Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 18, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #7,006 of 48,568
I've got he SupremeFX X-Fi sound card http://www.asus.dk/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1366/Rampage_II_Extreme/
So it's somewhat pretty crappy. And sometimes the sound meshes up :S. So maybe gonna get a sound card some day anyways :p
I have looked alittle on the Q701, but i just thinks it's alittle to expensive, if i need and Mixamp or sound card to.
I'm Probaly a Mixamp, but can't decide that either, which one to grab, to which Cans.
The prices in Denmark is somewhat more expensive than US.
The Q701 goes for 250£ and the 770 80 ohm and 990 goes for 120-140£, the HD598 is 160£.
It's pretty hard to choose which combination of setup will suit best :p
Hope the information is good enough :p

Aug 18, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #7,007 of 48,568
This might sound silly but I've never used headphones for gaming before...

How could I attach a mic to my headphones and use them through my xbox controller. Could you include a list of things I would need? The mic would need to be separate or detachable as I'll be using my main headphones Sennheiser HD598s because of their great soundstage. 

Aug 19, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #7,008 of 48,568
Quote:
I've got he SupremeFX X-Fi sound card http://www.asus.dk/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1366/Rampage_II_Extreme/
So it's somewhat pretty crappy. And sometimes the sound meshes up :S. So maybe gonna get a sound card some day anyways :p
I have looked alittle on the Q701, but i just thinks it's alittle to expensive, if i need and Mixamp or sound card to.
I'm Probaly a Mixamp, but can't decide that either, which one to grab, to which Cans.
The Q701 goes for 250£ and the 770 80 ohm and 990 goes for 120-140£, the HD598 is 160£.

The HD598 would be the easiest to drive, followed by the DT770 and 990s (Depending on what ohm version you buy). Unless you're going to be playing on consoles (Xbox 360/PS3) you might want to look up Nameless's PC Gaming guide (found on the top of the first page), as buying a new sound card + Mixamp might be overkill, and your money may be better spent on a soundcard + amp. You might want to also list what games you're going to be playing, single or competitively, and what kind of music you listen to (if you're going to multipurpose the headphones). I play on Xbox & PS3 so I'll kindly defer to other members who are more knowledgeable about PC Gaming. 

yQuote:

This might sound silly but I've never used headphones for gaming before...

How could I attach a mic to my headphones and use them through my xbox controller. Could you include a list of things I would need? The mic would need to be separate or detachable as I'll be using my main headphones Sennheiser HD598s because of their great soundstage. 

You can just plug in a 2.5mm connected mic directly into the controller, but this will not give you surround sound through your headphones. If you wanted SS you'll need to buy a Dolby/THX decoder. I would suggest reading the first post's decoder box & mic sections, then returning here to clarify any remaining questions you might have. Off the bat sounds like you would want to look at the Astro Mixamp pro or 5.8 and an antlion mod mike. 

Aug 19, 2012 at 3:31 AM Post #7,009 of 48,568
The UE 500 has a very enjoyable and crisp sound signature, I'm hoping it works well with the Mixamp, so I can have an IEM to recommend for gaming other than the RE0 (which was very analytical, while the UE500 is fun yet clear, literally like an 880/990 hybrid with less treble peak). The soundstage doesn't give me confidence that it will be decent for DH gaming though.

One thing I noticed is that even though its an IEM and 16ohms, its quite power hungry. My Fuze is pretty powerful as far as unamped devices go, and it needs a lot on it. My NFB5's volume on Low Gain has to go past even some full sized cans (the Pro 900 and D7000 needed less!). O_O

Aug 19, 2012 at 5:29 AM Post #7,010 of 48,568
The HD598 would be the easiest to drive, followed by the DT770 and 990s (Depending on what ohm version you buy). Unless you're going to be playing on consoles (Xbox 360/PS3) you might want to look up Nameless's PC Gaming guide (found on the top of the first page), as buying a new sound card + Mixamp might be overkill, and your money may be better spent on a soundcard + amp. You might want to also list what games you're going to be playing, single or competitively, and what kind of music you listen to (if you're going to multipurpose the headphones). I play on Xbox & PS3 so I'll kindly defer to other members who are more knowledgeable about PC Gaming. 

