Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 21, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #586 of 48,578

Quote:

Mad Lust, where would you put the PC360 on the fun list?

Definitely. I'll go ahead and edit them in... check the first post in a few. They definitely have enough bass and immersion to warrant me not needing to whip out the D7000 for single player gaming.

I also had to switch to have the AD700 above the PC360 for competitive gaming. They should have been there in the first place.

Feb 21, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #588 of 48,578

Quote:
Just bought some 2nd hand AD700's, should I get good positioning without an amp, or only if I buy the astro mixamp? slightly disappointed with them at moment

Thanks!

You're running them in stereo? That's why you're disappointed. It's not just any amp that will do the job. You need a digital processor, which is what the mixamp acts as. It converts stereo signals into Dolby Headphone, creating a processed 3D environment for game audio. 

Feb 21, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #589 of 48,578

Quote:
Just bought some 2nd hand AD700's, should I get good positioning without an amp, or only if I buy the astro mixamp? slightly disappointed with them at moment

Thanks!

Just so MLE doesn't have to reiterate the point himself: please bear in mind that all headphone recommendations made in this thread are always with Dolby Headphone in use.

Feb 22, 2011 at 2:05 AM Post #592 of 48,578
I wanted to point out something as well to help with the people that use CMSS-3D and Dolby Headphone so that it might help to understand what might work better for you. Dolby's is aimed at simulating a surround sound setup and offering correct placement according to a properly setup one (which is why it also elevates bass levels to give a psuedo LFE). Creative's on the other hand is aimed at recreating the space that its emulating so as to give you the feel of being in that space (so in gaming its trying to give you the feedback that you'd get in the game world). I think some people go in expecting different things from tech like HRTF. Some expect head-tracking like what Beyer's focus was. Likewise with the Smyth system which is trying to achieves something else as well. Anyway, I think it helps to understand what the tech you're using is going for so that you can maybe choose one that better fits what you're wanting or so that you can maybe better appreciate what its doing. Sorry if this was already pointed out before.

Quote:
You would think people would catch that in the title but...

In all fairness the title doesn't say Dolby Headphone experiences only, it just says particularly with Dolby Headphone, which I think gives some the impression that's not default, so I do think you reiterating that is beneficial.

I wish there was a company that would offer something similar to the Mixamp but with DTS Surround Sensation, as I seem to generally prefer DTS' implementation of similar tech over Dolby's.

Quote:
You're running them in stereo? That's why you're disappointed. It's not just any amp that will do the job. You need a digital processor, which is what the mixamp acts as. It converts stereo signals into Dolby Headphone, creating a processed 3D environment for game audio. 

Definitely that is the biggest concern here, but I think it would be possible to be disappointed with the AD700s from a technical standpoint. Of course as far as gaming, using them in stereo definitely would expose its deficiencies more.

Feb 22, 2011 at 7:39 AM Post #595 of 48,578
That headzone would be ABSOLUTELY WORTHLESS for gaming.

It's supposed to change sound placement cues relative to where your HEAD is facing. So if you were to look away from the screen, everything would come from behind you. How is this advantageous for gaming? It's not like you're gaming on a screen that's wrapped around your seating position.

It adds a level of immersion mostly from stereo signals, and would be great for stuff like concerts and stuff, but for gaming, you wouldn't be moving your head much to look away from the screen and whatnot.

An expensive gimmick that has no direct use for gaming, where it's actually helpful.

I wanted to point this out, because people have jokingly asked me to try it out on AVSForum. It seriously wouldn't do anything to help out with gaming. I haven't heard it, but just reading the description, you can understand what it does. Instead of moving your on screen character to change positioning cues, your head movement changes it. Who the hell is gonna play, watch a movie, or anything of the sort and look away from the screen? Music is it's best use, IMHO.

Feb 22, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #597 of 48,578

Quote:
I wanted to point out something as well to help with the people that use CMSS-3D and Dolby Headphone so that it might help to understand what might work better for you. Dolby's is aimed at simulating a surround sound setup and offering correct placement according to a properly setup one (which is why it also elevates bass levels to give a psuedo LFE). Creative's on the other hand is aimed at recreating the space that its emulating so as to give you the feel of being in that space (so in gaming its trying to give you the feedback that you'd get in the game world). I think some people go in expecting different things from tech like HRTF. Some expect head-tracking like what Beyer's focus was. Likewise with the Smyth system which is trying to achieves something else as well. Anyway, I think it helps to understand what the tech you're using is going for so that you can maybe choose one that better fits what you're wanting or so that you can maybe better appreciate what its doing. Sorry if this was already pointed out before.

In all fairness the title doesn't say Dolby Headphone experiences only, it just says particularly with Dolby Headphone, which I think gives some the impression that's not default, so I do think you reiterating that is beneficial.

I wish there was a company that would offer something similar to the Mixamp but with DTS Surround Sensation, as I seem to generally prefer DTS' implementation of similar tech over Dolby's.

Definitely that is the biggest concern here, but I think it would be possible to be disappointed with the AD700s from a technical standpoint. Of course as far as gaming, using them in stereo definitely would expose its deficiencies more.

I totally agree with the DTS Surround Sensation.  I watched the demo on their website and I couldn't find a link to a product that actually uses it.  You would think DTS would develop a product for the purpose of selling it.  I would love to try it out just to see how it compares to DHP.  Maybe in a year or two some products will hit the market with both technologies so people can A/B them.  This would also work in our favor so Dolby and DTS have to compete with each other and they would develop better technology rapidly.  This will probably never happen but I can dream!

Feb 22, 2011 at 10:13 AM Post #598 of 48,578

Quote:
... I'm pretty sure that's the head-tracking version.

It could be just me but they don't seem to have that available anymore. If it is I think it can be switched on and off.

What, I didn't realize there was a GAME version. I totally didn't see that. I thought it was just the head tracking bull.

That sounds.... appealing. Great, now I'm really gonna wanna try that at some point in my life. That price is ridiculous however.

And would it work to it's full potential with consoles?

Feb 22, 2011 at 10:19 AM Post #599 of 48,578
Sorry to sound that noobie :p

I do understand that it is currently running in stereo and what the mixamp does, it's just sometimes misleading when people say "ad700 is best headphone for gaming for under $100" it makes it sound like that is all that's needed.

Apologies :D and thanks for replies

Feb 22, 2011 at 10:24 AM Post #600 of 48,578
This tech \ X-Tube DTS does look like DTS's answer to Dolby Headphone I found a USB dongle with the tech. Someone needs to get this for some testing.  There are also ultra PC partners that have onboard audio with the same tech.

http://thecoolgadgets.com/x-tube-as301dts-dts-surround-sensation-headphone-with-led-lights/

http://www.geekstuff4u.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Surround+Sensation+&x=0&y=0   aprox £60

Quote:
I totally agree with the DTS Surround Sensation.  I watched the demo on their website and I couldn't find a link to a product that actually uses it.  You would think DTS would develop a product for the purpose of selling it.  I would love to try it out just to see how it compares to DHP.  Maybe in a year or two some products will hit the market with both technologies so people can A/B them.  This would also work in our favor so Dolby and DTS have to compete with each other and they would develop better technology rapidly.  This will probably never happen but I can dream!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back