Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 30, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #33,601 of 48,578

Gaming headsets are terrible, any decent Headphone from decent brand are better.

This. Regardless of your system, spending $200 on headphones + mic is always gonna get you more than $200 on a gaming headset.

Dec 30, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #33,602 of 48,578
My setup right now consists of the Phillips X2, MixAmp Pro TR and a ModMic with an Xbox One. When working the sound is great, only issue is the Xbox will forget the headphones every time I turn it off so when I reboot, I have to unplug the TR box and plug it back in and assign them again.

Can anyone recommend a comparable headphone that might be physically a bit bigger?  Even after an hour or two the X2's just really hurt my head and are not comfortable.  I'm constantly finding myself taking them off in between rounds to give me head and ears a break.

Dec 30, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #33,603 of 48,578
I got my mixamp pro tr on Monday and its a huge improvement on straight out of the Xbox one controller for me. Except that it gets kinda wonky in some games like forza 6 in that no matter what preset/stereo it's focused on the wrong sound. I'm trying to hear my cars engine I it's more focused on the cars around me or worse the background music. And there is no real "off" setting where it just gives me a default eq. And it seems mic quality is not as good as straight out of the Xbox controller either everyone I play with said that I don't sound as clear anymore (using boompro) but still good. Still it's a good little device I'd recommend, although it is expensive.

Dec 30, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #33,604 of 48,578
I finally got the MA900 over Christmas and also got the HD598 during Black Friday, and I gotta say, this guide has the "competitive" rating reversed on them! The M900 is in another league when it comes to sound positioning and soundstage. At first I thought this guide was on point, but I didn't realize earcup positioning on the MA900 could affect the sound so much.

The sound stage on the HD598 sounds very compressed and narrow when compared to the MA900. It doesn't even sound close to being in the same ballpark to me. Yes, it's that big of a difference. The MA900 is literally the perfect headphone in my eyes. It's insanely comfortable, super light, amazing sound stage, and it has very good bass! The only real flaw to me is the certain bass tones/cues don't sound that great, but I've only heard it in about 2-3 songs in about 20 hours of use so far.

Here are the HD598 getting packed up to sell:

Edit: Forgot to mention another thing. I'm not sure why, but the MA900 also sounds a lot better when playing 2 sources at once. If you're playing music and a game at the same time, the Sony sounds like it has a background and foreground soundstage. The HD598 sounds like it's all mashed together.

Dec 30, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #33,605 of 48,578
My setup right now consists of the Phillips X2, MixAmp Pro TR and a ModMic with an Xbox One. When working the sound is great, only issue is the Xbox will forget the headphones every time I turn it off so when I reboot, I have to unplug the TR box and plug it back in and assign them again.

Can anyone recommend a comparable headphone that might be physically a bit bigger?  Even after an hour or two the X2's just really hurt my head and are not comfortable.  I'm constantly finding myself taking them off in between rounds to give me head and ears a break.

I'm glad it's not just me that finds the X2s not quite there with comfort. They're a little too clamped for me and a little too much pressure from them.

Trying my colleagues HD650'S which feel like fluffy clouds on my ears, these feel like a literal weight on my head and ears.

Dec 30, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #33,606 of 48,578
One of the first thing you should do when getting the X2 is bending the headband outward.

This will turn the comfort from a 5 into a 9.

It's metal. Just do it little by little until you get the comfort/clamp you want.

I don't understand why people don't do this. This is something that pretty much needs to be done with every headphone that won't break under the stress. Clamp plays a huge role in comfort, and we all have preferences, which need adjustment on a per headphone basis.

Just grab the cups, and bend them outwards kinda like a bird flapping its wings. SLOWLY, and little by little.

As for the MA900, the reason competitive isn't as high, is because there is a pretty steep upper end rolloff making it not as clear as the 598. Granted it's been a long time since I heard the 598, and I don't remember it's sound pretty much at all these days. The MA900 is a great headphone that I can easily recommend if you can get for around $200 range. It's issues were that some people don't like their ears touching the driver padding, which is a necessity if you want optimal sound quality. That's just the way it's made. You try swapping pads or moving your ears away from the drivers, you lose sound quality. Simple as that. And as you said, it is very finicky with ear placement. It has a sweet spot, easily messed up if you try and mess around too much.

Dec 30, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #33,607 of 48,578
Has anyone here tried out the THX00 with gaming yet? I'm thinking about picking that up when I sell my Element and HE-500 for just gaming (and use my HD650 as my music headphone.) I know you love the TH600/900, MLE, so I was curious if you'd tried the THX00 out yet.

Dec 30, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #33,608 of 48,578
Nope, and to be honest, don't expect me to hear anything new in a long time. Not financially able to do that anymore, nor do I have the same interest in the hobby as before.

Dec 30, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #33,610 of 48,578
One of the first thing you should do when getting the X2 is bending the headband outward.

This will turn the comfort from a 5 into a 9.

It's metal. Just do it little by little until you get the comfort/clamp you want.

I don't understand why people don't do this. This is something that pretty much needs to be done with every headphone that won't break under the stress. Clamp plays a huge role in comfort, and we all have preferences, which need adjustment on a per headphone basis.

Just grab the cups, and bend them outwards kinda like a bird flapping its wings. SLOWLY, and little by little.

