Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 18, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #4,126 of 48,581
Quote:
Mine is 04165.  I have no idea if there's been a change in them though.  The different impressions for them already existed before I tried them, that's the reason I looked into them to begin with.

The graphs at Headroom have showed the Q701s with a little more bass than the K701s since the Qs were released.  I've seen some photos somewhere that showed the Qs were damped a little differently than the Ks as well.  That mean you could probably get some extra bass form the Ks with some simple mods if you pick up an older pair for cheap or something.  You could probably squeeze more bass out of the Qs if you wanted too.

Feb 18, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #4,127 of 48,581
I can't believe how addicted to this thread I am!  As someone completely satisfied with my Denon D1100, but looking to get open cans in the near future, I'm researching the crap out of headphones.  I LOVE the sound Denon produces so I'm heavily considering the Denon D7000's because a lot of reviews say they do allow for a good mount of outside noise to come in and I need that for when I need to hear my wife calling me in another room.  Only issue I have is they don't look to have a 3.5mm input jack and I have a powerful enough decoder box where I don't want to get another amp just to be able to run these.

Other phones I'm considering are PC 360 and DT990's but I would really like to stick with Denon as I am just a huge fan of their sound as a whole.  I may wind up getting the PC 360's just for gaming with friends, but I really want the Denon D7000's!

Feb 18, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #4,128 of 48,581

Quote:
The graphs at Headroom have showed the Q701s with a little more bass than the K701s since the Qs were released.  I've seen some photos somewhere that showed the Qs were damped a little differently than the Ks as well.  That mean you could probably get some extra bass form the Ks with some simple mods if you pick up an older pair for cheap or something.  You could probably squeeze more bass out of the Qs if you wanted too.

If you talking about the little foam pads under the Q701 badge and/or the foam right behind the ear pads, those don't play much of a factor....

Have you seen different photos of the internals?

Feb 18, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #4,129 of 48,581
I think that was it but I don't remember the details.  It wasn't really something I was following too closely.  Have you tested those foam discs or something?

Maybe I could try something similar with my K601...

Feb 18, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #4,130 of 48,581
The little sticker on the inside says 03893

im also trying to get a few new headphones for me and friends.

creative live - budget pc headphones for dolby/cssm

denon 1100 - $100 musical headphone with decent bass for rocksmith

ultrasone 750 - portable easy to drive headphone for music and ps vita and to see what the s logic fuss is about. Hopefully theses are not massively bassy just something with a little kick.

Feb 18, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #4,131 of 48,581

Quote:
I think that was it but I don't remember the details.  It wasn't really something I was following too closely.  Have you tested those foam discs or something?

Maybe I could try something similar with my K601...

Ya, I tested it.  Didn't make much difference.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/537241/akg-k701-k702-vs-akg-q701/120#post_8133434

Feb 18, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #4,132 of 48,581
Quote:
Ya, I tested it.  Didn't make much difference.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/537241/akg-k701-k702-vs-akg-q701/120#post_8133434

Hmm...

Maybe its something different then.  I see some changes in Tyll's graphs that could indicate driver tweaks.

Feb 18, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #4,133 of 48,581
Not trying to start a rumor, just trying to figure out what is going on with them. Bought some gift cards/coupons from them before christmass. Been waiting so long I am considering getting a.creative recon 3d but dont want to waste the money I already spent.
What will an amp actually do for the sound of the q701?
I am trying to figure these things out. I know they are not bassy headphones but there doesnt seem to be much of any. I am thinking its because its my first real open headphone. So maybe I am just used to the sound pushed into my head rather than being around it.

What source are you using? My apparently easy to drive Samson's have zero bass plugged into the back of my motherboard and cell phone, but they sounded great when using my receiver and pretty good with my iPod. Try a few different ones if you can.

Feb 18, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #4,134 of 48,581
Thefranklin

I am hoping that is what it is. I definetly dont have a volume problem. When I hook it into my laptop I only have it set to 3-4 out of 25. All I have is the laptop, cell, a $100 htib rca receiver, and a old sony cd player. When I put the bass boost on in the cd player it fills the headphones really well.

I have a objective2 amp built for me. But had the guy hold onto it so I could have the dac built into it when it is released.

Feb 19, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #4,135 of 48,581
http://www.head-fi.org/t/570348/petition-for-a-video-games-lounge-subforum

To all my gaming buddies here, please vote for a gaming sub-forum here on this site! We all would have personal interests for this, where we would be ableto actually discuss our fave games at length. It wouldbe a huge win for us gamers, and would keep me here on Head-fi even more.

I will be adding this petition to my sig as well as the first post when I get home. Thanks in advanced.

Feb 19, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #4,136 of 48,581
What source are you using? My apparently easy to drive Samson's have zero bass plugged into the back of my motherboard and cell phone, but they sounded great when using my receiver and pretty good with my iPod. Try a few different ones if you can.

Uhh, the back of motherboards tend to be for actual speakers, not headphones. I'm seriously surprised people are doing this.

Feb 19, 2012 at 2:23 AM Post #4,137 of 48,581

Quote:
BTW, the Mass Effect 3 demo with the D7000.... SCHWEETNESS ALMIGHTY.

Also tried the Binary Domain demo. Game looks so ace.

I see what you mean about the mass effect demo.  Those reapers made some juicy bass noises when they moved and shot stuff.

That Binary Domain demo was interesting.  Very Japanese and surprisingly polished.  The menus remind me so much armored core games.  The robots looked a little lame, like iRobots instead of terminators.  And What with the french robot and and Gorilla robot at the end?  Unnecessary...
tongue.gif

Feb 19, 2012 at 5:33 AM Post #4,138 of 48,581
That's what I love about Sega, they tend to publish some interesting games that break from the norm. I actually love that Binary Domain has robots more like I Robot. Makes it more convincing that these robots were once our own creations that we could relate with. Terminator type robots are just that, killers first.

I added the petition to the thread and sig. I hope all of you are on board and VOTE!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back