Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 13, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #18,931 of 48,562
Well I'm not sure if the D600 will be for me or not...but in that same price-range I can get into Orthos via modded F50RP's.

I'm torn between the Mad Dog's for $299 w/alpha pads: https://www.mrspeakers.com/MrSpeakers-Mad-Dog-Alpha-Pad-Fostex-T50RP-headphone

Lot's of love and reviews here...I have been told not to expect D2000 bass then some say it's so much better. I am a bass head but I appreciate good, fluid, bass. It doesn't need to rattle my brains but when I want lots of it I want it on demand. I have read more than a few times that these are claimed to be the best closed headphone for under $300-500.

Next, I found mayflour electornics V3... which they told me if I wanted skull shaking bass was my best choice, in their lineup. https://www.mayflowerelectronics.com/store/p12/Fostex_T50RP_-_Version_3.html

Without them gluing the SRH-840 pads on, and ordering some Alpha Pads (fwir this is worth it), they'll be the same price as the mad dogs.

Anyone have experience with both? Either? vs. D2000? There's a great review of the Mad Dogs and gaming, especially with Borderlands 2. I love that game! And BF series, right now I'm playing X3 and Evochron Mercenary.

Dec 13, 2013 at 5:18 AM Post #18,932 of 48,562
Mad Dog 3.2 has probably my fave bass quality out of any headphone I've tried outside of the LCD2/HE400. It's mildy emphasized over the mids, by a smidge, but it's full, without missing any detail. It's absolutely fantastic. If you're a basshead, it may not be as pronounced as you'd like. Basically, if you feel the HE-400/LCD2 don't have enough bass, the Mad Dog won't either. Better off finding something notably bassy. I'm sorry but being a basshead and being into refined bass doesn't exactly meet halfway. The closest thing to that would be the X1, but then it's an open headphone. That or the D7000, which is rare and expensive.

Better bass =/= more bass

Which may be why you're conflicted. there is difference between quality and quantity, and finding the middle ground is the issue. The D600 has way too much bass, and way too much treble. I prefer the CAL over the D600, which had some metallic treble, and notably recessed mids.

I am a bass head but I appreciate good, fluid, bass. It doesn't need to rattle my brains but when I want lots of it I want it on demand.

You can't have good, fluid, bass as well as LOTS of it. That is a contradiction. You have to make a choice. That simple.

I'd still say to go for the Mad Dog, and if you don't like it, you have that gracious return period. If the bass doesn't satisfy you, then just get a basshead headphone, end of story.

Dec 13, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #18,933 of 48,562
Decided to bite the bullet on AKG Q701s as my first nice pair of headphones. Per the guide they're great for gaming and I hear they're kinda semi-closed, which is good for keeping my wife sane.

To drive these and get virtual surround, along with voice, I am thinking of getting:

1) Astro Mixamp Pro: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826306006

2) FiiO e17:  http://www.amazon.com/Fiio-E17-USB-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B0070UFMOW/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1386945430&sr=1-1&keywords=FiiO+e17

3) AntLion Modmic

Is this all I'll need to work these headphones on a PC?

My motherboard is the ASRock Extreme7 Gen3: http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z68%20Extreme7%20Gen3/?cat=Specifications. It has S/PDIF and supports onboard 7.1 with the Realtek ALC892 Audio Codec (would this mean I don't need the Mixamp?)

Dec 13, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #18,934 of 48,562
No. No. No. The Q701 is open. This talk of semi-open, semi-closed is absolute nonsense. The Q701 leaks. If she's in the same room, she will hear it.

Dec 13, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #18,935 of 48,562
No. No. No. The Q701 is open. This talk of semi-open, semi-closed is absolute nonsense. The Q701 leaks. If she's in the same room, she will hear it.

I admit I was confused by the application of "semi-open" to the Q701s, but I read it a few different places. 

Ok, so they're open. Wife and I have a little overlap in the time we're in the same room while I'm gaming, but not much. I'm going to give them a shot and see how it goes.

Problem is I have very little basis for understanding how much sound escapes from an open headphone. People on the headphones subreddit told me to just leave my G35 playing on my desk and that would be a good comparison. Others have said it's just like having desktop speakers playing. Given that these people are audiophiles, I'm surprised at how wildly different those comparisons are.

If the Q701s don't work out, I'll find a closed set. You like the Mad Dogs, but man are they ugly. 

Dec 13, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #18,936 of 48,562
To get a general idea as to what a fully open headphone sounds like, hold a full sized headphone in the air with the cups spread apart. Hold it out in front of you. Does the sound playing bother you? That's as much as an open headphone leaks at it's worst. Granted, the Q701 won't leak out THA badly, but it gives you a general idea as to what to expect.

Dec 13, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #18,937 of 48,562
To get a general idea as to what a fully open headphone sounds like, hold a full sized headphone in the air with the cups spread apart. Hold it out in front of you. Does the sound playing bother you? That's as much as an open headphone leaks at it's worst. Granted, the Q701 won't leak out THA badly, but it gives you a general idea as to what to expect.

Got it. I don't care about leakage for me, and if your example is an extreme, it'll work.

Thanks for the guide. I tried to go through it thoroughly before asking questions. Since you haven't commented on the Mixamp Pro/E17 combo, I'm guessing it will be fine.

Dec 13, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #18,938 of 48,562
No. The Q701 needs, deserves a bit more power than the E17. Nothing short of the E9k, IMHO. It's also one of the headphones to benefit noticeably from better/more powerful amps. I've stated on the guide that amping isn't necessary if using it without a microphone for gaming, but it does improve considerably. Don't bother attaching a mic without some powerful amp to drive it.

Dec 13, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #18,939 of 48,562
No. The Q701 needs, deserves a lot more power than the E17. Nothing short of the E9k, IMHO. It's also one of the headphones to benefit noticeably from better/more powerful amps.

I looked at the E9k with that reasoning in mind, but found that it wasn't also a DAC. I wanted to avoid an E9k and E17 combo to save a little cash. I guess not.

Would the Sony MA900s leak just as much as the Q701s or any other open set?

Dec 13, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #18,940 of 48,562

What do you think?

If you want less leak, just don't look for any open headphone. here is where I'd recommend the Mad Dogs.

Dec 13, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #18,942 of 48,562
Mixamp Pro is the best, IMHO. You'll have to hunt for the previous version if you want the least amount of hiss. Ebay has them for sale once in awhile. I'm also selling mine if you're interested, and in the US. Works perfectly with the PS4, assuming you use both the headphone and mic directly with the Mixamp (and not the PS4 controller's audio out).

Dec 13, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #18,944 of 48,562
No, the Mad Dog also scales very well with stronger amps (i mentioned this on the guide). Again, nothing short of an E9K. A Magni at the least would be even more ideal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back