Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 15, 2013 at 4:15 AM Post #12,976 of 48,580
Quote:

They are "Special Editions" of the PC350 and PC360.  They look about the same except for the outer grills have been changed.  They should all share the same drivers. The PC350/350SE are closed back and the PC360/363D are open back.  The open back version usually gets superior reviews as it has a superior soundstage. 

All of them are plain stereo headsets except for the 363D which uses a USB audio interface with Dolby processing.

So with the PC363D edition, It's like the PC360? They have a few more cosmetic features?. . As far as the USB audio interface does that mean I cannot use my mixamp or soundcard?

Are there any headsets that are better or close to the PC363D

Apr 15, 2013 at 4:29 AM Post #12,977 of 48,580
Quote:
So with the PC363D edition, It's like the PC360?

Yes.  It even says so on the Sennheiser website.

They have a few more cosmetic features?

Most likely just some cosmetic changes, hence the special edition.

As far as the USB audio interface does that mean I cannot use my mixamp or soundcard?

The USB audio interface IS a soundcard.  If you already have a mixamp and/or soundcard, there's really no reason to buy the 363D and pay for ANOTHER card. 
It looks like the card is separate from the headset anyways:
http://www.cravingtech.com/sennheiser-pc-363d-gaming-headset-review.html

Are there any headsets that are better or close to the PC363D

Not really, except for the Beyerdynamic MMX 300.  Read the first post.

If you already have a mixamp/soundcard I would just get the PC360 as it is the same as the PC363D but without the soundcard and costs cheaper. 

Apr 15, 2013 at 5:43 AM Post #12,979 of 48,580
Quote:
Okay. . So i've come down to the MMX 300 or the PC360's. . Massive price difference tho?

The MMX 300 is nice but is considered overpriced since it is essentially a DT770 with a mic.

I'm not sure which wins sound-wise between the MMX 300 and PC360, but the PC360 wins value-wise.

Apr 15, 2013 at 5:51 AM Post #12,980 of 48,580
Quote:

The MMX 300 is nice but is considered overpriced since it is essentially a DT770 with a mic.

I'm not sure which wins sound-wise between the MMX 300 and PC360, but the PC360 wins value-wise.

Factory refurbished from authorized resellers for $140 or less right now. That's quite a steal for the PC360.

Apr 15, 2013 at 6:02 AM Post #12,981 of 48,580
Quote:

...Funny that my Avatar is wearing MMX 300s at the moment. 

rolleyes.gif

Apr 15, 2013 at 6:04 AM Post #12,982 of 48,580
Quote:

...Funny that my Avatar is wearing MMX 300s at the moment. 

rolleyes.gif

It just means your avatar is interesting and doesn't follow conventional thinking. The user, on the other hand... 
wink_face.gif

Apr 15, 2013 at 6:35 AM Post #12,983 of 48,580
I wish I enjoyed losing that much.

Btw guys, the Philips Fidelio X1 is in stock on Amazon!

Unless you have a big head, I'm almost 100% positive this is a headphone you will want if you want an open bassy headphone that isn't the 990.

If I could afford it right now, I'd order myself some, but my Amazon card is maxed out, and I don't wanna get something I'm almost positive I have to return for being too small for my head.

Apr 15, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #12,985 of 48,580
Thank you for the quick response. I'm new to the whole headset system, why does one use a "mixamp"... is it to crank up the volume ? or just to have something processing the stereo sound into a virtual surround sound?

I guess my question is, what's the difference between the PC360s and the A50s ?

Apr 15, 2013 at 8:44 AM Post #12,986 of 48,580
I wish I enjoyed losing that much.

Btw guys, the Philips Fidelio X1 is in stock on Amazon!

Unless you have a big head, I'm almost 100% positive this is a headphone you will want if you want an open bassy headphone that isn't the 990.

