Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 24, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #7,126 of 48,562
Damn, it's so hard A/B-ing the HE-400 and DT990/32. I love them both for entirely different reasons. Lol. The HE-400 adds this warmth, body, and realism to the sound, but I go back to the DT990, and it adds this energy and fun factor to the music. I'm stoked to have them both...argh! The good thing about both is that the HE-400 reminds me of what I loved in the Q701's but with even more body and bass (teh tradeoff being the soundstage size), and the DT990 reminds me of what I love about V-shaped headphones without being as problematic in the treble as I remember the 600ohm being, nor is the bass overwhelming for a bassy headphone.

All in all, I think I found the two best headphones for ME... but I'm not someone who sees myself switching back and forth based on mood. I'd use both for any occasion. I wish the DT990 was 'closed'. I really do prefer it over the Pro 900.

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #7,127 of 48,562
Let me guess: your wallet can't allow keeping both, thus you're trying to decide on just one? That's Head-Fi for you...as it stands, I'm really having the temptation lately to get more headphones AND a proper amplifier if the opportunity presents itself, because I just cannot have enough Stax experience.

By the way, I get the Recon3D USB on Wednesday and will start evaluating it then. Would you like to review it yourself after I'm done with it, particularly the Dolby Digital S/PDIF decoding aspect of it?

Aug 25, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #7,128 of 48,562
I'll see if you deem it worthy first. If you do, pm me, we'll work something out. My biggest problem is that I don't spend a lot of time gaming anymore...

I still don't know how the Recon 3D is supposed too work on consoles...

As for my cans, I can own both, but that's a guilty purchase if I've ever had one, lol. I still want a 3DS XL. :frowning2:

What's funny is just how much the HE400 leaks vs the DT990. The DT990 may as well be a closed headphone in comparison. The HE400 leaks like all hell. I can actually use the DT990 when my roomie is sleeping (she sleeps with the door open while I'm in the living room), without feeling guilty. The DT990's leak doesn't travel that far or that loudly. The HE400 is like having a small radio playing. It's crazy. They both don't really reach her room, but the HE-400 comes close.

Aug 25, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #7,129 of 48,562
No new cans for me for a while, b/c instead I'm doing a much needed wanted TV upgrade
biggrin.gif

Aug 25, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #7,130 of 48,562
I sold off my original D7000, HE-4, and the Schiit Lyr to help fund for my Panasonic 65ST30 (65" 3D Plasma). I know the feeling of having to hold back on audio stuff for videophile stuff. :D

Aug 25, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #7,131 of 48,562
The HE-400 probably leaks so much because of the dipole nature of planar drivers, which is to say that they emit sound both inward and outward due to being a symmetrical sandwich of materials. The same thing happens with the Stax sets I've tried.

It's also why ESL users like to place their speakers some distance from the wall behind them, since placing them too close to the wall doesn't make the most of the backwave or whatever you might call it as it reflects off the wall and back toward your ears.

Aug 25, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #7,132 of 48,562
Yeah. Just hovering your hands near the HE-400's cups will alter SQ negatively. I'm talking about like 8 inches away... that's quite some distance for the outside world to affect the HE-400. This is why I don't like laying down with themn, as my pillows might affect the SQ...

Aug 25, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #7,133 of 48,562
8" sounds like quite the exaggeration.

My SR-Lambda is noticeably affected just by hovering my hands beside the cups, one or even two inches away...but around the three-inch mark, my hands no longer affect the sound.

And I know the feeling about videophilia...ironically, while I'm more of a videophile at heart, the reason I'm descending into audiophilia is that, by comparison, it's actually cheaper to own an electrostatic rig. (Well, not the Sennheiser Orpheus or a Stax SR-009 + BHSE. I meant Stax Lambda and Koss ESP/950 systems.)

I just can't afford the displays I really want, ranging from a Sony GDM-FW900 (for a PC monitor) to a Sony G70 or Barco Cine 9 (for front projectors), and don't get me started on the HMDs (though the Oculus Rift may change that). Rarity doesn't help at all, since most of what I want is older CRT-based hardware.

