Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 26, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #2,281 of 48,578
Fantastic thread, but as always so many opinions. . .

I am looking at getting a set of Beyerdynamics for gaming on 360/PS3, as well as some movies. They would be driven out of the (wired) Astro Mixamp.

I already have a pair of Senn PC350 which I use when online for the chat and precision, so I am looking for something more cinematic in the Beyers as opposed to competitive. I am not particularly concerned with neutrality, I want theater like impact particularly in the bass but ideally not at too much expense at the rest of the spectrum and the soundstage. Comfort is also important, I don't mind closed provided the pads are nice. I'd be willing to go as high price as the DT880.

So, DT770, 880, or 990? Pro or Premium, and what impedance (not interested in supplementing the Astro with any other amping)?

<edit> So after scanning through the thread in further detail I think I can safely remove the 880 from contention since this one is the more balanced offering. From the sound of things, the 990 is the way to go (don't mind open), but given that I don't feel like investing in further amping I should avoid the 600 ohm variant. The prices on the 990 pro are almost half the price of premium right now, but it's only available in 250 ohm. I think I would prefer the coiled cable, and the sonic differences seem debatable, hopefully the clamp won't hurt my +sized noggin too much? I have usually found headphones too loose for what it's worth. . .

Would the mix amp be able to drive the 250 ohm 990  ok (without any voice chat)? Or do I need to bite the bullet and pay the big difference for the 32 ohm premium?

Oct 27, 2011 at 9:57 AM Post #2,282 of 48,578
Well, I don't have exactly the same scenario, but I use the DT 990 Premium 250 ohm with wireless Astro Mixamp ... and they are driven just fine.  Can go much louder than I want to listen to and sound quality is great.

I strongly suspect the 990 Pro 250 ohm won't be a problem either.

Oct 27, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #2,283 of 48,578

Quote:
i like the wireless more, i need the extrabass and i like the more jacks it has. all i want to know is if i can save on the battery pack. if the rf receiver can be charged through a usb cable that ends in the power plug then i dont the battery, i have a plug next to where i will be sitting so it is good for me this way. i will have it plugged all the time...

Not sure if this was ever answered but the wireless mixamp 5.8 can definitely be powered by a USB cable alone, with no batteries in it at all.  I've only tried powering it using a ps3's USB socket but I imagine your adapter should work without issue.  

Oct 28, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #2,286 of 48,578
Well I decided to give the Turtle Beach headphones a go.  I went to BestBuy and picked up the PX5s, since the XP500 was not yet available, and I get the benefit of easy/instant return at BB.

The headphones themselves are fairly comfortable.  When I put them on my head, the earcups don't quite fully get around my ears, so there is a little contact between the edges of my ears and the inside rim of the pads.  However, over the past 2 days I wore them fairly extensively (probably 5+ continuous hours each day at least) and did experience any discomfort.  My ears got a little warm because they're a closed design, but it wasn't really an issue.  Comfort wise I think I could live with these headphones.  The only thing I could really see improving here are slightly bigger ear cups to remove any "ear contact" (but then they may be too big and not fit on my head well) and maybe a weight reduction.  They're not heavy, and I don't really notice.  The phones and the transmitter unit do feel a little cheap which is a slight letdown for a product that's this expensive.  I don't think it's going to break on me, but it definitely feels substantially cheaper than it costs.  Oh also the buttons on the headsets have a little "jiggle" to them, so if you shake your head you can hear the plastic buttons rattle, which is annoying.

Sound wise, my initial impressions were a little disappointing.  The first thing I noticed when I turned them on was that I could hear some hiss.  It wasn't really loud but it was definitely present and noticeable.  To test the performance, I first hooked it up to my 360.  I booted the console and navigated some of the menus to make sure it was working.  Admittedly, the first time I did this, I thought that I had not connected it properly because I heard the sound but it felt like it was coming from my TV speakers and not the headphones (which in reality was impossible since my TV speakers are set to 0 volume).  There was this strange "transparency" to the sound, most likely from the DH processing.   The first game I tried was Bioshock 2.  Playing through Bioshock 1 and 2 on my surround sound speakers (and in the dark) was a positively transforming experience, I think BS/BS2 has about the best sound I have ever heard in a game, both in the sounds themselves, and the surround sound immersing you in as you hear water splashing and trickling all around you.  Again I was pretty disappointed at the results with the PX5.  I got what seemed to be pretty severe distortion while playing the game.  And I mean pretty severe.  Action scenes were just a jumbled mess every time there was some kind of explosion or a gun firing.  I really don't remember it sounding that bad on my speakers, so I was a little let down.  I played some single player and also did a few rounds in multiplayer which is pretty rare for me.  Although for now I didn't bother hooking up the mic and testing that, just the sound from the headphones.

