Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 5, 2016 at 4:03 AM Post #35,236 of 48,565
Heeeey, if it wasn't for Battlefield 2: Modern Combat on the Xbox 360, I never would've played FPS games, and this thread wouldn't have existed. I've been gaming since the 80s, and BF2: MC was my FIRST real FPS game. I owe a lot to that game. Of course, CoD4 came right after and REALLY got me into FPS.

Interesting. Modern Combat kinda flew under the radar as it was overshadowed that year by CoD2, Quake IV, F.E.A.R., and DoD:S. Not to mention the extremely popular PC BF2 that it was cut down from. 2005 was a great year for FPS.

May 5, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #35,237 of 48,565
I always watched my brother playing it, and I enjoyed it, so I bought it for myself, and the rest was history.

May 5, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #35,238 of 48,565
The last real BF game was 2142, not this watered down for consoles junk. It's funny because Visceral did a better job than DICE has with any BF game since BC2. Hardline actually took some risks to break from the formula and people weren't ready for it. The Hitman-style singleplayer alone was better than anything in BF3 and BF4. DICE only knows how to make graphically impressive but shallow and mediocre multiplayer games. Battlefront 3 doesn't even deserve its name.

About BF2142, though: it took the unlock system they showed off with BF2 and made it utterly overblown. I mean, having to unlock HAND GRENADES? Really, DICE?

It's a shame, since I like the sci-fi take and all, but if anything, I blame 2142 for starting the trend of modern multiplayer FPSs becoming grindfests to unlock the guns that don't suck. SW:BF3 isn't much better in that regard, since I still remember how much it sucked trying to play the open beta without having unlocked Thermal Detonators or Cycler Rifles against everyone who did.

I mean, I still have bitter memories of BF:BC2 where I tried to face off with my awful PKM against guys who already had M60 + Magnum Ammo, to ill effect. I don't recall anything in BF1942 or BF2 being that stupidly unbalanced. (Vietnam, on the other hand... M60 + LAW kit, anyone?)

At the very least, I see a lot of hope on the horizon for modern FPSs, since Unreal Tournament 4 is already a thing and plays pretty impressively despite being in pre-alpha at the moment. They've put even more thought into movement and gun mechanics than any prior iteration of UT, and possibly even more than Unreal Championship 2 as well.

May 5, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #35,239 of 48,565
if I was to get a mic, I would probably get a blue snowball so that's not a issue.
Would the creative sound blaster g5 sound okay with either one?

Yup, the G5 would sound okay with either. Put it on high gain for the HE-400i, doesn't need to be louder but it sounds more dynamic.

Keep in mind too that the snowball is great, but the E5 has everything the G5 does, plus a built-in beam forming mic that doesn't suck. The table stand is ok, but it also has a thread mount if you want to get advanced and mount it on an arm :wink: So, compare the price difference of the G5 vs E5 (about $50) and the cost of the blue snowball, and consider if maybe some of the E5's other features could come in handy some day (Bluetooth, battery).

May 5, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #35,240 of 48,565
Sorry if I seem picky but how do the 400s compare to the 400i?
On Amazon there's around $100 difference in price.
I hear the 400s pads are I pain to chance but the 400i has the weird twist on cable.
Also would the 400s having one side being planer instead of double sided affect sound quality at all?

May 5, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #35,241 of 48,565
Hifiman does make HE400i with regular cable connectors, not just the old-style screw-on ones. Just gotta look for the newer HE400i. I haven't heard the HE400s to compare.

While I've owned a bunch of external DSPs, conquerator2 has owned or at least listened to almost all the HiFiman headphones.

May 5, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #35,242 of 48,565
The 400i and 400s have the same pad mounting system.
Personally, I liked them both for different reasons. 
The 400s I liked for its smooth character and full midrange while the 400i is a bit more extended up top and bottom. The 560 is more extended in both directions than both but also not as smooth. The 400i sounds fairly close in terms of signature to the 560 while the S version is more differrnt.

May 5, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #35,243 of 48,565
About BF2142, though: it took the unlock system they showed off with BF2 and made it utterly overblown. I mean, having to unlock HAND GRENADES? Really, DICE?

It's a shame, since I like the sci-fi take and all, but if anything, I blame 2142 for starting the trend of modern multiplayer FPSs becoming grindfests to unlock the guns that don't suck. SW:BF3 isn't much better in that regard, since I still remember how much it sucked trying to play the open beta without having unlocked Thermal Detonators or Cycler Rifles against everyone who did.

I mean, I still have bitter memories of BF:BC2 where I tried to face off with my awful PKM against guys who already had M60 + Magnum Ammo, to ill effect. I don't recall anything in BF1942 or BF2 being that stupidly unbalanced. (Vietnam, on the other hand... M60 + LAW kit, anyone?)

At the very least, I see a lot of hope on the horizon for modern FPSs, since Unreal Tournament 4 is already a thing and plays pretty impressively despite being in pre-alpha at the moment. They've put even more thought into movement and gun mechanics than any prior iteration of UT, and possibly even more than Unreal Championship 2 as well.

Well, the huge shadow in today's BF teaser trailer all but confirms it. Bring on the Titans!

