Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 10, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #22,816 of 48,578
Does anyone know where I could get a Victor SU-DH1? I've been down the Astro Mixamp lane and I think the audio quality of the AM is terrible.

You're better off finding an older Marantz or Harman Kardon receiver with Dolby Headphone.

The SU-DH1 may not hiss, but it's internal amp thins up the sound a bit. I find the Mixamp to sound better, with the exception of hiss. The SU-DH1's best thing is the ability to decode DTS (though the PS4 now has settings to output Dolby for everything), and that it can do DH-1, and DH-3 (whereas the Mixamps and most other similar devices do DH-2 only. DH-1 sounds more refined and less processed, but noticeably smaller soundstage. It's like stereo headphones with Dolby Headphone positional cues, whereas DH-2 sounds like a virtual room of speakers. DH-3 just sounbds like a mess of processing.

Apr 10, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #22,817 of 48,578
The sound is harsh. rough, and congested compared to your typical standalone audiophile equipment. The spatial processing is very good, but the actual sound quality of the amp and DAC are poor from my experience.

Also, I game on PC and have a standalone mic.

Ah okay. For me the mixamp seems to be sufficient for my needs in terms of console and PC gaming as well as audio quality (at least for now). You might have to do some digging to get a SU-DH1 as I can't find one for sale at it's original price after a quick search.

Apr 10, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #22,818 of 48,578
640px-Aladdin-disneyscreencaps.com-5032.jpg

I was just saying about how it seemed a good way to go!
You mentioned doubt and then this happens. Look what you've done!

Wow! Two really funny posts in one day? You're on a roll! You can't ignore the doubt when you're making a purchase. Conflicting opinions on the internet can definitely make it even more difficult to settle on one sure thing. From what I see, however, the X1 is definitely a very solid and common choice and seems to be really well rated and received. Of course, if you concentrate on the doubt and conflicting opinions, it will really mess with your ability to make a good decision.

Apr 10, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #22,819 of 48,578
The sound is harsh. rough, and congested compared to your typical standalone audiophile equipment. The spatial processing is very good, but the actual sound quality of the amp and DAC are poor from my experience. I also do not want the massive cluster of wires that comes along with having the device hooked up.

Also, I game on PC and have a standalone mic.

Dude, if you game on PC, don't use the Mixamp. AT cheapest, get a Xonar U3. If you have an optical dac (cheapest being a Fiio D03k), you can completely bypass the Xonar's amp and dac, and just send the Dolby Headphone signal to your own amp/dac. I have one, and I send the signal to my Fiio E17 amp/dac (which has an optical input). Sounds great, and the U3 is hella cheap.

It's not worth spending more on a better pc device, since you only need it to send the signal to your own amp/dac. U3 is a perfect choice.

I really need to add it to my guide.

Apr 10, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #22,820 of 48,578
Okay thanks for clarifying. I wasn't sure if you were making a good point or insulting me because I am new here (saldy, I assumed the latter). I definitely get that PayPal is kind of like a "You can trust me" badge around here because of the insurance on both ends. Sadly I am under 18 (I was hoping you'd figure that out), so I can't sign up for a Paypal account legally and can risk having my account frozen if I do sign up. I hadn't known anything about PayPal (not even the insurance) until a couple of days ago. I turned to Head-Fi to get advice on the matter of buying some good audio gear, however, when it comes to buying used items that are expensive to begin with when I'm in a different country, I'm slightly hesitant because it's such a huge purchase compared to the other headphones I have bought and I don't want anything to go wrong. Without the Paypal, I have no backup plan so I have to buy new off amazon and such where I do have a backup plan with my method of purchase. When I said I want a good deal, I was simply referring to the little bit off the new price for it being used and not to the extent of paying ~$150 for a $250 pair of headphones. I have lots of experience with selling locally and know the importance of getting a fair amount of money for an item. I would prefer to make my first somewhat expensive purchase for audio gear a good experience and free of hiccups. In the end, I will be buying the X1 either local if they are used or off amazon if they are new.

I signed up for Paypal at 16, and then just changed my birthdate to my real one when I did finally turn 18.

(they just cared about the money they were getting because of my ebay account).

It's definitely possible to probably get one, or get one in your parent's name if you can.

Apr 10, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #22,821 of 48,578
Wow! Two really funny posts in one day? You're on a roll! You can't ignore the doubt when you're making a purchase. Conflicting opinions on the internet can definitely make it even more difficult to settle on one sure thing. From what I see, however, the X1 is definitely a very solid and common choice and seems to be really well rated and received. Of course, if you concentrate on the doubt and conflicting opinions, it will really mess with your ability to make a good decision.

I'm not too put off really, just wanted to make the joke (which I've updated with another pic). The two I'm torn between are the Mixamp and the Recon 3D. I think I'll try the Mixamp, and down the road, if curiosity gets the better of me I'll consider the Recon 3D. That is unless something better comes out in the meantime. In all honesty, I plan more purchases than I execute due to not having the cash.

Apr 10, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #22,822 of 48,578
  I'm not too put off really, just wanted to make the joke (which I've updated with another pic). The two I'm torn between are the Mixamp and the Recon 3D. I think I'll try the Mixamp, and down the road, if curiosity gets the better of me I'll consider the Recon 3D. That is unless something better comes out in the meantime. In all honesty, I plan more purchases than I execute due to not having the cash.