The phones will only be used for PC gaming, what i know of:)
They will be used for Battlefield 3 mainly:). So mainly FPS.
I listen to Hip Hop, Rap, Dubstep, Hardstyle, Dance, Rock, Heavy Metal and that kind of genre. 
As i have read the Q701 take time to get used to, and still it's not sure you can get used to the kind of comfort.  If i'm gonna sit with a headphone for 3-6 hours in a raw, the comfort have to be in the top.
I have tryed the DT 770 and 990 in out local hifi pusher, and the 5-10 min i tryed them, they was pretty comfy:). And all over the place the HD598 get good review on the comfort, but maybe i'm gonna try those, if possible before i consider them :)

IGM.com refers the Astro mixamp and the HD598 for the possible best gaming solution atm, for FPS and all around:).
But if the Turtle Beach DDS2, can do the work of the astro mixamp, but for 40£ less, sure i will pick that one :p.
Else i should pick a sound card to  make the surround sound work, and then choose a O2 amp from NwAvGuy to drive the phone? :) This little beauty http://epiphany-acoustics.co.uk/our-products/ehp-o2d-miniature-desktop-headphone-amplifier-with-usb-dac/
Thanks for the answers yet :)

Aug 20, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #7,011 of 48,568
current purpose MW3. 360

currently own a pair of Turtle Beach HPA2s, a tritton ax pro decoder box, and an astro mixamp. Right now i'm using the HPA2s w/ the tritton 5.1 decoder box.

my options are 1) buy the hpx-1 adapter to use the HPA2s on the mixamp and rid the problem of double amping ? as i'm happier with using the HPA2's as a 5.1 headset instead of with the mixamp. sound gets bassed up and im just not hearing positioning as well. Is the double amping the reason?

$15 shipping from TB on a $10 cable. please

2) Keep using the HPA2s on the tritton ax pro decoder box.

3) Take those $30 and just get an ad700 and pair that w/ the astromixamp because I want to take envys advice on how DH is just that much better than 5.1 .

No clue on  how much better things can be as I want an upgrade for gaming and possibly headphones for more on the vocal side w/ lacking bass. bass is not my thing

What option should i take and any locals in the Orlando area sell the ad700 by chance ?

Aug 20, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #7,012 of 48,568
Quote:
current purpose MW3. 360

currently own a pair of Turtle Beach HPA2s, a tritton ax pro decoder box, and an astro mixamp. Right now i'm using the HPA2s w/ the tritton 5.1 decoder box.

my options are 1) buy the hpx-1 adapter to use the HPA2s on the mixamp and rid the problem of double amping ? as i'm happier with using the HPA2's as a 5.1 headset instead of with the mixamp. sound gets bassed up and im just not hearing positioning as well. Is the double amping the reason?

$15 shipping from TB on a $10 cable. please

2) Keep using the HPA2s on the tritton ax pro decoder box.

3) Take those $30 and just get an ad700 and pair that w/ the astromixamp because I want to take envys advice on how DH is just that much better than 5.1 .

No clue on  how much better things can be as I want an upgrade for gaming and possibly headphones for more on the vocal side w/ lacking bass. bass is not my thing

What option should i take and any locals in the Orlando area sell the ad700 by chance ?

I've used the HPX with the mixamp.  I just think the positioning isn't all that great with that set.  I couldn't  tell where sounds are coming from all that well.  I doubt eliminating double amping will help any.  Personally, I would sell them and get some other headphones.

AD700 has great positioning, but no bass.  I no you said bass isn't your thing, but AD700 has tin-can bass.  You could try a Sennheiser HD5x8 or maybe Samson SR850. 

