Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 6, 2016 at 3:50 AM Post #37,366 of 48,578
Not trashing it. Just stating the obvious from my perspective. It doesn't matter what chapter I'm in. That's like saying Assassin's Creed gets better as you progress, when you're doing the same crap from the first 15 minutes to the last 15.

I hate the gameplay, hate the mission structure, hate how long it takes to get anything done. This is an RPG for people who like wasting hours away.

I prefer to focus on something a bit more interesting for me.

I'm sure Tee would love it if he's into those types of games, I'm not.

Dec 6, 2016 at 4:37 AM Post #37,368 of 48,578
That's like saying Assassin's Creed gets better as you progress, when you're doing the same crap from the first 15 minutes to the last 15.

Negative Nancy needs a nap.

Dec 6, 2016 at 5:33 AM Post #37,369 of 48,578

The Xonar DX is about the best "practical" sound card upgrade.
There are nicer sound sound cards, but they have built in headphone amplifier and if you plug the O2 into their headphone jack, you getting into double amping.
You could plug the O2 into their Front speaker jacks, but then you can't use the sound cards built in headphone surround sound feature,
and you end up spending a lot of money on a sound card for features your not using.
The Creative Labs Titanium-HD is a good sound card for connecting an external amp to, as it can send it's CMSS-3D Headphone surround sound out it RCA (line-output jacks), it's not made any more, so would have to buy it used (eBay)
There is also the older Asus Xonar D2X, no built in head amp and better DAC chip then the Xonar DX.
Titanium-HD or Xonar D2X sell used for around $100, maybe less

The Xonar DGX does have a built in headphone amplifer, but it's not very powerful, so the term "doubling amping" is hard to apply to that situation.

So an Xonar DX (used off eBay) is a good practical buy, as they will sell used for around $50-$60.
So with the Xonar DX/O2 setup, you can look into getting a nicer headphone?

I would try to talk you into getting the Beyerdynamic T90
(used, $275)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/302145606176?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I decided to go with the D2X, so will be running from that to my O2 Amp then to my headphones, will also look into the T90s.

I got the D2X (Brand new in box) on eBay for £75, the DX was £55 so I felt it was worth the little extra.

Thanks all for the information.

Dec 6, 2016 at 8:18 AM Post #37,370 of 48,578
Dec 6, 2016 at 10:05 AM Post #37,372 of 48,578
It's funny, I mostly agree with @changeisgood. I like open world games that I think are done "right." That opinion is totally subjective, I know. I thought Red Dead Redemption, GTA5, and Witcher 3 are three games that really nailed it for me. Skyrim, however, did not. I'm not saying it's not great, just that I like other open world games better.

By the same token, some of the more linear games are great. The Uncharted games and new Tomb Raider games are great.

So, with that said, will I like FF15? I like deep action rps, and don't enjoy turn-based combat.

What's the combat like in Ff15?

Dec 6, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #37,373 of 48,578
It's funny, I mostly agree with @changeisgood. I like open world games that I think are done "right." That opinion is totally subjective, I know. I thought Red Dead Redemption, GTA5, and Witcher 3 are three games that really nailed it for me. Skyrim, however, did not. I'm not saying it's not great, just that I like other open world games better.

By the same token, some of the more linear games are great. The Uncharted games and new Tomb Raider games are great.

So, with that said, will I like FF15? I like deep action rps, and don't enjoy turn-based combat.

What's the combat like in Ff15?
In my opinion Rise of the tomb raider is open world. You can go everythere and can do whatever you even after game is completed.

Dec 6, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #37,375 of 48,578

I decided to go with the D2X, so will be running from that to my O2 Amp then to my headphones, will also look into the T90s.

I got the D2X (Brand new in box) on eBay for £75, the DX was £55 so I felt it was worth the little extra.

Thanks all for the information.

Asus stopped making the Xonar D2X years ago, but you found one new in the box?
But if is a D2X, you still got it for a good price.

Have you disable the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS?

Maybe try the Unified Xonar Drivers?
http://maxedtech.com/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/

Dec 6, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #37,376 of 48,578
I'll admit, open world games aren't usually my favorite, but I do enjoy playing them, and hasn't stopped me from piling my backlog full during steam sales(The Witcher 1 & 2, Shadow of Mordor, Skyrim, etc.) I'm an FPS competitive multiplayer guy through and through, but it's nice to step away from that and do things at your own place. I tend to like to search every corner and collect things throughout the game so some open world games get a bit overwhelming at times. For now, I started playing TLOU: Remastered last night, and about 1-2 hours in. The game is pretty linear in but has a very similar feel to Uncharted, just more gritty. Not a ton of action so far, but seems like the story is starting to pickup, and have enjoyed it so far. I'll finish this and move on to FFXV. Need to add Red Dead Redemption to my list as well. Never got a chance to play it, and after watching West World I want to try it out haha.

Dec 6, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #37,377 of 48,578
So says the person who hates on Destiny at every turn.

Well, since you mentioned it...

That's like saying Destiny gets better as you progress, when you're doing the same crap from the first 15 minutes to the last 15.

There. Fixed your post for ya.

This is an RPG for people who like wasting hours away.

If only it had awesome gunplay and digital Barbie dolls to dress up. Then it wouldn't be a waste.

<3

Dec 6, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #37,378 of 48,578
In my opinion Rise of the tomb raider is open world. You can go everythere and can do whatever you even after game is completed.

Not really, more like open levels. You are free to explore them and fast travel between bonfires, but it's not necessarily open world. The openness is more like the souls games rather than traditional free roam.

Dec 6, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #37,379 of 48,578
It does have digital Backstreet Boys to dress up instead.

Destiny is a shooter. Defined by it's constant action and tactility. FFXV is 90% walking.

For the sake of not being branded close-minded, I did just buy FFXV and will play it through. There is literally nothing I wanna play at the moment, so I guess a severe waste of my time doing nothing isn't the worst thing currently.

I do wanna play The Last Guardian, and will rent it as it becomes available near me, but I expect to beat that within one or two days. World of Final Fantasy was an even bigger waste of $60, since there IS no gameplay. One of the main characters is visual and aural cancer, and I'm just incredibly mad at myself for spending money on a glorified Pokemon clone. It had Tifa... and that made me wanna get it. Serves me right for falling for that trap.

Speaking of Rise of the Tomb Raider, don't think that I wasn't disappointed at the inclusion of the open world aspects. It made me cringe as soon as I got into one of the hubs. I thought the first TR reboot was a 10/10. This one... I honestly haven't touched it since I got to that hub.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back