At least I can find a capture card that meets my standards for a mere US$125, and it's not ridiculously rare like the Immersive Holo3DGraph II cards I was seeking prior while also working on Win7 64-bit systems and accepting HDMI input...

Aug 25, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #7,134 of 48,562
8" sounds like quite the exaggeration.

I'm trying it right now. Having my hands that close affects SQ. Not as much as when my hands are closer, but it does prove to me that it DOES affect the sound. edit: Okay, more like 5 inches. :p

And I'm still on the hunt for a 1080p display with HDMI inputs that can fold up like a laptop. Lol. I know some laptops have it (certain Alienware and Origin laptops to name some), but I don't want a computer.

Aug 25, 2012 at 5:19 AM Post #7,135 of 48,562
Mad,
It sounds like the HE 400 is really impressive in sound quality and is an achievement in tactile quality for something it's size, but the much less expensive DT990 32ohm provides an equal level of enjoyment (yeah for different reasons), could be considered more comfortable (light), and is all around easier to live with. That's not to say that the making the extra considerations for the HE 400 can't be fun in their own right, it's a way of being dedicated to your experience, and it kinda fulfills the same obsession that would be otherwise focused on comparing all the headphones that piqué your curiosity. That last sentence got away from me a bit, but maybe you need a headphone that requires your attention and accessories so that you can finally have reached your headphone endgame. At least until the wear out. Eh, I dunno where I'm going with this, it's late and I'm tired.

NamelessPFG,
I didn't know of the corporate maneuvering Creative did, just heard about Daniel_K and assumed that (like most companies) they want to keep their internal tech so that they retain their competitive advantage. But yeah, it sounds like in hindsight they've managed to make their special features irrelevant by making it difficult to implement them in games.
Though I did buy the Recon3D USB anyway. Mine arrives on Tuesday, hopefully our reviews and comments compliment eachother. Oh, and Mad Lust Envy, there are jacks for headphone and mic, and a combo optical-in/aux-in jack for connecting to the Xbox's toslink port for 5.1 surround, and a USB port for computers. The rest is all volume stuff and the two EQ presets.

Holy! I thought I saw an animal in my room! Alright I'm going to sleep now XD.

Aug 25, 2012 at 6:05 AM Post #7,137 of 48,562
You're right, however, the DT990/32's treble is noticeably less peaky than the 600ohms, despite Zombie's statements. I have used the DT990/600 as my main can longer than I'm sure he has, and I'm very well acquainted with their sound. The 32ohm's treble is easier on the ears by quite a stretch. I honestly think that those who didn't like the DT990/600's treble could probably try and like the 32ohm. But hey, what do I know?

In any case, I spent all of tonight A/B-ing the HE400 and DT990, and the HE-400 just consistently wows me with everything I throw at it. I do love the DT990's, and they are great on their own merits, even if the HE-400 is a definite step above overall. Still, I'm re-adjusting to the DT990's fit on my head and whatnot, and I'm finding them more comfortable than I remember. They really are light as a feather, and I dunno about everyone else, but my ears don't get crunched up against the padding. Some of you must have some dumbo sized ears... :ph34r: When you put the HE400, then go and put the DT990's on... it's quite a contrast in weight and pad comfort. Those DT990 velours should be a sin. They are too damn soft and lovely, lol.

I feel like I can relax with the DT990 more than the HE400, and use them while laying back, etc.

They're just great all rounders for me, with that extra benefit of being energetic and immediately pleasing for my preferred genres. I really am leaning on keeping them.

My KSC35 is about to be sent out to Koss for repair/replacement. I don't hardly ever use them, but I feel naked without them. It's gonna cost me $9 for the ship/handling back to me, not to mention the cost of shipping it to them. That's probably more than the cost of the KSC75! The lifetime warranty sounds good on paper, but for the KSC75, it's probably best to just buy a new pair. However, the KSC35 was $45, so I guess I better take the hit and get them fixed.

That's one thing I hate about these and the 75s... the eventually get driver rattle. It's happened to both my 75 and 35, and on the same driver. I didn't use the KSC35 THAT much, so I'm convinced that this is a widespread occurrence, as I have heard the same of other KSC75 owners.