Aug 20, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #7,013 of 48,568
Someone else from Orlando? Coolz

So, I played a few rounds of BLOPS with my UE 500. Sadly, it didn't sound right. I didn't expect it to. IEMs just don't generally pair up with the Mixamp. The UE 500 is pretty insensitive for an IEM, so it wasn't any more hissy than the HE400. Still, the sound was off. the gunshots were fatiguing, positioning and soundstage were bad, and certain sound effects were muffled. It's weird. The UE500 has a very crisp sound signature when listening to music and whatnot, but I guess since DH is slightly bass emphasized, it didn't match up. Oh well. I didn't buy it for that purpose anyways. I love the UE 500 for music and portable gaming.

---

Impulse purchase... the DT990/32 AND E17 are on their way. :ph34r:

The DT990/32 may get it's own listing, if it's different enough from the 600ohm, though going off my friend's impressions on ohm differences, I don't expect a major change in either fun factor, positioning, or overall sound quality. Let me clarify one thing. I chose the 32ohm, because I have already tested the 600ohm twice, the 250ohm (with the Pros), and wanted something that the E17 could EASILY handle.

---

I believe I'll be giving the HE400 a score of:

Fun: 9
Competitive: 7

The rear positional cues are about as good as the HE-4, which is slightly (just slightly better than the DT880 in that regard). Meaning, they do their job, but aren't GREAT for pure positioning. They certainly can't pick up positional cues like the Q701, AD700, DT770, 990s. However, the sound quality and fun factor are off the charts. I'd give the fun factor a perfect score, but because they're not OVERLY bassy, rather being bass abundant (not obtrusive), others may find that if bass = fun, then the fun score shouldn't be so high. So a 9 seems fitting to me.

I still need more testing (need GAMES!) to be absolutely certain.

Aug 21, 2012 at 2:35 AM Post #7,014 of 48,568
Quote:
The phones will only be used for PC gaming, what i know of:)
They will be used for Battlefield 3 mainly:). So mainly FPS.
I listen to Hip Hop, Rap, Dubstep, Hardstyle, Dance, Rock, Heavy Metal and that kind of genre. 
As i have read the Q701 take time to get used to, and still it's not sure you can get used to the kind of comfort.  If i'm gonna sit with a headphone for 3-6 hours in a raw, the comfort have to be in the top.
I have tryed the DT 770 and 990 in out local hifi pusher, and the 5-10 min i tryed them, they was pretty comfy:). And all over the place the HD598 get good review on the comfort, but maybe i'm gonna try those, if possible before i consider them :)

IGM.com refers the Astro mixamp and the HD598 for the possible best gaming solution atm, for FPS and all around:).
But if the Turtle Beach DDS2, can do the work of the astro mixamp, but for 40£ less, sure i will pick that one :p.
Else i should pick a sound card to  make the surround sound work, and then choose a O2 amp from NwAvGuy to drive the phone? :) This little beauty http://epiphany-acoustics.co.uk/our-products/ehp-o2d-miniature-desktop-headphone-amplifier-with-usb-dac/
Thanks for the answers yet :)

I'm not too sure how the O2/ODAC combo works but you might want to confirm with epiphany that you can use the O2 as a standalone. I haven't heard a mixamp signal reprocessed through another DAC, but it might negatively effect SQ. Considering your taste in music I can highly recommend the Beyers as they'll preform well with those genres of music. Trying them out is a great idea if the option is open to you. 
Honestly there have been complaints on the comfort of the Qs (I could see this if you have a shaved head or are bald), but I can wear them hours on end without any discomfort... however the 990s are more comfortable, as the pads are like little pillows. 
As for the DSS, remember that the new version is a simulated 4 channel output.... I have no idea how changes the sound. If you feel comfortable taking a gamble/going through the trouble of selling it if your not satisfied, then go for it. Its much cheaper than the mixamp, and you wont need the voice function. 
Quote:

I've used the HPX with the mixamp.  I just think the positioning isn't all that great with that set.  I couldn't  tell where sounds are coming from all that well.  I doubt eliminating double amping will help any.  Personally, I would sell them and get some other headphones.

AD700 has great positioning, but no bass.  I no you said bass isn't your thing, but AD700 has tin-can bass.  You could try a Sennheiser HD5x8 or maybe Samson SR850. 

