Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 23, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #7,081 of 48,562
Quote:
Alright absolute last question :D

Im down to one of two setups

Q701 + E11 + Astro Mixamp

DT 990 PRO 250OHM + E11 + Astro Mixamp

Q701s come out to about 50-70$ 

Anything to help me choose greatly appreciated thanks again :D

Both the DT990 and Q701 are more immersive than the Sennheisers.  I personally prefer the Q701 to the DT990, and you can read why here > http://www.head-fi.org/t/592630/akg-q701-vs-dt990-600-ohm-comparison-review

The DT990 is just sort of an extreme "flavor" (V-shaped, lots of treble), so just make sure that's what you want before you go for it.  I actually find the Q701 more immersive, as it sounds less exaggerated and more realistic, while still having some fun bass and body like the DT990.  DT990 is sort of like watching a TV with the sharpness and color turned all the way up like they have them in the store (torch mode).

EDIT: I see you said the DT990 PRO.  Haven't heard that, but MLE described the differences on the first page already.

Aug 23, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #7,082 of 48,562
The DT990/32 is better behaved in the treble range. Seriously, I think you'd like it, Chico.

As for the Ax Pros, I'd rather shoot myself on the foot. They're horrible. If you think they're good, try the K701 with the Mixamp.

Aug 23, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #7,083 of 48,562
Quote:
The DT990/32 is better behaved in the treble range. Seriously, I think you'd like it, Chico.
As for the Ax Pros, I'd rather shoot myself on the foot. They're horrible. If you think they're good, try the K701 with the Mixamp.

That's good to hear, although zombie_x might disagree with you
tongue_smile.gif
   -"The 600Ohm model is the definitive version of the DT990 and has the smoothest treble of the DT990 line"

Aug 23, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #7,084 of 48,562
Also curious what you think of your Q701s, and how they compared to whatever you previously had 

Sorry I didn't reply earlier, I was so tired this afternoon I took a nap.
If you're still reading this thread, I do love the Q701s absolutely, but I'm not sure we have the same tastes. I haven't heard any Sennheisers above the PX100, although the HD 202s, believe it or not, were the headphones that got me to thinking about replacing my AD700, which was my main headphone before. I love detail and soundstage in my audio, prize a tight control over emphasized frequencies. My goal in getting the Q701s was to fill in the bass body of the AD700, but only enough to bring the audio production up to realistic sound production, to faithfully present music "how it was intended to be heard." Detail, soundstage, and that "transparency" are fun for me, but I understand how some people like to "turn it up!" and have a good time with a carefully colored sound. I have a pair of V-MODA Crossfade LPs I bought cheap 2nd hand when I feel like rocking out :wink: No 2ndary headphone has gotten any head-time since I got my Q701s though, they are definitely my favorite.

I would also +1 that this class of headphones benefit from an amp better than in PMPs or an E5, I'm exploring an upgrade to buy once I increase my income. The Q701 is certainly loud enough and a better performer than the AD700 even when just powered by the E5, but you can tell its being held back, especially if you plug it into a bigger amp. I would guess at this point that the headphone makes a bigger difference than a different amp, but the difference isn't proportionate to the subjective enjoyment.

Without knowing you, I feel like your feelings about your Sennheisers are the same as I started to feel about my AD700, but for different reasons. Upper-range Sennheisers FWIR have a laid-back house sound, so maybe you would get the "excitement" back if you found headphones with forward mids, or the "V-shaped sound signature" of the Beyers that MLE has been talking about lately. I love my Q's, and I'd say bring your stuff and we'll compare them, but I can't just say online that they're what you're looking for.

Aug 23, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #7,085 of 48,562
Yeah, then he agreed with me that the DT990 Pros treble is less harsh due to more bass, so... yeah. I know what I'm hearing, and the 32ohm's treble hasn't bothered once. The 600ohm has gotten up there plenty of times.

