Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 28, 2016 at 7:58 PM Post #33,991 of 48,583
  It's been more than a year since @chicolom last visited us in this thread. I wonder what he's doing now. I like to imagine that he went off to become a pirate in the Pacific Northwest and now sails his might vessel over the Rocky Mountains looking for booty.

tongue.gif

I'm still around. 

Still rocking the Fidelio X2s as my main headphones. 

My only new audio purchases have been $5 VE Monk earbuds and a $15 Xiaomi Piston 3 IEM. 

.......Anything new I should know about?? 
wink.gif

Jan 28, 2016 at 8:20 PM Post #33,993 of 48,583
:p

I'm still around. 

Still rocking the Fidelio X2s as my main headphones. 

My only new audio purchases have been $5 VE Monk earbuds and a $15 Xiaomi Piston 3 IEM. 

.......Anything new I should know about??  :wink:

CHICOLOM?

So I bought Rise of the Tomb Raider on PC.... it runs like a damn potato. Never in my entire PC gaming life have I ever had a game cripple the frag out of my Alienware. It's time to upgrade. >__<

I'd have to put it in low settings to consistently stay above 30. That or higher setting with lower res. This is too much. 60fps is out of the question unless I do like 800x600 gaming, What.

I hear this game can even send the 980TI under 60fps with the wrong options. That's a hell of a feat. Not even the newest, most monster GPU can eat this game alive in full Ultra.

680m, you served me well.

Jan 28, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #33,994 of 48,583
CHICOLOM?

So I bought Rise of the Tomb Raider on PC.... it runs like a damn potato. Never in my entire PC gaming life have I ever had a game cripple the frag out of my Alienware. It's time to upgrade. >__<

I'd have to put it in low settings to consistently stay above 30. That or higher setting with lower res. This is too much. 60fps is out of the question unless I do like 800x600 gaming, What.

I hear this game can even send the 980TI under 60fps with the wrong options. That's a hell of a feat. Not even the newest, most monster GPU can eat this game alive in full Ultra.

680m, you served me well.

Digital foundry had a good break down on it.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-pc-face-off

Jan 28, 2016 at 8:33 PM Post #33,995 of 48,583
Yeah, I saw. I expected it to be rough on mine, since the 2013 one never stayed at 60 (hovered between (40-60 almost always, with hair effects off, 20-ish with hair tech), but I at LEAST hoped for a consistent 30+ with cherry picked settings. I'm more at 25-35. That dip below 30 is hurtful.

I may give up this game until I get a new setup. My laptop may also be a factor since it's been messing up a lot lately. sometimes it takes me 20 minutes for it to notr freeze and restart, and yesterday I got a gpu error. 3 years of abuse and being on like 15 hours a day probably fried the mobo or something.

Jan 28, 2016 at 9:45 PM Post #33,997 of 48,583
I had vsync off the whole time when instead I wanted to use adaptive vsync and this game ran like mad in a lot of scenes and caused a huge power draw and high temps, making the driver reset. :D

Jan 29, 2016 at 12:07 AM Post #33,998 of 48,583
I force vsync on my Nvidia control panel which does much better in input lag vs vsync settings in game. That and using DXTory to cap the fps at 30, since it's not like this game will go much higher.

No way I'll ever play with screen tearing. If/when I upgrade, if I get a laptop, it definitely will have a built in gsync monitor.

Jan 29, 2016 at 4:10 AM Post #33,999 of 48,583
Hey guys,

I recently won a pair of Sennheiser HD 800's off eBay, they will be replacing my trusty AKG Q701's on my gaming PC. I love the wide soundstage of the Q's for positional audio in competitive FPS games. I know the HD800's are top end cans, but can I expect them to have an equal or better purpose for gaming than the Q? I am using a Titanium HD for CMSS surround, and a Objective 2 amp. thanks! Great forum and a great thread, I just didn't see the HD 800 listed in the OP and haven't read the entire thread yet... So many pages!

Jan 29, 2016 at 4:33 AM Post #34,000 of 48,583
they are better in everything, more cohorent soundstage, giving you much more depth/height, enormous details, ul distortion letting you listen at lower volumes or allowing you to crank it higher without them falling apart, but you should rather use a Vali2/Valhalla 2/BH Crack/SB instead of the O2. The O2 never gave me the dynamics of the former ones, together with the HD800 but it was more about the harshness that was a turnoff. 

Also good to know that since CMSS-3D does have a "special"  treble charakter it can be a bit worrisome in games with mediocre to bad recording quality. 

Other than that you made a great choice and if you prefer competitive games CMSS-3D still gives the best positioning out of all VSTs. 

Jan 29, 2016 at 7:24 AM Post #34,001 of 48,583
What the HD800 do well for gaming is cohesiveness where as the AKG's can sound very left to right but a poor centre so you don't quite get the natural feeling of space. I think the actual width of the HD800 is similar to a Q701 but more depth to equal the width. 

I actually really like the current LCD-2F(Improved version late 2015) It is very cohesive and images very good the sense of space with dolby headphone or similar isn't the largest but I'd say it's quite natural. 

Jan 29, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #34,002 of 48,583
Mad, would you be interested in my 'PETEREK' boompro adapter for your he400? I no longer need it, thought I'd ask you before I list it.

Edit: nm, edit erased.

Jan 29, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #34,003 of 48,583
  they are better in everything, more cohorent soundstage, giving you much more depth/height, enormous details, ul distortion letting you listen at lower volumes or allowing you to crank it higher without them falling apart, but you should rather use a Vali2/Valhalla 2/BH Crack/SB instead of the O2. The O2 never gave me the dynamics of the former ones, together with the HD800 but it was more about the harshness that was a turnoff. 

Also good to know that since CMSS-3D does have a "special"  treble charakter it can be a bit worrisome in games with mediocre to bad recording quality. 

Other than that you made a great choice and if you prefer competitive games CMSS-3D still gives the best positioning out of all VSTs. 

What the HD800 do well for gaming is cohesiveness where as the AKG's can sound very left to right but a poor centre so you don't quite get the natural feeling of space. I think the actual width of the HD800 is similar to a Q701 but more depth to equal the width. 

I actually really like the current LCD-2F(Improved version late 2015) It is very cohesive and images very good the sense of space with dolby headphone or similar isn't the largest but I'd say it's quite natural. 

Thanks fellas! I went ahead and ordered a Valhalla 2 amp to go with the HD800's. Looking forward to gaming audio bliss! 
etysmile.gif

Jan 29, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #34,004 of 48,583
Nice. Tell us how you like the X-Fi THD -> Line Out - >Valhalla 2 combination

Users who are viewing this thread

Back