Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 19, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #11,026 of 48,578
Those stands are sexy. What are they made out of for $25? You must make some decent money, lol, or get good deals somewhere along the line, maybe both. I always see you getting new stuff. So, would your Marantz receiver be enough for the Annies? Also, what are you going to use to mix the game/chat volume when using the receiver?

Meh, it all depends on how savvy you are with money and your life situation... It seems MLE resells most things. Those Brainwavz stands are made of plexi I think, looks like a thick sheet of plexi tho.

If you're gonna balk at $25 for his stand you'd cringe at the $35 I paid for a stainless steel stand a while ago... :D It's really a towel rack from Crate and Barrel, heh, what's worse is that for a whole year that stand just held a pair of $30 JVC headphones. :p

This hobby is still cheaper than a lot of my friend's other hobbies (cars, guns, etc.), or speakers for that matter.

Anyway, I'm curious to know if MLE has any other comments on the stand tho, I do need to get a second one for my living room and I think the Brainwavz one matches that room better (might be gentler on the headband padding too).

Jan 19, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #11,027 of 48,578
Glad you're warming up to it Hey Arnold :p
Quote:
Meh, it all depends on how savvy you are with money and your life situation... It seems MLE resells most things. Those Brainwavz stands are made of plexi I think, looks like a thick sheet of plexi tho.

If you're gonna balk at $25 for his stand you'd cringe at the $35 I paid for a stainless steel stand a while ago...
biggrin.gif
It's really a towel rack from Crate and Barrel, heh, what's worse is that for a whole year that stand just held a pair of $30 JVC headphones.
tongue.gif

This hobby is still cheaper than a lot of my friend's other hobbies (cars, guns, etc.), or speakers for that matter.

Sure. I'm pretty savvy :D Yup. They probably are. Yes it does. I'm not. I'm just a cheap ass. Lol. 25$ seems fair I suppose. Idk how much plexi manufacturing is and what not. Aha. Funny. Yes yes yes it is..

Jan 19, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #11,028 of 48,578
Quote:
I don't think they are velour. I think the Q's and K's are velour, but the Annies are memory foam. I definitely noticed a different in the pads. They keep cooler it seems, while being more comfortable (for me at least), and seem to not attract hair/dust/crap as much. My goodness, lol.

Velour is just the outer material (the soft plush stuff).  Both Q701 and K702/65 have foam inside the pads and the outside is wrapped in velour, but the 65 has memory foam on the inside while the Q701 has "regular" foam.

PS. If your getting crap on your headphone pads, your using it wrong. 
eek.gif

Jan 20, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #11,029 of 48,578
... except what is the purpose of a DAC (Digital-to-Analogue Converter: digital is a binary on/off, 1s and 0s state, it needs to be converted to an analogue waveform signal that vibrates a headphone driver, just so, to create pitch and decibel).

Lossless IS compressed, it's just compressed in such a way and light enough that technically it should be beyond human hearing. DDL is compressed, a DDL 5.1 signal through optical is what feeds the Mixamp, Recon3D USB, DSS, DSS2, Tritton's thingie, etc

SoAmusing, frankly,

Nope, can't do it. Deleted a bunch of stuff again. Kinda wish this was Xbox Live.

Jan 20, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #11,030 of 48,578
I didn't ask for explanations. Really. But here's some things, because instead of upset I'd rather be helpful to others who may have been confused by your post. So here's a few things.

Lossless IS compressed, it's just compressed in such a way and light enough that technically it should be beyond human hearing. DDL is compressed, a DDL 5.1 signal through optical is what feeds the Mixamp, Recon3D USB, DSS, DSS2, Tritton's thingie, etc. You haven't heard ANY of these devices, and I don't think you really know how they work. As far as subjective sound ratings, an honest opinion is a good hint but even a well-respected reviewer doesn't speak gospel and is not going to know what you will experience or like.

6. Sony's Implementation - It's very popular, and if it was the best, everyone would use it. Explanation - It's the truth? It's logic.

Here's an example of your blanket assumptions. There are many others of your flawed "logic." I'm not going to say you'll like Sony's headphone surround, but obviously some do if it's popular, and it may be good enough for them. Another option may be more refined, but neither you nor I have heard it, so we can't claim we know anything by "truth" or "logic" just because we say so.

