Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 22, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #18,242 of 48,565
i believe MLE said it works with voice chat after update

Nov 22, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #18,244 of 48,565
Has anyone here already tried to connect his Astro Mixamp (2011) via USB to the PS4? Any confirmation for the consoles software support yet?
I'm in EU so I have to wait for my unit until 29.

When you turn on your ps4 make sure you activate your dualshock 4 with your profile first. Then plug in the mixamp, turn it on, then activate it after your ps4 detects it.

Make sure you activate your dualshock 4 before the mixamp or else chat won't work. Also, make sure the mixamp is on before activating it on your profile or chat will not work either.

Your profile has to read the controller first and then the mixamp. I do not know why, but it works this way without any issues.

Nov 22, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #18,245 of 48,565
For everybody asking about akg K7x series headphones with an Asus STX, IMO they dont pair well together. I have the akg k702 annies, and I was driving them from the STX, and they sounded really harsh. It was fatiguing to listen too, and required a significant bass boost from 55hz to 156hz, and even them it was very sibilant. I wasn't able to listen to the headphones at any volume over 28 on lowest amp setting, and around 10 on middle setting. Obviously these need juice to run, but they were just plain harsh at most volumes. 

I was about to return my annies, until I listened to them from my ibasso d12, and the difference was pretty big. It was smoother and I could detect the warmness everybody talks about. 

Now I run the annies exactly how my sig states. Do I think you need to get an STX? No, not a chance and it would be a waste of money. If I did not already own the STX I would have went with a dg or dx. 

ETA: the stx and the sennheiser hd598s pair really well, and I used this setup for roughly two years. 

Nov 23, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #18,246 of 48,565
Welp, got the Xbox One in today and so far it's a really nice system. Tons of features (that I originally thought were pretty lame and unnecessary) but I think MS has really got something good on their hands entertainment wise.

Hooked up the Mixamp to the optical port (with Stereo output in the Xbox settings, DTS of course is not compatible and selecting it just gives you a bunch of crackling in your headphones). 

What's all this I hear about Astro saying even without the Dolby Output (which Microsoft will be fixing in a future update, post launch) the Astro still takes the Stereo signal and uses Prologic II or something and still gives you Dolby Headphone? Anyone know what this is all about?

I played some Ghosts and can still pick out footsteps and directional cues are still decent but I don't think they are at their best compared to how it was on the 360.

Mic chat of course is a problem at this time with the Mixamp. I planned on just using my TH900's with Mixamp for game audio and just having the stock headset that comes with the Xbone around my neck so I can voice chat. But the Xbox One doesn't even have the option of having voice chat played through Speakers like the 360 does. Once you plug in the stock headset, all voice chat gets routed to that and I obviously can't have a headset and headphones on my head at the same time 
tongue_smile.gif

I guess I could use the Kinect, but I haven't been able to use it in Ghosts for voice chat for some reason.

Nov 23, 2013 at 1:27 AM Post #18,248 of 48,565
Speaking of. Hey MLE, were you using the DX mic when you were playing the other day? Sounded nice and clear on the stream. I might pick one up.

Yeah, the cheap little DX mic. Works wonders.

As for the K612, I'm sure it's great, but it won't beat the MA900s comfort, so I'm not interested. It will have a similar comfort as the Annies.

Nov 23, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #18,249 of 48,565
  Then would it work to get the STX together with the Audio-GD NFB-15.32 / 11.32  or is it not worth it ?

If you get the 15.32 or 11.32, you will have not a use for a sound card's headphone amplifier or DAC.
Chances are you will use a USB connection for music and the S/PDIF for gaming and movies.
So get a low cost sound card for the surround sound features, like the Sound Blaster Z OEM, or a used Xonar DX.
I'm planning of selling of my STX and using my old Xonar DX card, with my 15.32.

Nov 23, 2013 at 3:39 AM Post #18,250 of 48,565
Are you serious that THIS sounds good MLE/others who've heard it?? This is the one youre talking about?
http://dx.com/p/mini-clip-on-microphone-7080
Wow..I'd expect it to do the job but sound like you're talking through a tin can at that price

I was thinking if trying my m100 inline mic on the stock cable for ps3 gaming but for PC I use a USB Blue eyeball. Not great but decent. Actually I also have this which I've used for videos its not bad, only downside is it needs small camera batteries.http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/664437-REG/Audio_Technica_ATR3350_ATR3350_Omnidirectional_Condenser_Lavalier.html

The modmic looks like a decent solution too but no way I'm sticking that thing on my th600s!

Nov 23, 2013 at 4:44 AM Post #18,251 of 48,565
I heard myself through twitch. The DX mic sounded crisp and clear. That's all I need.

Now that I have unlocked Dead Silence and Amplify, I'm pwning sum nubz on Ghosts. coD is FINALLY back to having a clear advantage for headphone users (w/Dead Silence and Amplify). Make sure to buy those perks first.

Soundwhoring for the win. I did all this with the Kossheiser PX175. :p

Nov 23, 2013 at 6:20 AM Post #18,252 of 48,565
Quick question, the music i like to listen to is stuff like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnSPJap_6fc and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHjpOzsQ9YI
Which fits best for this kind of music the K702 or Q701 ?

Nov 23, 2013 at 7:17 AM Post #18,253 of 48,565
I heard myself through twitch. The DX mic sounded crisp and clear. That's all I need.

Now that I have unlocked Dead Silence and Amplify, I'm pwning sum nubz on Ghosts. coD is FINALLY back to having a clear advantage for headphone users (w/Dead Silence and Amplify). Make sure to buy those perks first.

Soundwhoring for the win. I did all this with the Kossheiser PX175.
tongue.gif

hope your useing stalker with those perks because that stuff is too good not to have. 8)

Nov 23, 2013 at 7:42 AM Post #18,254 of 48,565
Stalker on some, quick draw on others. I always need Scavenger and Sleight of Hand. That VEPR SMG with grip and rapid fire = the bawls. Also loving the MR28 for most TDM and long range maps. Most of the ARs are really good. The LMGs have two really good ones, and the SMGs are a bit nerfed but pretty amazing on tight corner maps.

Waiting to unlock the USR = ACOG. Reminds me of the bolt action Sniper in CoD4. Stable, one hit kill more often than not. Used it on private match as a test, and I fell in love.

Nov 23, 2013 at 7:58 AM Post #18,255 of 48,565
Stalker on some, quick draw on others. I always need Scavenger and Sleight of Hand. That VEPR SMG with grip and rapid fire = the bawls. Also loving the MR28 for most TDM and long range maps. Most of the ARs are really good. The LMGs have two really good ones, and the SMGs are a bit nerfed but pretty amazing on tight corner maps.

Waiting to unlock the USR = ACOG. Reminds me of the bolt action Sniper in CoD4. Stable, one hit kill more often than not. Used it on private match as a test, and I fell in love.

I mostly use AK-12 / remington/ SA with foregrip + muzzle brake its really good and then stalker + focus + sleight of hand + some other perks. I only use a main gun so i can get more perks, its kind of a waste to get scavenger when you can just pick up other peoples weapons. Stalker is proly the strongest perk because nothing can really beat moving fast while aiming in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back