Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 18, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #10,966 of 48,562
re: DTS:X

The DTS Headphone:X experience first requires surround content to be encoded as a DTS-HD bitstream, with the room information embedded in the stream. Next, DTS Headphone:X (embedded on a PC, tablet or phone) calibrates the headphones. Finally, the reference data is decoded and post-processing enhancement is employed to deliver a truly amazing, home theater quality surround sound experience over headphones

interesting

Jan 18, 2013 at 8:52 AM Post #10,967 of 48,562
JHalf,
Can I quote your post in my thread about surround audio?

I'm a little tired, so I'll be brief (For Once!). If you have a Marantz, could you use a graphics card with HDMI out? My motherboard has HDMI. USB dongles can add HDMI. HD my eye.

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #10,968 of 48,562
Quote:
JHalf,
Can I quote your post in my thread about surround audio?

I'm a little tired, so I'll be brief (For Once!). If you have a Marantz, could you use a graphics card with HDMI out? My motherboard has HDMI. USB dongles can add HDMI. HD my eye.

Certainly

and WRT your thoughts on HDMI, that's a whole 'nother biscuit. I am wondering what would happen if you connect your sound card to the Video card, if you could pass any DH processing, or 5.1 out through the HDMI.

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #10,970 of 48,562
Jhalf,
HDMI can send up to 8 channels (7.1 surround) of LPCM audio, if my tired brain remembers correctly. It's digital, too. So basically, you'd be having the game choose which channel to place a sound, and the receiver would mix the audio into DH, converting digital-to-analogue, amplify, and send out the signal through the headphone jack. I may have the name of the audio format wrong, but basically receivers can handle it.

I don't know if it's possible to connect a sound card directly to a graphics card, but in the setup I described, the receiver would basically be acting in place of a sound card. Too bad Dolby is 2D not 3D.

Mad,
Exciting. I got your PM too, though I'd already asked Calpis for his address a few days ago :D
I might be able to edit description text for FiiO... Don't call it too early though we'll see. Gonna go to Starbucks now and see if they can schedule an interview.

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #10,971 of 48,562
Quote:
Jhalf,
HDMI can send up to 8 channels (7.1 surround) of LPCM audio, if my tired brain remembers correctly. It's digital, too. So basically, you'd be having the game choose which channel to place a sound, and the receiver would mix the audio into DH, converting digital-to-analogue, amplify, and send out the signal through the headphone jack. I may have the name of the audio format wrong, but basically receivers can handle it.

I don't know if it's possible to connect a sound card directly to a graphics card, but in the setup I described, the receiver would basically be acting in place of a sound card. Too bad Dolby is 2D not 3D.

This is how I understand it too. I was going more along the lines of using the DH from a sound card like a DGX, then just using any old receiver/DAC with an HDMI input to convert it to stereo.

Although I guess what you said would be easier, wonder if the Marantz receiver can output the DH through an RCA out. Then you could have could theoretically have Video card- HDMI out- Marantz receiver- headphone amp (For synergy)- headphone.

It would be interesting to know if the DH sound changes with different inputs into the receiver. (Stereo, or legit 5.1) I still can't find out if DH uses a real 5.1 signal or not, but I would guess that the marantz receiver would tell you its giving you DH regardless of the input you send it.

Jan 18, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #10,972 of 48,562
This is how I understand it too. I was going more along the lines of using the DH from a sound card like a DGX, then just using any old receiver/DAC with an HDMI input to convert it to stereo.

Although I guess what you said would be easier, wonder if the Marantz receiver can output the DH through an RCA out. Then you could have could theoretically have Video card- HDMI out- Marantz receiver- headphone amp (For synergy)- headphone.

It would be interesting to know if the DH sound changes with different inputs into the receiver. (Stereo, or legit 5.1) I still can't find out if DH uses a real 5.1 signal or not, but I would guess that the marantz receiver would tell you its giving you DH regardless of the input you send it.

Define a "real" 5.1 signal? The Mixamp, turtle beach DSS, and Tritton ax720 unit all function by receiving DDL 5.1 audio sent over optical, inside where the unit processes that 5.1 with DH into stereo with the virtual surround effect, then the unit does DAC, Amp, export through headphone jack. DSS2 and Recon3D also use the 5.1 DDL signal, but use their own processing to produce a similar result. On a receiver hooked up to a DVD player or Blu-Ray disc, the disc player sends the 5.1 or 7.1 channels of audio and video through optical (and whatever video-out) or both through HDMI to the receiver, the receiver uses DH again to convert the multi-channel audio to stereo with the surround effect, DAC, amp, e-jack't the signal. A console --> reciever setup is exacly the same. I don't see why a computer couldn't do the same to a receiver and suddenly DH couldn't "use a real 5.1 signal" and do the rest.

If you want RCA out, couldn't you just use a 3.5mm to RCA cable?

