Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 2, 2015 at 12:42 AM Post #28,756 of 48,580
Not the same outcome for me, because I don't have any cables going into my controller. I was speaking of the cable that goes from the PS4's USB to the Rx unit.

But, yeah, what you described is exactly why I have no use for the X7.

Feb 2, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #28,757 of 48,580
Oh, you mean tx unit. Yeah, i don't have that cable unfortunately.

Feb 2, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #28,759 of 48,580
 Originally Posted by Xander Shade 
  I have a few questions. I did buy the Creative Aurvana Live! (aka "CAL") headphones as my first pair of headphones. But I would like to extend my hearing prowess.  Which brings me as to why I am here.

I have been looking at the AKG K712 Pro  or the AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition and would like some input on what people think. I would mainly use the headphones for music and movies and maybe some gaming.  I am not using it for editing or anything like that.

I would like to add I do not currently have a mixamp running my current headphones. They just run normally, but I'm willing to guess that the above two headphones would need a mixamp to help run them to full benefit. How is the Astro Mixamp compared to other Mixamp such as the older turtle beach DSS. Or would a Fiio be a better choice?

I am also looking for an actual gaming head set meaning one with a mic. I have looked at a few. But I want a good soundstage, I am not all about explosions, so that isn't my concern, I am mainly looking to understand where my foe is currently located and so forth. I would be using the headset mainly on the PC and the PS4. I am also not looking for any mod mics or adding a mic. I just would like a head set that has a mic built into the head set and which head sets out there stand apart from others.

I appreciate any help, thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Change is Good /img/forum/go_quote.gif  
If you are patient, just go for the AKG K7XX from Massdrop.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/akg-k7xx-massdrop-first-edition-headphones

This is the second drop, with one last drop coming in March. I believe the purchases have gone over the 718 units they had left over from the first drop, but you will be guaranteed a purchase on the last drop if you get in, now. Totally worth it, in my opinion, but only if you are patient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi2chris /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Beat me to it absolutely agree.

And in regards to the gaming all in one, the Sennheiser G4me One is a common option another option is the HyperX Cloud which is incredible value.
Last option is the MMX 300, as the most expensive of the lot it is hard for me to justify over the others.

Originally Posted by Evshrug /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm Not sure if the price will be the same, or more, or less... The KXX is a limited edition, and you can only order one while Massdrop is dropping them.

"Mixamp" is like Kleenex, Tide, Clorox, and Ping-Pong: it's just one brand name for a headphone processor or DSP. There's a list on Mad's guide and in my thread (linked in my signature). I'm working on a YouTube playlist of different options, problem is I want to refilm some parts.

Sennheiser makes several good gaming headsets, also look up audio Technica, Beyerdynamic, and I've heard decent things about Kingston's CloudX and Corsair's headset, but I consider those last two options to be low-end decent options, and keep in mind gaming headsets in general have a "pure" headphone equivalent and you pay a big markup for the mic and gaming branding.

I would like to add that I did realize that the Mixamp was a brand name with the Astro. I just worded it wrong when I asking inquiring about it. Which is why I asked about the other headphone amps in my original post if you took the time to read it as the other two people who responded did.

I have had a lot of help in the past. However this the first response where I've been actual talked down to where I felt the person thought I didn't know what I was talking about or what I was looking for. But I do know what I am looking for.

Typically I read a lot of places before coming here and seeing how you weigh in on your choices.

While Sennheiser makes a good headset I am not really sold on the headset itself. I am currently interested in the Beyerdynamic MMX 300. 

There was another headphone amp that was brought to my attention and it was also a massdrop which as currently ended, but I wanted to get your opinion on it.

Geek Out 720 USB DAC/Amp

I don't know a lot about headphone amps. But keep in mind I am here to learn.

Feb 2, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #28,760 of 48,580
Yeah. Its convenient, but like I said, this would be the same exact outcome. Though i guess for you, that means having a REALLY LONG chat cable between your controller and the X7, lol.

I guess if i move, id have to do the same thing, but its not like i chat, ever. Destiny was one of those rare games that got me to talk. I dont see any future game doing that.

