Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 9, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #22,771 of 48,583
Hey guys quick question, my X1's will be arriving tomorrow and I cannot wait! I bought them along with the boom pro mic and an astro mixamp. Will I need to purchase any additional cables or splitters to get everything up and running before they arrive or will all necessary cables be included with the mixamp to get me rolling? Thanks on advance. Really looking forward to these.

The included cables should be good and you'll be all set to game like a god! I have my mixamp cables (both the USB and optical) running almost all the way across the room from where I have my PS4. Not sure exactly how long that is and I'm too lazy to measure 
tongue.gif
. The cables should be long enough for your needs. The mixamp comes with a splitter for mic and headphone outputs but since you're using the X1 and the Boom Pro you should be great. Hopefully you enjoy the mixamp as well as the X1 and Boom Pro! I can vouch for the mixamp but I have yet to order the other two. Let me know how you like the combo! If you love it, I'll definitely have to order them!

Apr 9, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #22,774 of 48,583
X1 and BoomPro in Head-Fi's for sale forum...

Go get it!!! 
tongue.gif

I wish I could purchase some used for a good price. I'm in Canada so that causes some issues with shipping and I don't quite want to spend $200+ on the off chance that it could get damaged or simply not work. Sadly, I have to wait for something more local to come up in which I can try them out or I can order them off amazon and have the ability to return them if I get a doa or defective one.

Apr 9, 2014 at 11:13 PM Post #22,775 of 48,583
  I wish I could purchase some used for a good price. I'm in Canada so that causes some issues with shipping and I don't quite want to spend $200+ on the off chance that it could get damaged or simply not work. Sadly, I have to wait for something more local to come up in which I can try them out or I can order them off amazon and have the ability to return them if I get a doa or defective one.

That's what PayPal's buyer's insurance is for!

Apr 10, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #22,777 of 48,583
Been lurking for a little bit and I wanted to thank everyone for all the helpful advice. Have the K712 and O2 amp/DAC coming in either Friday or Monday. Question though, any other virtual surround sound devices besides the ones mentioned in the list worth checking out? I'm feeling like being a guinea pig.

Apr 10, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #22,778 of 48,583
After having a little time of contemplation, I decided to hold off on my PC 360 plan. I think I may well go the same route as MightySam06. It seems to be a great combo.

I have an aside question though. I've been trying to get my head around impedance matching and struggling to understand all the factors involved and how they relate to each other, but my research keeps throwing up the 1/8 rule.

I've been using the SB Omni with my K240 MKIIs. Being I am not experienced with audio that even approaches high end, I don't really know what I'm to expect in terms of quality. The Omni has a 600-Ohm impedance and the K240 MKII's have a 55-Ohms max impedance. Does this mean I am getting sub-par performance from this combo?

Apr 10, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #22,779 of 48,583
Not the same thing. The Omni states 600ohm, that probably just means it can handle headphones that high in impedance (i hate that rating because technically, anything amp can hadnle any headphone, including a cellphone's headphone jack being able to power 600ohms loudly, depending on headphone and sensitivity). The output impedance is typically nowhere near that high, instead being around 2-10ohms for most amps I've seen, with some varying levels, and some reaching below 1ohm. The 1/8th rule is basically that you want the output impedance of an amp to be around 1/8th of a headphones impedance. I'm not going to go through the science of all that, as google can better serve your needs. I'm gonna make an assumption that the output impedance of the Omni is probably 10ohms, so you'll want to pair it with headphones that are 80ohms or higher, though this is NOT a law. Not all headphones suffer from impedance mismatching. I've used the Denon D7000 (25ohm) with the Fiio E9 (10ohm), and it sounded just fine, despite the E9 being more ideal for 80ohms or higher.

Apr 10, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #22,780 of 48,583
Not the same thing. The Omni states 600ohm, that probably just means it can handle headphones that high in impedance (i hate that rating because technically, anything amp can hadnle any headphone, including a cellphone's headphone jack being able to power 600ohms loudly, depending on headphone and sensitivity). The output impedance is typically nowhere near that high, instead being around 2-10ohms for most amps I've seen, with some varying levels, and some reaching below 1ohm. The 1/8th rule is basically that you want the output impedance of an amp to be around 1/8th of a headphones impedance. I'm not going to go through the science of all that, as google can better serve your needs. I'm gonna make an assumption that the output impedance of the Omni is probably 10ohms, so you'll want to pair it with headphones that are 80ohms or higher, though this is NOT a law. Not all headphones suffer from impedance mismatching. I've used the Denon D7000 (25ohm) with the Fiio E9 (10ohm), and it sounded just fine, despite the E9 being more ideal for 80ohms or higher.

Thanks. I'll have a look and see if I can find more detailed specs on the Omni. I find this subject quite confusing, and like I said, not having heard the K240's under ideal circumstances means I don't know what they should sound like at their best.

Apr 10, 2014 at 2:16 AM Post #22,781 of 48,583
  Yep, switched it to speakers and it is definitely better.
Still probably one of the less accurate games in terms of cues but it is now a proper 3D plane rather than [you guessed it] stereo.
Thanks though! I'll keep that in mind.
I thought the headphone settings took DH in mind.

One more thing, GTA5 is quite poorly done in its audio department. It just seems that there's a lack of dynamics in the game's audio mix.

Really, not a good game to judge for virtual surround. Seems to be an issue with most open-world games though, inFamous Second Son is the latest victim.

Apr 10, 2014 at 2:18 AM Post #22,782 of 48,583
Well thanks for the nice replays all...
I did read the rest of the thread (not each and every single word I admit) but since I'm new in the audiophile scene I not familiar with all the Dolby Headphone\amps things so I'm still trying to connect the dots.
Have a great weekend all

Apr 10, 2014 at 2:28 AM Post #22,783 of 48,583
  Well thanks for the nice replays all...
I did read the rest of the thread (not each and every single word I admit) but since I'm new in the audiophile scene I not familiar with all the Dolby Headphone\amps things so I'm still trying to connect the dots.
Have a great weekend all

A couple of posts below your original, MLE did reply to you.

Apr 10, 2014 at 2:49 AM Post #22,784 of 48,583
One more thing, GTA5 is quite poorly done in its audio department. It just seems that there's a lack of dynamics in the game's audio mix.

Really, not a good game to judge for virtual surround. Seems to be an issue with most open-world games though, inFamous Second Son is the latest victim.

Fallout 3/NV does not have that issue. Both sounder amazing.
I blame Rockstar rather than open world games.
I observe the same lack of dynamics as you said.
Dont worry though my experience is profound :wink:

Apr 10, 2014 at 3:00 AM Post #22,785 of 48,583
Read the PDF, visited the website and Googled but cannot find info on the output impedance of the jack for the Omni. Guess I'd have to email them... but I don't want to... again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back