Next I popped in Forza 4, but only tried that briefly as there isn't as much surround/directionality in the game.  The third game I tried was Red Dead Redemption, another game which had pretty immersive and well-done sound in my opinion.  My experience with RDR was somehow quite a bit better than Bioshock 2, I didn't really notice any distortion in the sound.

After my experience with the games, I was a little let down.  I so wanted these headphones to work out well, but it seemed like they were not going to be a workable solution for me.

Next I hooked them up to my mac mini, via spdif.  I wanted to hear how bad the distortion was going to be from playing music, so I scrounged around in my music library for some examples.  Most of my music is ALAC, or high-bitrate MP3.  I tried to find some tracks with somewhat heavy bass to midbass content as I was trying to get the same frequencies as the action in Bioshock 2.  To my surprise, however, I didn't really notice any distortion.  The music was coming through pretty clean.  I tried hooking the headphones to my mac mini and ipod touch via bluetooth, and again I experienced no real distortion issues.

Then I wanted to test the wireless functionality at range, so I walked around my apartment.  My apartment's really small, but still when I got to the bathroom (maybe only 10-15 feet away but through a wall or two) the sound cut out.  The range definitely seems pretty limited, but at the same time my apartment is totally inundated with wifi routers (I can see probably like 15-20 router signals from my computer), so interference could be playing the bigger role here.  I think the 5.8GHz band of the Mixamp would fare a lot better in this situation.  Nevertheless, when sitting at my couch I didn't really experience any issue.  I did hear some pops/dropouts, but for the most part it worked okay.

Revisiting the hiss, in practice it has turned out to be a much less substantial issue than I originally thought.  Either other sounds quickly overpower it, or I mentally adjust and no longer really notice the hiss.  Especially if something is actually playing through the headphones.

I hooked my PC up to the base unit by running a long optical cable from my PC into the other room where the base unit was.  In the final setup, the transmitting base is basically just behind a wall from where I sit at my PC.  I didn't really experience transmission issues with the headphones when sitting at the PC.  I tried playing some Star Trek Online, and Starcraft 2.  Again, as with RDR, I did'nt really notice any sound distortion while playing these games.  I turn the music in STO off, and since parts of the game are very quiet with no music, I was able for the first time to actually hear the background hiss along with the game audio.  In starcraft 2 I didn't notice any hiss.  I tried to hook up the mic to my computer using bluetooth (my PC mobo has a built-in bluetooth adapter) abut while I was able to pair it to the PC, it was totally unusable due to extremely poor signal reception.  I suspect this is more a failing of bluetooth on my PC rather than a problem with the headset.  Bluetooth worked just fine on both my mac mini and ipod touch, and I had previously tried to connect a bluetooth mouse to my PC and experienced the similar problems (poor tracking indicative of extremely poor signal reception).  I guess the bluetooth antenna on my mobo backplate is just too constrained in terms of positioning (right next to a large noisy metal box full of electronics) to be of any practical value.  If I use the mic on my PC I'll need to run a cable from the headphones to the mic jack.

Finally I did some brief testing with a couple blu-rays.  As I suspected, one cannot hear blu-rays with these headphones if the audio track is DTS-MA, as the transmitter lacks the capability to decode DTS.  I had to change the audio output to simple stereo to hear anything there.  For Blu-rays with DD5.1, it works fine.  My blu-ray testing is less than rigorous since the only blu-rays I own are the BBC Natural History collection.  They have some blu-rays with DTS and some with DD5.1, but the sounds in these programs are pretty low key.  There is not too much use of surround, LFE, etc. mainly just narration and some background.  But using the headphones worked pretty good for the DD5.1 blu-ray I watched, and the sound was again fine (no distortions).  BTW the BBC natural history collections are fantastic, fantastic programs.

So what's the result so far?  I'm really torn.  I need to go back and do more testing on the 360, because that was where I heard the worst sound.  I am really not sure why the sound in Bioshock 2 was so bad.  Perhaps it was that I wasn't using the right headphone "preset" settings, since that was only about 10-15 minutes after I took the headphones out of the box.  Maybe the sound in Bioshock 2 really IS that bad, and using headphones just let me hear the flaws in the audio more clearly, maybe the frequency response of BS2 just happens to not match with the PX5 well?  Maybe I'm hearing compression due to the DD5.1 encoding, compared to the lossless PCM signal I use when listening to music, I really don't know.  I will need to test that game again, also more thoroughly test some other games I have.  Listening to music and other sources of audio seemed a lot better though, no real distortion problems.  Soundstage on the headphones feels pretty good though.  I am not hardcore into competitive FPS so I can't really say much about positional accuracy, but the "sound field" feels pretty good and is pretty immersive.  These are just amateur observations though since I am not really an expert on soundstage and have limited experience with other headphones by which to compare.

