Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 25, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #11,956 of 48,566
Quote:
Ok, so how much of a difference is it between the AKG Q701 and the K701 65th anni?  More bass presence?  How about switching the ear pads?  Can someone verify they make a difference?

Quote:
I wonder how the Annies sounded with the Q pads? I would think angling the drivers (by using angled pads) yields better control over how sounds enter your ear.

I'll have both pairs tomorrow.

I'll get to the bottom of it...

cool.gif

Feb 25, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #11,959 of 48,566
Would it be dumb to connect my odac to my earforce dss usb out?  Would I hear any noticible sound/detail improvement compared to just using my dss with my amp alone?

Feb 25, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #11,960 of 48,566
Quote:
Would it be dumb to connect my odac to my earforce dss usb out?  Would I hear any noticible sound/detail improvement compared to just using my dss with my amp alone?

TDLR: Yes.  And No.

There would be no point in hooking the two together.  The DSS's USB port is a pass-through port, so if you plug the ODAC into it, the ODAC will just pass straight through whatevers behind it(which would have to be a computer, otherwise the ODAC will do nothing at all).  The DSS will just be acting sort of like a 1 port USB hub.  It would be no different than plugging the ODAC straight into a computer, except it would be more complicated and you might get some kind of interference running through the DSS.

You can send the ODAC signal to the DSS, but it would be stereo, which would defeat the purpose of using a surround sound processor (which requires a dolby digital 5.1 signal via optical to work correctly).  The DSS only uses it's USB port to draw power/usb pass through.  It only functions as a DAC when it gets a signal from toslink/optical.

I assume you are hooking the DSS up to a console over optical and using it for dolby headphone?  If your not, your using it wrong.

Feb 25, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #11,961 of 48,566

TDLR: Yes.  And No.

There would be no point in hooking the two together.  The DSS's USB port is a pass-through port, so if you plug the ODAC into it, the ODAC will just pass straight through whatevers behind it(which would have to be a computer, otherwise the ODAC will do nothing at all).  The DSS will just be acting sort of like a 1 port USB hub.  It would be no different than plugging the ODAC straight into a computer, except it would be more complicated and you might get some kind of interference running through the DSS.

You can send the ODAC signal to the DSS, but it would be stereo, which would defeat the purpose of using a surround sound processor (which requires a dolby digital 5.1 signal via optical to work correctly).  The DSS only uses it's USB port to draw power/usb pass through.  It only functions as a DAC when it gets a signal from toslink/optical.

I assume you are hooking the DSS up to a console over optical and using it for dolby headphone?  If your not, your using it wrong.

Yes that is my setup for gaming.  I was just curious :) thank you for the response.

Feb 26, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #11,962 of 48,566
Ok, so how much of a difference is it between the AKG Q701 and the K701 65th anni?  More bass presence?  How about switching the ear pads?  Can someone verify they make a difference?

I don't want to end up selling my Q's and get the 65th anni just to hear that they sound basically the same with the ear pads switched.... I'd have paid all that when all I needed were the pads...:mad:

You also get a major, MAJOR boost in comfort. The headband swap is a significant upgrade in comfort.

Tdock is sending me his Q701 tomorrow, so pretty soon I'll be able to compare directly, as well as see what the pads do when they are swapped. I'll be spending some quality time with the Q701 for a few days, to get a taste for the differences.

So far, yes, the Annies is warmer, fuller, and the bass is considerably improved, to where the Annie is thumping with the right music.

If you already own the Q701, going to the Annie might just be for the bass, extra smoothness, and extra comfort. So unless you're not happy with any of these things, the upgrade might not be for you. I always found the Q701 to be a little lacking in bass and not the fullest sounding can, which the Annie fixes. Also the headband is literally torture until you either fix it or adjust to the pain. No problem with the Annie.

Seems like this week is gonna be huge for the K701/2/Q/Annie community, as we're gonna start seeing some real comparisons.

Now that I'm getting the Q701 again (thanks Tdock!), I'll be re-writing the Q701 entry in my new review style.

I knew a few of you pm-ed me about loaning me their Q701s, and I appreciate it. Don't think I didn't listen.

Feb 26, 2013 at 2:59 AM Post #11,963 of 48,566
My Mad Dogs just came in the mail today, and this may be new toy syndrome, but I am soooooooo happy I purchased these. Now I haven't heard any other closed headphones in this price range, but I seriously think that these are THE closed headphones for me. A bit warm in the color, but incredibly precise in the presentation. I've only been listening to them for about 20 minutes, so take everything I'm hearing currently as such. No gaming done on them as such yet, but the music... my God the music... I've heard people compare these loosely to the D5k with J$ pads. Having never heard them, I have no idea. Isolation is superb, can't hear the fiancee talking while she sits directly next to me and the only thing I have currently playing is very light Japanese koto music. The alpha pads are so comfortable to me, I never thought I'd say this about a leather pad again, but they're definitely wowing me so far. They are incredibly soft, and I have to say I LOVE the new leather smell. So nice. Wish I had a better amp to truly drive these properly, rather than just my E9. I'll get a photo of them up soon, as well as a shot of the "modded" E9 since MLE asked to see it before.

tl;dr
Mad Dogs: so far, the bite is worthy of the bark.

