Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 29, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #23,386 of 48,578
I feel bad for Change.  He really wanted the K612 to be the next FOTM, but it seems to be getting overshadowed by the K712.  Of course the K712 costs more than double and I suspect it doesn't sound more than twice as good.

Exactly it is important to realize that the K712 is even 3x more expensive (in Europe).
For $200 (same price for us Europeans) you're getting a hell of a headphone.
I still regard it as the best sounding headphone in the ~200$ price range. Neutral reference class that is.
Sure it's not perfect, but I don't feel like I am missing something which is impressive. It's also a great all-rounder.
It is also, however, very revealing and a bit picky! That's something people don't expect in that price range.
In case of K612 I wouldn't be ashamed to pay even 300$ for it... I think it absolutely trounces over most of the headphones <400$/500$.

Apr 29, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #23,387 of 48,578

I want the K612 to be the next FOTM myself as I feel the K712 is probably more than people are willing to pay. The K712 needs a more expensive/better system to make it sound noticeably better than the K612, otherwise it honestly doesn't really sound any better.

I'd like to see someone do a head to head of the modded Q701 and the K612.  The Q can be had for pretty cheap these days, and there are a lot of used ones floating about so you can save even more money.  I'm wondering which of these is the better choice overall given that the pricing is really close.  All other things equal, the Q701 has removable cable...

Apr 29, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #23,388 of 48,578
So I'm currently disappointed with the sound quality I'm getting from the DSS1 + Superlux 668b. I actually listened to some Schubert (my favourite piano trio, in B flat) on YT with nothing but headphones plugged directly into 3.5mm jack on PC and it sounded better than what my PS3 is outputting. I don't mind the treble of the Superlux... reminds me of my own (imperfect) violin playing back in the day :p.

I think I've been stupid. I think I've misunderstood suggestions, and that the DSS by itself is only for vss processing, not for amping (of any decent sound quality), and that I should get an actual bona fide amp. Can someone confirm this?

I'm thinking of the Schiit Magni. Since it's $100, I'll only get it if it will also power the harder to drive headphones (DT880, K701/702) for when I plan to upgrade. Will it?

PS: still not sure why the DSS light for DD is activating during SOTC.

Apr 29, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #23,389 of 48,578
  I'm thinking of the Schiit Magni. Since it's $100, I'll only get it if it will also power the harder to drive headphones (DT880, K701/702) for when I plan to upgrade. Will it?

Yep.  Enjoy!

Apr 29, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #23,390 of 48,578
I'd like to see someone do a head to head of the modded Q701 and the K612.  The Q can be had for pretty cheap these days, and there are a lot of used ones floating about so you can save even more money.  I'm wondering which of these is the better choice overall given that the pricing is really close.  All other things equal, the Q701 has removable cable...

Hopefully I'll find out. I still think the Q701 is a better value, in many ways a giant killer that sets the bar very high... but the K712 is a bit better, not a better value but it would be my desert island choice :)

I think I've misunderstood suggestions, and that the DSS by itself is only for vss processing, not for amping (of any decent sound quality), and that I should get an actual bona fide amp. Can someone confirm this?

PS: still not sure why the DSS light for DD is activating during SOTC.

Yes! The DSS is for processing. I guess you weren't here while we talked about "double" amping, but generally plugging a dedicated headphone amp into your source (DSS, Mixamp, iPod, etc) is recommended... I think that before you buy ANY headphone $150 and up, you should buy an amp. Pretty much any headphone scales up with amping, but higher end headphones (Mid-Fi +) really scale up and increase the difference between headphones.

The Magni is quite capable and has plenty of power for all but the very hardest to drive headphones, and is mostly pretty I colorless so it doesn't affect the "native" sound of a connected headphone. The Vali is similar priced, but better suited for headphones over 50 ohms (esp less sensitive headphones...), a good tube option. The Vali imparts a bit of the euphoric tube sound at a great price, the downside is that it's a poor choice to use with sensitive IEMs (ringing noise).