Aug 23, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #7,086 of 48,562
The most accurate comparison I can make is one between the K701 and Q701. The 600ohm DT990 is clearer, and more detailed, due to more control of the bass. The 32ohm's bass isn't AS controlled, and slightly slower, though its still pretty controlled and quick. The details aren't as revealing as the 600ohm, due to the warmer tone. If the treble on the 600ohm bothers you, really do recommend the 32ohm.

I dunno how updated Zombie's guide is, but having so much experience with the 990 as my MAIN can for as long as I have, I can hear the difference. I actually do like the 32ohm the most despite being not being superior in clarity to the 600ohm.

Aug 23, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #7,087 of 48,562
Both the DT990 and Q701 are more immersive than the Sennheisers.  I personally prefer the Q701 to the DT990, and you can read why here > http://www.head-fi.org/t/592630/akg-q701-vs-dt990-600-ohm-comparison-review

The DT990 is just sort of an extreme "flavor" (V-shaped, lots of treble), so just make sure that's what you want before you go for it.  I actually find the Q701 more immersive, as it sounds less exaggerated and more realistic, while still having some fun bass and body like the DT990.  DT990 is sort of like watching a TV with the sharpness and color turned all the way up like they have them in the store (torch mode).

EDIT: I see you said the DT990 PRO.  Haven't heard that, but MLE described the differences on the first page already.

Thanks for posting that comparison Chicolom! I haven't heard any Beyerdynamics, but I agree enthusiastically with what you say about the Q701s, and echo my sentiments about the AD700. I definitely enjoy a more "immersive" experience with the Q's than any other speaker or headphone I've heard in my life, or at least since I started paying attention. It's posts like yours, however, that make me think I shouldn't settle for any amp less than the O2 or M-Stage once I upgrade my amp :wink:

Aug 23, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #7,088 of 48,562
The most accurate comparison I can make is one between the K701 and Q701. The 600ohm DT990 is clearer, and more detailed, due to more control of the bass. The 32ohm's bass isn't AS controlled, and slightly slower, though its still pretty controlled and quick. The details aren't as revealing as the 600ohm, due to the warmer tone. If the treble on the 600ohm bothers you, I really do recommend the 32ohm.

Interesting comparison. Having less mids just gets a no for me, but it's interesting how the warmer (more lush?) sound of the 32 ohm version allows the sound to be more cohesive/balanced for you.

Aug 23, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #7,089 of 48,562
The mids on the 990s, are quite there and are very detailed. They're just not prominent because bass and treble is. The 990's mids are as detailed as the 880s. Thanks to the quick, and controlled bass, they aren't muted or anything. The Q701's mids are obviously more forward because the bass isn't as big as the 990s,and the treble is smoother.

Aug 23, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #7,090 of 48,562
Quote:
Thanks for posting that comparison Chicolom! I haven't heard any Beyerdynamics, but I agree enthusiastically with what you say about the Q701s, and echo my sentiments about the AD700. I definitely enjoy a more "immersive" experience with the Q's than any other speaker or headphone I've heard in my life, or at least since I started paying attention. It's posts like yours, however, that make me think I shouldn't settle for any amp less than the O2 or M-Stage once I upgrade my amp
wink.gif

Q701 FTW! 
beerchug.gif
  Feel free to make yourself at home here > http://www.head-fi.org/t/582276/q701-appreciation-thread

I doubt you would like the DT990s, if the Q701s sound "right" to you.  DT990 is like Q701 with an aggressive "Rock" EQ applied.

If your a fan of them, it's probably worth it to give them a decent amp.  I wouldn't go above $250, but that still gets you the M-stage, ODA (whenever it comes out), and a couple others.

I think they also deserve a DAC for music listening !

Aug 23, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #7,091 of 48,562
I love the Q701, but love the DT990 that much more. How's that for preference, fool? :cool:

They're too different to directly compare them anyways. I know you think the Q701's bass is close to the DT990, but you must be on some really strong stuff to think that. :D

That being said, the Q701 at times does have some nice bass, but it's more comparable to the DT880's bass, not the 990's, and even then, the 880 has more bass.

