Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 24, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #19,337 of 48,580
to Chicolom, Mad Lust Envy and PurpleAngel so my cart is almost ready thanks to you guys!, I'm sure i want Dolby Headphone so im not sure if i should go for D1 or DX or DGX (5.1) or only IF this U3 is comparable in soundwise to the cards, i'd definitely pick the XONAR U3 because it's cheap and portable but ONLY if i'd get what im looking for, so.

AKG Q701 - Magni -  FiiO D3 - Xonar (D1/DX/DGX/U3) to PC :D = ~370$

Will i need some sort of cable to plug any of those properly? to use on my phone?

Mad Lust Envy I want to experience this 

I then hooked them up to the Mixamp, and fired up Call of Duty 4... let's just say... my mind was BLOWN. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I was hearing EVERYTHING. Sounds were coming from all around me. I could hear exactly where people were around me. A pin drop was easily distinguishable for me. I did notice the distinct lack of bass, but for this game, I couldn't care less. I felt like I had an unfair advantage against those who DIDN'T wear a headset. Bass was the last thing on my mind. My speakers sounded like pure crap next to this ridiculous soundfield I was suddenly enveloped in. Dolby Headphone and Headphones in general showed me what a miraculous combo they could be, and I told myself I would never seriously game without either of them ever again. I had converted. This was just but the first step into this disease called upgraditis.

With that set up, if i should change something just tell me. 

Thanks in advance guys! I've learned a lot, cant wait to have my headphones, so which card?

Dec 24, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #19,338 of 48,580
Unless you plan on using the U3 for other laptops or desktops, the DG is the internal soundcard equivalent, FWIH.

That setup seems legit.

PC - Xonar (Xonar software SPDIF setting set to PCM - Dolby Headphone, configuration of speakers set to 7.1) - optical out - cable - dac - amp (Magni in your case) - Q701

You'd do some service to yourself by actually have an SPDIF capable DAC like the (Fiio D03) and not attaching the amp directly to the Xonar to not double amp. Up to you. Though if you're using a soundcard as your main dac, you'll probably attach the amp to the RCA out on the soundcard. You can't get DH this way, but it's the ideal way for MUSIC purposes, meaning you'll have to swap out. This won't be an issue if you have something like the Fiio D03. That way when you're not gaming, you can just uncheck Dolby Headphone on the Xonar panel.

The Xonar panel should have:

Sample rate 48khz
Analog out: Headphone. the little hammer icon next to this, click on it and change it to Exciter Mode.
Spdif out: Checked box with PCM displayed
Dolby headphone checked. When you click DH, make sure it's in DH-2, as that's the best setting for it. Uncheck Dolby headphone when listening to music or other stereo signals.

Dec 24, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #19,339 of 48,580
Unless you plan on using the U3 for other laptops or desktops, the DG is the internal soundcard equivalent, FWIH.

That setup seems legit.

PC - Xonar (Xonar software SPDIF setting set to PCM - Dolby Headphone, configuration of speakers set to 7.1) - optical out - cable - dac - amp (Magni in your case) - Q701

You'd do some service to yourself by actually have an SPDIF capable DAC like the (Fiio D03) and not attaching the amp directly to the Xonar to not double amp. Up to you. Though if you're using a soundcard as your main dac, you'll probably attach the amp to the RCA out on the soundcard. You can't get DH this way, but it's the ideal way for MUSIC purposes, meaning you'll have to swap out. This won't be an issue if you have something like the Fiio D03. That way when you're not gaming, you can just uncheck Dolby Headphone on the Xonar panel.

The Xonar panel should have:

Sample rate 48khz
Analog out: Headphone. the little hammer icon next to this, click on it and change it to Exciter Mode.
Spdif out: Checked box with PCM displayed
Dolby headphone checked. When you click DH, make sure it's in DH-2, as that's the best setting for it. Uncheck Dolby headphone when listening to music or other stereo signals.

Yea im plugging the Magni to the FiiO D03 and the fiio to the Xonar U3

About the U3 would i get any better if i buy a DX or D1? or there's no need?

Dec 24, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #19,340 of 48,580
No need, since you're ONLY taking the Dolby Headphone processing from it digitally. The actual sound is coming from the DAC (Fiio) and amp (Magni).

Dec 24, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #19,342 of 48,580
With the proper game, it should. Have you done the Dolby headphone test on the first page? Can you clearly hear the surround positioning on it? Some people may not.

Dec 24, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #19,344 of 48,580
Good. That isn't even near the best demo for it, so expect improvements with some games.

Dec 24, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #19,345 of 48,580
It works for EVERY Blu-ray, as both DTS and Dolby Hd get converted ti Dolby Headphone. All signals will work once you set the PS3/4 to Bitstream Mix. Keep in mind that certain previews and trailers, etc aren't even encoded in either, and are basic PCM/Stereo at least until the movie actually starts.

after playing around with the settings more i was able to get it to work. had to do with the output device settings.

Dec 24, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #19,346 of 48,580
Yeah, it's a little harder to find on the PS4, but it's there.

Dec 24, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #19,347 of 48,580
If you want less cable clutter, get either a headset, or a headphone with a removable 3.5mm cable (like the Fidelio X1, though that's expensive).

Honestly, I don't know what you want. If cable clutter isn't a problem, just get a 558 + some external mic + Mixamp. You can always buy a used Mixamp. Hell, I'll even sell you my 2011 Mixamp for $80 total. Assuming you live in the states.

I have the 5.8 so i don't need the Mixamp pro anymore.

Alright, I think I'm just gonna buy the 588 and the Turtle beach DSS off of Ebay. And hopefully the version of the modmic with a mute will be available to purchase soon. As for my PC just getting a new sound card would be my best bet right? No need for anything else?

Dec 24, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #19,348 of 48,580
You're golden. For cheap, the Xonar U3 or DG will fit the bill for PC use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back