Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 8, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #27,541 of 48,578
Headphone Surround is Never a WOW factor for HIFI Headphones! Could be WOW for crappy headphones.
Because to create the surroundeffects, they just converting/transforming the audio multichannels into Out of fased and timedelayed audio, hence the "shrieking" treble/mids/bass as coming from a distant etc.

BTW: Is your version Recon3D have SBX!

Dec 8, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #27,542 of 48,578
Headphone Surround is Never a WOW factor for HIFI Headphones! Could be WOW for crappy headphones.
Because to create the surroundeffects, they just converting/transforming the audio multichannels into Out of fased and timedelayed audio, hence the "shrieking" treble/mids/bass as coming from a distant etc.

BTW: Is your version Recon3D have SBX!

Surround is ALWAYS a wow factor, especially when used for gaming. The first time I plugged my mixamp and booted black ops 2 I thought somebody installed 5.1 speakers in my room and that was with crappy steelseries 5hv2 headset.

Dec 8, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #27,543 of 48,578
Headphone Surround is Never a WOW factor for HIFI Headphones!

Ah, THERE it is!
You're in the wrong thread.

This thread is about enjoying headphone surround with a wide range of headphones. You might be less alone on a different thread, or in a new thread if you think you have something new other people will want to talk about. Meanwhile, let's try not to derail new people who found this thread while searching for good headphones to use while gaming with virtual surround.

Dec 8, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #27,544 of 48,578
Maybe Hi-fi 'balanced' headphones are not as immersive or involving as mid/low-fi 'V-shaped' or 'bass tilted' cans, but they offer superior refinement and naturalness, which gives them a different wow factor [at least for me] - the illusion of being there. With precise, clean and realistic sound, it  may not offer the ultimate immersive experience, but it offers a different kind of experience, which is just as 'involving' in other ways... It's not like it will be a boring experience anyway :D

I think it is good to have both, but for now I only have one. IMO. YMMV. 
biggrin.gif

Good thing is that decent mid-fi headphone can still offer a very solid and involving experience, no matter [slight] signature tilts. It is not like you'll be missing vital information as those headphones can already reproduce these well. Moving up the ladder is either the last few percents or getting an insight into a different experience [more analytic, etc.]

Dec 8, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #27,545 of 48,578
I turned off the Crystalizer and saved my own profile.  Went thru the laptop to make the changes....
It sounds ok to me, but its not the wow factor I'm looking for.  Hoping the A7 might do that with everything integrated

Ah, THERE it is!
You're in the wrong thread.
This thread is about enjoying headphone surround with a wide range of headphones. You might be less alone on a different thread, or in a new thread if you think you have something new other people will want to talk about. Meanwhile, let's try not to derail new people who found this thread while searching for good headphones to use while gaming with virtual surround.

My remarks was in the context of his question, X7 wont magically give him the "wow" surround over his Recon3D. And he is using the DD optical in for movies.
Im happy with THX surround.

Dec 8, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #27,546 of 48,578
Did you ever changed the Recon3D default profile? those are horrible with many crappy overload "enhancements" activated like crystalizer, smartvolume etc.
Because you are using the DD optical input, you can customize and save 1 profile only through the PC sofware.
So you need to install Recon3D updated software/drivers/ (firmware update Recon3d) on PC.
Then you'll to disable any effect except enable only Surround with setting from 40 to 60% to you liking.
--
And at CINEMATIC tab, set DD Dynamic Range Control to Full (maximum), default was Normal=Compressed Audio heheh!

Is the bold lettering true? I have been leaving it on Normal like for a year since I bought mine.

DRC has me confused honestly......

I actually have everything disabled with surround set between 67 and 70 percent.

But I guess I will try setting DRC to FULL ( MAXIMUM) and see if I notice a difference.

Dec 8, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #27,547 of 48,578
  Is the bold lettering true? I have been leaving it on Normal like for a year since I bought mine.

I actually have everything disabled with surround set between 67 and 70 percent.

But I guess I will try setting DRC to FULL ( MAXIMUM) and see if I notice a difference.

Yup, same. Will test too.

Dec 8, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #27,548 of 48,578

Yes, its a volume normalizer for DD like the smart volume.
It'll fluctuate the dynamic volumelevel, makes softest sound louder and loudest sound softer as all will have almost the same volume.
Max= off

Dec 8, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #27,550 of 48,578
That sounds counter intuitive.  I would have thought that maximum would cause the most compression not the least compression!

