Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 16, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #19,021 of 48,565
  This question is for Mad Lust Envy or anyone else with some insight, I want to buy some nice headphones for gaming on my PS4.  I will be playing at night so I cannot have something loud as to where it will wake the baby either.  The room I will be playing in is about 12 feet or so away from where the baby will be.  I have been thinking of getting the Beyerdynamic DT 990 with the Fiio E17 but I don't know if that's really ideal given they are open and the sound leakage and if I will potentially wake others up in the house.  I appreciate your help, thanks!

Only 12 feet from baby.
Might be better in vest in some "thin skinned" closed headphones.

Dec 16, 2013 at 3:30 AM Post #19,023 of 48,565
So... it's December 15th.

I turned 31. So in order to celebrate, I'll be putting up 31 new reviews in the near future....

Okay, maybe it's more like 3.1 reviews. :D

Woo WHOOO! Congrats on surviving and being only 4 years apart from my age. Hope you solve all those tech dilemmas and enjoy the incoming headphones!

I'm all for some more BL2. I'm free tonight around 11ish. Break the seal on multiplayer gaming with the HD650s and try out the DX mic. I was very impressed with MLE's sound for the price, so let's see if I too drew the lucky straw on quality.

The mic you used sounded great. I have no idea how I sounded to you, sitting back in my chair with the mic on top of my monitor. It is a convenient/relaxed way to play though.
I think I'll be a goof and get another AKG model to try out. I really must sell something though.

Do you believe the Geek Pulse is the Real Deal? quite expensive, haven't heard much improvement after good $100 things, and speaking of that price point apparently the Dragonfly has had it's price lowered to just $99, people were very impressed with that DAC. The Pulse seems like overkill... but still, I'm tempted. I like the Crossfade option on my E12 when I just wanna relax with my music, I bet the Geek's cheesily-named "awesomifyer" is just a hardware crossfeed with a little EQ to "relax" the presentation to a darker, more laid-back FR.

This question is for Mad Lust Envy or anyone else with some insight, I want to buy some nice headphones for gaming on my PS4.  I will be playing at night so I cannot have something loud as to where it will wake the baby either.  The room I will be playing in is about 12 feet or so away from where the baby will be.  I have been thinking of getting the beyerdynamic dt 990 with the fiio e17 but I don't know if that's really ideal given they are open and the sound leakage and if I will potentially wake others up in the house.  I appreciate your help, thanks!

Here, let me give you an idea of what an "open" headphone sounds like in comparison to some small speakers:

[Video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53t_8UrB9xg[/Video]

Dec 16, 2013 at 5:08 AM Post #19,024 of 48,565
If you're only using 2 sources, this will work perfectly and for about $8. If you're using 3 or more, it's more budget friendly to use a remote based system. But automatic switchers can be found for $250 and up. The issue with automatic toslink switchers is the fact that optical doesn't carry current like other cables. That makes the switcher much more expensive because it needs optical sensors and circuitry rather than a simple current detector like automatic HDMI switches.

I owned two of those, and both of them didn;t work properly. This is why optical switchers are something I'm completely against. I also owned two of the manual knob switchers, and both oif them also didn't work properly.

0 for 4 is enough for me to not ever waste more cash to get a working unit. I'll stick to just swapping the cables out on the Mixamp. :frowning2:

Thanks guys. :)

I spent the day.... sleeping and testing out dxtory for fps limiting, lol.

Dec 16, 2013 at 5:56 AM Post #19,025 of 48,565
happy birthday bud! ive been enjoying bf4 on the ps4 with the mmx-300's. sound whoring at its finest! sorry to hear about your conroller.... i am still hoping to try out the ath-ad1 and see how it compares. any chance they will send you a pair to review?

Dec 16, 2013 at 6:16 AM Post #19,026 of 48,565
yeah, I still have the MMX-300 as well. Still wondering why they don't get a non-headset release seeing how boomy the other DT770s get in the bass or sibillant in the highs. This is clearly their best DT770. I love the bass extension. Check out the Head-fi test wavs and see for yourself. The Mixamp unfortunately has a low frequency cutoff. On my DAC there's only the headphones own limit. 

Dec 16, 2013 at 7:02 AM Post #19,027 of 48,565
Pretty sure the MMX300 is one of the 32ohm DT770s. beyerdynamic is inconsistent with their sound signatures, as there have been 32ohm 770s with balanced signatures, and ones with a lot of bass. Not to mention my overly bassy 600ohm...