If you don't like the surround processing or amp of a receiver, seems strange to use the receiver at all just for it's DAC.

I know I'm tired, but I just got pretty confused.

Jan 18, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #10,973 of 48,562
Wow, so I sent the package WITHOUT the HE-400 cable...

In a mad rush, I drove back to the mail service (Pakmail) and told him to get my package. Thank god they hadn't picked it up yet. :rolleyes:

Been a long night.

Jan 18, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #10,974 of 48,562
Wow, so I sent the package WITHOUT the HE-400 cable...

In a mad rush, I drove back to the mail service (Pakmail) and told him to get my package. Thank god they hasn't picked it up yet. :rolleyes:

Been a long night.

Good exercise? :rolleyes:

Jan 18, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #10,975 of 48,562
I do not know where my head is at today... though it's probably in my car. It won't start, had to borrow my roomie's for two days. Sigh... anyways, I fixed the issue. The HE-400 is completely on it's way. :ph34r:

Jan 18, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #10,976 of 48,562
Quote:
Define a "real" 5.1 signal? The Mixamp, turtle beach DSS, and Tritton ax720 unit all function by receiving DDL 5.1 audio sent over optical, inside where the unit processes that 5.1 with DH into stereo with the virtual surround effect, then the unit does DAC, Amp, export through headphone jack. DSS2 and Recon3D also use the 5.1 DDL signal, but use their own processing to produce a similar result. On a receiver hooked up to a DVD player or Blu-Ray disc, the disc player sends the 5.1 or 7.1 channels of audio and video through optical (and whatever video-out) or both through HDMI to the receiver, the receiver uses DH again to convert the multi-channel audio to stereo with the surround effect, DAC, amp, e-jack't the signal. A console --> reciever setup is exacly the same. I don't see why a computer couldn't do the same to a receiver and suddenly DH couldn't "use a real 5.1 signal" and do the rest.

If you want RCA out, couldn't you just use a 3.5mm to RCA cable?

If you don't like the surround processing or amp of a receiver, seems strange to use the receiver at all just for it's DAC.

I know I'm tired, but I just got pretty confused.

Okay, so you have confirmed that DH does infact use an encoded 5.1 signal. That was what i was asking, and not sure if true. I have also suspected that if you give the marantz receiver a stereo signal it would try to use dolby pro logic give you a (not as good) DH signal.

The benefit to using the marantz receiver as apposed to a DAC, is that it is the same price as a cheap soundcard + DAC. Plus it gives you options to hook all kinds of other stuff up to it, Bookshelf speakers, whatever.

Its also unique to me because my nice home theater system using an Onkyo 806 receiver is setup in my living room, where my computer rig is also setup. I am currently using a 35' long HDMI cable from my computer to the onkyo receiver for when i want to listen to, or display content on my nice home theater setup. if i then put a Marantz receiver on my desk I could use its HDMI switch to go to both receivers (My 570 GTX only has 1 HDMI out).

Ideally I am trying to find the best solution for my computers headphone setup. it originally involved DGX->DAC->M-Stage->Annies, but the DAC is tricky because there arent any decent AC power, with optical input units I can find in my price range. But if the receiver could give me the DH and DAC through my video cards HDMI, then I could replace those things with it.

Im sure half of what I'm saying doesnt make sense, Im just throwing out random thoughts. 

Jan 18, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #10,977 of 48,562
Okay, so you have confirmed that DH does infact use an encoded 5.1 signal. That was what i was asking, and not sure if true. I have also suspected that if you give the marantz receiver a stereo signal it would try to use dolby pro logic give you a (not as good) DH signal.
yes

The benefit to using the marantz receiver as apposed to a DAC, is that it is the same price as a cheap soundcard + DAC. Plus it gives you options to hook all kinds of other stuff up to it, Bookshelf speakers, whatever.
true, passive speakers would become an option. But here's something that'll start to mess with ya: speaker impedances are usually only 8 or even 6 ohms. {Funny Voice:} HOW DO WE LOWER RECEIVER OUTPUT IMPEDANCE FOR SPEAKERS NOW? :O
Joking aside, I have no idea what the output impedance of the speaker outs are, but if they are even 1 ohm, then the very popular Pioneer speaker line that came out last year, all with 6 ohm impedance, would cause global warming and nuclear winter according to the ohm-matching synergy theory, simultaneously.

Ok, so maybe I wasn't done joking, but I'm trying to be lighthearted while making a point. I've seen a lot of people "scared" of output impedance and propagating the theory, but I haven't yet met a person who could cite a creditable source and convincingly prove the theory. I HAVE met DIY'ers who have made convincing arguments to the contrary, and referred the origins of the theory/myth back to a company (who happened to make low-ohm outputs) making claims about impedance matching problems for crossovers in multi-driver speakers (stereo headphones don't have any crossovers). It would be like Bose making a successful marketing claim that "The silver color of our headphone earcups are what gives our headphones sparkly treble. BETTER SOUND THROUGH RESEARCH, BEEOTCHES!"

