Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 23, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #4,936 of 48,562
Well, my bass preference is towards sub bass, which is more omnipresent, but not as immediately obtrusive as the thunder bass cannons that typical consumers like. I like ambient rumble, not so much the actual thumping. That's why I love the D7000 so much. The low end is incredibly powerful, but the actual impact is more or less in line with the mids and treble. So it doesn't pound senselessly your head, but fills the room with some theater like bass, while maintaiing the lovely vocals and sparkle on the top end.

I think this is where headsets need to focus on when it comes to bass. Sub bass is infinitely less obtrusive to the rest of the spectrum compared to mid bass, so they should emphasize that, instead of the actual thump. It's a sort of 'loophole' for bassheads that want clarity everywhere else. Of course, if you just want consitent headpounding, then I guess you can enjoy that obtrusive mid bass, while sacrificing vocals and overall clarity.

Mar 23, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #4,938 of 48,562
ooh, I was actually gonna get Siberia V2's at one point, because some pro gamer said they were the best he had ever used.

If you can compare them to any well known gaming headphones that would be awesome!

Mar 23, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #4,939 of 48,562

Quote:
DT880 by a mile, unless FPS gaming is a priority.
Again guys, talk about that PC related stuff on the PC thread.

Lol the thread was cruising from graphics cards to mountain bikes to god knows what!

Anyway I was slightly confused because in your gaming headphones thread over at AVS you mention the HD598s in the elite range, but there's no talk of any Beyers (at least on the first page) - is that because the Beyers aren't very gaming focused due to heavy bass n stuff when not equalised?

Mar 23, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #4,940 of 48,562

Quote:
I'm willing to bet that the Senns and MMX300 wouldn't be popular because they don't have 'OMG BASS'. Remember, life outside of Head-fi tends to prefer bass emphasis. Typical consumers wouldn't typically like the Senns or the MMX300s (which are apparently bass light as of late).
I like my bass plentiful, though not on a headset.
I can't say I comletely blame ignorance, as if I only had ONE pair of headphones/headset, it'd have to be good for my taste in music too, so bass emphasis would be something I'd go for myself. However, since I can't see myself with just ONE headphone for absolutely everything, I'll pick a balanced headset, and a bassy headphone.

I sorta came from that department but rather it was simply cause I didn't know any better (despite that I already knew that everything should have a balance, not a heavy floodout of so and so), and all the options presented by the Astro A40 set was really nice, and coming from some cheap $2 headphone, I'd welcome the thought of trying a "premium headphone" during that time.

Now though... coming from the Astro A40, and I know this is something you can't answer (maybe?) cause it's my ears but.  Because I'm coming from that, would I be in for a surprise listening to them?  Something like a culture shock you could say?  Would my inexperience (maybe I'm being too hard on myself haha) make it harder for me to enjoy these, could I spot that it's quality headphones?  Or... is it like I'll just know?   It's coming the 2nd week of April.  So looking forward to it.

I admit though that all I have is 320 kbps MP3 files so, based on some user input here in the forum, because of the way these headphones operate the music part might have a funky outcome.  Even though again, music isn't in my list of priorities in a headphone/set

Mar 23, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #4,941 of 48,562
I wouldn't say the difference would wow you per se. It's an improvement going from the A40s to a good pair of open cans like the Senn PC360, due to the REAL open soundstage (the A40s sound closed off even with the tags removed). the sound is more natural, whereas the A40s sound a bit hollow and plasticky. Only your ears can say whether it's a huge leap or not, but I'd say that it was a pretty big difference going from the A40s to the AD700 (albeit with the crappy bass that the AD700s have). the clarity and soundstage opened my ears to a whole new level of auditory enjoyment.

Lets just say that when I had the A40s, I wasn't even a fan of headphones. After listening to the AD700s, something clearly changed, and I became what I am today.

I'm willing to bet I'd enjoy the MMX300 more than the PC360 for music, but the PC360 more for competitive gaming.

Mar 23, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #4,943 of 48,562
Oh, then yes, the difference between the A40 and Q701 is quite jarring, lol.

