Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jun 25, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #31,201 of 48,565

HyperX Cloud
SkullCandy SLYR

Again, only if a headset is an absolute requirement. Otherwise buy a headphone.

No, I'm not going to do a mini-review on either because I advocate headphone use over headset gaming. Better sound > convenience.

I already have headphones + mic and I love them but whenever I try convince someone to switch to phnes+mic combo (or virtual surround for that matter), the strongest argument I'm faced is convenience. And I understand people who don't want to end up with a cable clutter and just want to have a good sounding convenient setup. So if there are headsets that do actually sound decent, I think it would be beneficial to recommend them to all those people who want their game audio to sound better without sacrificing ease of use.

Jun 25, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #31,202 of 48,565
Do you feel X2 is technically competent enough that you won't be missing your TH-900? :wink:

Yes. I'm 100% happy with my X2, and if it ever broke, I'd buy the X2 right back.

Jun 25, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #31,203 of 48,565
Yes. I'm 100% happy with my X2, and if it ever broke, I'd buy the X2 right back.

So is the TH900 more of a headphone that can be owned for just a little while and enjoy its sound signature but afterwards ypu realize how expensive it is that the X2 overall is the better headphone? And the X2 is a grwat bang for buck headphone.

In other words, the TH900 was not meant to be owned for a long time?

Jun 25, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #31,205 of 48,565
So is the TH900 more of a headphone that can be owned for just a little while and enjoy its sound signature but afterwards ypu realize how expensive it is that the X2 overall is the better headphone? And the X2 is a grwat bang for buck headphone.

In other words, the TH900 was not meant to be owned for a long time?

That's not it at all. It's the "I need to stop throwing away money on things I rarely use. I only need ONE headphone, and I could do some good with the cash I get from selling the TH900. I'll miss it, as it was near perfection, but I'm not about pursuing perfection anymore."

Also helped that the X2 has velour pads. I've only said it a million times, but no matter how good leather pads are, I will never be 100% happy with any unless they are velour pads, so I found myself picking up the X2 more because of it.

If the TH900 had velour pads with the same sound, it'd be a lot more difficult on letting them go.

Jun 25, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #31,206 of 48,565

Di you try the HyperX Cloud yet? or the equivalent takstar pro80?

HyperX Cloud
SkullCandy SLYR

Again, only if a headset is an absolute requirement. Otherwise buy a headphone.

No, I'm not going to do a mini-review on either because I advocate headphone use over headset gaming. Better sound > convenience.

I got both series of cloud. Im only eager to know how an expert judge them in comparison to some famous headset. I need a light in my darkness

Jun 25, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #31,207 of 48,565
Did u try some others headphone in the range?

The Creative Aurvana Live! and Live2 are also decent around that price. I've read a few people recommend a headphone by Takstar or Samson, but those two I haven't heard for myself. Skullcandy actually came out with a decent headphone in the SLYR headset, you may find a demo set at Target, Best Buy, GameStop, or even Office Depot, but keep in mind that those demo headsets tend to be abused by over 100 people a week. I think the SLYR is a partially open headphone... But it sounds pretty good (smooth and warm).

A few of these have reviews in the guide (first page).

A personal observation and opinion: I think it's pretty easy to find a competent headphone that is "good enough." But I need something special about the sound to really ENJOY it, good enough isn't "good enough." So, that really covers most closed headphones for me (comfort and heat reasons), but the headphones I keep and use for a year or years is one that brings a little unique magic every time I put them on, and is comfortable not to distract me. I don't have to spend astronomical sums to "get there," but I almost feel like it's a waste to settle for a sub-$100 headphone... At that point you might as well just stick with a Koss KSC 75.

Jun 25, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #31,208 of 48,565
Selling my TH900, because I'm pretty much done with the headphone game, and I can live with the X2 alone. I haven't been using headphones much lately, regardless. I'd rather use the funds on something outside of audio tech.

Wow, this is the thread that I enjoy following the most in Head-fi.
I learnt a lot from this thread and definitely had a few purchases that were recommended solely by Mad Lust yourself.

Hope you find a new hobby that isn't as expensive to follow.
And hope you do post some reviews once in a while as I will definitely still be following this thread.
(No pressure though, as I would rather see a fellow music/gaming enthusiast enjoy music/headphones without the pressure of doing reviews in the future!)

Jun 26, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #31,209 of 48,565
If I'm understanding this correctly... I should have all the games and windows itself set to surround... but the sound card control panel itself set to headphones?

So: (5.1/7.1surround setting) windows -> (headphones setting) X-Fi card (optical out)-> Uberfrost -> Asgard 2 ?

Jun 26, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #31,210 of 48,565
Yes, that's the idea, and make sure your card has the surround toggle enabled.

Jun 26, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #31,212 of 48,565
Any thought on the Turtle Beach XP Seven Headset? I noticed it was in use lot during E3 this year. Especially for the battlefront demo.

The surround processor part is supposed to be a good mixamp competitor (can mix game/chat audio, as well as a bunch of eq gimmicks), but the headset itself is kinda ho-hum Zzz...

Jun 27, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #31,214 of 48,565
Okay I'll never ask about TB headphones again! :) But I thought the amp looked interesting on the XP Seven. DICE does an amazing job w/ sound design and I figured if they're using this headset for Battlefront at E3 how bad can it be!?!?

Jun 27, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #31,215 of 48,565
Okay I'll never ask about TB headphones again!
smily_headphones1.gif
But I thought the amp looked interesting on the XP Seven. DICE does an amazing job w/ sound design and I figured if they're using this headset for Battlefront at E3 how bad can it be!?!?

Lol dont let yourself go with the design and marketing and all the stuff. Yes, DICE has done a good job with its sound in BF games but that doesnt mean that a TB headset will do wonders. Trust me, I had one.........worst thing ever bought and this was before I knew about this place. I have even tried some of them at Best Buy and they are all ewww. They seem to over emphasize alot on the bass and the soundstage sounds congested. All or mostly all of them are closed back as well. Uncomfortable, cheaply made.

Just follow this thread and you will never think about TB ever again.

But like I said. The only reason they used TB is because they are cheap, they are sponsoring......and thats money. Thats just it.

You are new, so you wont understand what some of us are saying until you try something that is recommended in here.

Trust me, you will never go back to TB or any other "headset" again. If any headset is worth it, I would only go with the Hyper X cloud, which I read does a pretty good job and the Sennheiser G4ME series headsets. Maybe the Auido Technica headsets as well but most of us can get by with one of the Headphones MLE has reviewed.

Right now, Im using the Philips Fidelio X2. My K7XX is looking at me like "why you do dis?" but I love it as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back