Edit: Or is it a zeppelin? Tomorrow can't get here fast enough... :/

May 5, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #35,245 of 48,565
CoD does future, everyone bitches about it. Battlefield does the same, everyone praises it.

I wish people would just be honest to themselves and admit they just LOVE to hate on CoD, and brownnose everything Battlefield.

I'm not speaking to anyone here in particular. Just the general consensus online.

Some people just love to hate.

May 5, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #35,246 of 48,565
Sorry man. General consensus from many is that DICE just does military shooters better than most others.

Until Battlefront that is lol

I think the reason why Battlefield gets a pass is because all but one have been modern/historic. I believe the last five CODs have been set some time in the future (which happen to be all the ones I skipped). I haven't bought a COD since MW3. I was very disappointed with it, tried BF3, never looked back.

May 6, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #35,248 of 48,565
CoD does future, everyone bitches about it. Battlefield does the same, everyone praises it.

I wish people would just be honest to themselves and admit they just LOVE to hate on CoD, and brownnose everything Battlefield.

I'm not speaking to anyone here in particular. Just the general consensus online.

Some people just love to hate.

You do know why the name Call of Duty was used for the first couple of games of WW2?

Also, it's not hate, it's facts and one fact is that after every release since BO2, COD games aren't selling well anymore.

Another fact is that, they have not improve much in the latest games. Not much replay value in them.

A good amount of people agree that the latest COD games were made and marketed towards teens.

I played the latest one and it's ok.
It's fun for a bit but quickly gets dull.

Maybe I'm just getting old...I'm almost 30 :frowning2:

May 6, 2016 at 4:02 AM Post #35,250 of 48,565
Rudy, we're like the same age! :ninja:
I think the CoD series still breaks sales records each time it comes out... It just people aren't as vocally passionate or inspired by them anymore.

The old CoDs were about trying to feel like part of an army, part of something historic. Big battles for both sides, and (eventually) battles that mattered (historically).

Of course, Battlefield games outdid CoD on the whole "big army and lots of people fighting alongside you" bit, so CoD games started telling more "personal" stories about finding glory and playing a pivotal role. Single player was still the main draw.

Halo 2. Halo 2. Changed console multiplayer forever. CoD caught up with (basically) CoD4, which had a GREAT multiplayer and a fresh campaign which was more shadow ops... Still seemed like you were doing something quasi-historic and important because of the contemporary setting in the Middle East and the shock of the (spoilers?) nuclear bomb. Single player and MP were equally cool, and there was a LOT of life/meat/content in the multiplayer. MW2 was arguably still contemporary with the terrorist attacks but honestly was just a continuation of CoD4 and the plot wasn't memorable other than "Oooh they had to offer a censored option on one of the levels," that was the first title mostly about multiplayer. BO campaign harkened back to taking part in pivotal points of history, and had a really cool plot even though it was still "shadow ops" (black ops, duh). Oh, and good multiplayer.

Everything after that has just been fantasy, and I do like Fantasy but nothing that happens seems to matter or have stakes I care about. BO3 campaign has been such a grind, I got it just about when it came out and I still can only play a level here and there before boredom, haven't beaten it yet. I'm on a level where I just found out the spec ops team that trained me has gone rogue, and... there's a conspiracy about putting people's consciousnesses into robots? Or people are using augmented reality to hack into our perception of real reality? I don't give a poop! Multiplayer is boring; I only enjoy the 3-shot burst AR and the first pistol, maybe the Dingo if I was ranked up enough to put it in a loadout (but I would move slow as molasses), the gametypes are stale and not helped by the boring meat-grinder-in-the-center maps, and the slightly-more-powerful supers and wall-running don't change the pace of the game. Zombies mode has some clever encounters and probably is the best part of the current game, but I don't feel too enthusiastic about digging in and doing research outside gameplay to learn the best strategies and what I need to do... I'm trying to have fun, not get homework that pays you back in an interesting exam. I could learn in-game from matchmade teammates, but if someone has a mic they're in party chat and won't help you anyway.

CoD4 was great, replaying it probably would bring back the old addictions, but they could make a cool NEW CoD too if they made the campaign have some grounding in reality and/or at least make it significant to where to feel proud to have beaten it, and at least have some multiplayer maps where the battle lines seem to shift like some of the best CoD4 and even Ghosts maps. You guys may disagree with me here, but no meat-grinder maps like Nuketown for over 6 total players, or from BO3 you have Combine, Aquarium, and Metro, but all of these play TDM like the center is a king of the hill spot but there is no "hill," just a no man's land where almost everyone gets funneled into and dies. Maybe I'm weird, but knowing where to find the enemy isn't enough fun for me, that's just trench warfare in disguise. Trench warfare was WWI, how did we end up making games like that? I like the sense of progression, being able to push the enemy back around the map or sneak up from behind. We don't need nukes, we don't need 20 different killstreaks where you can't get half of them without care package luck or camping like a ****** ******. We don't need the DLC guns that actually feel unique locked behind micro transactions... You know that they won't give them to you despite spending $100 on game and season pass, but people actually spent a lot of money experimenting with the micro transactions and found out that odds are you probably won't get a DLC gun till you spend on average $81? On top of the game and season pass?

What is this?
/end rant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back