The strength of the Q701 is just how mellow, and true it is to the music. It has this nice hint of warmth that the K701 was definitely missing.
Still, for pure excitement and wow factor, I'd take the 880s and 990s over the Q701 any day of the week.

I'm gonna be listening to the DT990s over my soundcard to see if the harsh treble comes back.
edit: Nevermind, that was a huge mistake. It was a gob of muffled bass and almost no detail... jesus... what a terrible experience.

All I know is that I was playing DJ Max yesterday on my Vita, and even unamped, the DT990 was warm and engaging, and the treble was not like how I remember the 990/600's. Seriously, no treble fatigue. I'm coming off the HE-400 which is even warmer still, and the DT990 didn't sound trebly next to it. In the old days, when I directly compared the DT990/600 to the D7000, going from one to the other would be shocking in terms of tonal balance. If I listened to the DT990 all day and went to the D7000, the D7000 would sound muffled and much too warm. If I listened to the D7000 all day and went to the DT990/600, the DT990 would sound like pure unadulterated TREBLE. Having done the same with the HE-400 and DT990/32, It wasn't anywhere near that stark of a difference. Sure, the DT990 is brighter, but the treble still didn't shock me even after listening to the HE-400 all day..

Unless I have the best DT990/32 out there, I call BS on the treble being hotter than the DT990/600, no offense to Zombie (who has been very helpful to me through my audiophile life).

Hell, I'm considering sending you this pair of DT990's, so you can see what I'm talking about. The treble is good even on the songs that KILL me with treble. There is zero doubt on my mind that this pair has less treble peaks than all the other DT990s I have used.

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #7,092 of 48,562

Quote:
I'm gonna be listening to the DT990s over my soundcard to see if the harsh treble comes back.
edit: Nevermind, that was a huge mistake. It was a gob of muffled bass and almost no detail... jesus... what a terrible experience

Quote:
Check out my laptop's audio board.    Pretty impressive.
cool.gif
   I wonder if it will drive orthodynamics... 

I don't see what the problem is with onboard sound.
blink.gif

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #7,093 of 48,562
I have a Beats Audio soundcard that came with my HP desktop. Hell, the HE-400 sounds good off it... but the DT990? No wai. I went back to the NFB5, and it was like going from a $50 headphone, to a $200 one.

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #7,094 of 48,562
Quote:
I love the Q701, but love the DT990 that much more. How's that for preference, fool?
cool.gif

They're too different to directly compare them anyways. I know you think the Q701's bass is close to the DT990, but you must be on some really strong stuff to think that.
biggrin.gif

That being said, the Q701 at times does have some nice bass, but it's more comparable to the DT880's bass, not the 990's, and even then, the 880 has more bass.
The strength of the Q701 is just how mellow, and true it is to the music. It has this nice hint of warmth that the K701 was definitely missing.
Still, for pure excitement and wow factor, I'd take the 880s and 990s over the Q701 any day of the week.

I accept that the DT990 has moar bass.  I ACCEPT IT!!!   It's just that I don't care too much.  I mean for me DT990 is like Q701 with bass boosts.  But, as you know I don't think the Q701 needs bass boost.  Sure I turn it on sometimes as a guilty pleasure, but I wouldn't want it to come stuck that way stock. 

DT990 is a bit thumpier, humpier, and slammier.  A Q701 with bass boost sounds as good bass-wise as a stock DT990 too me.  And a DT990 with bass boost - ...NOOoooo
basshead.gif

I think the bass on the headrooms graphs is accurate-ish to how they sound in real life.  Graphs NEVAR LYIIEE!

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #7,095 of 48,562
Quote:
I have a Beats Audio soundcard that came with my HP desktop. Hell, the HE-400 sounds good off it... but the DT990? No wai. I went back to the NFB5, and it was like going from a $50 headphone, to a $200 one.

Beats eh?  
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back