Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 28, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #22,171 of 48,578
Not sure if those are all Sony first party game... But yes, be skeptical is the right thing to do, they don't owe us anything and must show the device's worth by its own merit.

I'm on the optimist side seeing game like KZSF and Infamous SS so early in this generation.

Mar 28, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #22,172 of 48,578
Games, I have high hopes for, that I never fear for when it comes to Sony consoles. They always have amazing first party titles.

Mar 28, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #22,173 of 48,578
I've not done research on the Morpheus, but if they are following the same route as Oculus, it would be a 1080p screen with each perspective rendered on either half of the screen and that focused with optics towards the eye. So in terms of resolution and frames per second it shouldn't make a difference.

What I don't know is how intensive the calculations are for rendering the scene twice are (thus having to calculate differences in lighting between the position of each eye, rendering objects twice from different perspectives etc). One of the issues that has faced the development of Oculus is latency. So if the PS4's processor cannot calculate fast enough the experience will be poor.

I think we'll just have to wait and see.

Mar 28, 2014 at 1:52 AM Post #22,174 of 48,578
The broadcast was fun guys! Evs, don't forget to follow me. Also,,I tried to catch your stream, just now, on my nexus 5 before going to sleep but you shut down right when I joined.

And you follow me too, Mad! I already subscribed to your channel, but I see you mostly play during the day?

Mar 28, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #22,175 of 48,578
Yeah, i play during the morning, sleep during the afternoon, work at night. :frowning2: can't say i have much time to watch streams, though I'll try it next time.

Mar 28, 2014 at 2:16 AM Post #22,176 of 48,578
Hey guys,

I was about to return my Skullcandy PLYR1 to Amazon, when it occurred to me that the price is now $50 more than I got it for.  I decided to try reselling them here at what I paid ($140 after tax + buyer pays shipping) to give someone a good deal on some decent gaming cans.  The classified is up if anyone is interested.

Mar 28, 2014 at 2:20 AM Post #22,177 of 48,578
Tyll at Innerfidelity gave a pretty favorable review of the newer Skullcandy Crusher. That frequency response of the drivers themselves are almost reference level type tuned, though with a very humongous dip at around 8khz which then spikes back up to be even with the mids at 10khz.

I demoed these at Best Buy, and I really liked them. I was just scared of the battery usage of their patent bass driver thing, which seems to have been for nothing as it apparently lasts 40 hours on a single AAA battery. The older Skullcrusher (a horrible, horrible headphone) ate batteries like tic tacs and just sounded wrong in every way.

I really liked the feeling of bass, and that the vibration is adjustable.

Maybe I'll get them for movies and the like.

Mar 28, 2014 at 2:31 AM Post #22,178 of 48,578
@Mad Lust Envy I watched your Youtube video on the V-moda Boom pro mic yesterday. Thought, ooh, that looks really cool as it would enable me to use a mic with my AKG's. Sadly my AKG's use a mini XLR :frowning2:

It seems I always have this kind of thing happen to me (owning something that is incompatible with something that would resolve a problem for me). I'm waiting on the Modmic v4, but where I live it will probably cost nearly the price of the mic itself to get it over to me. There always seems to be a hurdle to be got over. Would be nice if someone simply made a headset that ticks the boxes including sound quality.

Mar 28, 2014 at 2:35 AM Post #22,179 of 48,578
Perhaps you can find someone to make a 3.5mm to AKG-specific mini-XLR (i believe the wires are different from typical mini-XLR) adapter. Like a barrel with both ends, so that you can connect the Boompro to the adapter, and the adapter to your AKg headphones.

That'd be nice.

Mar 28, 2014 at 2:35 AM Post #22,180 of 48,578
  @Mad Lust Envy I watched your Youtube video on the V-moda Boom pro mic yesterday. Thought, ooh, that looks really cool as it would enable me to use a mic with my AKG's. Sadly my AKG's use a mini XLR :frowning2:

It seems I always have this kind of thing happen to me (owning something that is incompatible with something that would resolve a problem for me). I'm waiting on the Modmic v4, but where I live it will probably cost nearly the price of the mic itself to get it over to me. There always seems to be a hurdle to be got over. Would be nice if someone simply made a headset that ticks the boxes including sound quality.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the new Audio Technica ones sound.  I suspect they will be pretty popular.

Mar 28, 2014 at 2:40 AM Post #22,181 of 48,578
Perhaps you can find someone to make a 3.5mm to AKG-specific mini-XLR (i believe the wires are different from typical mini-XLR) adapter. Like a barrel with both ends, so that you can connect the Boompro to the adapter, and the adapter to your AKg headphones.

That'd be nice.

That's what I mean about hurdles. Why can't life be simple? lol.

Mar 28, 2014 at 2:47 AM Post #22,182 of 48,578
Man... if you can find someone to do that.... it opens up a world of possibilities as far as Boompro enabled headphones go.

K612
K702
Q701
Annie
K712
K812

I'd be down for a lot of these as gaming headsets.

So I went and splurged on the Skullcandy Crusher. :rolleyes:

it's about the closest thing I've heard that reminded me a lot of the 'feeling' of bass that the D7000 gave me. For $100, can't complain. I had $40 credit on Paypal, so no biggie.

Even has a detachable cable, so Boompro might work.

Mar 28, 2014 at 2:47 AM Post #22,183 of 48,578
The broadcast was fun guys! Evs, don't forget to follow me. Also,,I tried to catch your stream, just now, on my nexus 5 before going to sleep but you shut down right when I joined.

And you follow me too, Mad! I already subscribed to your channel, but I see you mostly play during the day?

Oh I thought you were going to sleep

Mar 28, 2014 at 2:59 AM Post #22,184 of 48,578
Not sure why but I don't always get notified of replies.

I've been looking at everything and anything but haven't made up my mind what I should upgrade to. I've recently been looking at the Steelseries H wireless as it seems to do everything and I've never tried wireless before. But it's a lot of cash and I've heard mixed opinions. Generally it seems when compared to gaming headsets it is among the best in terms of audio quality, but next to headphones...

I think I'll most likely go with headphones and some kind of mic solution, but I'm also not sure what I want to do in terms of audio processing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back