Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 21, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #4,891 of 48,568

Quote:

Otherwise, I don't see myself spending hundreds of dollars on sound cards just to test them, then selling off the ones I don't like at a loss. It's why I haven't tested the Recon3D cards already.

Ugh, to think Creative had the stones to release a card that's both overpriced and underperforming when compared to their previous offering, it's appaling. The single reason why Recon3D cards have their current pricing is due to the "new" factor, when in fact a regular X-Fi Titanium (not talking about the Titanium HD) costs 2-3 times less and outperforms it in just about all scenarios.

Mar 21, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #4,892 of 48,568
Quote:

So the CMSS is from a cheap x-fi sound card and the e17 is via USB right? I may go this route but I feel a bit gimped sacrificing the expensive DAC circuitry on my Forte :frowning2:
Also regarding the amping power of the e17, any ideas how it would go if i used a lesser fiio amp with no DAC, like the lowly e6 or e11?

At the current moment I'm running the E17 off my TOSLINK out from the Creative card. My previous offbrand USB soundcard didn't have any kind of an optical in so that's why I came up with the USB hack. Honestly 75% of my audio output is HDMI to the Onkyo and then headphone out to the E17... I'm lazy like that.

Mar 21, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #4,893 of 48,568

Quote:
Ugh, to think Creative had the stones to release a card that's both overpriced and underperforming when compared to their previous offering, it's appaling. The single reason why Recon3D cards have their current pricing is due to the "new" factor, when in fact a regular X-Fi Titanium (not talking about the Titanium HD) costs 2-3 times less and outperforms it in just about all scenarios.

So I've heard, but I want to prove it beyond all doubt beyond testing it myself. I just don't want to spend $100+ to do so.

Unfortunately, Creative is known for just buying out the competition and having rather deceptive market practices. Too bad they're the ones with all the good PC gaming audio tech in their iron grasp.

Mar 21, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #4,894 of 48,568

Quote:

So I've heard, but I want to prove it beyond all doubt beyond testing it myself. I just don't want to spend $100+ to do so.

Unfortunately, Creative is known for just buying out the competition and having rather deceptive market practices. Too bad they're the ones with all the good PC gaming audio tech in their iron grasp.

What many people that are more gamers and less audiophiles don't realize, is that the present iteration of SoundCore 3D was never meant to be released for general desktop and laptop computers. Creative did so in hopes the SoundCore chip gets enough traction and popularity in order to start being used on mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets, which is why the computationally heavy tasks like OpenAL and in-game EAX effects are done in software while regular features such as multimedia EAX, THX effects and digital formats support is done in hardware. This new crop of cards is born to be used on mobile devices, but it's the computer users who suffer as guinea pigs from it.

What's really needed is a new generation of cards (the long lost expected X-Fi 2) that uses the Titanium HD as a base to work from and improve on that.

Considering the tight grasp Creative holds on the proprietary gaming techs, it makes one wonder if Auzentech made compromises or paid a hefty sum in order to have access to both a full blown X-Fi DSP and unlocked software as well.

Mar 21, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #4,896 of 48,568

Quote:
What would an X-Fi 2 do that the current X-fi can't?

I can't exactly predict what a (hopefully) future product might feature, but there were talks at the time of a redesigned X-Fi DSP that automatically cached audio data, as well as improved positional algorithms. But since this awful onboard audio chip disguised as soundcard was released, it will probably take at least a year if not more, to see something actually good come out from Creative. Good thing that there are still plenty of X-Fi DSPs around on real soundcards.

Mar 21, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #4,897 of 48,568
You get CMSS3D and support for EAX 5 games (Like Bioshock).

I didn't much care for BC2 out of my Xonar DX, but BF3 sounds fantastic and I do not miss my X-Fi based Forte @ all. Further, I didn't notice a difference between an STX and a DX. I'm willing to bet a DG would be fine too. So in my incredibly biased opinion, get a $30 sound card and spend the rest on cans/amp. At least that's where I noticed the biggest sound quality changes!

Mar 21, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #4,898 of 48,568
You realize we are talking about an unreleased product right? CMSS3D exists since Audigy cards and EAX 5 appeared with the first gen X-Fi cards.

What I find amusing is that the lowest current X-Fi card can outclass an Essence STX for gaming purposes lol.

