Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jun 18, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #31,141 of 48,565
Chococya, the PS4 console only has digital outputs, so you need a digital to analogue converter before you can start amplifying the analogue signal. Some cheap options:
In stereo: FiiO D3k, or the D5k
In stereo or processed to headphone surround: Turtle Beach DSS, on eBay. Also has built-in amp, not bad.

The other option is you can plug a headphone or amp into the headphone port on the DualShock 4 controller... Just don't expect the sound quality to be as good as a smartphone or the options I mentioned above.

Would this work:
PS4 > optical to FiiO D3k > RCA to Schiit Magni 2 (normal version, not "uber") > 3.5mm to headphone (AKG Annie/K712)

Jun 18, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #31,142 of 48,565

Would this work:
PS4 > optical to FiiO D3k > RCA to Schiit Magni 2 (normal version, not "uber") > 3.5mm to headphone (AKG Annie/K712)

Yup, it would

Jun 18, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #31,144 of 48,565

I personally enjoy the X1 quite a bit more than the HD598, although the 598 is nice. I don't let yourself be deterred from a good can just because another head-fier got a random defective pair. (No offense Dakano... sounds like you just got unlucky.)

Do you use your x1's with ps4 or for gaming in general?

Technically, both. All my gaming is done through the PS4. :)

I run the optical out to the MixAmp and then use a 10' Monoprice replacement cable to run to the headphone.

Very important pro tip: the cable that comes with the Fidelio X1 sucks. It has really high electrical resistance for no good reason. It definitely hurts the sound, but it is user removable and very easily replaceable. If you get the X1, do yourself a favor and order a $10 Monoprice replacement cable along with it. It makes a big difference. (You'll find this statement echoed in several Head-fi reviews and the InnerFidelity review. Trust me, do it.)

Overall, it's a great phone for music and gaming. Especially for the price. If you decide to get an amp with it, the Fiio E17 is a great compliment. The X1 responds extremely well to the bass and treble boost options, which really lets you tune the headphone to your liking.

Jun 18, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #31,145 of 48,565
Technically, both. All my gaming is done through the PS4. :)

I run the optical out to the MixAmp and then use a 10' Monoprice replacement cable to run to the headphone.

Very important pro tip: the cable that comes with the Fidelio X1 sucks. It has really high electrical resistance for no good reason. It definitely hurts the sound, but it is user removable and very easily replaceable. If you get the X1, do yourself a favor and order a $10 Monoprice replacement cable along with it. It makes a big difference. (You'll find this statement echoed in several Head-fi reviews and the InnerFidelity review. Trust me, do it.)

Overall, it's a great phone for music and gaming. Especially for the price. If you decide to get an amp with it, the Fiio E17 is a great compliment. The X1 responds extremely well to the bass and treble boost options, which really lets you tune the headphone to your liking.

Sounds exactly what I'm looking for. I've been reading reviews again today and including the InnerFidelity review. Everyone has said the same about the cable. We don't have Monoprice where I am but I am sure I will get something on Amazon. Ordered the Mixamp yesterday as I was getting it for 45. Think I am now certain the X1's are what I want.

Thanks for all you help, appreciated very much!

Jun 18, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #31,146 of 48,565
^Yup, and Mad mentioned as much in the first post too. Everybody agrees!

One more thing, the original FiiO E17 (not the new E17k) also had an optical input Jack. I still recommend surround processing for a special treat, BUT if you set the PS4 to stereo output (PCM) you can connect the E17 straight to the PS4 for an all-in-one setup.

So Chococya,
if you haven't bought that Schiit amp yet, the E17 could take the place of the D03k and Schiit amp as the one piece of (portable) equipment between your PS4 and AKGs. And if you ever want to save up for an amp even better than the magni2, you can use the FiiO's line out feature.

Still, the main downside to this feature: no surround sound with consoles. So that's why I usually recommend a Turtle Beach DSS instead, from eBay. Priced $20-$30, you get a DAC and amp about on the same level as the FiiO (I haven't tested them side-by-side), virtual headphone surround processing (to use with any normal stereo headphones), and a dial on the side to boost or slightly cut sub bass. I had/liked one for about a year, till I upgraded to the Creative X7 and no longer needed the DSS.

Jun 18, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #31,147 of 48,565
^Yup, and Mad mentioned as much in the first post too. Everybody agrees!

One more thing, the original FiiO E17 (not the new E17k) also had an optical input Jack. I still recommend surround processing for a special treat, BUT if you set the PS4 to stereo output (PCM) you can connect the E17 straight to the PS4 for an all-in-one setup.

So Chococya,
if you haven't bought that Schiit amp yet, the E17 could take the place of the D03k and Schiit amp as the one piece of (portable) equipment between your PS4 and AKGs. And if you ever want to save up for an amp even better than the magni2, you can use the FiiO's line out feature.

Still, the main downside to this feature: no surround sound with consoles. So that's why I usually recommend a Turtle Beach DSS instead, from eBay. Priced $20-$30, you get a DAC and amp about on the same level as the FiiO (I haven't tested them side-by-side), virtual headphone surround processing (to use with any normal stereo headphones), and a dial on the side to boost or slightly cut sub bass. I had/liked one for about a year, till I upgraded to the Creative X7 and no longer needed the DSS.

I still think saviing the money for the X7 is the best bet out of most of these choices. Otherwise, for the new generation of consoles, going for the DDS -> an amp is the cheapest solution. Usually sounds better than the Mixamp too.

Jun 18, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #31,149 of 48,565
Define "straight?" Optical is also "straight" to the PS4, and HDMI. But yeah, I think the ps4 can output stereo through USB, but I don't know if it would be any good. I only use USB for a microphone and for power to accessories (like my DS4)

Jun 19, 2015 at 12:41 AM Post #31,150 of 48,565
It's kinda strange but it seems that nobody knows the specs of the PS4 USB output (max sampling and sample size), not even ps4 dev wiki has that kind of info. Weird.

Jun 19, 2015 at 2:26 AM Post #31,151 of 48,565
I kind of wanna go back to just using my own amp with the Mixamp. The X7 is a finicky little bugger, and it lacks the rear audio cues that Dolby headphone makes easier to hear over SBX. Ah well.

Jun 19, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #31,152 of 48,565
Hi guys, I'm finding dac/amp to pair with AKG k712 pro I made some list but you can suggest me with these prices range.

Geek Out 1000
meridian explorer
Audio-gd NFB-11
Fiio E9k or E12 
Schiit Vali
ALO NATIONAL+ BLACK
which should I go for and how about the sound will look like each?

Jun 19, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #31,153 of 48,565
Define "straight?" Optical is also "straight" to the PS4, and HDMI. But yeah, I think the ps4 can output stereo through USB, but I don't know if it would be any good. I only use USB for a microphone and for power to accessories (like my DS4)

Quote:
  It's kinda strange but it seems that nobody knows the specs of the PS4 USB output (max sampling and sample size), not even ps4 dev wiki has that kind of info. Weird.

What I mean by straight as in connecting the USB straight from the DAC/amp to the USB port on the PS4.

Either way, it seems like connecting via optical is the best option to use amps with.

Jun 19, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #31,155 of 48,565
  Has anyone here used the NAD Viso HP50 with Dolby Headphone?  I've read that that they're very spacious sounding for a closed headphone.

I have both of those items, so I could give it a test drive for you this weekend, if nobody else has tried it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back