Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Sep 19, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #26,146 of 48,578
Best option under $100 would be Kingston HyperX Cloud, a headset that doesn't actually suck! (Whhhaaaaat?!) That, and the ATH M40x, which is basically M50x with a little bit less bass (more neutral?). Obviously, no mic with the M40x. In terms of what is considered to be best headphones for serious FPS gameplay instead of awesome audiophile music experience, AD700x and K701/Q701 (er... HD800s if you want to spend that much on gaming). HD558s would also be a decent choice as an all-arounder. Sennheiser's headsets basically charge you extra (too much) for having a mic stuck onto a headphone.

Sep 19, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #26,149 of 48,578
I'm going for a (mostly) wireless setup between my 360, PS3, PC, and hopefully someday a PS4. I ordered the Astro A50 but only afterward heard about the Skullcandy PLYR1. It seems like the latter has a superior sound quality? I figured that the only way to truly find out is to order both sets and compare them, then return the worse set.

I don't consider myself an audiophile, or at least I haven't had a compelling reason to invest heavily in audio. I am content with the price/performance of my Sony MDR-V6 and wonder if my ears can even appreciate better headphones. If either of these sets can meet the MDR-V6 or merely come close, then I'd be happy with that. The thing is about rating sound quality is that one person's "good" is another person's "terrible". Maybe someone familiar with the MDR-V6 can thus tell me what to expect relative to the A50 or PLYR1.

As far as being able to use a single headset with multiple systems, I imagine I need some kind of switch?

But I guess an even better question is, have I overlooked any options? If I want a wireless (I'm mostly OK with a 360 chat cable) headset (with microphone) to use with multiple systems interchangeably, what kind of setup might give me excellent audio quality?

Sep 19, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #26,150 of 48,578
  Ok, so I have an Astro Mixamp but I'm wondering what headset to get. Should I get the PC360 for $210 or is it worth the extra money for the ADG1 at $280? And before anyone says I'm better off getting the AD700x or whatever I want a proper headset. For me it's worth paying extra for the convenience of the attached mic. I just want to know whether it is worth the extra money for the ADG1 or if its not really much better than the PC360.

Also, out of curiosity, does the G4me One sound any better than the PC360 or are the update purely cosmetic?

Have you ever thought of a mod mic though? Just asking. With the ADG1, you're paying $280, you can get the 900X for $190+50 for the mod mic $240. Or 700x $150+50 for $200. Just my thought. This way the mic is detachable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVFKbVPTdG8

Sep 19, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #26,151 of 48,578

Have you ever thought of a mod mic though? Just asking. With the ADG1, you're paying $280, you can get the 900X for $190+50 for the mod mic $240. Or 700x $150+50 for $200. Just my thought. This way the mic is detachable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVFKbVPTdG8

Yeah. Often times you find headset version of a headphone, but they almost always charge too much extra for the mic. Or, you can use a desktop mic like Blue Yeti, which I personally prefer. I got my Yeti for only $63.

Sep 20, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #26,153 of 48,578

Yeah I thought about it for the 700x. The modmic costs $60 here though so by the time I get the 700x and the mic I'm already at the price of the PC360. I'm only going to use the headphones for gaming so I'd rather have the convenience of a headset than deal with with the hassle of tangling wires and having to find the mic mute switch on the wires mid game etc. Another concern I have is the fit of the ad700x since I've probably got a slightly smaller than average-sized head. I can't think of anything more annoying than having the headphones slide down your head while trying to game. This would also be a worry with the ADG1 but it looks like it might be slightly better than the 700x in this regard.

Sep 20, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #26,154 of 48,578
  Yeah. Often times you find headset version of a headphone, but they almost always charge too much extra for the mic. Or, you can use a desktop mic like Blue Yeti, which I personally prefer. I got my Yeti for only $63.

I thought that one of the reasons the ADG1 was so much more expensive than the ad700x was because of the USB DAC. I really don't have a clue how much it's actually worth but I heard it puts the price up by something like $30 which is annoying for someone like me who'd never use it. Without having to buy the USB DAC it would still be slightly overpriced compared to the 700x + mic but not ridiculously.

