Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jun 11, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #24,061 of 48,578
PS3/4 can do that?

Jun 11, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #24,064 of 48,578

Sonny just before ordering saw that DG is a PCI card, dont have a PCI slot, have only PCIe. So the DGX which I read is equivalent to DG will really be the same? Should I go ahead and order the DGX?

Sonny, thanks for all your replies, I am now either buying 558 or may pick a used 598 from a friend who is thinking of selling them. It will cost the same to me, used 598 = new 558. I guess thats ok deal?

if you can get a HD 598 for the same price as a HD 558 then it's a no brainer, buy a used one and you can either clean the pads or replace them.

As for the sound card if it's for gaming only you can even use Asus U3 which is USB, it doesn't sound as good as the DG or DGX but it is good enough.

If you want to play high fidelity music as well these sound cards are good for the money, but in future you may want to upgrade to a DAC/AMP. For gaming though a cheap asus sound card with built in headphone amp is all you need.

I would also use the "unified drivers" from here

http://maxedtech.com/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/

the official drivers are rubbish

Jun 12, 2014 at 2:10 AM Post #24,065 of 48,578
Hey huys, have You seen Astro's E3 presentation. They've announced A50 usb wireless transmitter for about 40$. It has the same functionality as the existing one but it's usb only and cheaper.

Jun 12, 2014 at 5:06 AM Post #24,066 of 48,578
if you can get a HD 598 for the same price as a HD 558 then it's a no brainer, buy a used one and you can either clean the pads or replace them.

As for the sound card if it's for gaming only you can even use Asus U3 which is USB, it doesn't sound as good as the DG or DGX but it is good enough.

If you want to play high fidelity music as well these sound cards are good for the money, but in future you may want to upgrade to a DAC/AMP. For gaming though a cheap asus sound card with built in headphone amp is all you need.

I would also use the "unified drivers" from here

http://maxedtech.com/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/

the official drivers are rubbish

The Xonar U3 = external Xonar DG, FWIR. Not sure how correct that statement is, but signs point to it being true.

And Change, yes, hiatus. I have no desire to try/review any headphones up until I try the HE-400i. Someone could send me an SR009 and I still wouldn't want to try/review it. I'm not going to spend any money on this hobby for a good while. The HE-400i may or may not happen, leaning on WON'T.

Jun 12, 2014 at 7:59 AM Post #24,067 of 48,578
The Xonar U3 = external Xonar DG, FWIR. Not sure how correct that statement is, but signs point to it being true.

And Change, yes, hiatus. I have no desire to try/review any headphones up until I try the HE-400i. Someone could send me an SR009 and I still wouldn't want to try/review it. I'm not going to spend any money on this hobby for a good while. The HE-400i may or may not happen, leaning on WON'T.

http://techreport.com/review/21256/asus-xonar-u3-usb-audio-device/2

DG is better

Jun 12, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #24,068 of 48,578
Are the K702 65th Annie worth getting instead of the Q701 for gaming? I own the already. I play open word games and fps so I like immersive and spacious headphones that are nice and textured.

Jun 12, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #24,069 of 48,578
Are the K702 65th Annie worth getting instead of the Q701 for gaming? I own the already. I play open word games and fps so I like immersive and spacious headphones that are nice and textured.

You own what already?

In my personal opinion, the smooth headband and memory foam ear pads make the K702 Annie worth it to me over the Q701. I wasn't happy with the the bumpy headband on the Q701. The ear pads are a preference thing, but they're around $70 separately, so you might as well have them included. Blue is also my favorite color, so it was an obvious choice.

The Q701 can be found used for around $130 or $140 on the Amazon Warehouse. If you don't mind the headband, it's a very solid deal. If you picked up the memory foam pads later down the line, most people agree that you would have a headphone that sounds 99% like the Annies. 

Jun 12, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #24,071 of 48,578
  Yeah for blu-rays that are DTS only you can get Dolby Digital signals by selecting "bitstream mix" in the menu on the PS3/PS4. Im wondering if there is a similar option on the XBOX One...

I have never tried on mine, sorry.  I use an AVR so I'm fine with either.

Hey huys, have You seen Astro's E3 presentation. They've announced A50 usb wireless transmitter for about 40$. It has the same functionality as the existing one but it's usb only and cheaper.

I haven't but I'll check it out.  I'm not sure what you're talking about with the transmitter tho.  Is that like a replacement in case you lose or break the one that comes with the A50?  Cus that's a pretty niche product to get excited about.  I was hoping for a new wireless Mixamp...

Jun 12, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #24,072 of 48,578

I have never tried on mine, sorry.  I use an AVR so I'm fine with either.

I haven't but I'll check it out.  I'm not sure what you're talking about with the transmitter tho.  Is that like a replacement in case you lose or break the one that comes with the A50?  Cus that's a pretty niche product to get excited about.  I was hoping for a new wireless Mixamp...

It's more like a cheaper replacement, it does dolby digital over usb. Handy if you're a pc gamer

Jun 12, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #24,074 of 48,578

Anyone?

Not a lot of people in here with Xbox One as far as I know.  You might try asking over on the actual Xbox support forums?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back