8. Sound Card - Won't work. It's been tested by BurritoBoy. Explanation - Sorry Man.. << Directed towards Burrito

I have a hard time believing a feature advertised and implemented "won't work," especially since this is essentially already working the same way in devices like the Mixamp and Recon3D USB.

Lastly, I respect Mad's opinion, but if the Recon3D doesn't work for him but it works for me, I'm also going to be open minded about I95NORTH's opinion about the DSS2. I95North also identified the processing tech used, by cirrus logic or something, and it creates a virtual surround effect based on the same DDL 5.1 sound and direction cues fed to it that consoles feed every optical connection. The rumors of it only accepting 4.1 channel surround are ludicrous if you think about it, if my center channel speaker is disconnected from a 5.1 setup I don't get dialogue.
------

I mad this post to get some things off my chest and clear some misconceptions.
DON'T QUOTE THIS POST OR TRY TO EXPLAIN WHERE YOU WERE COMING FROM, WE KNOW. THIS POST AND YOUR PAST ONES ARE BLANKETING THE WALL ENOUGH ALREADY.

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #11,031 of 48,578
Quote:
Hello folks. I did not know this thread existed. This is highly informative. I see that AKG is a good brand for gaming. Something I cannot see anywhere is whether the Q701 is closed or open ear. It looks open, but I cannot find a definitive answer.

Is there anyone here who uses a Core3D card (i.e. Recon3D or Sound Blaster Z) with closed-ear headphones? I'm looking for a good set for under $400 that plays well with SBX. I currently own an X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional, but will be upgrading to a Sound Blaster ZxR in the future.

Why can I never get an answer in these threads? :frowning2:
I'm currently considering the Audio Technica A900x for this. If anyone can give me advice on closed-ear headphones, I'd appreciate it.

Jan 20, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #11,032 of 48,578
Quote:
I'm currently considering the Audio Technica A900x for this. If anyone can give me advice on closed-ear headphones, I'd appreciate it.

Thread can move super fast.

I can give you some headphones to research but opinions I don't have.

DT770 32ohmSE to 600ohm (Pro80 on front page.)
MMX300 DT770 with a mic and much nicer looking cups.
AKG K550
Creavtive Auvaruna Live reviewed front page also I own and love them.
Ultrasone Pro900 reviewed front page.
and your choice the A900X

Can you order from a place with a good return policy? Reason I say this is you can research till you are blue in the face(and still do), get 100s of opinions, but in the end it is all about you. Your head shape your ear shape your brain and how it likes the sound and comfort.

Jan 20, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #11,033 of 48,578
Quote:
I have a hard time believing a feature advertised and implemented "won't work," especially since this is essentially already working the same way in devices like the Mixamp and Recon3D USB.

Not sure where you saw it being advertised and implemented, links? If you still don't believe it I'll make a wager with you where I'll purchase the sound card, send it to you, and when you realize it doesn't work, you pay me for the sound card and $20 for being right. If by some miracle you prove me wrong I'll pay for the sound card, shipping to me and I'll give you $20.

-Erik

P.S. The above was totally meant as a rhetorical statement, although I would like to see proof of it being "advertised and implemented". Read this.

Jan 20, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #11,034 of 48,578
Quote:

The ATH-A900X is about my best sounding headphone.

Jan 20, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #11,035 of 48,578
Lossless audio isn't compressed in a way that any difference should be beyond human hearing, it's compressed in a way that there's literally no difference (vs the uncompressed original)... Hence the name y'know (no loss of information), and why files are like 10x larger than MP3's of any bitrate. It's like zipping up a file, the result after unzipping it isn't a file that's sorta like the original, it's the original.

MP3 are analogous to a JPEG, lossy compression, information's always lost regardless of what bitrate/etc you use. Ideally it's mostly information beyond our hearing range but y'know, it isn't perfect. That's why lossless is a good format for archiving, you can reconvert to any format w/o taking a loss in quality, once you've got an MP3 any further conversion incurs further loss of info.