Pfft, casual.

On a side note, do you think the X7 really helps for gaming? I have a v-moda vamp verza which I use as my desktop amp/dac, but when I game, I have my boom pro plugged into my sound card (which isn't really anywhere as good).

I'm not going to run out and buy an X7, but I'm wondering if It's really worth it to find a way to get the output to go through my verza and the input to go into my soundcard.

Feb 2, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #28,762 of 48,580
Xander,
I certainly didn't intend any heat, merely started from the beginning rather than leaving out something that you (or someone reading your question) might like to know. So if you were searching for alternatives to the mixamp, searching for a headphone DSP would give you more results – people asking for alternatives to the mixamp is a pretty common question, which is why I've spent a fair amount of time and money testing options and writing a guide; I think my guide could be helpful.

The question is so common, I'm trying to answer it to a broader audience.

Now if you're just looking for an amp rather than something that can process surround sound, that's a whole other question. Some good all-rounder desktop choices around $100 are the FiiO E09k, Schiit Magni or Vali, or a tube hybrid amp from Garage1217. I've had good success from my two FiiO amps, but i haven't tried the E09K myself (but it's consistently just well-reviewed), I did try the Vali and was impressed in it's performance for the dollar but it does have microphonics issues (ringing sound of you tap it or plug in headphones, lasting a minute).

The other two people you quoted made headphone/headset suggestions, but I didn't see them suggest any headphone DSPs. Again, I wasn't speaking down on you... I legitimately thought I was giving some info on a part of your question which hadn't yet been answered, and I tried not to assume how much you already knew.

Feb 2, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #28,763 of 48,580
Hapster, lol. I am. A casual who plays a lot... just alone. :p

As for will it help you? If you've grown accustome to virtual surround... then yes. No audiophile amp/dac will come remotely close tp even the WORST Mixamp you can buy. Having Virtual surround is a boon in it of itself. Just my 2 cents. Those who swear against it... well, they're just used to limiting themselves to headphone stereo. I prefer my sound more spacious and speaker-like. Things around you actually sound like they're around you, and not restricted to an audio line going through your head for the most part.

Guys, let me know when the X7 LE goes on sale.

Will do, friend-o. I just wish the LE didn't have that atrocious white color.

Feb 3, 2015 at 6:39 AM Post #28,764 of 48,580
http://headphone.guru/sennheiser-urbanite-on-ear-headphone/

Hey guys, my Urbanite On Ear review is up on guru. Not really worth mentioning for games, so I may not add it to the guide. In fact, I won't since I didn't write up a gaming section when I had the headphones, and I don't wanna make stuff up. Since my guide is gaming oriented, I'll just say that I highly enjoyed the Urbanite (really liked their sound, a LOT), but it wouldn't be my first, second, or 10th choice for gaming due to very intimate/up front/non-spacious sound.

Feb 3, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #28,765 of 48,580
^Nice. I still have yet to find a portable to my liking. I was thinking of trying those, eventually, but that recessed treble I keep reading about is what will keep me from buying a pair.

The MOE was almost right, but a bit too v-shaped for me, even more so than my H3. I might try the MOE 2.0 once the price drops a bit and more reviews are shared, as I'm not sure if any changes have been made, sonically.

Feb 3, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #28,767 of 48,580
Anybody had a chance to play Hardline beta? What do You guys think of the sound engine?

Feb 3, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #28,768 of 48,580
  Anybody had a chance to play Hardline beta? What do You guys think of the sound engine?

Forgot about that!  I just started the download now, I'll check it out when I get home.

Feb 3, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #28,769 of 48,580
Just got home and downloading mine, as well. I'm sure I'll be on my my BF4 buddies, tonight, but not for too long. I have to work both jobs, tomorrow, so I'll need the extra sleep time.

Edit: Have to wait for the PS Store to update. Damnit...

Feb 3, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #28,770 of 48,580
The install time is killing me. Only 5% during the last 15 minutes. Get your schiit together Visceral.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back