+1. For the most part I'd stay far far away from any "gaming company" headphones. There are exceptions, but it seems like these are few and far between. Another headphone you might want to consider is the Superlux HD688B http://www.amazon.com/Superlux-HD668B-Dynamic-Semi-Open-Headphones/dp/B003JOETX8/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1345529696&sr=1-2 . Apparently they have a pretty good soundstage (semi-open design) but are plagued by shrill highs. The DD should tame the highs and bring a little more bass into the mix. Heck, at $50 I'm considering buying a pair. 
Quote:
Impulse purchase... the DT990/32 AND E17 are on their way.
ph34r.gif

The DT990/32 may get it's own listing, if it's different enough from the 600ohm, though going off my friend's impressions on ohm differences, I don't expect a major change in either fun factor, positioning, or overall sound quality. Let me clarify one thing. I chose the 32ohm, because I have already tested the 600ohm twice, the 250ohm (with the Pros), and wanted something that the E17 could EASILY handle.

I still need more testing (need GAMES!) to be absolutely certain.

Damn MLE that's an "impulse purchase"
blink.gif
? I hate to see an "intended purchase" 
tongue_smile.gif
. I just ordered an AT-HA26D from Amazon.co.jp... bro's inlaws are coming, and I asked if it was cool to have them bring it over. Will be a few weeks before I see/hear it but it seems like i cant wait for the ODA any longer...I need to hear these things DACed/Amped. 

Been playing more BF3 while waiting for D3 patches to come out. Hmmm... Q701s/Mixamp not making quite the difference I thought it would, they did save my butt once though, so at least I know its helping. Seems like the added effects like Suppression hinder positioning (as well they should) so it doesn't seem like BF3's a good test bench for comparing HPs. On another note the Labtec is LOUD, my friends told me to "take the mic out of your mouth". Apparently you don't need it nearly as close as the AX720 mic..

Aug 21, 2012 at 3:24 AM Post #7,015 of 48,568
Quote:

If that audio card has a genuine x-fi chip I don't think you would even need the mix amp.  

Aug 21, 2012 at 3:46 AM Post #7,016 of 48,568
DEKIMA****A!

HE-400

Before I start, let me clarify something: This impression is of the HE-400 using the Hifiman velour pads, instead of the stock pleather pads. The Hifiman velours can be bought from Head-Direct for $10. Why the velour? It has been clearly documented, that the velour pads give the HE-400 a cleaner, more refined sound, with absolutely zero trade offs. The bass remains the same, the mids are pushed up, and treble is better fleshed out (the pleather pads give the HE-400 some pesky and uneven treble peaks). It has also been tested by many of us on Head-fi, myself included. The clarity is noticeably improved, as well as lifting the slight veil and darkness that the pleather pads have. Can't forget that velour is MUCH better than pleather in comfort, IMHO. No more sweaty, sticky pleather touching the skin. You all know how I feel about pleather.

Well, what a journey it's been to find that one headphone with a sound that I'd consider borderline perfect. The HE-400 is seriously so enjoyable with everything I throw at it, that I couldn't find an absolute fault in it's inherent sound signature, quality of sound, etc. There is one exception, which I'll explain later on. Now the breakdown:

Bass: This is what I'd consider the most natural sounding bass in terms of quantity and quality that I've heard. Is it bass light? No. Is it bass heavy? No. So what IS the bass? Well, the bass is just what it is... BASS. When a song asks for lots of bass, the HE-400 surely does not disappoint. It is NOT an aggressive bass like most bass heavy headphones that tend to impart bass to things that shouldn't have bass. For example: The D7000 (which has my fave bass presence in a headphone), still tends to sound bass heavy on bass light recordings. The HE-400 only adds bass if it's there to begin with. In reality, you can say that the bass IS emphasized, because bass neutral cans don't tend to have the power and impact that the HE400's bass has. So let's call it mildly bass emphasized, but just absolutely lovely in any which way. You put a bassy song, and you'll never think to yourself "Hmm, this could use more bass". It's that good. This is the type of bass that bassheads looking for actual quality can appreciate. I'd put the actual quantity between the DT880 and DT990. Like the HE-4. The quality of the bass isn't as clean as the Pro 2900 and Q701, but it's easily fuller sounding, and more realistic.

