Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 4, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #707 of 48,578
No problem.

I wouldn't really consider it a deal breaker though.  Like I said the DSS is comparable to the mixamp 5.8.  Its only noticeable when the game gets VERY quiet, which is rare and even then you have to concentrate to hear it.

I would still recommend getting a dolby headphone amp whether it be the DSS or something else to use with your AD700s. If your not using a mic, the DSS is probably fine and it has bass boost which will benefit your audio technicas.  If you really want a silent DH amp, your limited to the wired mixamp though.

Its just not right to own AD700s and not use dolby headphone
tongue.gif

Mar 5, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #708 of 48,578
Honestly though dude, the hiss isn't noticeable when you're in game. It's not that annoying. And think about it, there's almost always a faint hiss when an amp is used. 

http://biebler.ytmnd.com/

Mar 5, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #709 of 48,578
Hiss on the 5.8 only if you put it past volumes much louder than what I even consider loud, unless the headphone used is hard to drive and is running straight off the Mixamp. With my D7000 and PC360, the get really loud at a point where the hiss is so low, you won't hear it at all when gaming.

The hiss is more noticeable on the AX720, but they aren't even an issue unless its a real quiet part of the game.

Mar 5, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #710 of 48,578

Quote:
I have a thread over at avsforum but maybe someone can help out over here.  I recently bought the PC360s and have them plugged into the puck of the AX720 decoder box.  I can hear everything fine but I cannot get the microphone to pick up my voice.  I have both 3.5s from the PC360 going into the puck of the 720s. The mic isn't recording anything. I have been recording voice messages and trying different things. 720 headset works fine. An xbox mic works fine (with an adapter to fit into the 720 puck). PC360 headset records nothing. I tried recording earlier with my PC and it did record my voice.  

I am hoping someone can chime in with their PC360 mic working with the AX720 mix amp box. I would hate to send these things back and there isn't anything wrong with them. I just want to rule out everything I can before I move forward with what to do next. If I need to pick up an astro mixamp I will, but I would rather not spend the money if the box isn't the problem. I don't have much experience with this kind of stuff so I am clueless as to what could be the problem. I appreciate any help that can be given.

(later):  Here is a strange update. I took the PC360, AX720, and an OG Xbox Mic and recorded voice on my PC. All three are pretty much the exact same level recorded. Now I have no idea what is going on as I expected the other two mics, that work completely fine over live, to put out a different level. This couldn't be more frustrating. Why would all three seem to be the same on a PC, and then the PC360s being the only ones not working over the Tritton mix amp on Xbox Live?

The way I have my setup is that I have my mic directly connected to the xbox controller. Btw, I'm using the DH out of my H&K Receiver for gaming. The only way for me to get the mic to pick up my voice is with either a mic with a mono plug or a mic with a stereo plug with a mono adapter connected to it. Again, this is for my setup in particular since I don't have a mixamp, dss, or tritton decoder box. You may have to stick a stereo to mono adapter between your mic and puck.

Mar 6, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #711 of 48,578
Hello,

I'm currently using AD700s+Mixamp for gaming and while the positioning and clarity are awesome for competition, they're not quite as "fun" as I'd like for single player stuff. Reading the original post in this topic has me very interested in DT990s for a mix of competitive multiplayer and immersive single player gaming.  How well do the DT990s work with a Mixamp alone (DH 5.1 enabled)?  Would ohm matter in this case?  If so, which ohm would be optimal? 

Thanks

Mar 6, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #713 of 48,578
Hi guys,

I bought a EarForce DSS and it's kinda wierd that the bass is too loud even if I don't adjust the Bass knob, well maybe because I'm using Denon DH1100, which is emphasizes more on bass, I have a Senn HD558 too, but I don't use it at night since it's a open headphone and my girlfriend wil get mad at the noise from my games.

Hiss is not that noticeable on my DSS-Denon 1100, compared to my lcd tv's headphone out which is too much hiss for me, which is also my problem cause I am using my LCD TV's headphone out when watching movies and is very annoying. But for the DSS-Denon 1100, is there a way to tame the Bass here instead to boost it?

