Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 2, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #29,281 of 48,578
Mar 2, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #29,282 of 48,578
I almost kind of want COPs for myself to use with gutted 1540 pads. I really, REALLY like that headphone for the price. I mean, they STILL sounded decent with leaky as hell, no isolation 1840 pads. You would've thought a headphone that closed would become harsh as hell, metallic piles of rubbish.

beyer did right with that bass adjustment business. Hopefully they continue with that in the future, with better drivers.

Mar 2, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #29,285 of 48,578
I'm curious if the 1540 could pull me away from my "bass modded" 2900. I will find a way to budget $500 for them, tax return maybe.

How's the heat with the 1540? Summer is coming up.

It's not as cool as the Pro 900 or velour padded closed headphones. The Alcantara pads are actually lined with pleather on the inner wall, which is why I believe they sound so much like pleather pads.

So, time will tell, but I'd stll keep an open headphone. They are definitely a lot cooler than the COP though.

To be honest, I have a hard time justifying $400-500 for them, but they are a niche. I'd say I'd think they'd be best at around $350.

As for Ebay sellers, I looked at Shure's authorized list, and those 'authorized' sellers on Ebay aren't on the list, which is why I just played it safe and bought it on Amazon. Imagine if I had bought the X2 off a non-dealer. Nightmare even worse than the one I have now.

Expensive headphones are something i would pay extra to make sure I have a fix for them in case something goes wrong.

I guess you could probably buy one of thise ebay headphones with a long squaretrade warranty though. Probably cheaper than Amazon, and with a much longer warranty.

Mar 2, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #29,287 of 48,578
Yeah, I was actually going to justify a b stock TH900 for myself, but I honestly knew I would always complain about the pads, which was I decided on just going the safe route with the 1540.

Mar 3, 2015 at 2:01 AM Post #29,288 of 48,578
Yeah, I was actually going to justify a b stock TH900 for myself, but I honestly knew I would always complain about the pads, which was I decided on just going the safe route with the 1540.

Have you tried the pads? That was the one thing I couldn't complain about with that headphone. They kind floated on your head. That and pleather isn't true pleather...it's some organic eggshell protein crap or something. It doesn't degrade like pleather and doesn't get as hot. Then again, take that with a grain of salt as I live in the mid-west and not the south anymore.

Mar 3, 2015 at 3:49 AM Post #29,289 of 48,578
I don't like any kind of leather, whether pleather, leather, lambskin. Pretty sure eggshell membrane isn't gonna change that. I'm all about cloth pads.

Mar 3, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #29,290 of 48,578
Hey mad, is your mixamp good enough for the 1540? i mean for X1 i felt it was well enough, just wondering if 1540 requires more power or the mixamps do the trick.

Mar 3, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #29,291 of 48,578
 Imagine if I had bought the X2 off a non-dealer. Nightmare even worse than the one I have now.

Have you yet specified what's going on with your X2 that's causing you to drop hints about the terrible service?  Is it something we should be worried about when considering getting one?

Mar 3, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #29,292 of 48,578
I don't like any kind of leather, whether pleather, leather, lambskin. Pretty sure eggshell membrane isn't gonna change that. I'm all about cloth pads

Oh yah, I forgot it went past just pleather. Makes me wonder if it's possible to mod or switch out those pads. I'll have to see as it depends on how much like my Vibros.

On a side note, the EL-8 looks promising. Its current FR graph looks like the LCD 2.2f.

Mar 3, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #29,293 of 48,578

Oh yah, I forgot it went past just pleather. Makes me wonder if it's possible to mod or switch out those pads. I'll have to see as it depends on how much like my Vibros.

On a side note, the EL-8 looks promising. Its current FR graph looks like the LCD 2.2f.

Have they released new info on revisions since CES?

Mar 3, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #29,295 of 48,578

Their tumblr had a picture of a new FR graph, but that was 2 weeks. Seeing as they also delayed it around that time, they could be making further revisions/fine tuning.

Oh, their tumblr?  Yeah, I'll wait for a third-party measurement.  lol  Like I said, I heard a version that didn't sound very good like a $700 headphone so I'm curious to see what happens after the fine tuning.  

When I hear people saying "the EL-8 looks promising" I always wonder where they're getting that info from, since 1st person accounts from CES are pretty mixed.  Folks like Mike Mercer are just creaming themselves over it and then you have folks like Tyll who are a lot more reserved in their judgement.  Both are trustworthy but they have opposite reactions.  Given that, I'd think the hype train would be significantly cooled, but apparently not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back