Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 8, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #25,231 of 48,578
Wait, why? The SBX-equipped Creative soundcards are better than the THX equipped ones. SBX is basically the evolution of THX Tru Studio.

I only mention THX TS because it's basically the only real alternative to Dolby Headphone for CONSOLE use. PC gamers have it easy in terms of choices. So much variety.

The Zx is just a pricier version of the Z, so it uses SBX.

Aug 8, 2014 at 12:31 AM Post #25,232 of 48,578
I'll be modding my 15G with a detachable cable soon. Why? Mainly because of boredom and to level up my soldering skills. I just need to order a few panel mount female jacks to see what fits best inside. I'm also gonna see if stuffing some polyfil into the cups of the HS15 helps it out any. I opened them up a few days ago and there is absolutely nothing inside so maybe it can tighten the bass a little.

Aug 8, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #25,233 of 48,578
Ah ok. Thought he meant he bought a card with THX Tru Studio, not SBX. I wouldn't know. My laptop comes with an internal Creative card with THX TS. i dunno what they're doing nowadays with their cards.

Aug 8, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #25,234 of 48,578
Ultrasone HFI-15G. Very, very immersive, with fantastic surround cues. Very comfortable, basically indestructible. They sell for around $85. Check the review. I like it a lot. Definitely my fave open headphone for gaming under $100.

Those actually don't look that bad.  Kind of Like supersized PX100s.

I didn't notice that you had reviewed them...I'll go read it... 

Aug 8, 2014 at 1:22 AM Post #25,235 of 48,578
Ultrasone HFI-15G. Very, very immersive, with fantastic surround cues. Very comfortable, basically indestructible. They sell for around $85. Check the review. I like it a lot. Definitely my fave open headphone for gaming under $100.

As for Xpadder, it also has saved profiles. I have one set up just for Mass Effect.

I read 200 pages and almost all the reviews. That being said... wow. Now, for the answer and more questions:
A little background: I probably need a headphone that is all-round, can be good for ps4 use and pc use AND... it's easy to find in the USA (Chicago and Denver to be more precise!).
I do have a Dunu dn1000 and that's probably the quality I'm searching for: bought a few Square Enix games on psn ( which are on sale!) and wow, the quality of some of the intro music, specially Chrono Cross is... superb.
My first pick would be the Slyr, as it's the easiest to plug and unplug on my ps4/pc set and I presume can be easily found in any store.
But this ultrasone 15G picked my attention. Will it be horrible without amp? I don't think my friend (who's going to buy the fones) will find portable amps in a departament store or commom music store (he's no audiophile and probably lacks vocabulary, haha!).
In fact, I was surprised when he said that he could not find the Aurvanas!
Would the m50's be a good choice too? I have to give him a list of 5 headphones. The easiest one to find will probably be the "chosen one"!

Aug 8, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #25,236 of 48,578
I use my 15G out of a Zune HD and it sounds perfectly fine to me. I've used mine for about 6 years now and it has never skipped a beat. Only thing is that the pads will probably deteriorate in the 4th year or so depending on usage but the pads are $5 on ebay so I bought like 5 sets.

Aug 8, 2014 at 1:43 AM Post #25,237 of 48,578
4th year?
That's really nice to hear, specially because I'm a iem enthusiast and... these things only last for 2 years, at best!

Aug 8, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #25,238 of 48,578
I don't think my friend (who's going to buy the fones) will find portable amps in a departament store or commom music store (he's no audiophile and probably lacks vocabulary, haha!).

Can't he just... Order whatever headphone you want from Amazon? Best buy has only a few decent Sennheisers (HD558) and probably the SLYR, and maybe the new Denon's which are okay. Guitar center may have more potions, Apple Stores have Sennheiser Momentums and maybe the new Turtle Beach iSeries.

Aug 8, 2014 at 2:35 AM Post #25,239 of 48,578
Those actually don't look that bad.  Kind of Like supersized PX100s.

I didn't notice that you had reviewed them...I'll go read it... 

YOU NEED THIS. :D

For music, I prefer the PX100, but the 15G is MUCH more comfortable, and makes for a better gaming and movie headphone.

Aug 8, 2014 at 2:37 AM Post #25,240 of 48,578
As for the 15G, it doesn't need an amp per se, but it is pretty insensitive by design. As long as you can get an appreciable volume out of your sources, it's fine. I mainly say to get an amp just to have some headroom with volume.

Aug 8, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #25,241 of 48,578
I want to hear the differences between the xonar and creative for myself with regard to positional audio. The Asus is good but I'm anxious to hear if I prefer creative's implementation. I should have both cards by the time I get back from the Bahamas on the 12th. I'll do a day of testing and give some impressions.

Aug 8, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #25,243 of 48,578
I want to hear the differences between the xonar and creative for myself with regard to positional audio. The Asus is good but I'm anxious to hear if I prefer creative's implementation. I should have both cards by the time I get back from the Bahamas on the 12th. I'll do a day of testing and give some impressions.

You can hear the difference by watching the video that Chicolom posted a few pages back.  

Aug 8, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #25,244 of 48,578
Downloaded the BF4 trial on PS3. Still so... unresponsive. Way too spoiled by CoD.

Aug 8, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #25,245 of 48,578
Downloaded the BF4 trial on PS3. Still so... unresponsive. Way too spoiled by CoD.

It used to be even worse. The release version was literally unplayable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back