Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jul 15, 2016 at 8:51 AM Post #35,928 of 48,578
And doable, I'm sure. I'll tag @PETEREK
 so we can see what he thinks.

Slightly off topic...

I was reading in another thread that people who are buying the TH-X00 from Massdrop are having them sent directly to him so he could do the mod...

This might actually save me the $28 in sales tax I would pay in NJ, which would go toward the price of the mods. I'd rather give him my money than the State of NJ. Rant over.

Jul 15, 2016 at 8:53 AM Post #35,929 of 48,578
Slightly off topic...

I was reading in another thread that people who are buying the TH-X00 from Massdrop are having them sent directly to him so he could do the mod...

This might actually save me the $28 in sales tax I would pay in NJ, which would go toward the price of the mods. I'd rather give him my money than the State of NJ. Rant over.

I've had two of my headphones shipped directly to him, saving me the extra shipping costs. Definitely an option he's cool with (given the heads up).

Jul 15, 2016 at 8:54 AM Post #35,930 of 48,578
!.
I have now ordered tritton 720+ 7.1 headset which I got from eBay for £35($46) Inc postage! Have I made a mistake? Btw I only care bout one thing and that is hearing enemy footsteps im not bothered about anything else.

Another thing is compatibility with the ps4.will the "audiophile" headphones e.g. Audio-Technica AD700 not gaming ones have 7.1 surround sound?

The Tritton 720+ system is fine, and that seems a decent price. I haven't heard the headset itself, but MLE tested the puck/processor. If you ended up not liking the headset, you could always use a different headphone like the AD700 or even Koss KSC75 (sometimes marketed as "Pulse") clip-ons, so no I don't think you made a mistake.

2. The base unit/puck/DSP/whatever that comes with the 720+ does the 7.1 surround processing, and you can plug any headphone into that (including "audiophile" ones).

Ev, did you ever progress through Bloodborne?

I beat the boss I was stuck at, every once in a while I come back and progress. Right now I have Overwatch (which is ok, but sometimes I wish it was a little more rich), Paragon (free PS+ download), and the last few sections of FarCry 4 on rotation.

Just saw them. Definitely hnnnnnng worthy.

I'm still on my trusty HE400.

Just beat Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness a few days ago, waiting on I Am Setsuna next week.

How was Star Ocean? :D

Jul 15, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #35,931 of 48,578
I beat the boss I was stuck at, every once in a while I come back and progress. Right now I have Overwatch (which is ok, but sometimes I wish it was a little more rich), Paragon (free PS+ download), and the last few sections of FarCry 4 on rotation.

I can help if you ever get back to it. I really need the extra insights, used 'em all on a boss I'm stuck on in the 'Old Hunters' expansion.

I think my nephew is picking up Overwatch for his bday. We game share with each other so I'll be able to jump on if he does. At least all their post launch DLC is free.

Jul 15, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #35,932 of 48,578
Star Ocean was okay. A bit disappointing all things considered, but on my number scale, I'd put it at a 6.5 (my old ratings). definitely flawed, and I prefer SO4 by a large margin, which ironically, people seemed to hate (I LOVED SO4). Still, it's playable, and there's fun to be had here and there. Just... I'm a huge Star Ocean fan, and this left me feeling like this is the wrong way to go/end. Review sites drilled this game pretty hard. I wouldn't say it's as bad as they say, but yeah.

Guys, something interesting: London has Fallen, on Blu-Ray has a DTS headphone X option! I didn't notice until about 1/3 through the movie.

I enabled it just recently and paused to tell you guys. So rent/buy the movie if you're interested in how DTS Headphone X sounds. I turned off the surround processing on the X7, to let the embedded processing of the movie to be unhindered.

Let's see how well it works.

I sincerely hope this becomes a trend.

Jul 15, 2016 at 9:36 AM Post #35,933 of 48,578
Slightly off topic...

This is brilliant.
Guys, something interesting: London has Fallen, on Blu-Ray has a DTS headphone X option! I didn't notice until about 1/3 through the movie.

I enabled it just recently and paused to tell you guys. So rent/buy the movie if you're interested in how DTS Headphone X sounds. I turned off the surround processing on the X7, to let the embedded processing of the movie to be unhindered.

IIRC Pearl Harbor had a Dolby Headphone track available on the DVD release.

Jul 15, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #35,934 of 48,578
It'd be great if the DTS guys are trying to really push Headphone X, so any movie under their control for audio will hopefully nowadays come with it. A man can hope.

Still watching it, but so far it sounds pretty good in terms of SQ. central channel doesn't sound distant like typical surround DSP, but whether it's the movie or not, surround cues aren't doing too much. Soundstage for the surround effects do see far out. I did miss quite a bit for the biggest action scene (I enabled it after), so I dunno if I'll get a good feel for HPX with this movie. It is undeniably better than standard headphone stereo at least. Not sure I'd choose it over just using the SBX from the X7 though. Still, seeing as it's new to me, I'll be giving it its dues as much as possible.

Jul 15, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #35,935 of 48,578

I went to Amazon and check out the movie. The picture with the back cover says it does have DTS Headphone X. Pretty cool, didn't know this until you said it. Now Im going to be checking this out more often.

Jul 15, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #35,937 of 48,578
Hey so the trittons came and iv been using them I have everything setup correctly opt cable and the USB in the ps4 and have the decorder in dobly mode. However I can barely hear enemy footsteps especially in blackops 3 the other sounds make it almost impossible to locate enemies by sound. Am I doing something wrong? Or is this really the best the 720+ offers

Jul 15, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #35,938 of 48,578
Hey so the trittons came and iv been using them I have everything setup correctly opt cable and the USB in the ps4 and have the decorder in dobly mode. However I can barely hear enemy footsteps especially in blackops 3 the other sounds make it almost impossible to locate enemies by sound. Am I doing something wrong? Or is this really the best the 720+ offers

Set digital Output Priority to Dolby, Headphone output to Chat Only. Equip Amplify and Dead Silence in-game.

Jul 15, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #35,939 of 48,578
I'm thinking about making all the white highlights on the headphones black(all the text).
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/aipXii-qWiQ/maxresdefault.jpg

Do you think a pen like this would do the trick?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Birchwood-Casey-Flat-Black-Touch-Up-Paint-Pen-Matte-Cameras-Guns-Scopes-Lenses-/181552589838

Users who are viewing this thread

Back