Not sure where you live, but I stumbled across a Recon for $5 at Fry's (in -store).  They had two so I bought em both.  Haven't regretted it yet.

Even if you can't get one for that cheap, there's something to be said for the price difference between a Recon ($70) and a Mixamp ($130)... especially if you prefer the THX sound processing.

Apr 10, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #22,823 of 48,578

I do the same thing all the time. I'll be pushing my limits on money with the X1 and Boom Pro. Since I just dropped $1400 on a new gaming PC (custom built), I probably shouldn't bother with the Recon3D if I already have the mixamp. Also, Mad Lust Envy, do you know if the Recon3D has an actual 3D (up and down as well as all around) output as opposed to the 2D sound that the mixamp outputs (just all around).

Edit: If this is a really dumb question, please let me know. I have no clue what I'm talking about :p

Apr 10, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #22,824 of 48,578

Not sure where you live, but I stumbled across a Recon for $5 at Fry's (in -store).  They had two so I bought em both.  Haven't regretted it yet.

Even if you can't get one for that cheap, there's something to be said for the price difference between a Recon ($70) and a Mixamp ($130)... especially if you prefer the THX sound processing.

I've watched some videos that demonstrate some of the virtual surround technologies, but I find it very different watching compared to when I'm in control and reacting to the cues. I would like to try them all eventually but at the moment I'm slightly more curious to try DH given its popularity.

Apr 10, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #22,825 of 48,578
I do the same thing all the time. I'll be pushing my limits on money with the X1 and Boom Pro. Since I just dropped $1400 on a new gaming PC (custom built), I probably shouldn't bother with the Recon3D if I already have the mixamp. Also, Mad Lust Envy, do you know if the Recon3D has an actual 3D (up and down as well as all around) output as opposed to the 2D sound that the mixamp outputs (just all around).

Edit: If this is a really dumb question, please let me know. I have no clue what I'm talking about
tongue.gif

I think the Nameless guide and Evshrug's guide are good places for this info.  The short answer is that anything with Dolby Headphone won't give you 3D.  You won't be getting 3D out of any console-based device like the Mixamp or Recon.  Some sound cards can do 3D and it's rumored that the PS4 will be able to do 3D at some point (the hardware is there, just not the software).

You're also limited by whether or not the game is providing the 3D cues.  My understanding is that many games don't bother since most people aren't setup to hear them.

Apr 10, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #22,826 of 48,578
Dude, if you game on PC, don't use the Mixamp. AT cheapest, get a Xonar U3. If you have an optical dac (cheapest being a Fiio D03k), you can completely bypass the Xonar's amp and dac, and just send the Dolby Headphone signal to your own amp/dac. I have one, and I send the signal to my Fiio E17 amp/dac (which has an optical input). Sounds great, and the U3 is hella cheap.

It's not worth spending more on a better pc device, since you only need it to send the signal to your own amp/dac. U3 is a perfect choice.

I really need to add it to my guide.

I came across the Asus Xonar U3 while researching alternatives for laptop use.  Shortly after that I acquired the Asus Xonar U7.

I like both and would have zero qualms about recommending either (depending on scenario of course).  I primarily use the U7 on my laptop paired with AKG K712 Pro.

And yes, you definitely should add the U3 to your guide .... and the U7 while you're at it.  It would have saved me (and it's all about me right?  right?! ;->) so much time when I was researching headphones and surround sound processors for laptop use!

Since we're all talking about itches ...

While I'm thoroughly enjoying laptop -> U7 -> K712 for the past couple of months, I find myself reading about Project Ember (oooohhhh shiny).  And wondering what a good DAC pairing would be????  Then I have to remind myself one step at a time.

Which leads me right back to thinking on Laptop -> U7 -> DAC -> Project Ember -> K712 .... and somewhere in there I have to try a good pair of closed headphones to complement my open ones (believe Change recommended the Shure 1540).  And now my portable solution is lackluster AND vmoda released the XS .... sigh

Apr 10, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #22,827 of 48,578
The Recon 3D is like the Mixamp in that it takes in a Dolby Digital 5.1 signal. You can't get vertical positional cues from something deisgned to give horizontal speaker cues. For vertical audio placement, that's PC gaming territory, and that's something that seems to be limited to much older games, with some algorithms no longer used, etc. Nameless knows a lot more about that.

Apr 10, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #22,828 of 48,578

I think the Nameless guide and Evshrug's guide are good places for this info.  The short answer is that anything with Dolby Headphone won't give you 3D.  You won't be getting 3D out of any console-based device like the Mixamp or Recon.  Some sound cards can do 3D and it's rumored that the PS4 will be able to do 3D at some point (the hardware is there, just not the software).

You're also limited by whether or not the game is providing the 3D cues.  My understanding is that many games don't bother since most people aren't setup to hear them.

I seem to remember the marketing blurb for the Recon claimed it had 3D positioning (including above and below) but as you say, I wouldn't have thought the cues were in the software, so I wrote it off as advertising fluff.

With that I'm off to bed.

Apr 10, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #22,829 of 48,578
I believe that if you use the Recon with USB from a PC, it can.  If you use it with Optical from a console, it can't.

Apr 10, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #22,830 of 48,578
Yes, that's if you go deep into game's settings, and do some workaround, etc. I certainly don't have time for that, and FWIR, most new games don't even support it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back