Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 25, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #9,226 of 48,562
will be double amping with asgard
I figured the planars weren't that great from what i have read about them for gaming but after reading battle of the flagships forum and seeing the 500 had a 9.5 i think for imaging and soundstage, i thought maybe there was a difference between the two. 
Thanks for the input

Nov 26, 2012 at 4:07 AM Post #9,227 of 48,562
Wondering if anyone has tried the he-500 with dolby headphone. I plan on getting these headphones no matter what for music. Won't matter much if they don't have good accurate imaging or soundstage because i find the 2013 a40 bundle to be exceptional compared to the old. The headphone itself has more bass and that is nice but i find the real winner to be the new mixamp pro. I'm pretty sure they use a higher quality dac than all the other mixamps as i've gotten a new pair for christmas every year. I plugged in my older a40's a30's my d2000's and 598's and all of them sounded more full and detailed then they did before. Voices for chat are CRAZY clearer too.

Maybe it has a higher quality DAC (usually reveals itself by having better detail resolution), but your description sounds like it might be a higher-powered amp in the new Mixamp. Yours is the first FAVORABLE comparison I've read vs the older Mixamps so far (not much difference either way though, really), so that's interesting. "More bass... " "more full and detailed..." "Voices for chat are CRAZY clearer too [more game/chat volume headroom perhaps?]" all sound favorable to a more powerful, clean amp. If you get a new one every year, would you perhaps bestow your old ones to another head-fi'er?

@Rebel,
LMAO man, I'm tempted to try that with my E5...

Nov 26, 2012 at 9:07 AM Post #9,228 of 48,562
Wondering if anyone has tried the he-500 with dolby headphone. I plan on getting these headphones no matter what for music. Won't matter much if they don't have good accurate imaging or soundstage because i find the 2013 a40 bundle to be exceptional compared to the old. The headphone itself has more bass and that is nice but i find the real winner to be the new mixamp pro. I'm pretty sure they use a higher quality dac than all the other mixamps as i've gotten a new pair for christmas every year. I plugged in my older a40's a30's my d2000's and 598's and all of them sounded more full and detailed then they did before. Voices for chat are CRAZY clearer too.

Which EQ setting are you using on the 2013 mix amp? Or is the improvement heard even on Core Mode (No EQ settings applied)?

Nov 26, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #9,229 of 48,562
i believe i was using the top left eq setting.  I borrowed my friends for a night.  Mine won't be here till Christmas.

Nov 26, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #9,230 of 48,562
I did try both the old a40 and the new a40 with out eqing and the new a40 definitely has more bass.  The old one did not gain any without the presets.  I don't know if the eq-ing is done digital or analog.

Nov 26, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #9,231 of 48,562
Quote:
i believe i was using the top left eq setting.  I borrowed my friends for a night.  Mine won't be here till Christmas.

I think that's the pro mode for FPS, which I assume reduces the bass some to highlight things like footsteps.  That might also be why voices sounded clearer?  idk

speaking of the mixamp, I wish Astro would hurry up and release the standalone version.  I'm getting impatient and would rather not buy an a40 or a30 bundle.

Also, it looks like there will be an Amazon lightning deal on the DPX21 bundle later today.  It looks like it includes the DSS1.  So if that drops to a cheap enough price, I'll be tempted to grab that instead of the mixamp.

Nov 26, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #9,233 of 48,562
That Monoprice headset with the dolby headphone amp is out. Someone needs to get it quickly. :D

Nov 26, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #9,237 of 48,562
Quote:

I used to use the HE-500's with a mixamp. MLE is right- they're not the best for competitive gaming, but their bass and overall SQ made up for it IMO. I even used a nice Audio Technica mic and a microphone preamp with the Mixamp.
redface.gif

so jelly :D
Quote:
Nice! Lol. Only on head-fi, lol.

and seriously xD 

I'm so envious of your FPS dudes... not really though I like mah Rpgs and Racers... engines sound pretty bad out of hte Dt 880 :D, and I can hear them suckers creeping behind me now from SO much farther away ^^

Nov 26, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #9,238 of 48,562
Nov 27, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #9,240 of 48,562
so jelly :D
and seriously xD 

I'm so envious of your FPS dudes... not really though I like mah Rpgs and Racers... engines sound pretty bad out of hte Dt 880 :D, and I can hear them suckers creeping behind me now from SO much farther away ^^

I crave a good Racer every now and then, I used to play SW Podracing, San Francisco RUSH 2049, Re-Volt, and Burnout 3 A LOT back in the day, but nothing has rekindled the craving for a while. I honestly don't know what's good for the 360, I haven't looked. Realistic driving sims usually don't hold my interest for long, maybe I prefer to play in a departure from real life in general. I'm always ready for a good RPG, but after a while I get very aware that Im just playing by myself. Multiplayer games really liven up the game experience for me, but MMO's have yet to actually translate the RPG experience for me. Though a few good/great RPGs pop up every now and then, my perception is that it is at nowhere near the level of PS2/Dreamcast era, and we are now in the Age of FPS.

I kinda want the new SSX snowboarding game, now that I think of past cravings...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back