Heh, I think I'm so totally sold on the Mad Dogs... I've been asking around about them and they seem like a pretty attractive alternative to my DT 880, different enough sound sig to be worth swapping to occasionally while at my desk but versatile enough that they'll be a great pair for the living room.

I didn't even think they isolated that well, thanks for mentioning that; a few of the posts I read seemed to indicate they didn't leak at all but were maybe not quite as isolating, maybe Alpha pads improved on that. Would love to hear more once you've had more time with them...

There doesn't seem to be a lot of great mid-range closed headphones out there, lately it's all heavily slanted towards portables.

I'll have both pairs tomorrow.

I'll get to the bottom of it... :cool:

Looking forward to that, as well as MLE's comparison!

Feb 26, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #11,964 of 48,566
Okay, so I might be another D7000, the listing ends in 5 days anyways.

That means the HE-400 is definitely going up on sale. $300 total. No labels/branding on the HE-400, but hit me up if interested. Have to wait a bit over a week though, as I promised calpis a week head time.

Feb 26, 2013 at 3:50 AM Post #11,965 of 48,566
Quote:
Okay, so I might be another D7000, the listing ends in 5 days anyways.

But what about pads!?

I thought you said something along the lines of "I'll never go back to them..." or equivalent.

Feb 26, 2013 at 3:55 AM Post #11,966 of 48,566
If I get the D7000, I'm gonna order some Lawton pads, which are real leather. Having used the LCD2, I see that leather pads are a bit better in comfort than pleather. My skin doesn't stick to it, and doesn't irritate it as much. I still would prefer velour, but I can live with leather pads.

That's a big if. Guess we'll find out in 5 days.

Not gonna lie, if the HE-400 was with me right now, I'd have a listing up on the FS section. If it sold, then yes, the D7000 would be a yes.

Feb 26, 2013 at 4:40 AM Post #11,967 of 48,566
Thanks.  Ya I felt the same about the bass department.  It left me wanting more.  It did well for gaming but I want to try the Annie's.  I'll most likely have both at the same time to compare so I'll be able to see the differences also.  
Quote:
You also get a major, MAJOR boost in comfort. The headband swap is a significant upgrade in comfort.

Tdock is sending me his Q701 tomorrow, so pretty soon I'll be able to compare directly, as well as see what the pads do when they are swapped. I'll be spending some quality time with the Q701 for a few days, to get a taste for the differences.

So far, yes, the Annies is warmer, fuller, and the bass is considerably improved, to where the Annie is thumping with the right music.

If you already own the Q701, going to the Annie might just be for the bass, extra smoothness, and extra comfort. So unless you're not happy with any of these things, the upgrade might not be for you. I always found the Q701 to be a little lacking in bass and not the fullest sounding can, which the Annie fixes. Also the headband is literally torture until you either fix it or adjust to the pain. No problem with the Annie.

Seems like this week is gonna be huge for the K701/2/Q/Annie community, as we're gonna start seeing some real comparisons.

Now that I'm getting the Q701 again (thanks Tdock!), I'll be re-writing the Q701 entry in my new review style.

I knew a few of you pm-ed me about loaning me their Q701s, and I appreciate it. Don't think I didn't listen.

Feb 26, 2013 at 7:20 AM Post #11,968 of 48,566
Putting my HE-400 up on sale. Just remember, they are currently on loan until the end of next week, so pay now and they'll be shipped out as soon as he's finished.

As I mentioned before, no labeling (just the cable have the L/R indicators).

$300 total, $15 extra if not marked as gift. USA only. PM me if interested.

Feb 26, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #11,969 of 48,566
If I get the D7000, I'm gonna order some Lawton pads, which are real leather. Having used the LCD2, I see that leather pads are a bit better in comfort than pleather. My skin doesn't stick to it, and doesn't irritate it as much. I still would prefer velour, but I can live with leather pads.

That's a big if. Guess we'll find out in 5 days.

Not gonna lie, if the HE-400 was with me right now, I'd have a listing up on the FS section. If it sold, then yes, the D7000 would be a yes.

No luck finding any X1s?

Feb 26, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #11,970 of 48,566
Nope. To be honest, I lost interest. Instead of pinning my hopes on that, I rather just go for what I know made me 100% happy, even if it costs a bit more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back