Note that I'm not advocating lossles should sound far and wide better than high bitrate MP3's or anything, the value of lossless is more for practical purposes than anything IMO. Just trying to clear up previous comments about lossles...

Jan 20, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #11,036 of 48,578
They are definitely more comfortable now that I've actually figured out how to put them on my head...:wink:

Before I wanted to set them straight on the apex(?) of my head. Looking at the headband shape I was able to extrapolate that they (the designers of the headphone) likely wanted us to use it tilted slightly forward. It puts less pressure on my head that way. 

Jan 20, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #11,037 of 48,578
Quote:
Thread can move super fast.

I can give you some headphones to research but opinions I don't have.

DT770 32ohmSE to 600ohm (Pro80 on front page.)
MMX300 DT770 with a mic and much nicer looking cups.
AKG K550
Creavtive Auvaruna Live reviewed front page also I own and love them.
Ultrasone Pro900 reviewed front page.
and your choice the A900X

Can you order from a place with a good return policy? Reason I say this is you can research till you are blue in the face(and still do), get 100s of opinions, but in the end it is all about you. Your head shape your ear shape your brain and how it likes the sound and comfort.

That's good advice, and thanks for the reply. The thing is that I've read the Ultrasone Pro 900 is kind of muddy compared to the competition, and the DT770 is a bass monster. I have an ear condition that causes bass to sound unpleasant to me, so I'd rather not risk a set that emphasizes bass. The Aurvana Live seems like a good choice, but it might be a bit similar to the headset, and I'm really looking to go in the mid audiophile range. I use a Creative Fatal1ty Headset MKII, which I love, but I'd like to go even higher. I didn't know about the AKG K550 though. I'll consider between that and the A900x.

I'm also concerned about how these sets will play with CMSS-3D and SBX. First time I heard CMSS-3D with my MKII, I was blown away. It's useful for me not only in FPSes, but in RPG and adventure titles as well. People underestimate how much it helps to be able to hear zombies and wolves come up behind you.

What's a place with a decent return policy, by the way? I was going to just order from Amazon. I've used them, but have never filed a return, so any advice would be helpful.

Jan 20, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #11,039 of 48,578
Quote:

Velour is just the outer material (the soft plush stuff).  Both Q701 and K702/65 have foam inside the pads and the outside is wrapped in velour, but the 65 has memory foam on the inside while the Q701 has "regular" foam.

PS. If your getting crap on your headphone pads, your using it wrong. 
eek.gif

Ohh. Sorry. You are the expert here :) The outer material indeed does seem the same (because it is). Yeah, let me specify, it felt different when pressure was applied. It feels cooler to me too. Hahaha, oh my, you got me :p
Quote:
Lossless audio isn't compressed in a way that any difference should be beyond human hearing, it's compressed in a way that there's literally no difference (vs the uncompressed original)... Hence the name y'know (no loss of information), and why files are like 10x larger than MP3's of any bitrate. It's like zipping up a file, the result after unzipping it isn't a file that's sorta like the original, it's the original.

MP3 are analogous to a JPEG, lossy compression, information's always lost regardless of what bitrate/etc you use. Ideally it's mostly information beyond our hearing range but y'know, it isn't perfect. That's why lossless is a good format for archiving, you can reconvert to any format w/o taking a loss in quality, once you've got an MP3 any further conversion incurs further loss of info.

Note that I'm not advocating lossles should sound far and wide better than high bitrate MP3's or anything, the value of lossless is more for practical purposes than anything IMO. Just trying to clear up previous comments about lossles...

Thank you. This was my understanding too. Wait, that makes it sound like I could take an original FLAC file and convert it to an 44kbps MP3, while not taking a loss in quality. Further explain this for me please? See, that's why I love MOG. They say they get the files straight from the record companies and what not, while being super high bitrate at 320. I agree with the last statement though.

Quote:
... except what is the purpose of a DAC (Digital-to-Analogue Converter: digital is a binary on/off, 1s and 0s state, it needs to be converted to an analogue waveform signal that vibrates a headphone driver, just so, to create pitch and decibel).

