Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Sep 5, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #7,366 of 48,562
Quote:
The Q701 ais as hard to drive as the K701/2. It just has a fuller sound, so it SEEMS easier to drive. It isn't. They both need quality amping, and they are both very picky with amps. By far the pickiest headphone I have used in terms of amping.

This.

The K702 and Q701 I compared both took the same amount of juice, but the Q701 was a bit weightier and the K702 a bit lighter sounding at the same volume level - makes it seem like the Q701 is easier to drive.

Sep 5, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #7,367 of 48,562
I forgot to mention this, but Astro seems to have completely discontinued the Mixamp 5.8 (can't even buy it in a bundle). Looks like they are forcing people to buy the A50, meaning no more external headphones.

Makes me wonder if they'll do away with the Mixamp Pro, or at least force you to get it with the A30/A40.

GET IT WHILE YOU CAN!

Sep 5, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #7,368 of 48,562
Quote:
The Titanium HD doesn't have a headphone amp, creative info is misleading.  Also I would say the Q701 as well just from seeing a couple of people mentioning that it  easy to drive. You def do not want a AKG K702 I used to have one and boy its picky with which every amp you use with it. I did in up finding something that worked nice with.

I own the Titanium-HD, totally worth it. As for the amp, PurpleAngel or Obobskivich would be the two best people to ask IMO to my knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrengray 
i think the Titanium HD has no amp built in.

I have a problem now and am wodering if anyone knows what it could be.
when i first got the sound card and headphones i would leave them on overnight with music playing in order to break in the headphones.
The last 2 nights i have left the pc on with the headphones plugged in but nothing playing. when i get up in the morning and put the headphones on there is a loud fan like noise in the headphones and a mild hiss. unplugging the headphones does not solve it. it is the same when i plug them

Quote:

Technically, every audio device with analog outputs is amplified. The question is how it's amplified. The Titanium HD circuit doesn't seem to be optimized for extremely demanding dynamic/ortho headphones, but I wouldn't know for sure without having one to test with and a dedicated headphone amp to compare against.

I know it has an amp but I am not sure how far it can drive headphones.

If you can make sense of these to pages then this will answer your question but if you are not good in science or math it can be overwhelming.
http://www.apexhifi.com/specs.html
http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-impedance

Sep 5, 2012 at 3:56 AM Post #7,369 of 48,562
Quote:
I forgot to mention this, but Astro seems to have completely discontinued the Mixamp 5.8 (can't even buy it in a bundle). Looks like they are forcing people to buy the A50, meaning no more external headphones.
Makes me wonder if they'll do away with the Mixamp Pro, or at least force you to get it with the A30/A40.
GET IT WHILE YOU CAN!

I still see some bundles: http://www.astrogaming.com/a30-wireless-system

But I DO NOT approve of them not selling the mixamp 5.8 standalone.

I DO approve of someone more companies getting into the surround sound headphone amps game!  (FiiOOoooo)

Sep 5, 2012 at 4:23 AM Post #7,370 of 48,562
I somehow didn't see how to look at the bundles. My bad. I was mistaken, lol.

So I've decided to return the DT990/32. I love them. I don't feel bad, as they were bought used with a 30 day return window.

Yet again, where I work, my company lost the contract to, so at the end of this month, I don't know if my company will have anywhere to put me. I rather save the $200 for now.

If/when I know I have a set contract again, I'll probably get the Pro 900 again. Now that I have the E17, I can tame the treble a bit (I find it a bit more metallic than the 990's). Besides, my last Pro 900 had a channel imbalance.

It just makes more sense to have a closed compliment to the HE-400, especially since I can't really lay down with the HE-400 without affect the SQ (the pillows tend to block part of the grills). I'd love to the The T50RP/Mad Dogs, but not until there are velour pads for it.

Sep 5, 2012 at 5:25 AM Post #7,371 of 48,562
Philips Fidelio X1

Easily the sexiest headphone I've seen in awhile. (right up there with the SRH1840).

It's gonna be $390, 30ohm, 50mm neodymium drivers (angled), has memory foam velour, and is open. Those who have tested it say it has a really big soundstage, with a natural tonal balance, being ever so slightly bass light.

That sounds like a damn winner for gaming, IMHO. Possibly a competitor vs the Q701? ETA: this month.

The headband component is breathable mesh and seems to be like the Q701 (self adjusting), which is to say, AWESOME. I just hope it has enough extension for bigger heads. The Q701 could use more extension.

I want one. I do. :frowning2:

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7bSQavUvFo[/VIDEO]

Damn, I'd get one just because of how damn sexy it is. It's ticking all the right boxes for me, except maybe not having enough bass...