Sep 20, 2014 at 3:44 AM Post #26,155 of 48,578
seems like I'll go with the Mixamp in the end, just a few more questions

(1) BoomPro and Mixamp - Would I need to use the Y-Cable? Or will the Mixamp auto-detect the inline mic?

(2) BoomPro Mic Volume and Chat Volume - Is there anyway I can adjust this on the BoomPro?

(3) BoomPro Volume switch - What should the volume on this be? Or should I leave the setting alone? (I was actually thinking of maxing this and using just the Mixamp knob for control)

(4) Mixamp and PS4 - I'm currently using the Sony Wireless PULSE Elite so the headset allows me to change the volume - do I use the Mixamp knob for this? or that BoomPro Volume switch?

(5) External DAC/AMP for PS4 and Mixamp - Would a DAC be needed/useful for my X1 + BoomPro? I cannot use a USB DAC too right? (or do I just need a RCA to USB adapter?) - thinking of my Audinst MX-1

Sep 20, 2014 at 5:44 AM Post #26,156 of 48,578

(1) BoomPro and Mixamp - Would I need to use the Y-Cable? Or will the Mixamp auto-detect the inline mic?

(2) BoomPro Mic Volume and Chat Volume - Is there anyway I can adjust this on the BoomPro?

(3) BoomPro Volume switch - What should the volume on this be? Or should I leave the setting alone? (I was actually thinking of maxing this and using just the Mixamp knob for control)

(4) Mixamp and PS4 - I'm currently using the Sony Wireless PULSE Elite so the headset allows me to change the volume - do I use the Mixamp knob for this? or that BoomPro Volume switch?

(5) External DAC/AMP for PS4 and Mixamp - Would a DAC be needed/useful for my X1 + BoomPro? I cannot use a USB DAC too right? (or do I just need a RCA to USB adapter?) - thinking of my Audinst MX-1

1. No need to use the Y-cable, the boom pro ends with 4-pole minijack the same as the headset port on the mixamp

2. It has a line-level volume control but adjusting balance between the two is not going to be possible. Use the balance knob on the Mixamp.

3. Max it out and control from the mixamp

4. Use the Mixamp knob, leave the boom pro switch alone

5. You can't stack a DAC with the Mixamp (theoretically you can but it's pointless, no SQ improvement there) AMP would come in handy, go for the first page of this thread for recommendations.

Sep 20, 2014 at 5:50 AM Post #26,157 of 48,578

1. Auto-detect. Will work out of the box

2. Not really, just mic mute.

3. Max it out and use Mixamp to control the volume

4. Max it out (boom pro volume) and control the volume using mixamp knob

5. You can't stack together Mixamp with another DAC. Theoretically You can plug DAC output to the mixamp analog input but You'll lose surround sound, Sound quality would not be improved and there is practically nothing to gain here.

Sep 20, 2014 at 7:02 AM Post #26,158 of 48,578
thanks for the reply!
what are the situations where I would need to use the Y-Cable then? I read for the Sound Blaster Z I would need to separate my Mic and Sound cables via Y-Cable?

Hmm. So only an Amp would be useful right? I looked at the thread. guess it's the Schiit Magni then?

Sep 20, 2014 at 7:25 AM Post #26,159 of 48,578
thanks for the reply!
what are the situations where I would need to use the Y-Cable then? I read for the Sound Blaster Z I would need to separate my Mic and Sound cables via Y-Cable?

Hmm. So only an Amp would be useful right? I looked at the thread. guess it's the Schiit Magni then?

For devices with separate headphones and mic input (like PC soundcards)

Whatever AMP works for You and Your budget, I use Schiit Magni and I couldn't be happier about it but YMMV

Sep 20, 2014 at 7:44 AM Post #26,160 of 48,578
For devices with separate headphones and mic input (like PC soundcards)

Whatever AMP works for You and Your budget, I use Schiit Magni and I couldn't be happier about it but YMMV

thanks! hmm so you use the Magni and the Mixamp together? I'm kinda inclined to get one too.

any recommendations on a good extension cord to get?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back