As for the MA900, the reason competitive isn't as high, is because there is a pretty steep upper end rolloff making it not as clear as the 598. Granted it's been a long time since I heard the 598, and I don't remember it's sound pretty much at all these days. The MA900 is a great headphone that I can easily recommend if you can get for around $200 range. It's issues were that some people don't like their ears touching the driver padding, which is a necessity if you want optimal sound quality. That's just the way it's made. You try swapping pads or moving your ears away from the drivers, you lose sound quality. Simple as that. And as you said, it is very finicky with ear placement. It has a sweet spot, easily messed up if you try and mess around too much.

Hmmm.. I don't hear what you're saying about it not being as clear and upper rolloff, but everyone has different ears and opinions I guess. They both sound crystal clear to me in all areas of music.

Dec 30, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #33,611 of 48,578
MA900 is quite soft in treble compared to others, particularly for gaming use. I'm fine with treble roll off, personally, but it's something people note since it can blunt upper nuances.

Dec 30, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #33,612 of 48,578
Has anyone here tried out the THX00 with gaming yet? I'm thinking about picking that up when I sell my Element and HE-500 for just gaming (and use my HD650 as my music headphone.) I know you love the TH600/900, MLE, so I was curious if you'd tried the THX00 out yet.

I have it, and while I enjoy quite much... nothing beats an open can with a flat tone for gaming. It's why I picked up the low cost SHP9500. Long term comfort has much to do with it, too. I can go hours watching movies and playing games, but my music sessions never last more than an hour. Critiquing sound, however, is not something I care much about while gaming. Tis' why I chose to downgrade for practicality. I get the same enjoyment while gaming with the SHP9500 as I have with any other headphone, and I've owned quite a few from the $200-$500 range. The 9500 can be had for cheap, so it was a no brainer for me.

As for music, I'm a mild basshead, and the TH-X00 tickles all my fancies. Same fancies the 1540 w/alpha pads satisfied, but better. I don't mind the absence of velour pads, because(as prior mentioned) I don't listen to music for more than hour a day. The TH-X00, regardless of its leather pads, is uber comfy for such short sessions and its sound melts my face every single time.

Dec 30, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #33,613 of 48,578
I have it, and while I enjoy quite much... nothing beats an open can with a flat tone for gaming. It's why I picked up the low cost SHP9500. Long term comfort has much to do with it, too. I can go hours watching movies and playing games, but my music sessions never last more than an hour. Critiquing sound, however, is not something I care much about while gaming. Tis' why I chose to downgrade for practicality. I get the same enjoyment while gaming with the SHP9500 as I have with any other headphone, and I've owned quite a few from the $200-$500 range. The 9500 can be had for cheap, so it was a no brainer for me.

As for music, I'm a mild basshead, and the TH-X00 tickles all my fancies. Same fancies the 1540 w/alpha pads satisfied, but better. I don't mind the absence of velour pads, because(as prior mentioned) I don't listen to music for more than hour a day. The TH-X00, regardless of its leather pads, is uber comfy for such short sessions and its sound melts my face every single time.

I've been outside the whole competitive gaming schtick for a bit now. I was going for more immersion, which I assume would need a better balance of bass and detail. I had the Omni for a bit, and that seemed alright (but detail/resolution/clarity was lost due to the T50rp driver and the sound being as thick as it is.) While I have the HE500, it is too close to the HD650 for me, so I figured getting something completely different (and slightly V) like the Shure 1540 or the THX00 would be my best bet. At least with the THX00, I'd have a semi-open headphone.

Though, to be honest, if a T1 gen 1 appeared at the same price point as the THX00 again, I'd jump on that in a heart beat.

Dec 30, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #33,614 of 48,578
I've been outside the whole competitive gaming schtick for a bit now. I was going for more immersion, which I assume would need a better balance of bass and detail. I had the Omni for a bit, and that seemed alright (but detail/resolution/clarity was lost due to the T50rp driver and the sound being as thick as it is.) While I have the HE500, it is too close to the HD650 for me, so I figured getting something completely different (and slightly V) like the Shure 1540 or the THX00 would be my best bet. At least with the THX00, I'd have a semi-open headphone.

Though, to be honest, if a T1 gen 1 appeared at the same price point as the THX00 again, I'd jump on that in a heart beat.

The 1540 may actually be a great choice for your gaming preference, then, as will the X00. If you can stand pleather for gaming sessions, go for the X00. If not,the 1540 with its stock alcantaras will be perfect for you. Light, super comfy, and semi-open-like because of the pads. Can be found for cheaper than the X00, too (sold my 1540 for $300, its approx rate for used).

Dec 30, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #33,615 of 48,578
The 1540 may actually be a great choice for your gaming preference, then, as will the X00. If you can stand pleather for gaming sessions, go for the X00. If not,the 1540 with its stock alcantaras will be perfect for you. Light, super comfy, and semi-open-like because of the pads. Can be found for cheaper than the X00, too (sold my 1540 for $300, its approx rate for used).

That sounds like the best course of action for me. My end-game is probably going to end up being a HD800 and TH900 at some point in my life. Maybe when the bills stop being so horrid, haha. I have a pair of ZMF lambskin pads I would have switched out with the alcantaras to try out regardless, so p/leather doesn't bother me all that much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back