Dec 16, 2013 at 7:12 AM Post #19,028 of 48,565
I owned two of those, and both of them didn;t work properly. This is why optical switchers are something I'm completely against. I also owned two of the manual knob switchers, and both oif them also didn't work properly.

0 for 4 is enough for me to not ever waste more cash to get a working unit. I'll stick to just swapping the cables out on the Mixamp.
frown.gif

Thanks guys.
smily_headphones1.gif

I spent the day.... sleeping and testing out dxtory for fps limiting, lol.

I'm using http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-102946-Optical-TosLink-Bi-Directional/dp/B0097IWZRC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1387195908&sr=8-3&keywords=toslink+switch

and have had zero issues with it.  Only downside is that it's annoying to switch due to the release/locking mechanism.  Don't really have to use it as much anymore though due to gaming mostly on the PC, but you don't need anything expensive to have functionality.  What you probably want to stay away from though are the type that look like they are just plug and forget.  You need one with some kind of selector.  I also only paid around $5 when I bought mine.

Dunno though, if you have your Mixamp in an area where you would have had a switcher anyway, all this would do is save you a little cable management.  I'm using an infrared Pioneer box for my gaming consoles, and the switch actually works as a toslink extender too, or else I'd need to buy three 8 foot cables.

Dec 16, 2013 at 7:21 AM Post #19,029 of 48,565
I owned one of those, as well as a black one. Both didn't work right.

Dec 16, 2013 at 8:28 AM Post #19,030 of 48,565
Pretty sure the MMX300 is one of the 32ohm DT770s. beyerdynamic is inconsistent with their sound signatures, as there have been 32ohm 770s with balanced signatures, and ones with a lot of bass. Not to mention my overly bassy 600ohm...

I had 2 32 Ohm Editions, one of them them LE and two MMX 300 2013. They are not the same to me. LE and regular 32 Ohm are noticably boomier in bass Both MMX 300 need 45 at my volume dial contrary to the 32 Ohms that need far less (25-30)

Dec 16, 2013 at 8:43 AM Post #19,031 of 48,565
  What should I be pairing with q701's  that will be used on my PC and absolutely nothing else? I have nothing but onboard sound currently.

I asked this recently.

Get a Xonar soundcard. Anything from the DGX to STX, depending on how much you want to spend. Then hook that up to a Schiit Magni amp. You can get both from Amazon/Newegg.

EDIT - Actually, if you are getting a Schiit Magni, make sure you are either getting a soundcard with an RCA output or know that you may also need to get a 3.5MM to RCA adapter if the soundcard does not have RCA out.

Dec 16, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #19,032 of 48,565
I had 2 32 Ohm Editions, one of them them LE and two MMX 300 2013. They are not the same to me. LE and regular 32 Ohm are noticably boomier in bass Both MMX 300 need 45 at my volume dial contrary to the 32 Ohms that need far less (25-30)

Like I said, inconsistent drivers. You just didn't get a premium DT770 that sounded like the MMX300. They are out there. Again, the MMX300 doesn't just have one sound either.

There have been both bass heavy MMX300 and bass light/balanced.

Dec 16, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #19,033 of 48,565
Spent a bit of time last night playing Borderlands 2 with Evshrug. I have to say that I really enjoy my new combo: Mac>Recon3D>E12>HD650 w/ DX mic. The grouping of those together was excellent. Really fun headphone with a very impressive portable amp. I actually prefer this combo to gaming than when I had the Schiit Vali. Partially because it's portable and partially because I'm coming to realize I prefer SS signatures to tube. That's probably why I like my T1. Sure it has a tube DAC, but the amp is SS.

Ev, not once did I have an issue hearing what you were saying with the mic on the monitor. You sounded pretty metallic and hollow. Your voice had more body the first time we played. That said, it didn't sound any worse than some cheap gaming headset mics out there.

Dec 16, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #19,034 of 48,565
Didn't mean to keep us up so late, but much fun was being had!

It's pretty cool the mic was at least clear, since I didn't do any prep we basically had a worst-case scenario for the mic... though they advertise it being a little better.

Also, three words:

Mac Pro.

HNNNNNNNNNGH!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back