Mids: Very natural sounding mids. Personally, I wouldn't say they're forward, or recessed. They're well balanced mids. With certain recordings, the mids are right where they need to be, and with other recordings, the mids are intimate and hauntingly realistic. Female vocals are an exceptional strength in the HE-400. The mids are also not hindered by either the bass or treble.

Treble: This is what I was most skeptical about when I read up on the HE-400. Many times I have read that the treble was too dark, too smooth, and lacking air. The previous HE-400 may have actually had that issue, but the current batches do not have this issue. The stock HE-400 with pleather has a tendency to be smooth in certain ranges of the treble, and peaky on others. Uneven treble that can be dark or bright. The velour pads lets the treble behave in a more uniform manner, being neither dark or bright to my ears. They sound crisp enough and sparkly, but never sibilant. This is personally right where I'd love my treble to be on all headphones. I wouldn't mind more treble in headphones, but never less treble. Spot on, really.

Soundstage: I'm not a soundstage nut when it comes to non-gaming purposes, and I find the HE-400's soundstage to be medium sized. Not small, and not big. I guess those used to something like the Q701's soundstage may feel the loss of sheer size, but I don't have a problem with it whatsoever. To me, what is lost, is gained everywhere else. The HE-400 sounds less like a headphone, and more like two speakers strapped to the side of your head. Literally haven't heard anything like it. It's airy, and sounds are place all around you, and less next to your ears like standard headphones. THAT being said, I must say that I don't find the HE-400's soundstage paired up with Dolby Headphone to be great. It's good, but not GREAT. More about this on the next paragraph...

Positioning:
How did the HE-400 fare for gaming? Well... it did good. About as good as the HE-4 in terms of positioning. They both are just SLIGHTLY better than the DT880 in terms of positional cues, which is to say, they could do better, but will do their job. Certainly not going to compete with the AD700, Q701, K701, DT990, DT770 Pros, D7000, etc. So if you're looking for an amazing, fun, and competitive headphone, the HE-400 is a safe bet, though slightly lagging behind in terms of raw positioning.

Amping:
The HE-400 is unlike the HE-4, in that it doesn't require the power of Zeus to get it to sing well. A portable amp will make them sound great. A desktop amp would be even better. How did it do with the Mixamp? Well, I'd put them as being capable of being driven by the Mixamp IF you don't use voice chat. If you do, you WILL need an external amp, just like the Beyers, Q701/K701s. Depending on the game, the Mixamp can drive the HE-400 just fine alone, or have to be nearly maxed just to get a moderately loud volume. Playing Mass Effect 3, I had to literally max the volume out. So yes, you may want some amp on hand just to be safe. Still, they sound fantastic off the Mixamp, and I didn't feel it was lacking in dynamics, fullness, etc.

Comfort: Like the HE-4, I find them very comfortable. The stock pleather pads are actually pretty good for comfort, as they aren't going to cover your face in pleather, though they still get hot and sticky. The velours however are just the right amount of firm/softness and plenty breathable. You will notice that the HE-400 IS a pretty heavy headphone. Literally the heaviest headphone I've owned. It's a tank. However, due to the headband design (my favorite outside of the Steelseries Siberia), the weight gets evenly distributed, so it doesn't dig into your skull. I don't have a problem wearing the HE-400 all day. This is more than I can say about pretty much every other headphone I have used, with some exceptions. Oh yes, the pads don't have that rough, glue substance on the edges of the inner lining that bothered me with the HE-4 pads, which is a welcome change.

