from high-pitched sounds. 

Mar 19, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #799 of 48,578
MLE, whats up with the post #1 of this thread dissapearing?...

Mar 19, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #800 of 48,578
He's retired from here. He told me he has downgraded to only the KSC75 and Super Mario Brothers 3. He told me not to tell anyone.
regular_smile%20.gif

Quote:
MLE, whats up with the post #1 of this thread dissapearing?...

Mar 19, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #801 of 48,578
I just got the dt990/32 about 2 weeks ago and am very happy with them! They work awesome with the mixamp and sound great and full while listening to music.

My question is how come the round part around the earcup is blue?

Mar 19, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #802 of 48,578

It means it's fake! Kidding, it's just to show that some models are the 32 ohm version. Strangely my DT-880 32 ohm version doesn't have that and I confirmed it's 32 ohms.

So far I'm loving my DT-880 also. Definitely a keeper. Usually when I love a headphone on the first day, often I'll like it a whole lot less the next day. Not this time. What makes no sense is that it's less fatiguing than my HD-650 I also got 2 weeks ago.

Can't wait to try them with gaming tonight. They're also not as boring as I expected.

Quote:
I just got the dt990/32 about 2 weeks ago and am very happy with them! They work awesome with the mixamp and sound great and full while listening to music.

Mar 19, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #803 of 48,578

Hey shimbibby,
-when you're listening to music, are you using an amp or are your plugging directly into laptop/mp3 player?
-whats your opinion on the treble, is it bothersome? 

I just got my mixamp today but waiting for a good deal on the 990/32 to splurge on.  Meanwhile, I'll have to use the Senn HD201s or my surround sound.  Oh well, gotta be patient.

Quote:

Mar 19, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #804 of 48,578
He's retired from here. He told me he has downgraded to only the KSC75 and Super Mario Brothers 3. He told me not to tell anyone.
regular_smile%20.gif

What? Really?

Mar 19, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #805 of 48,578
Probably some mod friend of someone I was arguing against on another topic decided to delete my post? No worries. I still have it up on AVS. Lol.

The post is back for the most part.

Mar 19, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #807 of 48,578
Probably some mod friend of someone I was arguing against on another topic decided to delete my post? No worries. I still have it up on AVS. Lol.

The post is back for the most part.

lolwut?

Mar 19, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #808 of 48,578
I've taken this post from a gaming forum (with permission) that's worth noting here.

Quote:
So firstly: I've noticed a lot of people recommending surround headsets. STOP IT. They are a bad idea no matter the price range; I'll explain the how and why.

Why you should NOT buy surround sound headsets:

Drivers:
Basically means the speakers inside the case.
6 drivers in a pair of $120 headphones = 6*$10 drivers and a pricetag for gaming headphones.
2 drivers in a pair of $100 headphones = 2*more expensive drivers and markup. (for simplicity sake, take it as expensive = better)

Basically this means you're paying money for a collection of bad speakers inside a headset, which will interfere with each other creating an overall muddled and confusing sound especially in games where all the speakers are going at once. Meaning that what you get isn't necessarily surround at all. In fact the speakers are so close to your head the only benefit from having 6 of them is.... well... I'll get back to you on that one.

Build Quality:
I have used the following surround headsets, among others:
Zalman 5.1
Medusa 5.1
Razer Barracuda 5.1
Tritton 5.1
All exhibited extremely low quality casing, cords, connectors and very low comfort. Zalmans broke within the month. Medusa's last a bit longer, but fall apart around the half a year mark. Razers fall apart upon unboxing, if they make it that far it takes them a week or two to basically crap themselves (friend's replaced a pair twice in as many months). Tritton take about 2 months to become totally unusable.
Guess they aren't even sturdy for the whopping price tag are they?

Sound Quality:
Sound problems change from headphone to headphone, but here's a few that are common with surround sets:
Massive treble.
Muddy/flat bass.
Tinny sound due to having several speakers in an enclosed space.
The cheaper drivers also means less detail. Universally true. Combining a bundle of cheap speakers in a closed space really was a good idea now, wasn't it?

So what's the point in spending your hard earned dollars for lifeless sound, fake surround, poor build quality, uncomfortable headphones; when you can buy a cheap pair of stereophones that will last longer, sound better, give better directional and are mostly more comfortable aswell? There's no reason to buy a surround headset. Believe me I've owned them, and used other people's; from a price range of 60 bucks to 250. None warrant a purchase.

Side Note: USB headsets are just as bad, yes they are! Combine them with surround and you're burning money.

[Final Note]
LOL: G35's/Gamecom 777's only warrant immediate offload into the nearest trash recepticle.

Mar 20, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #809 of 48,578
I have to disagree with this. In terms of pure information to help one in a multiplayer map, the Sharkoon x-tatic digital, a multiple drivers headset, similar to tritton axpro, was the best headset I have tried in all the configuration I tried.
I could hear more than half the maps and could clearly distinguish directions. I only stopped using multiple drivers headset as I was afraid it was too much drivers next to my head (8 drivers). It couldn't give me the audio quality I get from my pc360, but it gave me more information even at lower volume.
The drivers don't muffle on another. The sound was clear, but I do think many people won't deal well with it because it is just too much information, but I just loved. I could hear everything from everywhere, in gears of war 2 for example I could locate everyone in the map.  With dolby digital, I would have to turn the volume way high to hear things I can hear with lower volumes using multiple drivers headset.

In fact I have money put aside to buy a multi driver headset when gears of war 3 comes by, as mad catz will have headset which won't require one to plug it on the controller, as part of the deal they signed with microsoft earlier this year.
Quote:
I've taken this post from a gaming forum (with permission) that's worth noting here.

Mar 20, 2011 at 1:55 AM Post #810 of 48,578
Hi, my KSC75 just died so i'm looking for a new gaming headphone.
Considering about Koss Pro DJ 100 and JVC HA-RX700, which are at the same price $70-80 and available at my location.
Do they worth the money upgrading from KSC75 or just buy a new one ?
Any advice ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back