Mar 24, 2012 at 2:53 AM Post #4,945 of 48,562
Just got my first real use out of my DSS.  Journey just wouldn't sound big enough without it.  Dial the headset's own volume control down just a touch to get rid of the hiss and away I went.  

Mar 24, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #4,946 of 48,562
Hey everybody. Long time reader, first time poster here.

Been reading through this thread any chance I get, especially during lunch breaks, great stuff all around. I'm about half way done thus far :)

A handful of you have been talking about using the Astro Mixamp 5.8 in your setup and what a difference its making. This is awesome, invaluable information to get a competitive edge over others paired with a great stereo headset. I do game a lot on Xbox with MW3 and I didn't just wanna throw my hard earned money on any headset that plastered "GAMING PRO AUDIO HEADSET KILL NOOBS WITH YOUR EYES CLOSED blah blah blah" jargon without reading reviews and user opinions so this community and thread (thanks Mad Lust Envy!) is great.

I've decided to buy the Wireless 5.8 Mixamp but as fate would have it, AstroGaming stopped selling them in the US. I can't believe that I live in the NYC area and no one on Craigslist (or eBay) is selling just the Mixamp. They really have become a hot commodity at this point.

Does anyone have any advice where to buy them or is there anyone that wants to sell them? I've checked the Sale Boards and still no dice...

Thanks everyone!

Mar 24, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #4,947 of 48,562
The Mixamp Pro is better than the 5.8 (less hiss, more inputs), but it isn't wireless. Unless wireless is a necessity, the Pro is the best choice.

Mar 24, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #4,948 of 48,562

Quote:
Well, my bass preference is towards sub bass, which is more omnipresent, but not as immediately obtrusive as the thunder bass cannons that typical consumers like. I like ambient rumble, not so much the actual thumping. That's why I love the D7000 so much. The low end is incredibly powerful, but the actual impact is more or less in line with the mids and treble. So it doesn't pound senselessly your head, but fills the room with some theater like bass, while maintaiing the lovely vocals and sparkle on the top end.
I think this is where headsets need to focus on when it comes to bass. Sub bass is infinitely less obtrusive to the rest of the spectrum compared to mid bass, so they should emphasize that, instead of the actual thump. It's a sort of 'loophole' for bassheads that want clarity everywhere else. Of course, if you just want consitent headpounding, then I guess you can enjoy that obtrusive mid bass, while sacrificing vocals and overall clarity.

And I thought most of the emphasis on consumer equipment was on the sub-bass frequencies, like 20/30 Hz...then again, most consumer audio equipment probably isn't good enough to reach that low with authority. (Though I am surprised that the cheap Panasonic RP-HTF600 can hit 30 Hz and still be quite audible without EQ...most headphones can't.)

Now I'd have to try and sample some D7000s to get an idea of what you're talking about...too bad I can't afford them.

What I'm wondering, though, is if it's possible to get that sort of sound using nothing more than a good EQ on most quality headphones, since a lot of debate between headphone models boils down to sound signature preferences.

Mar 25, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #4,949 of 48,562
Hey Envy, I'm curious as to whether you've tried gaming on the XBOX 360 with the A40 + MixAmp 5.8 combination? From the reviews I can find around here, the A40s come off as 'hollow' but is that with or without the mixamp?

I'm purchasing a headset for use on the xbox and I was dead set on buying the PC360 + 5.8 combo but as tecz0r said, the mixamp is only available when bundled and I'm looking to replace these horrid turtle beaches asap, but I don't want to dive into the A40+5.8 bundle if it sounds horrid even with the mixamp.

Mar 25, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #4,950 of 48,562

Quote:
The Mixamp Pro is better than the 5.8 (less hiss, more inputs), but it isn't wireless. Unless wireless is a necessity, the Pro is the best choice.

Oh I would absolutely jump on the Pro version in a heartbeat but unfortunately, my living room has a lot of foot traffic. The vision of someone tripping whilst pulling my Xbox and Mixamp to the ground is a very real one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back