Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 3, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #4,471 of 48,562
First off, Thanks so much MLE and everyone else that has and will contribute to this thread you guys are amazing! 
[size=10pt]I've been reading through this thread trying to glean as much information as I can. I think I have made my decision on what setup I am going to get but I thought I should post it and see if you guys catch anything I'm missing. [/size]
[size=10pt]I play games mostly on my PC but I also have an xbox that I use from time to time. I need (want) a pair of headphones that I can use with either system that will give me this DH surround that sounds so amazing. My PC doesn't have a sound card just what is on the motherboard (asrock 870 Extreme3) which claims to have "[/size][size=9.0pt]7.1 CH HD Audio with Content Protection (Realtek ALC892 Audio Codec)" [/size][size=10pt] and it does have optical out so I can hook that up to any of the DH systems previously mentioned. I haven't been able to trick it into giving me surround on my headphones but maybe someday I will try and figure that out. [/size]

[size=10pt]I am most definitely not an audiophile and I do have some hearing loss which decades ago the audiologist said I should never use headphones...... ya that didn't last long. I did research here a few years ago and got a pair of nuforce IEMs that I find to be a much better sounding option than the ibuds that I was using, as long as you don’t move to much. I also have a pair of Sennheiser HD 435s from work that sound pretty good to me and I hope would work plugged into any of the DH amps that I will buy. [/size]

[size=10pt]I hope to spend no more than $150(US) so after reading through this thread and checking prices I would love to get the Astro mixamp 5.8 but just can’t justify the cost since I can’t get it separately from the A40s which most of you have rated poorly. Someone earlier gave a glowing review of the TB PX5 and those have the added bonus of wireless (mostly) and built in mic. I figured for movies or single player I can just plug my 435s into the wired headset port. I also found them used on amazon (90 day return policy) for $130ish which seems like an amazing steal. After that I would probably just try the DSS2 or AX720 for the amp.[/size]

[size=10pt]So there are my loooong musings if anyone has some input they would like to give me I would appreciate it, and thanks for wading through my post.[/size]

Ps – Any thoughts about the TB X42s that are going to be released in April?

Mar 3, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #4,472 of 48,562
I keep seeing the DSS2 being recommended and I am reading nothing but bad things about them.  Reports from reviews on Amazon of people saying it's not even 7.1 and the quality not even close to the original one.  Anyone know of truth to these reports?  As the DSS seems to have gone above $100 and the DSS2 is around $70, but if it's inferior...not even going to consider it.

Mar 3, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #4,473 of 48,562

Quote:
I keep seeing the DSS2 being recommended and I am reading nothing but bad things about them.  Reports from reviews on Amazon of people saying it's not even 7.1 and the quality not even close to the original one.  Anyone know of truth to these reports?  As the DSS seems to have gone above $100 and the DSS2 is around $70, but if it's inferior...not even going to consider it.

From what I understand, games don't output 7.1 anyway, they output 5.1 surround sound. In any case we're talking about a device that mixes surround sound into stereo for virtual surround sound; so what's the issue with 5.1 vs 7.1?
Pls note: I have no experience with the DSS, just pointing out what seems to be fallacious logic.

Quote:
But in terms of sound they are the same right ?
And as i know the DT 990 has a big jack input and all these amps would have a 3.5 jack . . do i need to use an adapter ? it would be wierd carrying all that in my pocket . .
What model would you recommend and how do they work ? usb rechargble ?

Read MLE's impressions earlier on 990 Pro vs Premium in his opinion. They use the same drivers but when you have them clamp tighter, there are going to be some differences to the sound. It's like your speakers--if you sit real close they might sound a bit too boomy, but if you sit further back a bit, maybe they sound just right. Nobody can say whether the Pro or Premium is better suited to you, or put a % on how much "better" one is based on its clamping force. You will have to read up more on your own.

What "model" and "USB rechargeable" are you talking about? An amp? Are you thinking of using the 990 while traveling? That would be a bad idea.

Mar 3, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #4,475 of 48,562

Quote:
Wrong. The PC360 is actually modeled after the 595. I believe they share the same drivers, but the housing and internal gives it a different sound, FWIR.
It baffles me how people come up with things from out of nowhere. The 558/598 are a different series altogether. Don't even know how the hell the 518 has been added to this.

Hi guys,  Not sure if it helps but I picked up the PC360 and I found I had to return them because my HD595s sound much better and in my honest opinion seem to be made with better materials and feel more comfortable than the PC360.  So I use the HD595 with a separate mic. 

Take care,
George

Mar 4, 2012 at 5:06 AM Post #4,476 of 48,562

Quote:
Wrong. The PC360 is actually modeled after the 595. I believe they share the same drivers, but the housing and internal gives it a different sound, FWIR.
It baffles me how people come up with things from out of nowhere. The 558/598 are a different series altogether. Don't even know how the hell the 518 has been added to this.

I looked it up and that´s what google came up with. I was only sure that it ws not the 598. Sorry if that was wrong and thanks for the clarification.

Mar 4, 2012 at 5:43 AM Post #4,478 of 48,562

Hey everyone, a gaming sub-forum is arriving shortly!

We freaking did it guys, we did it!

What's funny is that I didn't know about that petition until about a month ago (for a 7 month old petition). Once I plugged it here, the votes started really ramping up. We couldn't have done it without all you guys supporting this, so thanks to all of you!

Mar 4, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #4,480 of 48,562
So I went to Game(shaft)stop and traded in Shinobido 2 for Hot Shots Golf. May as well get SOME of my money back for that crap called a game. Always been a Hot Shots Golf fan, so I figured it'd be worthwhile on the Vita.

Mar 4, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #4,481 of 48,562
Well I'm getting some T1s later this week-so I'm in the game to buy a Mixamp/DSS/Tritton again...which device is most likely to power these the best? For reference, they should be a little easier to drive than the 600 ohm 880s...too bad I sold of my HK receiver with it's black background!

-Daniel

Mar 4, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #4,482 of 48,562
I believe the DSS is just a smidge more powerful, but the differences between the 3 aren't huge in terms of power, FWIH. The wired Mixamp has the quietest background though. Assuming you're not using a mic, all three should drive them loudly at least. The Mixamp drives 600ohm Beyers quite loud, based on personal experience. I'd still hook up another amp for better dynamics though, assuming you're okay with using the devices as a makeshift pre-amp.

Mar 4, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #4,484 of 48,562
Not sure if your talking to someone specifically but both the Wireless and Wired Mixamps should still be available. I use the Wired  Mixamp PRO myself and its great, I could feed it to my Fiio E9 which is currently unused now in the box, but the Mixamp powers the AKG K702 and DT770 PRO 80 with enough volume at around 12-1 o'clock, so theres plenty of power left and I don't think there would be any point, this is for the PS3 though..  and I am still able to use a microphone.

Mar 4, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #4,485 of 48,562

Quote:
That was my next question-is anybody feeding the Mixamp out to another amp without much distortion or other problems? Also, is the wired Mixamp still available, or just the wireless?

-Daniel

Only the wired mixamp is available stand-alone. The wireless is only being sold bundled with astro headsets
mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back