Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jun 19, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #5,836 of 48,562
Quote:
Would PC 360s work well on that cheap Xonar DG soundcard?

Yes, the Xonar DG (& DGX) can easily work with 50-Ohm (PC360) headphones.
The DG & DGX can work well with headphones up to around 150-Ohm, and half-way decently with 250-Ohm.

Jun 19, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #5,837 of 48,562
Quote:
It's kind of strange. My system's played along nicely with the X-Fi Titanium HD, no driver issues...and yet reports of Creative driver issues are not uncommon.

Meanwhile, the others aren't immune either. Asus driver issues led someone to make these "Unified" drivers. Realtek has had their fair share of complaints too. About the only ones whose drivers I haven't heard complaints about are HT Omega (who just use stock C-Media drivers, and whose cards are still pretty obscure).

Is there some sort of curse where all sound device drivers have to suck for someone, somewhere, for inexplicable reasons?

I've had on and off problems with my X-fi's drivers.  The latest one is that sometimes after waking up my computer the sound level is really low for some reason.

Having a second audio device for music listening solves so many issues with the X-Fi.  

Jun 19, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #5,839 of 48,562
Sadly no. I'd love to try them at some point in the future. Not too worried about it though. If they're like the Pro 2900 with more bass, and probably less soundstage... I think they'd be likable for me. Not sure about losing more mids though, as the Pro 2900 has some pretty recessed mids as is.

Jun 19, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #5,840 of 48,562
Okay. Update! So I'm still waiting on my 2 amps but like in 2 days I got my ant lion mic and the AKG Q701. I'm just using them plugged into the head phone jack on my computer at the moment. Now I know it is like at 30% of it's true potiential not amped... but DAMN! Adelle - Fire to the Rain sounds amazing in these so far!

Jun 20, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #5,841 of 48,562
Also another question, has anyone tried the asus phoebus yet? It's pretty damn expensive when compared to the x-fi titanium hd and apparently there are lots of issues with games. But was wondering if someone can compared them to the x-fi titanium hd.

Jun 20, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #5,842 of 48,562
Quote:
Also another question, has anyone tried the Asus Phoebus yet? It's pretty damn expensive when compared to the X-fi Titanium HD and apparently there are lots of issues with games. But was wondering if someone can compared them to the X-fi Titanium HD.

I would say hold off from buying the Phoebus right now, it might drop in price around Sept. Oct. Nov.
Give Asus more time to improve the drivers
Nothing wrong with getting the Titanium HD.
The advantage of the Phoebus is it's going to be better for headphones in the 250-ohm to 600-Ohm range.
What headphones so you use?

Jun 20, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #5,843 of 48,562
Any one here used the A900x for gaming, I planning on moving back to closed back headphones because its not quiet in this apt complex and loud police and fire sirens from being 2 mins from a hospital get old. Plus  velvet on my DT880 pro started to hurt my ears.Only reasons I looking at the A900X because it suppose to be simlar to sound signature to my DT880 pro-250. I know the A900x use pleather, but that type of padding doesn't hurt my ears.

Quote:
Also another question, has anyone tried the asus phoebus yet? It's pretty damn expensive when compared to the x-fi titanium hd and apparently there are lots of issues with games. But was wondering if someone can compared them to the x-fi titanium hd.

The main thing is the X-FI titanium HD has op-amps that can be removed and replaced with other op-amps. Wheres the phoebus doesn't, so you will be stuck with what ever generic op-amp or op-amps that they have on the phoebus. The X-FI HD PCI-E doesn't have a headphone amp, just a headphone buffer. It can not drive low ohm headphones like AKG 70# that benefits from a amp, with its headphone buffer chip. So the phoebus only benefits is it headphone amp chip. Or if you perfer to use DHT4 headphone setting over Cmss3D headphone.

If you already have a X-Fi HD Pci-e and if you have headphones that benefit from being ampped and if you use CMSS3D headphone. Then you can use a external Amp and plugged the card into the RCA outputs on the X-FI HD PCi-E. That way you get the power you need for your headphones that need it while still having the option of using CMSS3D headphone. As the Headphone setting also output sound Thu the RCA output's on the card.

Jun 20, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #5,844 of 48,562
Quote:
What is the make and model of the Z77 motherboard?
The THX TruStudio itself might (maybe?) support pre-processed surround sound thru the optical port, which means you would plug in the Mix-amp and us it as a 2-channel headphone amplifier.
What headphones are you using?
The X-Fi should not be able to route thru the motherboard digital optical output.
With the Asus Xonar DG (or DGX), you would not even need to use the Mix-amp.
I'm not qualified to answer on the G35/G930 question.