I am really rooting for these headphones, because as far as convenience and versatility, these headphones are exactly what I am looking for.  I was able to hook it up to all 3 devices I want to use, even get bluetooth functionality between it and my ipod touch, and the wireless reception seems pretty good for my particular setup, which arguably is a challenging enviroment given how many wifi signals are in my building.  Being totally wire-free is a HUGE plus for me.  I can't even imagine having to walk around with 10 feet of PC360 cable coiled up leading to a Y adapter and then into a mixamp receive dongle.  Sound-wise, I was initially very let down by my experience in bioshock 2, but after continued use I have been a lot more satisfied by the results.  The wireless connection seems pretty good, although somewhat limited on range.  I do get the occasional pop which is annoying.  I guess the bottom line is if these headphones, with what flaws they may have, are worth the $250, and can I look beyond the perceived flaws in audio quality in order to keep the excellent versatility/usability of these headphones?  There seem to be some definite drawbacks in quality, some aspects of the phones feel quite "chintzy" or cheap, and probably sound quality suffers somewhat (distortion, hiss) compared to more dedicated sets of heapdhones, but the package as a whole is pretty good.  I'm going to need to give them a little mroe time to make a final decision.  If these were say $150, I'd likely have no reservations about keeping them, but at $250, they may need to bring more to the table.

HOLY CRAP that was a LOT longer than I intended it to be.  Congrats for those of you who made it through the whole thing... :)

Ruahrc

Oct 28, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #2,287 of 48,578
Great review Ruahrc! 

When using the PX5s, did you have any issues with interference and lag when playing online games? There have been some that reported problems when playing on Xbox Live. I might be interested in picking up the PX5s for MW3. 

Oct 30, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #2,288 of 48,578
Haven't ran into any issues, but so fat only limited multiplayer testing.  I played a bunch of Star Trek Online and didn't notice any lag.  The brief bits of multiplayer Bioshock 2 didn't seem to have any lag either (or at least none that was clearly the fault of the headphones as opposed to general internet connectivity and the user-hosted connections of XBL games)

Oct 30, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #2,289 of 48,578
Hey,

I got a new PC a few months ago, and I'm ready to upgrade my sound system. My PC specs are below. I got the A40 Mixamp+headset a while ago, but I'm ready for an upgrade. I'm basically looking for a setup that works best for gaming, movies, and music. Gaming sound being the most important out of the 3. I'm starting to podcast, so I'd really like some input on some good microphones. I'll list what I'm looking for below.

Sound Card
I'm looking for a high quality sound card with a headphone amp I can use to power my headphones. I'll probably add a headphone amp like the suggested e9-10 at some point in the future. The best options at the moment seem to be between the ASUS Xonar Essence STX, and Auzentech X-Fi Hometheater HD. The ASUS card was build for stereo sound, is made with quality components with good isolation, and has Dolby Headphone. Its also powered by the power supply, and not the motherboard. The Auzentech doesn't come with Dolby Headphone, but generally has better overall features, especially for listen to movies. Its a hard choice to make, so it would be great to hear some opinions.

Headworn Microphone 
I'm also looking for high quality headworn microphone I can use to podcast and game with. It should have a 3.5mm mic input for the PC, and be able to fit under my headphones. My budget is between $100-200. Microphones seem to be the hardest to research on, since there is so little documentation.

Headphones 
I plan to get balanced headphones like the Beyerdynamics DT990 600ohm, since the score here seems to be the best out of all the options. I'm also interested if anyone could give feedback on the Beyerdynamic T1, and comment on if its better balanced than the DT990. Hopefully its 10/10 fun, and 9/10 competitive. I'd be willing to buy a used set if that were the case. 

headphone Amp
For headphone amps I'm looking at the Fiio E9-E10, as a lot of people have suggested. Unless someone has a different opinion these seem to be good enough for what I need. Maybe Auzentech Cappuccino Ex that's coming out this winter would be a good option.

Its been awhile I haven't posted here. I was one of the first individuals in North America to own a Philips SBC ATH1000 wired Dolby Headphone unit back in the day. I wonder if my old topic post is still on this forum. Wow posted in 2004:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/90618/dolby-headphone-solution-for-non-wireless-headphones

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF X EATX TOWER CASE
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68 DELUXE
Processor: INTEL CORE I7-2600K
Heatsink: NOCTUA NH-D14
Memory: G.SKILL RIPJAWS 16GB 4X4GB DDR3-1600
Video Cards: 2x ASUS GeForce GTX 580 Rog Matrix
SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 240GB
HD: WESTERN DIGITAL 2TB CAVIAR GREEN
DVD: LITEON IHBS112 12X BLU-RAY WRITER
Sound Card: On-Board Realtek HD Audio
triportsad.gif

Power Supply: CORSAIR 1200AX PROFESSIONAL GOLD SERIES

Oct 30, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #2,290 of 48,578
For games and movies, how is the A40 setup lacking? That Dolby mix ought to be great for both.

