Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 22, 2013 at 8:12 AM Post #13,698 of 48,562
Playing Metro LL on PC with my HA-S500. Granted that I'm not using DH, they're still sooo good! I actually prefer wearing them instead of the DT990...it's crazy, I know.

For those with the ksc75, the JVC HA-S500/400 is definitely a step up.

May 22, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #13,699 of 48,562
Quote:
Woot!
Have you heard Wilco "Whole Love" or "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" albums? So good
smily_headphones1.gif

I have not, but I will certainly look into them. Thanks.

May 22, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #13,700 of 48,562
Hey
ksc75smile.gif

First... i never EVER! have experience with good headphones, just enter this new world when i sat to play on my pc and thought..."i need a upgrade"

That what i did... new Rig and whatvercrap headset when i realize sound is better (rly i never give a fck to audio) music, movie, video and games...again thought"i need to buy a boat headset" first time they showed me a40 the dream headset will be if isn't the price in my country...
I don't give up search a little more and see.. is all overprice so *** that...

In a random day in a random forum a valkiria come to me and say 
"GAMER Headset is overpriced just find a good headphone they are cheaper and have better quality" take her hand and she guide me to Head-fi.org...Aleluia
Problem is infomation on internet is like drink from a hydrant..
I don't much yet but i get this kit:
X-fi titaniun HD>amp?(fiio eo9k maybe)> DT990 Pro is a good start no hehe?
sunday i see the hd 598 im my hand and hell... they are so good and sexy i still not have the chance to use the dt990 they are so different?
looks like 598 is more durable its true?
Mad says you lose in the immersion and internet don't help...

i see posts of people destroying their dt990's saying:

"worst buy..."
"is to dark (What dark?)"
"best start is the hd598" 
...and blablablabla 

same for hd 598...

"dt990 is better cheaper is just eq adjust and is the same"
"with a good amp dt990 is the best hd598 don't"

in my country good amp and headphones is hard to find and have astronomic prices... and exportation no way some people overprice the products to export and the charge is 60% just to pass more the shipment and need to double because of the coin (R$2.05 =1.00U$) and i have some bad experiences with exportations like ******** charge me just to take what i buy and appeal to justice is rly a pain in the ass 
i can buy one of this two with a good price. dt990 is little cheaper

i find a used lcd2 for sale worth the price? 

some one have some experience with this two on PC?

sry if a miss some words and bad inglish

May 22, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #13,701 of 48,562
I have not, but I will certainly look into them. Thanks.

Absolutely some of my favourite music, if you like the pacing and ability of Arcade Fire to have a theme in their album... Well, "Funeral" blew me away, and so did the two Wilco albums I mentioned. I have a hard time picking an all time-favourite album between the feelings (and memories) I get while listening to "Funeral," "Whole Love," and an old fav from Van Morrison "No Guru, No Method, No Teacher," the latter I used to hear all the time at my day's downtown bachelor apartment, and I sorta read as poetry at my father's wedding with my Step-Mother, so... I'm serious, those are some amazing albums.

Then I've never listened to a song, and frankly, I wouldn't want to. When I listen to music, I hear every note as I would see it on sheet music, I hear all the EQs the producer used, I hear the entire process, all of the sweat and blood that went into the song. Its so exciting to me. I'm getting some more "musical" headphones soon, so I'll see if I wasted my money there.

Look, I love digging out every nuance from music too, but I'm starting to wonder if you're just determined to be special, act anathemic about what we're saying, even if "musical" is not defined by fuzzing over details.

Look, I don't think of analytical as "having more detail," for example I have never heard any speaker outdo the Q701 purely in detail, BUT musical offers more... Think of analytical as being a word to describe hearing the notes & EQ, but not hearing the dynamic of how hard the guitar strings were hit, not hearing the difference in the atmosphere of big theater vs a small sound-proofed studio, all the notes there but sounding thin without substance or weight. Like... A 92kbps MP3 may be quite detailed and have all the notes, but if you listen to the same song played off a CD at full Redbook AIFF quality, you'll realize there's more fullness and interaction and... music, rather than just a facsimile containing the same "notes." Some use "analytical" purely to refer to an inability to play lower bass notes as you would hear from a live instrument, but it can also refer to a general feeling of compression and damping across the whole spectrum.

