Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 19, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #27,842 of 48,580
I'm thinking about trying out some AKGs, as I've never had them before. Leaning twords the Q701s, but was also considering the K701's or 612's. I've read the reviews here and elsewhere. Just curious if anyone here has a preference on one over the other and why?

I have an amp so power is not an issue. Currently have dt990's, ath a700's and PC 350 SE's, I don't think any of these are too similar in sound signature to the Q701's?

Thanks

Dec 19, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #27,843 of 48,580
  All great info Evshrug and I'm right on page with you (Yes I want just Stereo. Not a fan of virtual surround sound). Amazon has the Z for $68 bucks, but I was looking at the Zx because of the volume control since I read the issue with the Z is a lack of a gain control. So setting the window volume to around 10 on low impedance cans seems to be standard. So I was thinking the volume control on the ACM would help combat some of this, but then after thinking about it I never mess with the volume once I have it set anyhow so the standard Z will be best option.

As far as the "electric waste" lol, I have not turned my PC off in 6 years hahaha. Not really but pretty darn close. I work in the IT field so computers is my forte. It won't be a issue with the computer on all the time, it is already and PS4 in sleep mode until game time.

My only concern is how will I be flipping between PC or PS4 output to the headphones? I've never ran a optical IN connection on a sound card, in the creative UI is there a option to choose between the "optical in" or is both audio pushed through at same time?

My thing is, if I can get a year out the Sound Blaster Z setup with my PS4 run through the card and the card amping the headphones. Then for $68 bucks that is a pretty good price point for the options.

I'm also going to grab a USB blue snowball.

Keep in mind that the only thing the volume know on the Zx does is adjust the Windows volume so it's the same thing.  But, if you want an external volume control and don't want to pay for the Zx, check out the Omni too.  It's the same thing as the Z, just USB instead of PCI.

I haven't tried, but I assume it works the same as any other audio inputs in Windows.  Click the little speaker in the lower left (system tray), then click "Mixer",  It'll bring up all your volumes and you just adjust as needed.  If that doesn't work, right click the speaker and go to "recording devices" insead of "playback devices".  The Z software probably has sliders for this too.

Right, but it doesn't work without the magic cable.

What about some sort of wireless toslink transceiver and a wireless USB thing?

I use it without the magic cable on my Xbox One and it works perfectly fine.  I think it's only an issue on the PS4.

Dec 19, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #27,844 of 48,580
So, I actually put the question to Creative, and they specifically said the headphone output impedance is 2.2 ohms.

Like I said earlier, Texas Instruments recommended a 10 ohm output impedance, but it's not built into the TPA6120A. Creative's engineers must've found another solution instead of a 10 ohm resistor to manage current.

So Whaddya know, it IS MADE FOR ALL YOUR BEAUTIFUL HEADPHONES, haha!

This is a very late reply, but thanks for proving me wrong. So the X7 then, isn't just an external ZxR. It's better than it!

Bummer that HOHOHO3 bug on their site doesn't work anymore. BTW, if it doesn't trouble you, can you check the op-amps on the X7? I just want final confirmation if Creative did change the op-amps that came with the ZxR on the X7 or not. 

The ZxR op-amps were 2 LME 49710NA and JRC 2114s. Would be another point in tweaking flavour for the X7 as well.

Dec 19, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #27,845 of 48,580
Right, but it doesn't work without the magic cable.

What about some sort of wireless toslink transceiver and a wireless USB thing?

I'm Wondering if the GoPro video camera's USB-to-analogue mic cable will achieve the same thing, but most people use Turtle Beach's PS4 chat cable and connect that to the Dual Shock 4's headphone jack and the mixamp 5.8. I personally didn't mind attaching a clip-on mic to my 360's controller, but for some reason I never took to the Mixamp 5.8 setup.

Keep in mind that the only thing the volume know on the Zx does is adjust the Windows volume so it's the same thing.  But, if you want an external volume control and don't want to pay for the Zx, check out the Omni too.  It's the same thing as the Z, just USB instead of PCI.

I use it without the magic cable on my Xbox One and it works perfectly fine.  I think it's only an issue on the PS4.

The "magic cable" is a USB DAC recoignized as a microphone. The PS4 could be connected to the 5.8 in the same way as on the Xbox.

I don't think the Omni has an optical input. Also, the Omni's volume controls Window's digital gain setting, while the Zx's ACM is a passive analogue thing that leaves the computer's volume setting the same, and then attenuates the sound downwards from that output (much like the volume dials built into some gaming headset wires). It's a resistor in the signal path, it will degrade audio quality a bit but whether it's bothersome whilst playing is up for subjective opinion.