For recording, I remember the noobtoob podcasters using their A40 headsets to record some time back. Audio didn't suffer--just try it out first and see if you need something more.

Oct 30, 2011 at 8:14 PM Post #2,291 of 48,578
Hello all, first time poster here.

I've spent most of the weekend researching headphones/DACs/amps on this forum and other various sources. The primary use is going to be non-competitive gaming. I'm not a super serious music listener and I typically use my Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers for that. I suppose if the headphones sounded amazing enough I'd be willing to use them more in that regard. I'm currently using Sennheiser HD595s with no amp and a SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium.

I've pretty much decided on the Beyer Dynamic DT990 Premium 600 OHM headphones and ASUS Xonar STX for the DAC, but I'm still on the fence about the amp. I'm strongly considering the HiFiMan EF5, but I wanted to ask about something first. From what I've read it sounds like it's a solid amp that will mellow out the highs, bring out the mids, and tighten the bass; however, that's in regard to music. My question is how will this amp influence gaming sounds? Will the mellowing attributes of a tube amp negatively affect gaming? Would a more neutral amp be better?

Thanks in advance!

Oct 30, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #2,292 of 48,578
Hi lorek, I can't speak much about the 990 specifically since I tried them a long time ago, but you seem to be considering a bit of a contradiction:
You want to take the DT990, which is commonly said to have a V-shaped sound (recessed mids, boosted lows and highs), and pair it with an amp that will lower the highs, bring forward the mids, and control the bass better. That's akin to wanting, ultimately, a flatter sound signature. Why not just start with a more neutral headphone like the 880? 

Oct 30, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #2,293 of 48,578
That's originally the headphone I was going with, but then I read about the 5-7 o'clock "blind spot" on the 880s and the wider soundstage on the 990s. Don't get me wrong, I actually like a V-shaped curve, but from most accounts the highs are too harsh on the 990 and I would like to mellow them a bit. Though admittedly I haven't listened to them so who knows!

Quote:
Hi lorek, I can't speak much about the 990 specifically since I tried them a long time ago, but you seem to be considering a bit of a contradiction:
You want to take the DT990, which is commonly said to have a V-shaped sound (recessed mids, boosted lows and highs), and pair it with an amp that will lower the highs, bring forward the mids, and control the bass better. That's akin to wanting, ultimately, a flatter sound signature. Why not just start with a more neutral headphone like the 880? 

Oct 30, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #2,294 of 48,578
Well, I've gamed non-competitively on my 880 for about a year now and I haven't found the "blind spot" to be a bother--in fact I don't notice it, which is probably why I'll never be able to go pro, haha! There's enough bass in the 880, and if anything, you could always run it through a cheap DJ mixer (like I do, with my Xbox) if you want to fiddle with EQ knobs. I did for a bit. Now I just can't be bothered and leave it flat.

In the end, though, if you're just playing for fun--whether online or offline--I don't think you need to splurge a whole lot on amazing headphones. Was just at a LAN shop yesterday playing MW2, and their cheap Logitech headset (looked like this one) was just fine for locating people running nearby. If you do spend, the reviews here and elsewhere on the 'Net would suggest a good decoder is more important, such as the Ear Force DSS or Astro MixAmp.

Oct 30, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #2,295 of 48,578

Quote:
Hello all, first time poster here.
I've spent most of the weekend researching headphones/DACs/amps on this forum and other various sources. The primary use is going to be non-competitive gaming. I'm not a super serious music listener and I typically use my Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers for that. I suppose if the headphones sounded amazing enough I'd be willing to use them more in that regard. I'm currently using Sennheiser HD595s with no amp and a SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium.
I've pretty much decided on the Beyer Dynamic DT990 Premium 600 OHM headphones and ASUS Xonar STX for the DAC, but I'm still on the fence about the amp. I'm strongly considering the HiFiMan EF5, but I wanted to ask about something first. From what I've read it sounds like it's a solid amp that will mellow out the highs, bring out the mids, and tighten the bass; however, that's in regard to music. My question is how will this amp influence gaming sounds? Will the mellowing attributes of a tube amp negatively affect gaming? Would a more neutral amp be better?
Thanks in advance!

If you hook up an external amplifier (HiFiMan EF5) to the RCA outputs of the Essence STX, you will bypass advance audio processing of the Essence STX and you will only get a really nice sounding stereo 2.0 sound.
Better to upgrade the 3 op-amps of the Essence STX and use it's built in amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back