Sep 5, 2012 at 8:34 AM Post #7,372 of 48,562
I have a pair of hd598's, but i see for the mixamp pro and Tritton AX 720 you say that through the USB only stereo is possible; as a pc gamer is DH unattainable? Is DH like n-key rollover, simply not possible through a usb connection? 

Sep 5, 2012 at 10:18 AM Post #7,373 of 48,562
Quote:
I own the Titanium-HD, totally worth it. As for the amp, PurpleAngel or Obobskivich would be the two best people to ask IMO to my knowledge.

I know it has an amp but I am not sure how far it can drive headphones.

If you can make sense of these to pages then this will answer your question but if you are not good in science or math it can be overwhelming.
http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-impedance

Yea the Titanium HD is a great card, but I also used to own a Titanium HD my self and I had to use a external Amp with it, I should say it doesn't have a decent headphone amp as you right it still have headphone buffer which is  some form of amp it just not a decent one.   Cause I did tried plugging in DT880 pro-250 directly into the card, it didn't do a good job and it did not sound the way it should, and i even tried using the front panel audio jack with the same results. So I plugged it back into the matrix M-Stage V2 I had at the time with the card. So i was saying from experience that it didn't.

Also certain low ohm headphones will not get much power from the Titanium HD as well, like the two that was already mentioned.

Sep 5, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #7,374 of 48,562
Since when did we start getting +rep? Well the helpful icon.

Quote:
Philips Fidelio X1

Easily the sexiest headphone I've seen in awhile. (right up there with the SRH1840).
It's gonna be $390, 30ohm, 50mm neodymium drivers (angled), has memory foam velour, and is open. Those who have tested it say it has a really big soundstage, with a natural tonal balance, being ever so slightly bass light.
That sounds like a damn winner for gaming, IMHO. Possibly a competitor vs the Q701? ETA: this month.
The headband component is breathable mesh and seems to be like the Q701 (self adjusting), which is to say, AWESOME. I just hope it has enough extension for bigger heads. The Q701 could use more extension.
I want one. I do.
frown.gif
Damn, I'd get one just because of how damn sexy it is. It's ticking all the right boxes for me, except maybe not having enough bass...

I think the new K550 are uber sexy. Thought I have to say on headphones that cost more than 250 bucks should require a detatchable cord, i.e. be able to replace it if need be!
angry_face.gif

Quote:
Yea the Titanium HD is a great card, but I also used to own a Titanium HD my self and I had to use a external Amp with it, I should say it doesn't have a decent headphone amp as you right it still have headphone buffer which is  some form of amp it just not a decent one.   Cause I did tried plugging in DT880 pro-250 directly into the card, it didn't do a good job and it did not sound the way it should, and i even tried using the front panel audio jack with the same results. So I plugged it back into the matrix M-Stage V2 I had at the time with the card. So i was saying from experience that it didn't.

Also certain low ohm headphones will not get much power from the Titanium HD as well, like the two that was already mentioned.

I am still learning all this.
confused_face.gif
I know low impedance is more dependent on current and higher impedance is dependent more on volts. It still confuses me on the calculations. I think I will find a science professor today at school and ask them to explain it on the chalk board lol. I understand the science, hell I am amazing at science, I lack in math as I still have never taken Calc even.
frown.gif

Sep 5, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #7,376 of 48,562
Quote:
Philips Fidelio X1

Damn, sexy indeed. If those really are a step up from the Q701, I might have to sell my beloved DT990...

Sep 5, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #7,377 of 48,562
Quote:
Sorry, my english is very bad. Q701 need for amp or the X-Fi Titanium HD bear?

Q701 must be amped, yes. The Titanium HD does have a form of amp but it will not be nearly enough to power those cans. Xonar STX would be a better choice if you need an SC/Amp combo. I personally have the Q701, Tit-HD, and an O2 amp.

Edit. Actually it might be able to power the Q701 alone as the Q701 have an impedance of 62 Ohms. The THD can only power up to 33Ohm headphones through the front panel jack. However it can support up to 330Ohms at 117dBA. I would still advice an out sourced amp as.... I am not sure the current rating on the THD.

Sep 5, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #7,379 of 48,562
Again, the Q701 is very hard to drive. DO NOT look at ohms as a way to see if a headphone is easy or hard to drive. The HE-4 is like 35ohm, and one of the hardest things to drive in the headphone world. You can't even get a decent volume off a some desktop amps with it.

And yes, the O2 is sold by JDS Labs here in America.

Sep 5, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #7,380 of 48,562
Quote:
Again, the Q701 is very hard to drive. DO NOT look at ohms as a way to see if a headphone is easy or hard to drive. The HE-4 is like 35ohm, and one of the hardest things to drive in the headphone world. You can't even get a decent volume off a some desktop amps with it.
And yes, the O2 is sold by JDS Labs here in America.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back