Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 24, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #33,511 of 48,578
A game could do virtual surround, but I'm not sure any actually do. If they do though, then it would be picked up by the recording software, so you can just check gameplay videos. I think people may be unclear on what virtual surround is, so that's why they claim some games do this when they don't. Virtual surround sound boils down to there being a front and back sound field in addition to the left and right of normal stereo sound. So if you close your eyes, start a gameplay video and can't tell front from back, there is a strong chance it didn't have virtual surround sound. 

Bf4 does the surround sound quite well and I managed to avoid getting back stabbed in tf2 cause I heard a spy decloak behind me so I guess it works in tf2 too. What I want to know is if Dolby headphones/cmss3d can make the effect even better, to iprove the positional ques

Dec 24, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #33,512 of 48,578
Bf4 does the surround sound quite well and I managed to avoid getting back stabbed in tf2 cause I heard a spy decloak behind me so I guess it works in tf2 too. What I want to know is if Dolby headphones/cmss3d can make the effect even better, to iprove the positional ques

There are some premixed videos on youtube that should give You an idea how surround works with different algorithms.

Dec 24, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #33,514 of 48,578

Those games don't have virtual surround sound built in. You have to check with eyes closed to make sure you aren't influenced by visual feedback.

Dec 24, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #33,515 of 48,578
So received ther HE400 with the velours, focus pads, and pleathers (which I'm obviously never going to use).

Wow, those focus pads are hella nice. Not sure I need to get the 1540 pads, since these will do quite nicely. It's also a little warmer than the velours.

Totally missed this sound.

Dec 24, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #33,516 of 48,578
So received ther HE400 with the velours, focus pads, and pleathers (which I'm obviously never going to use).

Wow, those focus pads are hella nice. Not sure I need to get the 1540 pads, since these will do quite nicely. It's also a little warmer than the velours.

Totally missed this sound.

You bought the HE400 (not the 400S or 400i right)?

Dec 24, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #33,517 of 48,578
OG HE400. I definitely, definitely do not want less bass presence than this, which I have read ALL over that the 400i and 400s lack in comparison.

The HE400 is essentially my baseline for bass. Anything less is a no. Hell, slightly more would be fine.

Dec 24, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #33,519 of 48,578
No. TH900 has more, but is also less linear down low.

The amazing thing with planars like the HE400 is how bold the bass can be despite it being an open headphone. It can go as low as any closed dynamic with LESS distortion.

That being said, the TH900 bass is insanely tight despite how strong it is. My problem with the TH900 is that it just decays too quickly in the bass. I like some decay and bloom, which to me is natural like how bass reflects in a room.

Since I been too used to a modest bass tilt on my recent headphones, I have used the X7's EQ to boost the HE-400's 31hz bar by 4db, 62hz by 2db, and 125hz by 1db to gently slope down to the flat line after. Left everything else flat. 31hz is pretty down low, so it's just adding warmth and grunt to the sound, instead of being a pure bass boost. If there is any headphone that can handle a bass boost, it's the HE-400. Really, all that is is a weight/warmth boost, not a strict slam boost, which I didn't want. Hell, with some music, I can't even tell if the EQ is on or off. It works for my deeper genres more than anything.

I think I'll leave it like this, since I plan on using the HE-400 exclusively. I'll turn the EQ off for the Ultrasone 15G though since that already has a pretty big bass boost by default.

Dec 24, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #33,521 of 48,578
No. TH900 has more, but is also less linear down low.

The amazing thing with planars like the HE400 is how bold the bass can be despite it being an open headphone. It can go as low as any closed dynamic with LESS distortion.

That being said, the TH900 bass is insanely tight despite how strong it is. My problem with the TH900 is that it just decays too quickly in the bass. I like some decay and bloom, which to me is natural like how bass reflects in a room.

Since I been too used to a modest bass tilt on my recent headphones, I have used the X7's EQ to boost the HE-400's 31hz bar by 4db, 62hz by 2db, and 125hz by 1db to gently slope down to the flat line after. Left everything else flat. 31hz is pretty down low, so it's just adding warmth and grunt to the sound, instead of being a pure bass boost. If there is any headphone that can handle a bass boost, it's the HE-400. Really, all that is is a weight/warmth boost, not a strict slam boost, which I didn't want. Hell, with some music, I can't even tell if the EQ is on or off. It works for my deeper genres more than anything.

I think I'll leave it like this, since I plan on using the HE-400 exclusively. I'll turn the EQ off for the Ultrasone 15G though since that already has a pretty big bass boost by default.

Isnt the HE400 heavy?
That was the main reason why I didnt buy it a while ago.

Dec 24, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #33,522 of 48,578
Sam, I actually like the JAM a bit. Just remember, there is no way to get proper virtual surround with it, unless you buy a Bluetooth transmitter that has a 3.5mm input that is being fed by a surround device.

The JAM is far from an audiophile Headphone, but with the bass boost (use it, beecause the sound is thin and lifeless without it) and its convenience, I use it a LOT when I'm in bed and at work for TV and videos.

Just try to put some padding underneath the headband, and it will be a very comfy, wireless headset for cheap. I wrapped cloth around it.

Also, if you have it plugged in via USB, it becomes something else, and sounds different. Just download the JAM software off the Creative site. In this manner, I EQ'd the bass a bit (bass boost button doesn't work in USB mode), it made the JAM quite enjoyable.

I'll show you the subtle tweak in the software later.

Dec 24, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #33,523 of 48,578
Isnt the HE400 heavy?
That was the main reason why I didnt buy it a while ago.
Not LCD2 heavy, lol. But yes, it's not light. Not a big deal since weight distribution is very good.

Dec 24, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #33,524 of 48,578
you are right I can use it with any virtual surround device using this : 

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00QQ68GPI?keywords=bluetooth%203.5mm&psc=1&qid=1450990393&ref_=sr_1_17&sr=8-17-spons

I think I can use it with Razer surround as well.

Dec 24, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #33,525 of 48,578
you are right I can use it with any virtual surround device using this : 

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00QQ68GPI?keywords=bluetooth%203.5mm&psc=1&qid=1450990393&ref_=sr_1_17&sr=8-17-spons

I think I can use it with Razer surround as well.

Yeah, that product looks fine.

As for Razer surround... ehh... I'd advise on getting something better with Dolby Headphone or SBX.

Also, I haven't formally reviewed the JAM yet. Don't expect a killer. It's a decent wireless headset that is far from perfect, but it's super convenient, and it's sound signature is good enough for me for my limited purposes.

A wired headphone would gai quite a bit of boost in sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back