I have the ASRock Z77 Extreme 4. Thanks for the great responses!

If I do need a Asus Xonar... is it worth getting something "better" than that card? I mostly game and am looking for quality surround sound. 

I'm actually in the market for a quality pair of headphones. I'm trying to see what others in this thread recommend in that regard, and I'll be purchasing them very shortly. The AKG Q701s currently have my eye... or ear.

Slightly off-topic from my original post... but are any of these top $200-300 headphones 'good' for laying in? I used to own a pair of Sennheisers that were great for gaming, but also allowed me to lay on a pillow with, watching HD movies. Strange question, yes :p

Jun 20, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #5,845 of 48,562
I think the Senns may be the perfect lay down headphones due to the angled cups. The more rounded headphones might not be as comfortable. Though I am not totally sure as I use my KSC75s for bed chillin time.

Jun 20, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #5,846 of 48,562
Quote:
I have the ASRock Z77 Extreme 4. Thanks for the great responses!
If I do need a Asus Xonar... is it worth getting something "better" than that card? I mostly game and am looking for quality surround sound. 
I'm actually in the market for a quality pair of headphones. I'm trying to see what others in this thread recommend in that regard, and I'll be purchasing them very shortly. The AKG Q701s currently have my eye... or ear.

Slightly off-topic from my original post... but are any of these top $200-300 headphones 'good' for laying in? I used to own a pair of Sennheisers that were great for gaming, but also allowed me to lay on a pillow with, watching HD movies. Strange question, yes :p

The motherboard is using Realtek ALC898 audio chip, with some Creative labs Trueaudio software.
I really have no idea on how good it is?
or how well the on-board audio will drive the Q701s.
But usually on-board DACs are of the lower cost type.

You could just buy a Creative Titanium HD ($140) or Asus Xonar Essence STX ($164) and just bypass all the on-board audio.
Not sure on how well the Titanium HD will drive the Q701s (might? need an external add-on amplifier)
Or get the Asus Xonar DX or D1 (used $55) sound card and a nice external headphone amplifier that can make your Q701 really sing.

Or just plug an external headphone amplifier straight into the motherboard's headphone output (green).

What model Sennheiser are they?

Jun 20, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #5,847 of 48,562
Quote:
The motherboard is using Realtek ALC898 audio chip, with some Creative labs Trueaudio software.
I really have no idea on how good it is?
or how well the on-board audio will drive the Q701s.
But usually on-board DACs are of the lower cost type.

You could just buy a Creative Titanium HD ($140) or Asus Xonar Essence STX ($164) and just bypass all the on-board audio.
Not sure on how well the Titanium HD will drive the Q701s (might? need an external add-on amplifier)
Or get the Asus Xonar DX or D1 (used $55) sound card and a nice external headphone amplifier that can make your Q701 really sing.

Or just plug an external headphone amplifier straight into the motherboard's headphone output (green).

What model Sennheiser are they?

Before they fell apart after years of use, it was a HD 280 pro. 

One thing I should note is, I already have a Astro MixAmp, if that helps to drive the Q701s? 

My main thing is to get a great pair of headphones that I can use to game in surround sound :) I just want to be sure I take the right approach. I also want to be slightly careful I don't overbuy either :)

Jun 20, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #5,848 of 48,562
Lay down headphones? Definitely some clip ons. KSC75/35 for me. The Senns are good because of their cup design. Big headphones don't really cut it for laying down.

Jun 20, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #5,849 of 48,562
Quote:
Lay down headphones? Definitely some clip ons. KSC75/35 for me. The Senns are good because of their cup design. Big headphones don't really cut it for laying down.

Maybe I should experiment between the KSCs (which I already need for work/lifting), the 598s and the Q701s.

On another note... the Q701s are $240 on Amazon.com, is that a sale? Other sites and the MSRP show it at $400

Jun 20, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #5,850 of 48,562
Quote:
Before they fell apart after years of use, it was a HD 280 pro. 

One thing I should note is, I already have a Astro MixAmp, if that helps to drive the Q701s? 

My main thing is to get a great pair of headphones that I can use to game in surround sound :) I just want to be sure I take the right approach. I also want to be slightly careful I don't overbuy either :)

The Astro mix-amp. does the same Dolby Virtual Headphone as the Xonar cards.
If the Astro mix-amp. does not power the Q701s, you can all ways plug a headphone amplifier into the Mix-amps headphone output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back