Lossless IS compressed, it's just compressed in such a way and light enough that technically it should be beyond human hearing. DDL is compressed, a DDL 5.1 signal through optical is what feeds the Mixamp, Recon3D USB, DSS, DSS2, Tritton's thingie, etc

SoAmusing, frankly,

Nope, can't do it. Deleted a bunch of stuff again. Kinda wish this was Xbox Live.

Yup, so I was right. That's what I thought a DAC was. Logic and common sense helped me figure that out. I'm just gonna let Impulse's quote resonate here. You and him can go at it. I know how the stuff works. Why? So you could rage at me? Look, If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, I'm not meaning to "spread the gospel" or provide misinformation. These are my findings through plenty of research and talking with people, along with my own hearings. Sorry if I upset you, and honestly, I talk a lot. I'm like a sponge too. I'm learning. I know you didn't ask for explanations, and I guess my quote came off the wrong way, but I feel like I needed to give you them because you said I was being black and white and all that. I had reasons. I really don't think my post was that confusing, but maybe so. I tried. If anyone was confused they could PM me or quote me. Well, no, I haven't heard ANY of those hooked up to my headphones I have now. The thing is, the Mixamp, DSS, and Tritton, are all Dolby HP devices. Mad has reviewed them. I was basically referring back to him. My own opinion though? They all provide the same thing! Dolby HP! Some obviously have higher build quality as compared to the others, hence the hissing, not to mention the other things, most of which are covered in his review. The mixamp has that universal quality about it, as well as the mixing of game and chat, with is very useful. People already know this though. Also, if you throw a receiver into the mix, well, my goodness, I'm really explaining this. I do know though, that those devices oftentimes, will not provide enough power for the headphones, let alone throwing chat in. I'm not going to list all the benefits of a receiver here. People pick what's best for them in a given situation, but as far as FOR ME, which all of this was about, that's why I posted that list. It happens to be a good representation of the best as well, as cut and dry as it may be. I know how they work just fine to make an informed decision. It's popular because it's Sony! It's mainstream! It's widely available! It has good marketing! It is somewhat of a blanket assumption, but really, if it were that good, people on Head-Fi and AVS, as well as the rest, would be using it over the other choices. Mad didn't even mention it. My logic isn't flawed. Yeah, I'll let Burrito handle the sound card. I have no clue about the Recon3D though. Some people prefer ThX TruStudio Pro to CMSS-3D and Dolby Headphone, but this is mainly regarding the PC. I honestly cannot say much about that than what I previously said. I do know though, the only available option is the Recond3Dusb for console, which uses optical, hence the compressed DD5.1. I want PCM. I talked all about this when I first came here. DSS2 sounds pretty neat though. Optical once again. It does sound ridiculous... I had read in two places people weren't sure, from Mad, and KBI. I definitely retract what I said about the DSS2 after further reading. I told you that was the one you could get me on, lol. That's about the only one I have done enough research on.

Quote:

Not sure where you saw it being advertised and implemented, links? If you still don't believe it I'll make a wager with you where I'll purchase the sound card, send it to you, and when you realize it doesn't work, you pay me for the sound card and $20 for being right. If by some miracle you prove me wrong I'll pay for the sound card, shipping to me and I'll give you $20.

-Erik

P.S. The above was totally meant as a rhetorical statement, although I would like to see proof of it being "advertised and implemented". Read this.

Thank you.
Quote:
They are definitely more comfortable now that I've actually figured out how to put them on my head...:wink:

Before I wanted to set them straight on the apex(?) of my head. Looking at the headband shape I was able to extrapolate that they (the designers of the headphone) likely wanted us to use it tilted slightly forward. It puts less pressure on my head that way. 

Mine weren't as uncomfortable as you made yours sound, but yeah, we had the same deal. I knew it! Glad to hear it :) apex? as in middle? Nice vocab btw. Whatever works. I'm not sure where I wear mine (i forgot what two words that sound the same but spelled differently are called).

Jan 20, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #11,040 of 48,578
SoAmusing, I have (as well as most other people) a "mount" in the middle to back of the cranium. Our head isn't exactly flat or perfectly globular...

I place my headband on the crease between the parietal bone and the temporal bone. Whereas before, I put it smack in the middle of the my cranium, where the highest point of my head is located. This illustration isn't exactly 1:1, but just so you get an idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back