Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 17, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #4,802 of 48,578
Hell yeah. :) I like your vids. Okay, let's make a thread for vids. XD This one is getting un gaming headphone related.

Mar 17, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #4,804 of 48,578
Don't say that. XP

I made it quickly, since I guess it falls on me. :mad:

Mar 17, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #4,805 of 48,578

Quote:
I see, well thanks for the insight.

I know it might be taboo but I'll still ask anyway.  Any user input on the TB Z6A, after it replaced the HPX?

I guess I'll ask on behalf of my friend about this also.  He's also purchasing some headphones at the price range of $100-$180.  If the TB Z6A turns out to actually be good at that price range ($60 just for the headphones) then he might go with that.

My friend says he's not a competitive person so not much if any at all on competitive shooters.  So just music (Dubstep, K-pop,  J-Pop, rock, electronica, hip hop, dance), MMOs and PC/console games.  If he REALLY had to choose between the two though, he'd put priority over his music.  A headset for the mic would be nice, but I told him with just a little bit of elbow grease he can manually stick a mic on a headphone if it's not a headset.

He also plans on having a Mixamp too.

At that price range I was thinking of a PC360 for him.  Course I don't really know how his ears work lol, so anything goes at this point.

Post bump?!

@MLE: Nice vids btw.  Too bad I gotta keep em at 360p else Philippine internet speeds would take forever to load it =P

Mar 17, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #4,806 of 48,578
Hell, I have a very fast connection, yet Youtube acts as if I have a 28.8k modem. :mad:

Mar 17, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #4,807 of 48,578
Well, I finally took the plunge and got the Denon D2000s (mainly for gaming and movie use). I hooked them up last night to my mixamp whilst thinking: "I hope I'm not going to feel disappointed". I wasn't! I played the first couple of hours of Mass Effect 3 and even straight out of the box I was impressed - the sound was very immersive, exactly what I was hoping for. Hopefully they'll get even better after some burn-in.The DH effect also seems great, sounds seem to come seamlessly from 360 degrees with good positional cues.

Anyway, thanks for all the feedback I got and for this thread in general
o2smile.gif

Darren 

Mar 17, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #4,808 of 48,578
Thankfully, broadband minimum speeds are being increased all over the world. Youtube has the nasty habit of messing with video and audio quality if you upload non compliant formats that are then processed by Youtube.

Mar 17, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #4,810 of 48,578
Codecs have improved quite a bit and there is less and less reason to use such low resolutions as 360p. Youtube offers lower resolutions anyway, so might as well send a higher quality file so everyone can enjoy it the same.

Mar 17, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #4,811 of 48,578

Quote:
I know it might be taboo but I'll still ask anyway.  Any user input on the TB Z6A, after it replaced the HPX?  
I guess I'll ask on behalf of my friend about this also.  He's also purchasing some headphones at the price range of $100-$180.  If the TB Z6A turns out to actually be good at that price range ($60 just for the headphones) then he might go with that.

He also plans on having a Mixamp too.

TB Z6A is a multi driver (Eight!) design, which is usually inferior to a two a stereo headset + Dolby Headphone.  And getting a mixamp +  8 driver headset doesn't make any sense.

Tritton has some cheap stereo headsets, but I don't know how good they are.  Also the Razer carcharias is pretty cheap.  Again, never heard them.

Mar 17, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #4,812 of 48,578
Hrm you know... I really don't actually understand the formula/mechanics of the Mixamp.  So bear with me as my terminology is a bit flaky.

It provides Dolby Headphone which is a virtual 5.1 setup to your stereo headphones?
The Astro A40's drivers is also multiple drivers right? It supposedly has a physical 5.1 setup.  Or it's also a standard stereo set?

If it's the former then dolby headphone is kinda a moot point for the Astro A40 no?  (Or based on MLE's explanation from a different topic that I'm trying to remember) going Dolby Headphone will just make the headphone use only left and right speakers regardless if it's a multi driver or not.

In which case if a source say a PC without going into detail had a digital out(toslink) if you hooked it up to the mixamp via toslink then a multi driver headphone like the A40.  If you stream something that has dolby digital in it etc etc.  It's properly being decoded into the headphone right?  Or you need to turn on the dolby button for it to be properly decoded?

My Mixamp is an old version (2009) so my mileage might vary compared to the now 2011 version cause the dolby button wasn't really... interesting.  Comparing the on and off: while on the sound was SLIGHTLY more muffled (or muddy is the proper term?)  Plus the sound was coming from inside my head while it's on.  Not only that the sound direction as you call it? The left, right, forward and back wasn't as discrete anymore, they sorta "merged" (this is probably where I got that muffled sensation from).

While off it's the opposite the sound was coming from outside not inside my head.  The sound direction was alot more discrete for what it could offer, and everything just sounded a bit more clear.

Hopefully I got it right in understanding how a mixamp handles a stereo or multi driver headphone where the source is through a digital out/toslink.

=======

As for my friend well.  His budget is about $100-$180, and the best headset at that price range that would most likely be recommended on this site I imagine is the PC360 no?  If there's a headPHONE that's of even higher quality than the PC360 even though it doesn't have a mic that'd be interesting to know about.

In any case thanks chicolom.

Mar 17, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #4,813 of 48,578
The A40s are a stereo headset. Very illogical if Astro bundleda multi driver headphone with a stereo amplifier.

In any case, I had an old Mixamp too. Worked just like the new one. Its the same exact processing.

Refer to the first video on the first page, to understand how virtual surround is supposed to work. Just plug in your headphones, without any enhancements. You'll get Dolby Headphone in that vid, on the part I mention.

Mar 17, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #4,814 of 48,578
Quote:
Hell, I have a very fast connection, yet Youtube acts as if I have a 28.8k modem.
mad.gif

That 28.8 modem is actually connected to the sole youtube server hosting all the videos you want to watch and only those videos due to the Cloud Uncertainty Principle...

Mar 18, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #4,815 of 48,578
Oh I see, thanks for the correction.  I'm starting to understand it alot better now.  (Embarrassingly this also means that my sound setup this entire time on my PC has been incorrectly done.... least I think so, luckily still sounded great at least)

And unfortunately all my headset belongings etc is still back in the US.  (Again due to circumstances I have to stay in the Philippines for the remainder of the year)

So only thing I have is these stock apple in ear phones.  Though that alone I could tell the DH in the vid so that was really interesting!

In any case during my time here I'm gonna try and see if I can find any dealers or friend's of my dad who can sell/let me borrow the Q701 and try em out.

@MLE: Oh so you have the old one.... Question, when you turn the volume dial on the mixamp right wards do you start getting any hissing at or past 1 oclock?  Mine did. (Game/Voice was centered/middle still)

In which case in a sound chain via double amping etc, if one amp makes hissing, will that hissing travel to your headphone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back