Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 2, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #28,082 of 48,578
I've tested the Soundblaster Recon 3d for a few days. Aside from the very noticeable difference in sound quality as a whole (audible even in the PS4 menu) I couldn't really differentiate it from the Dolby Headphone used by the Mixamp. Am I doing something wrong or is the difference so subtle, my ears haven't picked it up?

Jan 2, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #28,083 of 48,578
That is an excellent setup for PC gaming, yes.  

Maybe someone who's heard the ZxR can comment on whether it's better to get a ZxR or a Z and a Magni/O2/E09k/etc.

I am interested in this as well. I am trying to finish up my sick new PC build. All I have left to buy is sound. I need some advice from you guys. This forum has been wonderful and the information here has been great but I'm finding myself very confused at this point.

My needs are, headphones, sound card or dac and amp.

I love edm and bassy music such as hip hop, the setup needs to be great for playing competitive fps games (very important).

I am in a very loud living room environment with my girlfriend watching tv, on the phone or just generally being noisy so I am concerned about buying open back headphones, though, without them I feel like I will lose my edge in competitive gaming.

Money is no object here, I am looking for the best setup with my needs met as I am new to this. I currently have the v-mode m-100's with a boom mic attached going direct to onboard alc 1150 Realtek audio with sbx onboard. The m-100's are very heavy and hot and they become uncomfortable to wear in less then and hour, though they do sound great for music but I'm not a fan of there positional accuracy and sound stage.

So to reiterate, I need a bass heavy headphone that will do well in a noisy environment, be great at competitive gaming and be comfortable for long wear times. I also need either a sound card or dac/amp recommendation that will surpass the new Realtek alc 1150 with sbx for my PC and be able to drive the recommended headphones.

Currently from what I gathered, the fidelio x2's with my boom mic and a magni 2 hooked up to my onboard sound or possibly a soundcard would be my best option. But like I said I'm lost.

Thanks in advance.

Jan 2, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #28,084 of 48,578
  I've tested the Soundblaster Recon 3d for a few days. Aside from the very noticeable difference in sound quality as a whole (audible even in the PS4 menu) I couldn't really differentiate it from the Dolby Headphone used by the Mixamp. Am I doing something wrong or is the difference so subtle, my ears haven't picked it up?

I suggest plugging it into your PC to check the settings.  I think it comes with some wonky default settings.  Then be sure to save the settings to the device before you unplug it or it will revert when you plug it into your console.

Jan 2, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #28,085 of 48,578

I suggest plugging it into your PC to check the settings.  I think it comes with some wonky default settings.  Then be sure to save the settings to the device before you unplug it or it will revert when you plug it into your console.

I did configure it. I set it to 100% surround with no crystallizer and no bass boost. Still sounds pretty mixamp-y to me. Maybe the settings were not saved.

Jan 2, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #28,086 of 48,578
^ Try 67 Surround.
I preferred it to 100.
With the SBX, many people prefer different settings so try experimenting yourself 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 2, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #28,087 of 48,578
With all the other options to off? I tried the Crystallizer and though I could hear the difference I'm not sure if it helps

Jan 2, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #28,088 of 48,578
  I did configure it. I set it to 100% surround with no crystallizer and no bass boost. Still sounds pretty mixamp-y to me. Maybe the settings were not saved.

^ Try 67 Surround.
I preferred it to 100.
With the SBX, many people prefer different settings so try experimenting yourself 
smily_headphones1.gif

This.  Chicolom's video showed that 100% SBX sound a lot more immersive and "Mixampy".  66% surround gives more precise placement at the cost of some "immersion" and "realism".

And yeah, everything else off.

Jan 2, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #28,089 of 48,578
The Creative X7 which everyone seems to be buying costs about $399 new, and has no HDMI input, right?

The Sony MDR-HW700DS can be had for less than that on eBay and has HDMI passthrough with Sony's own virtual surround algorithm. Don't know if Sony's algorithm (or headphones) are any good but worth a try surely, given that it can virtualise a lossless 7.1 input, whereas optical only has enough bandwidth for lossy 5.1 (Dolby Digital is a pretty ancient format now).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-SONY-MDR-HW700DS-9-1ch-Digital-Surround-Wireless-Headphone-System-from-Japan-/151155512509?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item23319214bd

?

Jan 2, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #28,090 of 48,578
Not worth it. No binaural passthrough so dependency on the SONY earphones unavoidable. Center sounds in your head which is horrible for watching movies with speaker room HRTF. HD 800 + SBX completely removes that "uncanny" effect.

X7 definitely recommended above the SONY though ac3 only is ridiculous

Jan 2, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #28,091 of 48,578
Center sounds in your head which is horrible for watching movies with speaker room HRTF

What do you mean? It's true that you're taking a punt on whether the Sony headphones are any good but surely whether you get "center sounds on your head" depends on the quality of Sony's virtual surround sound technology? I don't know whether this is any good but it seems to have decent reviews on Amazon.

Jan 2, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #28,092 of 48,578
  The Creative X7 which everyone seems to be buying costs about $399 new, and has no HDMI input, right?

The Sony MDR-HW700DS can be had for less than that on eBay and has HDMI passthrough with Sony's own virtual surround algorithm. Don't know if Sony's algorithm (or headphones) are any good but worth a try surely, given that it can virtualise a lossless 7.1 input, whereas optical only has enough bandwidth for lossy 5.1 (Dolby Digital is a pretty ancient format now).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-SONY-MDR-HW700DS-9-1ch-Digital-Surround-Wireless-Headphone-System-from-Japan-/151155512509?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item23319214bd

?

Said this several times already, Sony's VSS DSP is poor. Listen to DLPII and you pretty much have listened to Sony's VSS (of course one is upmix and the other is downmix, which makes Sony's VSS even worse in comparison). Rear cues are just... almost non existant. It's too roomy and has very poor placement.

Dolby Headphone may be ancient, but... it's still great and that's all that really matters. Sound aren't visuals where we need to have more and more prettier things to look at everyday, great sound lives forever.

Jan 2, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #28,093 of 48,578
Okay, did some standard testing in P.T (seriously, this demo has an amazing audio engine). 67% Is great. Too bad I have to unplug it from the PC to adjust the settings. I recommend You guys use this demo for positional accuracy testing. It's amazing

Jan 2, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #28,094 of 48,578

Said this several times already, Sony's VSS DSP is poor. Listen to DLPII and you pretty much have listened to Sony's VSS (of course one is upmix and the other is downmix, which makes Sony's VSS even worse in comparison). Rear cues are just... almost non existant. It's too roomy and has very poor placement.

Dolby Headphone may be ancient, but... it's still great and that's all that really matters. Sound aren't visuals where we need to have more and more prettier things to look at everyday, great sound lives forever.

Ah, didn't realise Sony's DSP was no good.

Still, I can't see why nobody produces anything (other than an AVR or a Smyth Realiser) with HDMI in + Dolby Headphone or DTX Headphone:X...

Jan 2, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #28,095 of 48,578

Ah, didn't realise Sony's DSP was no good.

Still, I can't see why nobody produces anything (other than an AVR or a Smyth Realiser) with HDMI in + Dolby Headphone or DTX Headphone:X...

Because virtual surround is still a niche within a niche.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back