Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 27, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #13,861 of 48,562
Quote:
I demoed the K550 a few times and thought they sounded like crap. If I review them, its gonna come from a loaner, and I don't expect to like it all that much.

Well that's bad then, but for me i prefer these alot over alot of other headphones for gaming and music and movies.

It is more easier to find positioning ques due to how they sound and some people and myself includeing think that it has a 3d soundstage.

I find the airy soundstage of the q701 distracting, i like razor sharp sounds to stick out for positioning ques and the only can i know that does that is the k550.

May 27, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #13,862 of 48,562
Last week, I listened to Audio technica ad 900x and 1000x, and absolutely loving the 1000x. The 900x sounds very good, but not enough bass qty. 1000x got enough bass for my taste and the sound is very fluid and clean, but the soundstage is a little bit smaller than 900x.
I dont have any problem with the 3d wings system. Both models sit on my head perfectly, and no driver touching my ears. Although a bit clampy, but overall more comfortable than my HE400 due to weight issue.
Is it worth it to change my HE400 to AD1000x? The pricing is the same, but I love the comfort and sound for the AT. Not that I complain with HE400, it satisfy me enough, but I can't wear it for long period because of the weight.
I cant find any review for the 1000x here, anybody got opinion? For gaming and music listening, is the 1000x worth it?

May 27, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #13,863 of 48,562
i'm looking into buying headphones for gaming. i was initially looking at samson sr850 / superlux 668b but recently learned of the somic efi-82 mt. i have a budget of under $100. any other recommendations of headphones with good positioning?

May 28, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #13,864 of 48,562
Quote:
Last week, I listened to Audio technica ad 900x and 1000x, and absolutely loving the 1000x. The 900x sounds very good, but not enough bass qty. 1000x got enough bass for my taste and the sound is very fluid and clean, but the soundstage is a little bit smaller than 900x.
I dont have any problem with the 3d wings system. Both models sit on my head perfectly, and no driver touching my ears. Although a bit clampy, but overall more comfortable than my HE400 due to weight issue.
Is it worth it to change my HE400 to AD1000x? The pricing is the same, but I love the comfort and sound for the AT. Not that I complain with HE400, it satisfy me enough, but I can't wear it for long period because of the weight.
I cant find any review for the 1000x here, anybody got opinion? For gaming and music listening, is the 1000x worth it?

I've not heard the AD1000x, but trust your ears here - if you enjoy the sound and comfort of them more, then I say go for it!  If you currently have both to compare, then give the AD1000x a go for a week straight (to let your ears fully adjust to their signature), then go back to the HE-400 and see what the differences are.

May 28, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #13,865 of 48,562
Quote:

The FiiO (E07K?) won't have any surround sound, but apart from that it is nice DAC/amp.

To summarize:
Asus U3, U7, Essence STU would be for surround sound on laptops.  The U7 and Essence STU will have decent amp/dacs.
FiiO E07K would be for an stereo DAC/amp for PC.
DSS/Mixamp would be for a surround sound on consoles.

This is very helpful, thanks!

I just need some points clarified.  

So, my best set up for gaming & movies is:

• My AKG 65th headphones on my head connects via RCA to the FiiO amp.
  • FiiO amp connects to the USB sound card via ???
  • Creative Soundblaster XFi Surround Pro 5.1 or Recon3D or ??? (I don't have room for a integrated sound card thanks to crossfired cards... not sure what to get here) connects to the PC via USB cable.  

So, my two road-bumps are my soundcard (I only have an integrated motherboard one) and what connects the amp to the USB soundcard.  

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  

May 28, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #13,866 of 48,562
I just got the original DSS 7.1, however it seems to me that the right channel seems louder than the left and it feels like its slightly off center.  I know it's not my headphones since they work flawlessly with my fiio amp.  Anyone have this problem or maybe it needs burn in?

May 28, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #13,868 of 48,562
It's been two hours since I shipped out my Q701 and I'm already having withdrawals. Friday can't get here fast enough... I really want my Annies...
frown.gif

May 28, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #13,869 of 48,562
Anyone with Annies notice any creaking or plastic on plastic rubbing coming from the hinges? I have been working then around between uses and the noises seem to be slightly diminishing, but it is still annoying.

Other than that, they certainly deserve the billing they've received on this thread. The Dolby headphone performance is amazing.

May 28, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #13,870 of 48,562
Quote:
It's been two hours since I shipped out my Q701 and I'm already having withdrawals. Friday can't get here fast enough... I really want my Annies...
frown.gif

Try going a month without them! 
tongue_smile.gif

May 28, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #13,871 of 48,562
Quote:

This is very helpful, thanks!

I just need some points clarified.  

So, my best set up for gaming & movies is:

• My AKG 65th headphones on my head connects via RCA to the FiiO amp.
  • FiiO amp connects to the USB sound card via ???
  • Creative Soundblaster XFi Surround Pro 5.1 or Recon3D or ??? (I don't have room for a integrated sound card thanks to crossfired cards... not sure what to get here) connects to the PC via USB cable.  

So, my two road-bumps are my soundcard (I only have an integrated motherboard one) and what connects the amp to the USB soundcard.  

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  

Which FiiO amp are you talking about?  I assume the E09K since you mention RCAs.  The E09K would connect to the soundcards via a 3.5mm cable to dual RCA.

Another option is the Asus Essence STU.  This will have both a powerful amp (similar to the E09K) and a good soundcard/DAC (with Dolby Headphone...I think) in one simple external box that connects via USB.  You can also look at the Asus Xonar U7.  Both the STU and U7 have true RCA line outs making it easy to connect external amps.  Some of the smaller devices (Recon3D, Xonar U3) you will need to double-amp from their HP jacks.  It looks like the Creative Soundblaster XFi has RCA out as well, making it easier to amp it.

The only thing I'm not clear on is what dolby technology is inside the devices.  The Xonar U7 says "Dolby® Home Theater v4" and I'm not enough of an expert on PC audio to know if that means it has true Dolby Headphone inside.  Does anybody else know what that means?  Not sure 100% sure what's in the STU either...somebody find out!

I don't know much about the Creative Soundblaster XFi Surround Pro 5.1 or Recon3D though, so I can't advise on them :\  The Soundblaster XFi looks beefier though.  I personally prefer Dolby Headphone to Creative's surround though (sounds too dry and stereo-like IMO)

May 28, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #13,873 of 48,562
Quote:
To any head-fi gamers in the lower 48 ...I have a new unopened pair of Philips X1's for $315 shipped. I'm trying to tempt you MLE. Hopefully someone here picks them up to see how awesome they are with DH. 

Hnnnngggg!!

That's tempting...I really want to hear them.

May 28, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #13,874 of 48,562
Quote:
I've not heard the AD1000x, but trust your ears here - if you enjoy the sound and comfort of them more, then I say go for it!  If you currently have both to compare, then give the AD1000x a go for a week straight (to let your ears fully adjust to their signature), then go back to the HE-400 and see what the differences are.

I want to give it 1 more test again before deciding. 400usd is expensive for me... and my He400 is not even a year old yet. Wishing that there are more reviews for the AD1000X, to hear others opinion for it.
Was tempted with Anni too, however the USD 600+ price tag are beyond my budge. Not to mention the new amp/dac to pair with it assuming my FIIO E17 can't drive it properly.

May 28, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #13,875 of 48,562
From what I remember, Dolby Home Theater V4 isn't Dolby Headphone nor does it compare. Just what I remember from the last time someone wrote about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back