Dec 8, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #27,552 of 48,578
He is saying to set Dynamic Range Control to maximum.  It compresses the bottom end (low frequency) sound and variations in volume. That makes it so when you watch it at night there isn't as much bass and so there isn't as much of a change between very quiet scenes and loud ones. It's like night mode on many receivers.  In most cases though you want it turned off to get the "Full" dynamic range of the movie.   Putting it to maximum would be the most compression not the least.

I may be completely wrong.  Going to try it out tonight

Dec 8, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #27,553 of 48,578
  He is saying to set Dynamic Range Control to maximum.  It compresses the bottom end (low frequency) sound and variations in volume. That makes it so when you watch it at night there isn't as much bass and so there isn't as much of a change between very quiet scenes and loud ones. It's like night mode on many receivers.  In most cases though you want it turned off to get the "Full" dynamic range of the movie.   Putting it to maximum would be the most compression not the least.

I may be completely wrong.  Going to try it out tonight

No you're not setting the Control to maximum, you're setting the RANGE to maximum (which means control is turned off to give you the most range).

Dec 8, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #27,554 of 48,578
Yep, that's how he/she put themself out there. When SBX First came out, many people speculated that they might be the same, but some people on that thread tested it out and quantified it, so basically old news which is being challenged. Meh.
Lol I wish I could post a sound bite simply on this website, I'd just record a short "meh" as my response. A hint of Kermit the Frog to the pronunciation, lol
smily_headphones1.gif

Indeed. I jumped on the SBZ the moment it was announced, just to do a comparison list of headphones between CMSS-3D, DH, THX and SBX. Every one of them sounded different, on the same headphone, on the same game, on the same standard 5.1 settings, and on the same volume (adjusted with a volume meter).

So I still don't know how people can come around and say SBX = THX, or any other virtual surround tech sounds the same with one another. No matter if people hear things differently, there's a difference regardless. It's like listening to trumpets vs pianos.

^yes, as I've observed with regular use that a year and a half makes a noticable alteration to the sound signature... Might be a good one though, like my more bassy 2.5 year-old Q701's were.

I have my Snowball Ice (the Cardioid only mic) on my desk and I sit back in my chair, people hear me well. I've also had it on a coffee table while I sat 2.5 feet back and people heard me pretty well, and embarrassingly I had a pretty long fart one night and they picked THAT up pretty well... XD

The Blue Yeti was a ligtning deal on Amazon just a few hours ago, was snagged up so quickly that I missed it. Darn!

Actually also based on the answers from Creative Reps said its just rebranding and the fact Creative never stated that SBX is different or better than THX, wouldnt that make be better marketing fuse if they said that SBX is way better than THX?
And the Remarketing of the "new" SB Axx1 soundchip is exactly the same Core3D have the same chip partnr. CA0132 pcie and CA0136 usb, just because of SBX change.
Show me any (official) statements/reviews that state SBX is different and better than THX!
http://www.techpowerup.com/185395/creative-revises-sound-blaster-recon3d-with-sbx-pro-studio.html
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/creative-sound-blaster-recon3d-now-with-sbx-pro-studio.html
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1799986

You talk to reps for confirmation? These same reps would tell you that the drivers for the SBZ/Zx and ZxR has been improved tremendously since its incarnation a couple of years ago. Are you going to believe that too? Because quite frankly, the only damn thing that has changed since the day 1 driver and the most receont driver is the date change.

No, Creative has never actually gone on record to say SBX is different or better than THX. Wanna know why? Because on the release of the SBZ/Zx/ZxR, Creative was still in licensing deal with THX, at that very time when the SB Z series of products were launched,. The licensing deal expired last year, not before.

Bet you're going to ask why then haven't they boasted SBX > THX since the deal was expired, like for the X7 perhaps? Well, do you see Dolby going up to Creative and giving them the big finger when CMSS3D was first made available to the public? You know, cause DH has been around longer than that. Are you seeing DTS going around giving sign languages to everyone in the industry because they belive DTS Headphone X is the best virtual surround tech ever made? No.

Heck, as bad as Razer is with their "treat the gamers like idiots" mentality, even they didn't go on record to say Razer Surround > all.

Here's the thing, you have not heard SBX and THX in person. You're basing your conclusions from reps who knows nothing, comments and "reviews" from Amazon or some product sites. Everything you've said is based off assumptions.

Dec 8, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #27,555 of 48,578
No you're not setting the Control to maximum, you're setting the RANGE to maximum (which means control is turned off to give you the most range).

Hmm, I've been going on nornal for quite sone time... Tgough, when a gane allowed ne to tweak it, I always went to max there..
Either way, I will test this max too and see what it does .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back