Final impressions:
The HE-400 is absolutely a must have if you're less of a competitive gamer, and more of a fun gamer. The sound quality of the HE-400 is second to none on my list. I'd rate the overall SQ to be absolutely god tier. Better balanced, and fuller sounding than anything else on this guide, with absolutely nothing missing in it's sound signature. Other cans have more immediate fun factor (D7000, Pro 900), but long-term, the HE400 bests those as it blends ALL frequencies together to form an amazing, cohesive sound with no glaring faults to it's signature. Usually, there is always something missing or hurtful, whether it's mids being recessed (Pro 900), treble being too edgy (DT990), bass not being impactful enough (Pro 2900, Q701), etc. The HE-400 lacks nothing in those regards. If I could compare it to anything, I'd personally compare it to the Sennheiser PC360 on steroids. I mentioned that the PC360 was a jack of all trades, but a master of none. Being good at everything, but not really being exciting (somewhat boring at times), or being particularly full sounding. Well, the HE-400 is well balanced, EXCITING, natural/full sounding, and an absolutely thrill to listen to. They're also highly detailed. For such a full sounding headphone, they can still REALLY analyze the source well, to the point where I thought my HE-400 was messed up. I then realized it was the files I was listening to that were less than perfect. That's how revealing they can be.

The detail, and clarity were absolute master class, but positioning isn't the best. They will do just fine overall. Positioning aside, the HE-400 impresses on pretty much ALL other fronts, that those looking for an endgame headphone shouldn't pass these up. IMHO, they best everything I have ever used in sheer sound quality, including the HE-4 (which has recessed mids and harsh treble in comparison). The D7000 is the only headphone I'd say is on an even level, and yet the HE-400 is better balanced, more realistic, and fuller sounding. For $400, the HE-400 is an absolute steal.

Fun: 9/10

Competitive: 7/10

Comfort: 9/10

Aug 21, 2012 at 5:09 AM Post #7,017 of 48,568
Quote:
Another headphone you might want to consider is the Superlux HD688B http://www.amazon.com/Superlux-HD668B-Dynamic-Semi-Open-Headphones/dp/B003JOETX8/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1345529696&sr=1-2 . Apparently they have a pretty good soundstage (semi-open design) but are plagued by shrill highs. The DD should tame the highs and bring a little more bass into the mix. Heck, at $50 I'm considering buying a pair.

FYI the Superlux HD668B and Samson SR850 are essentially the same headphone.  One is a clone of the other, not sure which.

Aug 21, 2012 at 8:17 AM Post #7,018 of 48,568
Also the superlux HD660 is another good choice, a friend of mine got it after I suggested it to him for his first non gaming marketed headphones and fell in love with them.

Aug 21, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #7,019 of 48,568
Lol @ "... require the power of Zeus to get it to sing well."

Well, despite liking my Yamaha's silent cinema for the 30 minutes I got to use it before I had to pack it away, I bought Creative's Recon3D USB sound card. I noticed yesterday that it's on sale at J&R Music & Computer World (thru Amazon) for just $69 shipped (price ends 8/26), and after sleeping on it (and getting refunded for a speeding ticket) I took a chance that the negative reviews are anomalous. It seemed that most of the negative reviews weren't using headphones, and possibly not setting it up correctly. The one well-considered negative review said that it wasn't worth it with his Xbox, but then he states that he doesn't play FPS games, had trouble figuring out why nothing happened when he didn't have his optical wire connected, and in general panned all binaural headphone technologies. His wireless headphones may have been a factor as well.

For those that haven't heard of it, Creative's Sound Blaster Recon3D USB is an external sound card for Windows, Mac, PS3, and Xbox 360. It basically does everything the Mixamp does for Xbox or PS3, but it also has Voice Crystalizer chat processing and can fully offload audio duties for a computer as a sound card and DAC/Amp. It's also the only native Mac OS X sound card under $1000 that I've seen.

I can't compare it side-by-side to the Mixamp for sound quality, but I intend to write a review on it this weekend. I'll also wrap up my Q701 review, and perhaps include a few notes about subjective comparisons with AD700 headphones and Silent Cinema virtual surround from my Yamaha. No promises on that last part though, I ain't got no privacy (part of why I love headphones and why I'm getting the Recon3D).

Edit: actually, the Recon3D probably won't arrive till the coming Monday, so unless it ships early I won't have a review ready this weekend. Oh, and I will put my reviews in their own threads/posts so I don't hijack this one, but I will share a link for those interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back