Oh, damn it! My E17 came yesterday, but I was working, and they wanted signature confirmation. BOO. So now I have to reschedule the delivery or pick them up in nowhereville, which is bullcrap, as there is a post office right next to my apartments. They're doing this on purpose, I swear. Oh well, I can't really use it until Monday anyways, as my two long days are today and tomorrow, where I have literally an hour or two to wind down before I HAVE to sleep. :rolleyes:

Aug 25, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #7,138 of 48,562
You're right, however, the DT990/32's treble is noticeably less peaky than the 600ohms, despite Zombie's statements. I have used the DT990/600 as my main can longer than I'm sure he has, and I'm very well acquainted with their sound. The 32ohm's treble is easier on the ears by quite a stretch. I honestly think that those who didn't like the DT990/600's treble could probably try and like the 32ohm. But hey, what do I know?
In any case, I spent all of tonight A/B-ing the HE400 and DT990, and the HE-400 just consistently wows me with everything I throw at it. I do love the DT990's, and they are great on their own merits, even if the HE-400 is a definite step above overall. Still, I'm re-adjusting to the DT990's fit on my head and whatnot, and I'm finding them more comfortable than I remember. They really are light as a feather, and I dunno about everyone else, but my ears don't get crunched up against the padding. Some of you must have some dumbo sized ears... :ph34r: When you put the HE400, then go and put the DT990's on... it's quite a contrast in weight and pad comfort. Those DT990 velours should be a sin. They are too damn soft and lovely, lol.
I feel like I can relax with the DT990 more than the HE400, and use them while laying back, etc.
They're just great all rounders for me, with that extra benefit of being energetic and immediately pleasing for my preferred genres. I really am leaning on keeping them.
My KSC35 is about to be sent out to Koss for repair/replacement. I don't hardly ever use them, but I feel naked without them. It's gonna cost me $9 for the ship/handling back to me, not to mention the cost of shipping it to them. That's probably more than the cost of the KSC75! The lifetime warranty sounds good on paper, but for the KSC75, it's probably best to just buy a new pair. However, the KSC35 was $45, so I guess I better take the hit and get them fixed.
That's one thing I hate about these and the 75s... the eventually get driver rattle. It's happened to both my 75 and 35, and on the same driver. I didn't use the KSC35 THAT much, so I'm convinced that this is a widespread occurrence, as I have heard the same of other KSC75 owners.
Oh, damn it! My E17 came yesterday, but I was working, and they wanted signature confirmation. BOO. So now I have to reschedule the delivery or pick them up in nowhereville, which is bullcrap, as there is a post office right next to my apartments. They're doing this on purpose, I swear. Oh well, I can't really use it until Monday anyways, as my two long days are today and tomorrow, where I have literally an hour or two to wind down before I HAVE to sleep. :rolleyes:

How was the burn in with the HE400? Did the sound change all that much? Just finally ordered a pair, wondering what to expect

Aug 25, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #7,139 of 48,562
Quote:
Grymok,
I'm sure MLE could test those receivers and headphones... if you or someone provided them to him for free. Also, MLE stated in his guide that many headphones he listened to didn't rate a gaming review, and that he's not really interested anymore in stepping down in quality (exception, maybe the dt990).

True true :). But if you go the RP-HRT600 thread, some of the guys there, compare them to the Sennheiser HD 650. So they can't be that "bad" as you and MLE thinks :)
they cost 30$ so not much to spend. Most people say they easy beat the AD700 :p

Aug 25, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #7,140 of 48,562
Quote:

That's one thing I hate about these and the 75s... the eventually get driver rattle. It's happened to both my 75 and 35, and on the same driver. I didn't use the KSC35 THAT much, so I'm convinced that this is a widespread occurrence, as I have heard the same of other KSC75 owners.]

I've read that if you send in KSC35s to Koss they replace them with KSC7s, as they are the "newer, updated" model.  Even though they sound 95% the same to me once they have the same clips on, that'd be annoying b/c of the price difference.

As for the driver rattling, that's usually caused by hairs that have fallen inside against the driver.  Just take them apart and clean out the hairs and your good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back