Mar 6, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #715 of 48,578
Just to make sure - Mad Lust Envy, would you say the DT990s are the most balanced between competitive value and fun? I'm willing to give up the AD700's ability to locate a pin drop from 50 meters away on CoD4's Downpour for more fun factor. I'm probably going to use an E9 with my Mixamp 5.8 btw.

Edit - Just thought of a problem:  How would I voice chat with an amp?  I assume you would go 3.5mm-to-3.5mm from the Rx's headphone jack to the amp's line in, but then what?  Plugging the Astro Y-adapter into the E9 wouldn't allow for voice chat, would it?

Mar 6, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #716 of 48,578
Got the AD700 a few days ago and I like it. Much more than I did before. It took a LOT of trouble to get a good fit. Stupid me actually attempted to use them during weight training today. Total fail. How stupid was that?! Soundstage is massive. Biggest soundstage I've heard. The soundstage of the ATH-AD2000 doesn't even compare. I still would rather use the AD2000 for gaming anyday. It has more clarity and more detail. More forward mids for all those foosteps and things you need to hear. AD700 feels massive compared to the AD2000 and I don't know why.

Since I have a small head I had to bend the headband of the AD700 a tad and then use a rubberband on the wings. The only negative is that there is quite a dip in the mids and it's a bit annoying. For some people it will be hard to notice unless you compare them to a neutral headphone. It's mostly noticeable in movies and games with dialogue. The sound is pretty clear and I haven't decided if it's more clear than the HD-598, but probably.

I was playing Batman: Arkham Asylum today for the first time and kept switching between the HD-598 and AD700. I loved the AD700 for it's huge soundstage, fairly clear sound and all that detail, but when I use the AD700 I still miss the forward mids on the HD-598 that makes games so much more fun to play. Too bad my HD-650 is bad for games (too much bass) and it's soundstage is smaller than each of them.

I guess I need to invest in the AD900 later. I just don't want to have my ears touch the drivers. Luckily that doesn't happen with me and the AD700.

Right now I don't see why the AD700 is so bad for music. I thought it was in the past, but now not so much. I guess for bass heavy music it's not a good idea. For most of my music it's actually quite good.

Mar 7, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #717 of 48,578
Just to make sure - Mad Lust Envy, would you say the DT990s are the most balanced between competitive value and fun? I'm willing to give up the AD700's ability to locate a pin drop from 50 meters away on CoD4's Downpour for more fun factor. I'm probably going to use an E9 with my Mixamp 5.8 btw.

Edit - Just thought of a problem:  How would I voice chat with an amp?  I assume you would go 3.5mm-to-3.5mm from the Rx's headphone jack to the amp's line in, but then what?  Plugging the Astro Y-adapter into the E9 wouldn't allow for voice chat, would it?

I would say the DT990 would be my choice if I didn't mind using the Mixamp as a pre-amp to another amp.

As for setting it up:

Rx unit headphone out: Y cable: 3.5mm male/male to E9 line in.
Mic goes into the mic end of the Y cable
Headphones go to the E9.
360 gamers: controller cable from controller output on Mixamp to mic input on the 360 controller.

Mar 7, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #718 of 48,578
Ah,  I wouldn't have thought of that.  One last thing - I'm guessing 600ohm for the DT990s since they'll be powered by an E9?  The whole amping thing still a bit confusing.

Thanks for your help.

Mar 7, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #719 of 48,578
tried tf2 and found that (using koss ksc75): 2speaker setup in tf2 upmixed to 5.1 (via vi/dpl ii) then downmixed via dolby headphones was better for pinpointing than selecting 5.1 in tf2 (then downmixed to dh). haven't tried the 4/7.1channel-->DH though. i suspect that it wouldn't be as good as 2 speaker upmixed as teh dh vst wrapper can only input at most 5.1. also tried left4dead 5.1-->dh and wasn't as impressed. oblivion (nehrim mod) worked well in 5.1-->dh. dunno if the source engine tries to normalize the benefits of > 2 channel setups or that it's just quite possibly my setup. here's hoping da2 will sound good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back