So you see, noBody is saying detail is bad... But headphones that are analytical lose a lot of what's going on in the music, just to concentrate on mids and treble (in many cases also lacking in upper treble extension. Compression of what you're paying attention to, a kind of focus that is as limiting as being purely a basshead at the other end of the spectrum). To be diplomatic, I wouldn't say favoring analytical or being a basshead isn't BAD (ppl like what they like), but they are both limiting the experience.

May 22, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #13,702 of 48,562
I like being special
frown.gif

No, I'm sorry, I didn't mean for my post to come off that way. I'm just confused is all, about how others listen to music then me. I should really research that, might help me write better songs. Sorry if I came off as rude. :p

May 22, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #13,703 of 48,562
MadMag,
Welcome to Head-Fi, and sorry about your wallet!

What I have to say about your post... Audio will always be a source of debate. The Beyerdynamic DT990 was designed to be a class above the HD598, but I can't guess which your ears would prefer. The first step into high-fidelity audio is always trusting in a leap of faith... from which you learn about yourself and your likes & do not likes.

I heard the Sennheiser HD558 in a Best Buy a few days ago, and it was a pleasant and quality experience. It also fit my ears and head nice, but I still prefer my Q701. What I recommend/suggest/would do if I was you, buy the cheaper HD558. Why? Because it's a very good first high-quality headphone from a good company with good reputation, and get used to how that sounds. Enjoy it for a few months! The other good part about an HD558 or HD598, you won't "need" an amp between the X-Fi Titanium HD and the headphone. Then, if you feel it's lacking in some way, research a headphone that has more _____ than the HD558. For example, get the DT990 if you want more bass and treble, or the AKG Q701 if you want more note separation, or an Audio Technica if you want more soundstage, or an HD650 if you want to focus on mids. But first, you need your first good headphone, so you can learn what you're getting into and if you need anything "more."

Then, you will say "Alleluia!" about what you are hearing, rather than just drowning in too much Internet information.

May 22, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #13,704 of 48,562
I like being special :frowning2:
No, I'm sorry, I didn't mean for my post to come off that way. I'm just confused is all, about how others listen to music then me. I should really research that, might help me write better songs. Sorry if I came off as rude. :p

Well, there's different ways to be special...

But I'm not trying to tear you down. I honestly think you'll see what I mean, though you may already have an inkling from what you learned going from anybuds to the HD280 for the first time. I'm just saying, keep your mind open to the potential of things you don't know yet.

There, that sounds more positive like I wanted in the first place. Maybe even profound? Meh, never stop trying :)

May 22, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #13,706 of 48,562
How does the AD700's bass campare to the SR60i?

I had AD700 and I bought my dad some SR60, the AD700 has thinner bass, but both roll-off before the lowest notes. The SR60i is also IMO a great place to start in headphone Hi-Fi (anyone notice the Grado in the podcast about Daft Punk's new album?), but the AD700 may be a little better suited for competitive FPS and virtual surround. The Grado SR60i is an example of a more musical headphone than the more analytical AD700.

May 23, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #13,708 of 48,562
The CAL is closed and presents music quite differently from the Sennheiser 558 and 598. CaL is bassy, quite warm and musical. The Seens are much more balanced and airy, but dont have the bass of the CAL by a longshot. For gaming, the Sennheisers will be a better choice, though not in bass.

May 23, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #13,709 of 48,562
Quote:
The CAL is closed and presents music quite differently from the Sennheiser 558 and 598. CaL is bassy, quite warm and musical. The Seens are much more balanced and airy, but dont have the bass of the CAL by a longshot. For gaming, the Sennheisers will be a better choice, though not in bass.

I need them purely for Watching Movies, currently use DT 880's and they seems to be a little Bass Shy.
Any other cheaper recommendations :)

May 23, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #13,710 of 48,562
If the DT880 is bass shy, dont bother with the Senns, which have even less.

How much money can you afford to pay?

If the 880 is bass shy to you, perhaps the 990 Pro will fit your needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back