Dec 19, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #27,846 of 48,580
This is a very late reply, but thanks for proving me wrong. So the X7 then, isn't just an external ZxR. It's better than it!

The ZxR op-amps were 2 [COLOR=000000]LME 49710NA and JRC 2114s[/COLOR][COLOR=666666].[/COLOR] [COLOR=000000]Would be another point in tweaking flavour for the X7 as well.[/COLOR]

I'll show ya in my review, away from Mad's headphone page :wink:

Dec 19, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #27,847 of 48,580
I'm Wondering if the GoPro video camera's USB-to-analogue mic cable will achieve the same thing, but most people use Turtle Beach's PS4 chat cable and connect that to the Dual Shock 4's headphone jack and the mixamp 5.8. I personally didn't mind attaching a clip-on mic to my 360's controller, but for some reason I never took to the Mixamp 5.8 setup.
The "magic cable" is a USB DAC recoignized as a microphone. The PS4 could be connected to the 5.8 in the same way as on the Xbox.

I don't think the Omni has an optical input. Also, the Omni's volume controls Window's digital gain setting, while the Zx's ACM is a passive analogue thing that leaves the computer's volume setting the same, and then attenuates the sound downwards from that output (much like the volume dials built into some gaming headset wires). It's a resistor in the signal path, it will degrade audio quality a bit but whether it's bothersome whilst playing is up for subjective opinion.

Ah, thanks for the correction. I thought they were the same thing, but I guess they're not.

Dec 19, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #27,848 of 48,580
Ah, thanks for the correction. I thought they were the same thing, but I guess they're not.

Yeah, the Omni changes the PC volume like the volume keys on some keyboards do, while the ACM is more of an attenuator.

Dec 19, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #27,849 of 48,580
Did I miss the update on the Philips Fidelio X2. I'd like to know how they compare to other headphones in the guide. What rating do they get on the fun, competitive, and comfort scale? I'd like to know because I'm shopping for headphones over the holidays. I'd like to pair the X2, V-moda mic, and Creative X7 together for gaming.

Dec 20, 2014 at 12:45 AM Post #27,850 of 48,580
I haven't reviewed it yet, but I can give you a short answer: It's my fave headphone for all around use. It does everything well. Gaming, music, comfort, soundstage, bass, vocals, clarity, etc. Philips knocked it out of the ballpark. It will be my #1 recommendation for those that want a headphone that does everything at least good or better. I'm not saying it's the best at any one thing. I'm saying that the whole package makes it a must have if you need that one headphone that can handle anything.

Dec 20, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #27,851 of 48,580
hello people this board and compatible with my DSS2 to just turn the microphone on xbox one? why here so am finding these .. http://www.amazon.com/igloon-TM-External-Channel-Adapter/dp/B00NLEAQ92/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1419108226&sr=8-13&keywords=adapter+7.1+usb

Dec 20, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #27,852 of 48,580

I haven't tried, but I assume it works the same as any other audio inputs in Windows.  Click the little speaker in the lower left (system tray), then click "Mixer",  It'll bring up all your volumes and you just adjust as needed.  If that doesn't work, right click the speaker and go to "recording devices" insead of "playback devices".  The Z software probably has sliders for this too.

Appreciate it Still,

I looked at the Omni and it looks like the ticket for control, with that said I think I'll still go the Z route just for the amping power. If I'm not mistaken the Omni is a little weaker. It could be a addition down the road to make controlling everything easier.

Dec 20, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #27,853 of 48,580
  Appreciate it Still,

I looked at the Omni and it looks like the ticket for control, with that said I think I'll still go the Z route just for the amping power. If I'm not mistaken the Omni is a little weaker. It could be a addition down the road to make controlling everything easier.

I don't recall the specs off the top of my head, but I do recall the difference was like 105 (of something) to 107 (of something), which I don't consider material.  I ended up with the Omni over the Z simply because I got it cheaper at the time.  I'm sure you'll be happy with either.

Dec 20, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #27,854 of 48,580
I haven't reviewed it yet, but I can give you a short answer: It's my fave headphone for all around use. It does everything well. Gaming, music, comfort, soundstage, bass, vocals, clarity, etc. Philips knocked it out of the ballpark. It will be my #1 recommendation for those that want a headphone that does everything at least good or better. I'm not saying it's the best at any one thing. I'm saying that the whole package makes it a must have if you need that one headphone that can handle anything.

What's the ETA on the Fidelio X2 review? As of now what number rating would you put for Competitive? The X1 received an 8. Does the X2 surpass it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back