Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 5, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #13,366 of 48,568
Yea, I'm seeing some of that as we speak. I am reading that the 840s would be closer to what I'm looking for.

Also, if I do buy the 940 and dislike them I will most certainly return them and not even waste our time. Gotta love Amazon
rolleyes.gif

May 5, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #13,367 of 48,568
I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with what I end up getting since I haven't had a decent gaming headphone. I had a taste of good soundstage when I put the G cush on a pair of SR60i (the SQ was terrible though) and it sounded incredibly realistic and immersive so I have been seeking a headphone with with a good soundstage to get that experience.

May 5, 2013 at 2:55 AM Post #13,368 of 48,568
I have the PC360's atm, was thinking of moving to the Q701 or anniversary edition. Trying to get a single headphone or set that's more well-rounded, better with music, good or better cues, and more immersive.

May 5, 2013 at 3:21 AM Post #13,372 of 48,568
Quote:
I have the PC360's atm, was thinking of moving to the Q701 or anniversary edition. Trying to get a single headphone or set that's more well-rounded, better with music, good or better cues, and more immersive.

Regular Q701 is still more immersive than PC360, for sure.  Better for music too IMO.  I wouldn't expect better cues though. 

Anniversaries are an extra step in immersion over Q701 though.

May 5, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #13,373 of 48,568
thanks, will I need anything different with my setup? Right now I'm just running an Asus Xonar DXG. Also, is the fidelity just as good on the annie's compared to the 360? The biggest thing that blows me away with the Sennheiser's is how crystal clear everything sounds, even people with bad mics sound awesome through these :) I don't want to lose that.

May 5, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #13,374 of 48,568
Quote:
Has anyone here owned or tested the Shure SRH940? This is off topic but I would like some feedback from anyone in this forum with any familiarity with this can. I am in the market for a closed set of headphones (that I can use on the go) with a similar sound signature to that of my Q701 w/memory foam pads.

I love my SRH940. It's an amazing closed can with a very specific purpose. Very bright. Very detailed. Very exciting. I think there are some people would say overly bright, but I really love it. It's extremely analytical and, therefore, poorly mastered or encoded media sound terrible on them. It is going to pick up every error and artifact there is. I'm assuming you posted here because you would want to be using them gaming. If I had to use a closed can for competitive gaming, the SRH940 would be the one I'd use due to its comparatively impressive soundstage and positional accuracy. It's a delight to use, but make no mistake about it. An open can such as the Annie or AD700 are still better for competitive gaming. For non-competitive gaming, it's a definite pass because it just lacks the boom you'd want in your low frequencies.

Overall, the SRH940 a hard headphone to recommend because, again, it's a very specific can for a very specific use. You need to understand what you're getting in it because there are absolutely defined strengths and weaknesses with them. What it's meant for, it excels greatly at it. The SRH940 is a treble and detail monster and I absolutely love them for that.

May 5, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #13,375 of 48,568
Actually, my purpose for the 940 would be for portable use... not gaming. I love the sound signature of my Q701 with the Annie pads for both music and gaming... but they are obviously not portable. I posted the question here along with other forums so I can get feedback from different people who own them or have tested them.

From what I have observed so far is that these are a little on the bright side to be considered neutral/balanced. I like my highs to be clear and detailed but not extreme. For example, I used to own the AD700 and found the highs on those cans to be a little fatiguing. The Q701 highs are just perfect for me... and with the Annie pads everything is perfectly balanced for my taste. I'm going to have to pass on the 940, I guess.

What about the 840? Have you owned/tested it? Is that more on the neutral/balanced side? Like I said I am looking for a closed can with a similar sound to what I like for on the go. I know the soundstage on those might be lacking but as long as everything else is balanced I'm all in. Also, if I purchase the 940 pads for the 840 how would it affect the sound?

May 5, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #13,376 of 48,568
Hello everyone I've been debating on which new headset to get. I have it narrowed down between the Sennheiser PC 360 and the SkullCandy SLYR. I will be using them for gaming obviously and listening to music. I wouldn't call myself an "audiophile" but I do enjoy really good sound. I'm just curious if the Senn's are that much better or would i be better off saving some money.

I know most of you will say to get a pair of headphones with a clip on mic. Do either of the two headsets i mentioned have good to great sound quality, if I'm ok with paying a little extra for the built in mic?  I would prefer to have a headset and just not deal with the clip on mic but if the sound quality just isn't there i might reconsider for what I would be paying. Also I would like to go wireless but I've been reading a lot, and people say wired is the way to go. If you guys could mention something wireless, comparable or better to the two I've listed, I would also consider that.

To sum it up, I guess I'm really just interested to know if the Senn's blow the SC SLYRs out of the water or are they pretty close? Any added information or answers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

May 5, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #13,378 of 48,568
Some games are better than others, and next gen consoles are coming out, which will undoubtedly improve audio fidelity.

In any case, it's not just about refinement, but balance, soundstage, positioning, etc. A higher end can will still be much more enjoyable than a lower end can.

As for the SLYR vs PC360, if you're using them for competitive use, the PC360 is hard to beat. The SLYR is more fun oriented AND closed. I'm not a fan of the PC360 for music or fun gaming. It's a well balanced can that treads on being safe rather than exciting. The SLYR is more enjoyable to me, though they wouldn't be a headphone I use for competitive gaming.

May 5, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #13,379 of 48,568
Quote:
Actually, my purpose for the 940 would be for portable use... not gaming. I love the sound signature of my Q701 with the Annie pads for both music and gaming... but they are obviously not portable. I posted the question here along with other forums so I can get feedback from different people who own them or have tested them.

From what I have observed so far is that these are a little on the bright side to be considered neutral/balanced. I like my highs to be clear and detailed but not extreme. For example, I used to own the AD700 and found the highs on those cans to be a little fatiguing. The Q701 highs are just perfect for me... and with the Annie pads everything is perfectly balanced for my taste. I'm going to have to pass on the 940, I guess.

What about the 840? Have you owned/tested it? Is that more on the neutral/balanced side? Like I said I am looking for a closed can with a similar sound to what I like for on the go. I know the soundstage on those might be lacking but as long as everything else is balanced I'm all in. Also, if I purchase the 940 pads for the 840 how would it affect the sound?

Well the SRH940 or 840 are definitely not portable cans. I think you may be asking your question in the wrong thread as this one is focused on headphones for gaming. Check out this thread for full sized recommendations and this thread for portable recommendations.

May 6, 2013 at 6:21 AM Post #13,380 of 48,568
Good day everyone, i'm here with a piece of information, but i'm not sure if its been posted before, and i'd prefer not to scan through 89~ pages to find it. has anyone here heard the PSB M4U1 yet?

i've heard reviews of people praising it so much i'm on the verge of calling them brand biased, but PSB is not exactly a famous headphone maker and they have only expertise in speakers, and the only headphone they made before this is the M4U2 and the only thing i've heard about that is better than the M4U1's is that they have noise-cancelling.

If anyone knows anything about it and it's performance in gaming, clarity, detail, soundstage, please answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back