Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 25, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #13,802 of 48,562
Hey guys, in comparison between the Beyerdynamics DT 770/880/990 Pros and Sennheiser's HD558/598/600/650, which of them actually have higher clamping pressure?

I know that all Sennheiser headphones comes with their-now signature clamp pressure, but what about Beyers? Their Premium series don't clamp too much, but is it true that their Pro series really do put way too much pressure for many people?
:grin:

Hey,

The initial clamp on the HD650's was pretty tight but within an hour or two it loosened up quickly and has easily become tied with the DT990/250 Pro as the most comfortable headphones I've ever owned. Out if your list tho I'd say the DT770's have the tightest clamp. Not to say they are uncomfortable by any means but from that list they are the tightest and the only closed can of your group so honestly this should be expected :wink:

Thanks,

D

May 25, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #13,803 of 48,562
Quote:

M-Stage powerful enough?

I'm guessing you're suggesting to just stick with what I have and hope for the best? I mean I do love my babies...

the m-stage doesnt even do 1 watt of power, so i doubt it has the power. speaker amp would be better for it.

May 25, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #13,804 of 48,562
the m-stage doesnt even do 1 watt of power, so i doubt it has the power. speaker amp would be better for it.

This. Like I said, don't bother with the HE-4 unless you have at LEAST the Lyr. Even then, it wants more. You have to look at the HE-4 like the HE-6. They are not for most domestic amps.

Even then EF-5 (which Hifiman sold with as a combo) doesn't do it justice. It's just not a headphone people should look into without proper knowledge.

It gets loud, but it is really starved for power unlike anything I've heard.

May 25, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #13,806 of 48,562
Hi guys,  

I hope you don't mind a noob here.  I mostly game and watch movies on the computer, more so now than last year so I decided to get myself a treat and got a MMX 300 [size=small]Beyerdynamic. I hooked it in right to my PC (no special soundcard to speak of, just the one included in a higher-end gaming rig motherboard).  I enjoyed it once I figured out how to keep it from crushing my head. All went well up until Christmas when we discovered our house got burglarized and one of the things missing was the headset.  [/size]

[size=small]Without insurance, I had no choice but to replace it with my bonus check.  My new pair died on me about 3 weeks ago.  Left speaker just has no sound at all.  I can still use it, but any directional sound effects are lost on me. I figured I'm cursed and decided to drop the brand.  After a bit of hunting I found you guys.[/size]

[size=small]I'm thinking about the [/size][size=small]AKG K702 (Annies) but am sorta lost on what to do next.  The mic isn't an issue, that I frigured out on my own.  But the amp & soundcard sorta confuse me.  [/size]

[size=small]What sort of setup should I use?  Any appropriate[/size][size=small] amp/cards needed to maximized sound?  [/size]

[size=small]Thanks![/size]

May 25, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #13,807 of 48,562
Well, I ended up canceling the replacement order of my Q701 before I went to sleep. I did not want one out of the same batch that Amazon had in stock. They are issuing a refund and I will be purchasing the Annies, instead. This was possibly a blessing in disguise because it happened before I decided to send it in for a headband exchange. I would have been screwed...
triportsad.gif

Anyways, all is well thanks to Amazon. I'm glad I called them, first. They really saved me from going through the whole prolonged warranty process with AKG. I know there are often better deals elsewhere... but this is why I mostly shop with Amazon. I am a Prime member though so that may be why they "have your back," as I was told by the rep this morning.

Edit: I will be selling the brand new pair of pads that come with the Annies because I already have a pair that I had on my Q701... as some of you already know. Anyone interested in purchasing the new memory pads for their K701/K702/Q701 feel free to PM me.

May 25, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #13,809 of 48,562
Quote:
I didn't even think of padding options.  But I guess I'll tackle that once I have them on my head to judge.  My Logitech G930s were very uncomfortable... 

If you end up purchasing the Q701 and adding the pads you will save a good amount of cash. The only difference between the Annie and the Q701 would then be the headband. Some people have issues with the bumps and others don't. Just read MLE's review of the Q701. It explains everything.

May 25, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #13,810 of 48,562
Quote:
Well, I ended up canceling the replacement order of my Q701 before I went to sleep. I did not want one out of the same batch that Amazon had in stock. They are issuing a refund and I will be purchasing the Annies, instead. This was possibly a blessing in disguise because it happened before I decided to send it in for a headband exchange. I would have been screwed...
triportsad.gif

Anyways, all is well thanks to Amazon. I'm glad I called them, first. They really saved me from going through the whole prolonged warranty process with AKG. I know there are often better deals elsewhere... but this is why I mostly shop with Amazon. I am a Prime member though so that may be why they "have your back," as I was told by the rep this morning.

Edit: I will be selling the brand new pair of pads that come with the Annies because I already have a pair that I had on my Q701... as some of you already know. Anyone interested in purchasing the new memory pads for their K701/K702/Q701 feel free to PM me.

I guess it's good that you heard rattling before you had a new headband snapped into it and not after
eek.gif

I didn't know Amazon would refund/replace things 4 months out after you buy them!  Are super-extended return windows a prime membership exclusive perk?

May 25, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #13,811 of 48,562
Quote:

I guess it's good that you heard rattling before you had a new headband snapped into it and not after
eek.gif

I didn't know Amazon would refund/replace things 4 months out after you buy them!  Are super-extended return windows a prime membership exclusive perk?

Dude, I have no idea. I just know that this is the second time this has been done for me. They did say, however, "as a one time exception" both times
tongue.gif
 !!! I do think they treat all their customers the same, though.

Even so, I'm just grateful it worked out. Are you going to welcome me to the Annie club???
biggrin.gif

May 25, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #13,812 of 48,562
The HE-400 and HE-4 have entirely different amping requirements.

The single digit Hifimans are extremely hard to drive (HE-4, HE-5, HE-5LE, HE-6), while the triple digit ones, are sensitive enough to be used by typical amps (HE-300, HE-400, HE-500).

May 25, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #13,813 of 48,562
Quote:

Even so, I'm just grateful it worked out. Are you going to welcome me to the Annie club???
biggrin.gif

I see you continue to follow in my gear-footsteps
tongue_smile.gif

Don't forget:  Next step is to buy Q701 pads!

May 25, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #13,814 of 48,562
So, in the end, I'm gonna send the MD back, as I don't wanna hold on to them without knowinf the my Kingsound cans are coming in.

I'll keep the Plyr. The base is pretty small and thin, so I can basically take it with me , lol. A dolby headphone wireless can on the go. Woot. :D

May 26, 2013 at 1:54 AM Post #13,815 of 48,562
Quote:
So, in the end, I'm gonna send the MD back, as I don't wanna hold on to them without knowinf the my Kingsound cans are coming in.

I'll keep the Plyr. The base is pretty small and thin, so I can basically take it with me , lol. A dolby headphone wireless can on the go. Woot.
biggrin.gif

That's wassup. I'm still surprised you haven't purchased the X1. Do you really think the headband sizing is going to be that bad of an issue for you? I hope not because I am anticipating a review of yours in due time.

I was real close, after my unfortunate situation last night, but went with the Annie because it was a sound I was familiar and in love with. After I fall in love it's hard for me to move on....
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back