If I could afford it right now, I'd order myself some, but my Amazon card is maxed out, and I don't wanna get something I'm almost positive I have to return for being too small for my head.
Everybody's gotta have some limits, apparently credit is yours :p
Are you sure your head is too big? I haven't been following the X1 threads; I didn't know it favored smaller heads.

Can I just say that I kinda expected you to miss the Annies vs the LCD2s sooner or later? I mean, it's cool to experience the best out there, but purely for relaxing with a game or movie the LCD2 seems like it would be a pain to live with. The AKG flagships are also pretty big and want for a little special amping, but they're not THAT bulky, and using them without an amp when you're just being casual works OK (toughing out brief harsh moments, tho in my case I have an E12 so I don't ever really have to make that compromise). I would even say they're sexy enough that I wouldn't feel odd taking them to a computer lab, office, or friend's house and be seen with them (the AD700 were unique and distinctive; I liked them but I knew others would think them bizarre and inelegant). I would even use them at the library, if I didn't think they leaked just a bit much more than polite. I got back into using the AD700 last year, but I hardly used them in 2011 because they were just too big.

Do you think you'll sell/return the LCD2s, buy back an Annie (or the new k712 or whatever it's called) and put the price difference towards, I dunno, solar panels to reduce your electricity bills? How are things going with your laptop & HDMI? I bricked my computer over the weekend, trying to install another OS and overwriting my backup USB drive, but with the help of my girlfriend and her Mac laptop I think I can save it.

Apr 15, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #12,987 of 48,580
Thank you for the quick response. I'm new to the whole headset system, why does one use a "mixamp"... is it to crank up the volume ? or just to have something processing the stereo sound into a virtual surround sound?

I guess my question is, what's the difference between the PC360s and the A50s ?

If you look at my article linked in my signature, I have a summary that addresses your question fully. IMO, yes the Mixamp is just for the processing (and chat mixing), and headsets with multiple "surround drivers" like the A50 lose compared to the quality (& value) you can get with good headphones on your two ears. I also don't understand the headSET fetish versus having a headphone and separate mic... Yeah a headset has it in one piece/unit, but you need a separate plug for a mic anyway (except on a smartphone/tablet) and I find it tidy enough if I clip on the mic to the headphone cable and coil the wire around the headphone cable. Having a headset would make my setup for my Xbox even MORE complicated, as chat and game audio come out of different places anyway. A $2-$3 clip-on mic costs next to nothing compared to the premium you pay for a headset version over a regular headphone.

I forget what it was called, but there was a DT770 clone floating around that was getting attention and good reviews. KRK something?

Apr 15, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #12,988 of 48,580
On another note... I think the DSS was holding it's own when I was playing with the Q701 plugged directly into it. The built-in amp is not bad for something USB powered... I'm not ready to fully review the DSS tho.
Chico, don't freak out that I got a DSS or DH device, or that I'm slowly copying your past setups :ph34r:

Apr 15, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #12,989 of 48,580
If I sell my LCD2, id probably get the Sennheiser Momentum for portable use (getting a laptop I can actually leave my house with, ill want a good set of eash to drive headphones that perform at least a little better than my clip ons) :wink:

As for home use, it really would be quite hard to give up the LCD2. That's gonna be quite a decision. The replacement would absolutely have to be lightweight, velour padded, and comfortable. The Annie/K712 would be frontrunner, but I'm always hurting to try new things.

For now, I still don't see anything that I'd give up the LCD2 for.

I returned my laptop and I'm still waiting for the replacement to be shipped to me. They're taking forever.

The cheap Beyer wannabe was the Takstar something or other.

Tomorrow I should be getting something in the mail, just not certain which one it is.

Apr 15, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #12,990 of 48,580
Does the PC360 give good surround sound? As in immersive quality. I really enjoy the little special effects in a MMO, also FPS for the footsteps etc.

Will I notice a difference in quality from a Turtle Beach x41 headset compared to the $250-400 headsets listed. I guess I'm after the best all rounder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back