Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 26, 2015 at 12:04 AM Post #33,061 of 48,580
The PMX95 will surely stay on the ears. The PX95 is a standard headband style, and may slide off, so if you're working out, I recommend the PMX95.

Let's not forget, these are all open headphones that leak a bit in/out, so don't expect isolation.

Nov 26, 2015 at 1:00 AM Post #33,062 of 48,580
Assuming around the same price ($60) and mostly (or even purely) from a fun and comfort perspective -

Sennhesier HD518
Samson SR850
JVC HARX700

Also large/wide head and wearing glasses.

Also in terms of 518 vs 558, would the 518 be considered more "fun" despite being lower to due to bass or?

Nov 26, 2015 at 1:09 AM Post #33,063 of 48,580
The PMX95 will surely stay on the ears. The PX95 is a standard headband style, and may slide off, so if you're working out, I recommend the PMX95.

Let's not forget, these are all open headphones that leak a bit in/out, so don't expect isolation.

I don't think it would matter if sound leaks out when I work out lol like the gym or out for a run.

But I noticed that its 3.5mm doesn't have a step? That's pretty much a no for me since I was planning on using it with my phone, which has a case. Any cable that doesn't have a step on its 3.5 pretty much is a no for me :frowning2:

Nov 26, 2015 at 3:37 AM Post #33,064 of 48,580
AKG K712 for 250 Dollars from NL

Edit: Forgot the link: http://www.ebay.de/itm/151643353515?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Nov 26, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #33,066 of 48,580
Sennheiser PC 350 SE for 99,00 EUR on Amazon.it.

Nov 26, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #33,067 of 48,580
I've been a lurker for a long time, and I just wanted to thank MLE and everyone else that has contributed to this thread for all of the info available on here. This thread was what influenced my decision to get the mixamp 5.8, and HD 558's.

Anyone have advice on how to convince the wife to let me indulge in new headphone purchases? Had my eyes on Q701's for a while now, but she isn't going for it.

Nov 26, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #33,068 of 48,580
Hello Mad Lust Envy and Evshrug,

I've been following you guys' posts for a while. I got a Philips X2 thanks to MLE's recommendation! Now I am waiting for news on the Creative G5, mainly for use with my PS4.

I just got myself the new Apple TV that support bluetooth connectivity. Hopefully the Creative G5 will support bluetooth so I can watch movie as well. If the G5 doesn't have bluetooth, do you guys think I should move up to the X7? All I do is gaming on my PS4 and watching movie using Apple TV with the Philips X2. The X7 seem to be over kill for my usage. Besides, does bluetooth technology only support stereo or can it send dolby digital signal as well? 

I can have my TV output the optical into a TOSLINK optical switch so I can share the Creative G5 with both the Apple TV and PS4. Another idea is to get a HDMI switch with SPDIF/toslink extractor so both PS4 and Apple TV go through it and have it extract the Toslink into the G5, but I am afraid it will introduce lag input for the PS4. As of right now we do not know anything about the G5 and how many inputs it support...

Thanks guys.

Nov 26, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #33,069 of 48,580
Well, the new Apple TV indeed IS able to send out Bluetooth, and I'm guessing the G5 will have Bluetooth input which will make the Apple TV connection simple and wireless. I guess not including BT on the G5 would make it cheaper... but for some reason I just wouldn't expect them to cut that. The E5 appears to be the same size and shape, has one port for optical/analogue line in, one port for optical/analogue line out, Micro USB in (for PC/Mac/PS4), USB host in (smartphone), Bluetooth in, and two headphone/analogue outputs.

Bluetooth is stereo only, so if you wanna watch a movie in surround from the Apple TV, yeah you'll need an optical connection. I get way more enjoyment out of surround games than surround movies, so I wouldn't mind a simpler setup with BT, but everybody's different!

In my X7 review (hope you liked it!), I said that the X7 is best justified if you can make use of multiple of it's features... As of this moment it's the best sounding headphone DSP on the market short of a smyth realizer (which is way more expensive), but once the G5 comes out I'd say the passive and active speaker outputs on the X7 would have to be useful to you to justify the X7 instead of a G5. If creative put out a device at a cheaper price point but cuts out things like BT and USB host mode for smartphones... then that would make the choice more clear based on your needs and wants, but something like an E5 with console surround decoding would be an all-around kickass device :wink:

Nov 26, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #33,071 of 48,580
Thanks Evshrug,

I don't mind watching movie in stereo with bluetooth, PS4 gaming with surround is the priority for me. I guess we will have to wait for the G5 news and hope that it support bluetooth. I really prefer bluetooth connectivity for the Apple TV, because having an optical switch I will have to go into the TV audio setup menu to change connection each time I watch a movie. If the G5 has no bluetooth, I guess I will have to get the X7 although I do not use the passive/active speaker features. Maybe wait for CES 2016 and hope for a newer X7 with enhance improvements? (maybe that's too soon for an update...)

Currently Creative has a black friday sale with the X7 30% off, that bring it down to $270.

Nov 26, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #33,072 of 48,580
I'm not new to head-fi but have never really thought about headphones for gaming until today. I browse through the 1st page of this post, the last 10 or so, and a bunch of google searches and reviewing some product pages, and I have to say I'm a little confused about some things and hoping for some advice/guidance.

Here's what I am looking for:
 - Wireless headphones
 - Primary use is PS4 gaming
 - Surround capabilities
 - Do not look like they were made for 14 year olds (vast majority of headsets I've seen that are marketed towards gamers are just hideous. I like clean/modern/minimal design, not tacky logos, neon colors and flashing LED lights)
 - Not too heavy
 - Preferably either doesn't have a microphone or the microphone is hidden/not visible. Mic is unimportant, I have zero interest in talking during games, so if a mic is there I don't want to know about it.
 - OK for occasional tv/movie on new Apple TV
 - Open to as much as $400, ideally in the $300 price range

When I browse the rest of the internet besides head-fi, I see stuff like SteelSeries Siberia P800. Seems to meet most of my criteria and has decent reviews, but seeing some questionable feedback about the quality. I really struggle to find other wireless headphones that don't look like they're made for 14 year olds and meet all my criteria but these are ones that were on the short list of ones I found that looked like they met my criteria.

After browsing this post, seems that most of the headphones recommended here are wired, and there's lots of talk about headphone amps / external sound cards etc. Some newbie questions I have about this type of stuff:
 - Can you connect a headphone / external sound card directly to a PS4? Or are these external sound cards strictly for PC/MAC gamers?
 - Can an external sound card essentially give any pair of headphones "surround" (7.1) capabilities? I've got a pair of Denon AH-D2000 headphones that I'm happy with so I would be open to exploring using them for gaming

Anyway curious to get thoughts on what I'm looking for and answers to some of my newbie questions. 

Nov 26, 2015 at 7:48 PM Post #33,074 of 48,580
When is the Creative G5 supposed to be released? Is it compatible with the ps4 and will support game chat like the Astro Mixamp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back