Mar 21, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #4,899 of 48,568
In what way? CMSS3D destroys sound quality and EAX 5.0 is used in what new games? Positioning in BF3 is top notch on a Xonar.

I suppose if sound quality is no concern, then the X-Fi might be the better choice. But I think that's 5% of the people reading this thread, no?

Mar 21, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #4,900 of 48,568
Apparently you don't know what you're talking about.

First, CMSS3D is a Creative feature, not present on Asus cards. Second, it's amusing to see that positioning in BF3 is top notch on an unknown Asus Xonar card, because from your point of view they must all sound the same. If you don't know the differences a X-Fi DSP does, then good for you, but gaming certainly benefits from one.

This is a gaming thread, but if you're talking about SQ, good luck on having any (internal) Asus Xonar card outclass a Titanium HD.

Mar 21, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #4,901 of 48,568
You guys should really be talking about this on the PC thread (linked on first page).

Mar 22, 2012 at 3:20 AM Post #4,902 of 48,568

Quote:
Apparently you don't know what you're talking about.

First, CMSS3D is a Creative feature, not present on Asus cards. Second, it's amusing to see that positioning in BF3 is top notch on an unknown Asus Xonar card, because from your point of view they must all sound the same. If you don't know the differences a X-Fi DSP does, then good for you, but gaming certainly benefits from one.

This is a gaming thread, but if you're talking about SQ, good luck on having any (internal) Asus Xonar card outclass a Titanium HD.

I'm aware it's a Creative only feature. The DX...unknown? I had the original X-Fi, the Fatal1ty, the Elite Pro, and a Forte. I'm well aware of how it sounds in say...Bioshock. Or when using CMSS3D w/ MacroFX and Elevation filter set to on in BC2/BF3. It's pretty darn good, but the sound quality takes a major dive IMO.

I wouldn't mind testing the Titanium HD. Have you heard the STX? How do they compare? I'm a bit reluctant to go back to Creative due to their clunky control panel. IMO, the Asus'  much easier to deal w/. I can change everything on one screen wo/ changing modes and waiting...

Mar 22, 2012 at 3:30 AM Post #4,903 of 48,568

Quote:

I'm aware it's a Creative only feature. The DX...unknown? I had the original X-Fi, the Fatal1ty, the Elite Pro, and a Forte. I'm well aware of how it sounds in say...Bioshock. Or when using CMSS3D w/ MacroFX and Elevation filter set to on in BC2/BF3. It's pretty darn good, but the sound quality takes a major dive IMO.

I wouldn't mind testing the Titanium HD. Have you heard the STX? How do they compare? I'm a bit reluctant to go back to Creative due to their clunky control panel. IMO, the Asus'  much easier to deal w/. I can change everything on one screen wo/ changing modes and waiting...

If you weren't using CMSS3D, the sound quality wouldn't take a dive, but then again both CMSS3D and DH do it to the sound, it just feels awfully artificial IMO.

I don't really like the STX sound, too harsh and treble happy for me, while the Titanium HD is more neutral with a gentle warmth to it, and since I prefer warmer over colder/brighter, the choice is easy.

I do understand what you mean about the control panel, but my quarrel with it is more it being bloat rather than unusable. It's no Audigy or SB Live! control panel, but still usable.
About switching modes, ever since both a third party and Creative down the line made available an auto mode switcher, that's not much of a concern, especially if you have the exact settings you like on each mode.

If Creative had the entire feature set configuration available to Creative Audio Control Panel rather than the Console Launcher, I'd be a happy man, as the former is straight to the point without visual fluff while the latter has more eye candy.

Mar 22, 2012 at 3:44 AM Post #4,904 of 48,568
Coming back to console gaming:
I just got me some HD 600s. Am not expecting much from them gaming wise, and it's only been 2 days (thus burn-in may still need to occur), but I want to give them a spin on the MixAmp tonight. Mass Effect 3 single player, here I come. 
I'll report back on any findings.

Mar 22, 2012 at 4:34 AM Post #4,905 of 48,568
After some asking around here and there, I'm getting the Q701 sometime in April.  Here's hoping I get my mind blown away when I receive them.  (Then again I need to ship my PS3, and a new mixamp and my stuff over here while I'm waiting too lol)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back