Apr 30, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #23,391 of 48,578
Ok so I received my Q701 and Essence STX sound card last night. Got everything together with no problem using the UNi drivers. I then put the headphone option on and clicked on dolby headphone, 6 channel and 44k. It is very very weird sounding. Like everything has an echo to it. Even in game voice it somewhat has an echo. I came from a gaming 7.1 headset and it is conpletely different. I am not sure if I like this dolby sound. Is it suppose to sound like that? I then switched it to Hi-Fi and it seems 10x better. Not sure if something is wrong or dolby always sounds echoed in game?

Apr 30, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #23,393 of 48,578
Ok so I received my Q701 and Essence STX sound card last night. Got everything together with no problem using the UNi drivers. I then put the headphone option on and clicked on dolby headphone, 6 channel and 44k. It is very very weird sounding. Like everything has an echo to it. Even in game voice it somewhat has an echo. I came from a gaming 7.1 headset and it is conpletely different. I am not sure if I like this dolby sound. Is it suppose to sound like that? I then switched it to Hi-Fi and it seems 10x better. Not sure if something is wrong or dolby always sounds echoed in game?

have you tried using the medium sized room setting ? usually dsp algorithms adds echo including Dolby headphone. Dolby Home Theater V4 is the only dsp algorithm I found which has minimum echoing compared to other algorithms .

Apr 30, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #23,395 of 48,578
have you tried using the medium sized room setting ? usually dsp algorithms adds echo including Dolby headphone. Dolby Home Theater V4 is the only dsp algorithm I found which has minimum echoing compared to other algorithms .

I set it to DH1, but that was after I played. Have yet to try it with DH1 as it was 1am last night and I wanted to get to bed. I think default it sets itself to DH2. I don't think this STX has the option of DHT V4 unless I am wrong. I am new to this dolby thing. I also have the onboard sound enabled as I use my 5.1 speakers sometimes. Not sure if that would have any affect on it? 

Apr 30, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #23,396 of 48,578
Apr 30, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #23,397 of 48,578
  I don't think this STX has the option of DHT V4 unless I am wrong.

STX only supports Dolby headphone. DHTv4 is the latest Dolby dsp algorithm, which is currently in Phoebus, U7. 

I also have the onboard sound enabled as I use my 5.1 speakers sometimes. Not sure if that would have any affect on it? 

don't worry. it shouldn't affect anything. 

Apr 30, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #23,398 of 48,578

Used to be something that bothered me a lot, so when I heard Creative's option I was overjoyed how natural it sounded by comparison. Now however, I can honestly say my brain adjusted, it's not that I ignore it now, I actually don't perceive echo while gaming anymore unless I just switched from my Recon3D to my DSS.

I never heard echoing with Creative's THX TruStudio Pro or SBX Pro Studio processing, it all seems to be a tonal and volume balance change that seems more realistic to me.

YAY!
Finally

?

Apr 30, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #23,399 of 48,578
Used to be something that bothered me a lot, so when I heard Creative's option I was overjoyed how natural it sounded by comparison. Now however, I can honestly say my brain adjusted, it's not that I ignore it now, I actually don't perceive echo while gaming anymore unless I just switched from my Recon3D to my DSS.
I never heard echoing with Creative's THX TruStudio Pro or SBX Pro Studio processing, it all seems to be a tonal and volume balance change that seems more realistic to me.
?

PS4 v1.70 :wink:
Should have quoted.

Also, I don't hear echo either. Ears and brain need some time to adjust :wink:

Apr 30, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #23,400 of 48,578
Is there a version without a video?  Better yet, just tell me if there's anything about 3d audio...

Video wasn't bad, nice British accent.
No "free" 3D audio mentioned, just some HDMI output options. Also stuff like you can use the touchpad as a cursor to type with, you can turn off HDCP while gaming, and there's a big new video clip editing suite (and you can export videos to USB flash sticks with FAT32 formatting).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back