I HAVE (ahem, sorry, caps lock) a post saved about this issue for, you guessed it, a future topic in my thread. I'm very interested how it'll play out, but I hope people don't get mad.

Its also unique to me because my nice home theater system using an Onkyo 806 receiver is setup in my living room, where my computer rig is also setup. I am currently using a 35' long HDMI cable from my computer to the onkyo receiver for when i want to listen to, or display content on my nice home theater setup. if i then put a Marantz receiver on my desk I could use its HDMI switch to go to both receivers (My 570 GTX only has 1 HDMI out).
Nice. Everything together is basically my situation too, though I'm not "allowed" to hook anything up to a TV so everything is connected to my computer monitor, at the moment.

Ideally I am trying to find the best solution for my computers headphone setup. it originally involved DGX->DAC->M-Stage->Annies, but the DAC is tricky because there arent any decent AC power, with optical input units I can find in my price range. But if the receiver could give me the DH and DAC through my video cards HDMI, then I could replace those things with it.

Im sure half of what I'm saying doesnt make sense, Im just throwing out random thoughts. 

Do I make sense? Lol. I should eat something.

If the DGX or similarly priced soundcard has a headphone jack, can I suggest you at least try DGX->M-Stage->Annies before you buy a DAC? I'm only trying to be a friend and save you a few hundred bucks. If you haven't bought an M-Stage yet, yet you desire the option of bookshelf speaker alternatives, I would suggest you instead buy an integrated amp like the Audiogon N22, for example. It's like a receiver without the FM receiver, and more care spent (according to the mfr) on the headphone components than on a typical receiver.

I am again ignoring source switching and stuff from receivers, because in your case you want to connect one source to two outputs... receivers ALSO usually just have one HDMI out.
-----

Mad,
We should sleep. Not together, but probably at the same time. My iPad's onscreen keyboard has begun to appear to have iridescent purple and green hues to it. But first, I must call a lady at a hotel to ask if I can work for her as an audio/video assistant, then I'll make a sandwich. Toasted roast beef with melted Brie cheese. Mmmmh.

Jan 18, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #10,978 of 48,562
Okay, info dump time. This is how I have my PC connected to my H&K avr254. First of all, I have 3 different audio outputs connected to my computer: Asus xonar u1 to Matrix Mstage, Onboard stereo jack to Mirage omni directional ipod speaker dock, and GTX550ti to Harman Kardon AVR254. Each setup has a different purpose and I switch between them using this program for windows that stays in the icon tray area.
http://www.2shared.com/complete/QfcDZ8Vm/AudioSwitcher.html

First here are the wire connections: DVI-1 of my gtx550 to DVI port on my monitor. DVI-2/HDMI-Mini of my gtx550 to HDMI-IN on my receiver. HDMI-OUT of my receiver to HDMI-IN of my monitor.
I have it setup this way so I can still use my PC without having to have my receiver always be on.

Now here's how I have it setup in windows 7:
Enable 2nd extended monitor in the nvidia control panel. Turn on the receiver. Control Panel>Sound and set the receiver as the primary sound device. Make sure under "configure speakers" when you right click on the receiver is set to either 5.1 or 7.1. Boom audio.
If you don't enable the 2nd monitor then the hdcp chain isn't complete and you won't get any audio. When I turn off the receiver, the receiver no longer appears in the sound devices.

Jan 18, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #10,979 of 48,562
Quote:
Do I make sense? Lol. I should eat something.

If the DGX or similarly priced soundcard has a headphone jack, can I suggest you at least try DGX->M-Stage->Annies before you buy a DAC? I'm only trying to be a friend and save you a few hundred bucks. If you haven't bought an M-Stage yet, yet you desire the option of bookshelf speaker alternatives, I would suggest you instead buy an integrated amp like the Audiogon N22, for example. It's like a receiver without the FM receiver, and more care spent (according to the mfr) on the headphone components than on a typical receiver.

I am again ignoring source switching and stuff from receivers, because in your case you want to connect one source to two outputs... receivers ALSO usually just have one HDMI out.

Mad,
We should sleep. Not together, but probably at the same time. My iPad's onscreen keyboard has begun to appear to have iridescent purple and green hues to it. But first, I must call a lady at a hotel to ask if I can work for her as an audio/video assistant, then I'll make a sandwich. Toasted roast beef with melted Brie cheese. Mmmmh.

Thats awesome, And I will def try the DGX-Mstage-Annies. The M Stage is already bought.

The thought about the receiver is that i could do GTX570 HDMI Out -> marantz receiver < M Stage-> Annies
                                                                                                                          HDMI Out-> Onkyo Receiver-> Home Theater Content

Users who are viewing this thread

Back