Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Sep 7, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #7,414 of 48,562
I like turtles!

Sep 7, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #7,419 of 48,562
Quote:
So I ordered the DT770 pros. Now I'm stuck. For console Dolby Headphone is the Astro mixamp my only real option?

First page is your friend... and so is MLE for writing the guide. 
Mixamp, AX720 Decoder box, DSS/DSS2, Recon, reciever with DH/SC, Headzone amp all have their positives/negatives. Give more information and you'll be rewarded with a better recommendation based on your needs:
What system are you going to be playing on?
How important is voice chat?
How much is your budget?

Sep 7, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #7,420 of 48,562
Guys, does the Recon 3D USB decode DTS? I can't remember if this was answered.

Sep 7, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #7,421 of 48,562
Quote:
Guys, does the Recon 3D USB decode DTS? I can't remember if this was answered.

It does NOT. I tried it myself; all you get is silence.

You'll have to use the SU-DH1 for any DTS sources.

Everyone else, prepare for more surround processor reviews! (Too bad one of them is discontinued, and it happens to be the ONLY reasonably-priced one with DTS support.)

Sep 7, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #7,422 of 48,562
Sigh, considering how everything is moving towards DTS, this is unnaceptable that all these NON-Dolby specific devices not decode DTS. That is just STUPID.

Sep 8, 2012 at 5:14 AM Post #7,423 of 48,562
Just a heads up to anyone that wants a cheap solution to get DH on your PC. There's a few of the Plantronics Gamecom 777 usb adapters on ebay from around $9-$15 shipped and it does do DH. I have had the dongle since I bought that headset a couple years ago and works fine (never really used it since I mainly game on consoles).

Side note: This dongle processes audio to DH only by going from Dolby Pro Logic II -> 5.1 -> Dolby headphone. This is something I just realized when I was reading into it today. This only accepts 2 channel audio and there's no way to set it up to take in a pure 5.1 audio stream. But for the most part, it still works fine when testing this with the 5.1 mix of Gunbuster and setting the output as DPLII with ac3filter.

Sep 8, 2012 at 5:41 AM Post #7,424 of 48,562
So basically, it will do the Pro Logic II variant of Dolby Headphone?

That's... not bad. the PLII version sounds echoey and extra processed in comparison to a DD 5.1 -> DH, but the positional cues are nearly as good, and at times, better than the real thing.

For that cheap, I'd get it...if I gamed on PC. :D

Sep 8, 2012 at 7:03 AM Post #7,425 of 48,562
TL; DR (I finally figured out what that means! Now I know why I got it all the time in replies and comments...)
Basically, ohms are part of it, and so is sensitivity. Head-Fi'ers generally say a headphone is hard to drive if it needs a lot of current.
It indeed is very entry level, but I have even more of an entry level budget than you do. Would I be "happier" if I wait for an O2? That's what I'm trying to find out, but it's just a decision in the end and an overall inconsequential fork in the road of life. Blip!
Oh, also, I noticed the Downtown has a flat cable :)

Agreed but current (amps) is useful for low impedance headphones as more amperage is required to over come them. In higher impedance headphones you need more voltage to overcome the resistance. (ohms) I'm sure you knew this but my problem here in lies that the 701 genre or family is really neither low ohm (32 and below) and high ohm (100+). So finding a willing source maybe difficult. One that has a high voltage and fast current if you will. A powerhouse of an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back